Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Default Ford Warranty

Does anyone know exactly what is and isn't covered with the Ford Warranty? I did have a quick look in the manual but I couldn't see what I was looking for.

I thought that with a 3 year warranty everything other than wear and tear is covered.

So say if I had a squeaky brake pedal (the pedal itself) should that be covered? What about interior trim that's not sitting correctly? If the trim needed replacing, should that be covered?

Old 10-09-2012, 11:40 AM   #2
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Default Re: Ford Warranty

You would think that everything would be covered. But experience tells something completely different.

I bought my Fiesta brand new, after 3 months of ownership, on the hoist for the first time my mechanic discovered rust underneath, took it back to Ford - they said it was normal, inspectors from NSW Fair Trading disagreed, Ford then changed its mind and parts and labor cost them just shy of $10K....

Pinging of the engine (even when run on 98 from new) has been written off by Ford as a 'characteristic' of modern cars.....

I have had a squeak in the dash from new, and I was told just to live with it, it should sort itself out.... so warranty didn't cover that for me.

Brakes and rotors went at 40K, that was another 'characteristic' of European cars..... (that was the case in the 80s, not today; EVO's Opel Insignia's rotors lasted 100K miles....)

Clutch went at 60K. Ford informed me that expected clutch life in a European car is between 40-80K kms, so mine fell right in the middle.

Brakes and clutches are wear and tear, sure - but it is dissappointing to see them need replacing so soon, especially when the Japanese Mazda 2 which shares 80% of parts with the Fiesta has no such issues.

Whether the items such as you mentioned fall under warranty is irrelevant; in my experience (and many others on this forum) it is evident that Ford will try and get out of it where they can until pursued by the authorities. This is a shame and does nothing for Ford PR.

Carsguide in the Daily Tele is also littered with letters from Ford owners who have difficulty getting things replaced/repaired under warranty.

I imagine that ill fitting trim or squeaky pedals will be dismissed as a characteristic of the car. I hope you have much better luck than I have with Ford.
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I had a lot of things replaced that I never expected under warranty ... but i think it comes down to the dealer/service department.

I had things like a lower mis-aligned sill panel fixed ... drivers door had a creak and a little bit of movement in it ... and fog light globes replaced.

All things that weren't advised by me to them ... as i never thought they'd do it in the first place ... was pleasantly surprised that they were picked up and fixed.

If you want a decent service department ... head to Winford Ford in McGraths Hill NSW ... always a top experience there ... and I will be taking the FG there while still in warranty ... even though I have about 5 other closer dealerships/service departments to me.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
obd

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly
Does anyone know exactly what is and isn't covered with the Ford Warranty? I did have a quick look in the manual but I couldn't see what I was looking for.

I thought that with a 3 year warranty everything other than wear and tear is covered.

So say if I had a squeaky brake pedal (the pedal itself) should that be covered? What about interior trim that's not sitting correctly? If the trim needed replacing, should that be covered?
To answer your question, if your Ford dealer looks at your squeaky clutch pedal and all it need is a lube/adjustment thats at your cost, if the part is faulty, then Ford will cover the cost.
Same situation with your interior trim if its warped (manufacturing fault) Ford will be paying, but if it needs resecuring (if owner has caused fault) you may have to pay if time is spent on it.
obd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2012, 01:07 PM   #5
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
Pinging of the engine (even when run on 98 from new) has been written off by Ford as a 'characteristic' of modern cars.....
I surely hope you went to FORD head office with this ? or a different dealer?

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2012, 01:11 PM   #6
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
I surely hope you went to FORD head office with this ? or a different dealer?
I've been to Dale Ford, Cumberland, Peter Warren and Sinclair. All exactly the same response.

Ford "Head Office", as such, cannot be reached by the Ford customer - no, we get to deal with the 'lovely' people in the Ford CRC centre on the phone, who have told me the dealer's conclusion is final. Emails to management further up the line of course go unanswered, because they must go via Ford CRC first, who state that the dealer's decision is final..... and on and on it goes....
Old 10-09-2012, 01:15 PM   #7
JohnK2201
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well as you did with the rust, take the engine situation to fair trading?

2011 Ford Falcon FG XR6 Sedan Limited Edition in Nitro
19" F6 'Twist' Wheels, XR Leather Trim, 7" Color Screen, Reverse Sensors, Grey Bumper Ascents, XForce S/S Catback, XR Leather Armrest, K&N Panel Filter, XR6 Airbox Badge, Engine Shiny Bits, Headlight Globes
To come:

My Ride Thread

Wakeboard and Gear for Sale - $550 ONO
Follow the link - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4458482#post4458482

JohnK2201 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #8
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK2201
Well as you did with the rust, take the engine situation to fair trading?
Unlike the rust, which was very obvious for all to see, the car pings in hot weather - but not cold/damp.

I have demonstrated the pinging to several service managers at Ford - with no result "pinging's completely normal in cars these days" etc

Fair Trading have informed me that they may need my car for up to a week for the pinging. Considering I use the car to get to work, and public transport is not an option where I live, I would be taking a huge pay cut and jepordising my job if indeed it did take a week (it may only take a day but its a gamble). Am considering taking a bit of a financial hit (4 yr lease) and selling just before the 3 yr warranty runs out.

I don't believe anyone should be placed in such a situation if they buy a new car: Ford should be able to stand behind their warranty and there be no need for litigation.