Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-07-2010, 08:02 PM   #1
GASXD

Default Alternator issues????

Hello all,
Now I have a 01 model series 2 Au falc 6cyl. Some time back (6 months) I replaced the battery as the other one called it a day. Now she has been running ok ever since then however the other day I had to replace the HP line to the power steering pump as it was weeping. I had gone for a short drive down the road only to notice the battery light flicker on/off for a few seconds, but hasnt done it since. Now I'v noticed she is running a lil rough since then. When I push down on the power window buttons to shut the windows the revs drop and she shudders and then picks up again. I'm leaning towards a dieing alternator due to the ingress of PS fluid, however would it cause the low/rough idle? Just wanting to know if anyone out there has had similar issues.
Cheers
Doug.

GASXD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2010, 08:43 AM   #2
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

The leak can give the alternator trouble. Give it a good dousing through with brake cleaner before replaceing it cause I have heard some have been revived by doing it. Unless you are at replacement decision though, don't do it as it may not work. What I am trying to say is, before you pull it off to replace it, try it. You have nothing to loose and it could revive it. At worst, it will be cleaner to remove!
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2010, 09:48 AM   #3
burnz
VFII SS UTE

if the brushes on the alternator have become soaked in oil they fail to deliver the correct amount of electicty/current to the exciter.
clean or replace the bushes/regulator.

be shure to wipe clean the slip rings which they slide on.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2010, 10:12 AM   #4
Fuzzlet
Starter Motor

Did you disconnect the battery when you changed over the line? Reason I ask is when I changed the battery in my XR6, I followed the instructions for 'resetting' the ecu. For the first week or so, the car's revs would drop when I'd use the windows or turn the headlights on, but it sorted itself out though
Old 25-07-2010, 02:35 PM   #5
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASXD
I had gone for a short drive down the road only to notice the battery light flicker on/off for a few seconds
I had a similar thing happen but it got progressively worse.

I decided that I would replace the alternator so removed it and so not to get covered in goop I cleaned it up with degreaser and hosed it out.
Because I wasn't concerned about how much degreaser or water got in, or where it got in to, I drowned the thing. I then gave it a thorough blow out with compressed air.

My wife rang around auto electricians the next morning (Saturday) but lo and behold couldn't find one around here that was open Sat morning :(

Rather than have the car immobile for the weekend I reinstalled the alternator.

Believe it or not, two years later that same alternator is still in the car and hasn't missed a beat.

I would suggest to anyone with a dicky alt caused by leaking ps fluid to try degreasing and drowning the alt first but only if you're resigned to replacing it if that doesn't work.

As already mentioned the "roughness" may improve by resetting the ecu and driving it a bit.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2010, 03:01 PM   #6
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
I would suggest to anyone with a dicky alt caused by leaking ps fluid to try degreasing and drowning the alt first but only if you're resigned to replacing it if that doesn't work.
Wise words.
Ensure it is completely and utterly dry before you try and use it again, however.
Old 25-07-2010, 07:20 PM   #7
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Ensure it is completely and utterly dry before you try and use it again, however.
Yeah, I'm sure that the reason it was resurrected is because I blew it out with compressed air after it's bath.

Funny how life works... I remember thinking that I'd just let it drip dry - what would it matter to me? I was replacing it anyway.

Then I thought "what the heck" no point costing the auto leckie any more than he needs to spend to refurbish it.

So I did it... and it did it... and we've both lived in harmony ever since, lol
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2010, 09:39 PM   #8
GASXD

Default Alternator issues????

Hi all,
Thanks to all for your thoughts.
Fuzz, all I did when replacing the HP line was place a plastic bag over the alt and just replaced it, battey remained connected. The car has 130,000kms on it and I'm under the impression that its been leaking for some time. I'm thinking to replace it as Im able to get one off evilbay for $190 genuine Ford (not sure if thats a good thing).
GASXD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post