Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 12-05-2017, 11:56 AM   #1
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default LT 2008 Focus 2.0 serpentine "tick tick" noise

Hello Focii Folk.

My 2.0 Duratec has developed a fast paced 'tick tick tick' noise around the serpentine belt area. So it's one of the pulleys, I am assuming.

Spraying some WD temporarily gets rid of the noise, but under load, around 2000rpm it comes back.

So I started at the cheapest point, the tensioner pulley. It was $20 and indeed was all gritty and rattley. I expected that to fix it.

Nope noise is still there.

Anyone else had this issue? Keen to for advice. (a part from take it to Ford) I'm also pretty sure it is around the serpentine belt area, and not an IMRC or flap issue, as the noise goes when I spray WD on the belt area.

Last edited by leakey; 12-05-2017 at 12:16 PM.
leakey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2017, 11:59 AM   #2
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 
Default Re: LT 2008 Focus 2.0 serpentine "tick tick" noise

If you spray the belt and the noise goes away temporarily, then comes back, it is usually an alignment issue.

Is there any belt wobble (ie. side to side) as far as you can see? If so, a pulley bearing could be the issue (sometimes even a pulley itself).

When the belt was removed, did you inspect all the pulleys? I would check each pulley for noise. You can also try and rock each pulley and check for excessive play, due to worn bearings.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2017, 06:03 PM   #3
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks DZ'

So bloody tight down that gap for your hands...
Old 18-05-2017, 07:59 PM   #4
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Yeah tell me about it
Old 05-06-2017, 01:28 PM   #5
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In terms of alignment, the only adjustment is seeing if a pully or bearing is worn, yes?

It's not like you can adjust the tensioner side to side? I did replace it, the tensioner bearing and pulley, but noise is still there.

Belt looks OK, but has never been replaced in 105K, so will do that too.

- and will check other pulleys while I'm at it.

Hmmz, if it is water pump or alternator, can just bearing be done on alternator or is it just best to replace the lot? (maybe wreckers is the go)
Old 06-06-2017, 12:14 AM   #6
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah spot on, check all the accessories for a worn bearing. Check for excessive play.

Correct, the tensioner can't be adjusted in or out.

And yeah you can pull off press-fit pulleys using a puller (eg. AC clutch pulley), or other pulleys that aren't press-fit can just be undone by loosening the centre nut (eg. alternator).