Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 09-08-2006, 10:53 AM   #1
EF_Ghia

Default Manual Conversion

Hey, just wanna confirm with you all will an EA T5 box fit into an EF? I currently have an auto and would like to fit an EA Box into my EF, also will i need another driveshaft or can i use my existing auto shaft?

Also with the ECU is it fine to use my auto computer & make the necessary adjustments to it, when i find out what they are...

Cheers

EF_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2006, 10:55 AM   #2
EA2BA
PM me if you want

I am sure the EA T5 is not synchro or something, so pretty mucha crappy manual, but better then none.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2006, 11:15 AM   #3
SupahStah
Tha Stah

EA Box will fit in to a EF no probs. I am pretty sure you can use your EF tailshaft?
You need to setup a resister mod into your wiring loom. Which will make your Auto ECU think it is in "Neutral" all the time, which also raises the idle speed - so you need to adjust that also.

Dont quote me on that lol
Soon To Come: |Largish Cam + Chip|
ETA: *When the bank account is ready *
SupahStah is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2006, 11:49 AM   #4
hppsc
Banned

Ok, if you don't know about something, why bother replying?

The EA T5 is EXACTLY the same as a EBII onwards box, except it doesn't have a reverse brake, i.e: you have to go to 1st, or 4th, to neutralise the box, before going to reverse. And also, it has slightly different ratios. The EA T5 has a 3.5:1 first gear, which is very high compared with EBII onwards boxes.

The tailshaft will fit, no problems. Use your automatic crossmember as well.

The EA gearbox loom is different and won't plug straight into your EF Loom. EBII/ED/EF all have a seperate gearbox loom, while EL had a singular engine loom. You will need to wire up your own Gearbox loom using your Automatic loom, or order an EF loom from ford/wrecker.

The automatic ECU. I haven't put any resistors on mine, and the only problem I have is that the box idles high when you start the car, and holds the revs when you try and change gears. It is recommended that you get a Manual computer, and cos you are running an EF, you need to find a coil pack EECV ECU.

Where do you live? If you're in melbourne, I am thinking of doing these conversions out of my workshop for people, as most mechanics wouldn't know their **** from their elbow when it comes to ford T5 conversions.
hppsc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2006, 12:10 PM   #5
EF_Ghia

Im in sydney, but prepared to drive down for a conversion depending on your price.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:17 PM   #6
EF_Ghia

Thank's for all the advise! i appreciate it. Im looking to spend around 5-700 all up for a conversion.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:46 PM   #7
BLSTIC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

might be a bit much, i have spent a total of 440 so far (box, clutch, flywheel, pedals, tailshatf -370 flywheel + clutch bolts, clutch cable - $70) and the gearbox is ready to drop in with anouther $2 worth of resistors

cya
Ben
BLSTIC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2006, 03:17 PM   #8
RavenLS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hppsc
Ok, if you don't know about something, why bother replying?

The EA T5 is EXACTLY the same as a EBII onwards box, except it doesn't have a reverse brake, i.e: you have to go to 1st, or 4th, to neutralise the box, before going to reverse. And also, it has slightly different ratios. The EA T5 has a 3.5:1 first gear, which is very high compared with EBII onwards boxes.

The tailshaft will fit, no problems. Use your automatic crossmember as well.

The EA gearbox loom is different and won't plug straight into your EF Loom. EBII/ED/EF all have a seperate gearbox loom, while EL had a singular engine loom. You will need to wire up your own Gearbox loom using your Automatic loom, or order an EF loom from ford/wrecker.

The automatic ECU. I haven't put any resistors on mine, and the only problem I have is that the box idles high when you start the car, and holds the revs when you try and change gears. It is recommended that you get a Manual computer, and cos you are running an EF, you need to find a coil pack EECV ECU.

Where do you live? If you're in melbourne, I am thinking of doing these conversions out of my workshop for people, as most mechanics wouldn't know their **** from their elbow when it comes to ford T5 conversions.
i run an auto comp and have no probs with revs hanging.and i have no resistor mod just a modded wireing loom and imo a ea box is heaps better than the latter ebii box for proper launches.btw ive had both the ea/eb1 box and a eb2 box in my car( not at the same time lol) and i prefere the short 1 gear.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:22 PM   #9
hppsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLSTIC
might be a bit much, i have spent a total of 440 so far (box, clutch, flywheel, pedals, tailshatf -370 flywheel + clutch bolts, clutch cable - $70) and the gearbox is ready to drop in with anouther $2 worth of resistors

cya
Ben
$370 on the box, clutch, flywheel, pedals and tailshaft? You're going to use a 3 bolt clutch i assume? for that price? Plus, the clutch you're putting in it, is it the old one that came with the conversion? Is it still in good condition?

Here's my conversion run down;

- $500 for whole conversion, including flywheel and clutch. I didn't use the flywheel and clutch from this conversion though, cos it is a 3 bolt EA style flywheel/clutch. EA and EB series 1 had 3 bolt clutches, while EBII > EL had 6 bolt flywheels.

Then I needed
- $50, 6 bolt flywheel
- $40, Flywheel machining
- $285, Brand new Extreme 900kg Heavy duty clutch kit (friction plate, pressure plate, and thrust bearing)
- $60, Clutch cable (new)
- $100, Mal wood clutch pin for automatic pedal box (So i didn't have to install a manual pedal box)

Grand total: $1035. That doesn't even include oil for the gearbox, hoist time, etc.

If you want to convert your car to manual cheaply, that's the best way to do it. Don't waste your time putting the box in with an old clutch, because it'll be more of a hinder than a help.

Ben, What kind of car are you converting?

Cheers.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:24 PM   #10
hppsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_RAVEN
i run an auto comp and have no probs with revs hanging.and i have no resistor mod just a modded wireing loom and imo a ea box is heaps better than the latter ebii box for proper launches.btw ive had both the ea/eb1 box and a eb2 box in my car( not at the same time lol) and i prefere the short 1 gear.
Yeah, so do i actually. The EA box gets me to 100 quicker than anything else i've ever driven..

I seem to have fixed the revs hanging problem, by unplugging the ISC at the throttle body. The car seemed to idle a bit funny, as in dropping revs, etc, but it's settled down after a drive now. It drives perfectly using the auto computer with the ISC unplugged..
Old 09-08-2006, 05:29 PM   #11
BLSTIC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know i really should find a 6-bolt clutch/flywheel, but mine is in good nick (springs dont move and there is plenty of meat left, and nothing is purple from heat), and i dont plan on thrashing the **** out of it, so its going in.

Quote:
- $100, Mal wood clutch pin for automatic pedal box (So i didn't have to install a manual pedal box)
i made my own up, cost $4 in materials and about an hour or so on the lathe.

The clutch cable actually came with the kit, but it has since walked, so i have to buy a new one.

my price looks like:

gearbox, clutch, pedals etc $370
clutch cable $70
Oil $25 (i think)
Flywheel bolts $10
Bar stock (pedal pin) $4

total $479

I dont think I will be machining the flywheel/clutch assembly as it has a good surface, and hasnt been stressed (no cracks or purple bits).

and its in an EF Futura (or going to be, anyway)
Old 09-08-2006, 05:45 PM   #12
hppsc
Banned

Well, you should ALWAYS machine the flywheel before it goes into the car. Personally I don't like doing things cheaply, as in my experience, it usually means more work and money.

Got pictures of your clutch pin? I'd like to see it, as if it does the same job as the mal wood one, I may use you as my supplier for them.

Cheers
Old 09-08-2006, 05:48 PM   #13
BLSTIC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I cant take the pin out at home here (need a really big spanner and vice grips, which i dont have here).

but all i did was copy the ford weld in design, and put a thread and cone washer on it.

ill try take some in car photos if i can get a camera.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:57 PM   #14
BLSTIC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ok, do you want them emailed to you or do i have to find a way to put them up here?
Old 09-08-2006, 06:11 PM   #15
hppsc
Banned

email them to me at resolv50a@netspace.net.au

cheers
Old 09-08-2006, 06:23 PM   #16
BLSTIC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sent
obviously they arent that fuzzy in real life though.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:25 PM   #17
hppsc
Banned

Ah yeah, thanks for the pictures mate. Looks really good! Are you gunna hacksaw your brake pedal off? I have a smaller brake pedal here, cos i just cut my auto brake pedal and put the smaller rubber over it..
Old 09-08-2006, 06:32 PM   #18
BLSTIC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

most likely

removing the pedal appears to be a pedal box (and dash) out job.

Ill see how the gearbox performs first though, as it has about half inch of clearance, which is enough.

if the box is rooted, the auto might go back in.

cya
Ben
Old 09-08-2006, 06:36 PM   #19
hppsc
Banned

Yeah, i was crapping my pants when i put mine in, hoping it would be ok. I did all the prep work, cutting, etc, with the pre-assumption that the box was fine.

And it's more than fine, it's perfect! So i got lucky.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:40 PM   #20
BLSTIC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have already looked at the inside of it, and its ok so far. a mystery chunk of metal, but it was tiny, and the only thing i couldnt inspect was half of the reverse idler, so it should be ok.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:44 PM   #21
hppsc
Banned

you opened the box? what for? lol
Old 09-08-2006, 08:42 PM   #22
BLSTIC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

because i could, and its better to find out now that its rooted. ebay buy too, cant be too careful.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:44 PM   #23
efgiar
rofl copter

its easy as pie, u just need to bridge the nuetral switch (or put it on if u can get ur hands up there, i couldnt) and plug the reverse wires in, then the resistor mod, ef tailshaft will go on and the auto crossmember aswell, i was running resistors and i put the manual ecu in and i didnt notice a change at all, apart from the idle which sat at 1000-1100 for a minute then dropped down to what it sits at with the manual ecu, not worth the 200 for the manual ecu IMO

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 10:27 AM   #24
EF_Ghia

Any1 know how much i could sell my Auto box for in Melbourne and where? Box in very good condition with 180ks
Old 18-08-2006, 09:37 PM   #25
cringe

Cool EA 5 speed into EL Ghia

i bought an EA with a 5 speed off ebay this week for 418.. got the gearbox out.. gotta still pull out the pedals and clutch, then gonna install into my EL ghia. gearbox came out of ea no problems. has neautral switch up top (assume this stops it starting if not in neutral).. and reverse switch on side..

anyone know what wires the resistor goes between on the EL loom?

will let you know how rest of dismantle goes.
and install into the EL too.

been taking pics too.. will upload them to the web when i get a chance.
cringe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2006, 02:12 AM   #26
Christiaan
Tuned @ Pitlane Frankston

cringe, was that the 5 speed ea from frankston?
Christiaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2006, 10:32 AM   #27
cringe

Cool pedalbox out

that's the one.
got a permit, and drove it home, it drove perfectly..
gearbox had no noise, and shifted smoothly.
pulled the pedal box out this morning.
totally ********* the dash getting it out.. oops!
need any bits out of it? or were you after the same bits as me?
Old 19-08-2006, 11:23 AM   #28
cringe

Cool couple 'o transplant pics!

Jack was here...

show us your box...

pedalbox..

more pics and stuff at cold7.com :
Old 19-08-2006, 01:56 PM   #29
Damo
Banned

that's a pretty greasy looking box you got there. :P Good luck with the conversion.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2006, 02:10 PM   #30
SupahStah
Tha Stah

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_RAVEN
So you say the Auto ECU is the same as the manual ECU ??
I do not see how it can be 100% fine if your running an auto ecu on a manual box??
Soon To Come: |Largish Cam + Chip|
ETA: *When the bank account is ready *
SupahStah is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post