Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 22-02-2006, 07:17 PM   #1
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Default WHEELS mag - HANDLING OLYMPICS

Did anyone pick up the latest issue today?

Great to see the Fiesta Zetec pulling 19th... infront of the Astra CDX and JUST behind the Focus Zetec. Interesting to note how close times were with the Focus and Fiesta. Apparently the Fiesta braked pretty well... and lateral Gs were great for the car. Beat the Focus and Golf GTI - even the GT liberty. They even quote it should overtake these cars on a big fat long sweeper. However - i guess entry speed depends too.

Pretty good read though!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 07:27 PM   #2
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

WOW. I just continued reading it. They got the Focus pretty hard! Apparently it is consistantly 17th or worse.

The Fiesta beat it in:
Peak lateral Gs. 13th for Fiesta vs 18th for the Focus
Slalom. 11th vs 17th
Braking. 14th vs 20th (Which was LAST - basically the Focus stopped quicker then the anti-benchmark; the Holden Commodore Executive)

Disappointed...

*** Also - a Killer for Holden/HSV. The Astra out brakes a Clubsport. I thought the clubsport was a performance car.... great performance that was!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 22-02-2006, 07:45 PM   #3
rider007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
WOW. I just continued reading it. They got the Focus pretty hard! Apparently it is consistantly 17th or worse.

The Fiesta beat it in:
Peak lateral Gs. 13th for Fiesta vs 18th for the Focus
Slalom. 11th vs 17th
Braking. 14th vs 20th (Which was LAST - basically the Focus stopped quicker then the anti-benchmark; the Holden Commodore Executive)

Disappointed...

*** Also - a Killer for Holden/HSV. The Astra out brakes a Clubsport. I thought the clubsport was a performance car.... great performance that was!

IMO Wheels magazine should be taken with a large grain of salt. They consistently stuff up results and road tests. Take for example last months Car of The Year Edition. They were bagging the focus's appalling headlights in the main body write up, but if you read elsewhere there was one paragraph hidden saying that it was actually a blown globe that caused it. Also take note that the new Golf GTI only managed to place one above the Focus yet in Europe this has been called the best handling front wheel drive car of the year. Compared to the competition of Porsches, HSV's , Imprezza, Evo's , etc the Focus and Fiesta will be left wanting in a lot of departments. They should really subdivide it into various classes, eg Hot Hatch, Performance Sedans, Performance Coupes, All Wheel Drive.
Old 22-02-2006, 08:00 PM   #4
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider007
IMO Wheels magazine should be taken with a large grain of salt. They consistently stuff up results and road tests. Take for example last months Car of The Year Edition. They were bagging the focus's appalling headlights in the main body write up, but if you read elsewhere there was one paragraph hidden saying that it was actually a blown globe that caused it. Also take note that the new Golf GTI only managed to place one above the Focus yet in Europe this has been called the best handling front wheel drive car of the year. Compared to the competition of Porsches, HSV's , Imprezza, Evo's , etc the Focus and Fiesta will be left wanting in a lot of departments. They should really subdivide it into various classes, eg Hot Hatch, Performance Sedans, Performance Coupes, All Wheel Drive.
Agree with you there! I guess you can never take them seriously. Firstly, they use the driver's thoughts too often (ie the Golf GTI came last - what the?!) - and that stupid BMEP test - Brake Mean Effective Pressure from the engine. I don't care about how science works - all i care about is how fast it goes, how good it stops, and how great it handles. Calculations are boring IMO.

For instance - the RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup had great Slalom scores, perfect lateral Gs and great 0-100 time, yet failed to get a good lap time (which was actually it's worse rank!). HOW can a car get higher ranks in EVERYTHING and yet be bad at a lap... very odd!

Old 22-02-2006, 08:19 PM   #5
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Agree with you there! I guess you can never take them seriously. Firstly, they use the driver's thoughts too often (ie the Golf GTI came last - what the?!) - and that stupid BMEP test - Brake Mean Effective Pressure from the engine. I don't care about how science works - all i care about is how fast it goes, how good it stops, and how great it handles. Calculations are boring IMO.

For instance - the RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup had great Slalom scores, perfect lateral Gs and great 0-100 time, yet failed to get a good lap time (which was actually it's worse rank!). HOW can a car get higher ranks in EVERYTHING and yet be bad at a lap... very odd!
Bad gearing, bad top end. Everything you mention is low gearing, the Clio lacks torque and is thus not quite so sharp overall around a track that might involve too many straights.
Old 22-02-2006, 08:22 PM   #6
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
Bad gearing, bad top end. Everything you mention is low gearing, the Clio lacks torque and is thus not quite so sharp overall around a track that might involve too many straights.
Being Oran Park and low 40 times... i think it didn't have straights. Also, the Clio performs very well in straights; 0-100 in 7.2seconds. 200Nm for a small lightweight car (1050kg) i think is enough torque! Polo GTI with turbo is only 20Nm more... but another 200kg too!

Old 22-02-2006, 08:23 PM   #7
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I was comparing to larger cars. I haven't read the article but I know for a fact that a Clio from 100-200kmh wouldn't be bearly as good as from 100km/h-200km/h. That would be it's relative weakness.

Still waiting for my bloody magazine, subscription and all... grrrr
Old 22-02-2006, 08:28 PM   #8
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Max speed on Lap was about 110kmh to 137kmh. So, not a long straight.

Interesting was the ability of a CayenneS to beat a SS in slalom. HAHHAHAH

Quote:
Still waiting for my bloody magazine, subscription and all... grrrr
Yea, i gave up. Firstly, to subscribe now you save $5 and get a free key ring BUT you get the Magazine usually a day late, and Mr Postman likes to bend/rip it! I'd much rather walk 20m from work and get my clean copy....

Old 22-02-2006, 10:54 PM   #9
Lagom

Quote:
Yea, i gave up. Firstly, to subscribe now you save $5 and get a free key ring BUT you get the Magazine usually a day late, and Mr Postman likes to bend/rip it! I'd much rather walk 20m from work and get my clean copy....
Late delivery was the reason why I didn't renew my subscription, it was a gift anyway.

Given it's so easy to get magazines, I really didn't see the point of paying in advance to get the magazine later. With other magazines, you often have the privilege of receiving the mag earlier when you subscribe.
Lagom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 11:58 PM   #10
zetec
Zoom Zoom

It is a joke. Only reason I still subscribe is tax claims... working in the motor industry justifies it... makes bugger all difference though!!

I could just get a receipt each time I buy.

It's settled then. I'll quit and buy monthly.
Old 23-02-2006, 01:00 AM   #11
Mick K.

Well I just got a Wheels subscription too and just got my mag an hour ago (9pm at night) so my local distributor must be using some dogdey delivery service - and sounds it's not unique to me in Brisbane. What happened to the days when subscribers would get the mag a day or 2 before the newsagents?

MK
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2006, 02:55 AM   #12
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick K.
Well I just got a Wheels subscription too and just got my mag an hour ago (9pm at night) so my local distributor must be using some dogdey delivery service - and sounds it's not unique to me in Brisbane. What happened to the days when subscribers would get the mag a day or 2 before the newsagents?

MK
What the?! Mine comes in the Post.... and the Postman doesnt work at 9pm! And yea, when i first did it i would get it 1 day before the Newsagent... then it changed to the date it was released... then to 1/2 days late... so i never renewed my subscription!

Old 23-02-2006, 09:28 AM   #13
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My subscription sometimes is 3 days early, and other times is up to 7 days after it hits the newsagents.... I only subscribed to save the money, was $75 i think when i did it last year.

As to the side thread, which is titled... i thought the focus might have done a bit better than it did... maybe it was poor choice in OEM tyres?
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2006, 03:06 PM   #14
Danny
GT4.

I dont care what anyone thinks of credibility of WHEELS. The Fiesta did well. Thats a helluva good result for the little banger.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2006, 05:09 PM   #15
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

It's been noted elsewhere in the Forums that they also seem to test cars during low ambient air temperatures. So they should be "taken with a grain of salt".

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2006, 07:39 PM   #16
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyvan
As to the side thread, which is titled... i thought the focus might have done a bit better than it did... maybe it was poor choice in OEM tyres?
Goodyear Eagle NCT5 :

Whack on a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3's, you'd be doing a lot better.
Old 23-02-2006, 07:39 PM   #17
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
I dont care what anyone thinks of credibility of WHEELS. The Fiesta did well. Thats a helluva good result for the little banger.
Did very well - was disappointed with the times though. Surely it was an Automatic!

Old 23-02-2006, 08:39 PM   #18
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Goodyear Eagle NCT5 :

That would certainly explain it............ Damn shame they didnt have some Wet Tests...! might have crept up the field a little then.
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2006, 08:41 PM   #19
Lagom

Quote:
Trouble is, Goodyear Australia don't have a GS-D3 in 205/50 R17 for the Focus Zetec :(
Lagom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2006, 12:17 AM   #20
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Too true.

I'll just put the 16's on my car then and outhandle an LS. Hang on, I already do!!!!
Old 24-02-2006, 12:29 AM   #21
New2Focus
LS LX Aficionado

Just another tangent on Wheels subs - watch out for the $ on annual renewal notices - some years it's been cheaper to subscribe as a new subscriber per their advertisements rather than renew. Hardly a reward for loyalty.

Had a scrunched up copy thrown on the front lawn a while back despite letter box being big enough to easily hold it securely so rang the magazine - evidently the job is (was?) subcontracted.

Adelaide subscription delivery times also significantly later than newsagent release.

Still, it's a good read.
New2Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2006, 12:37 AM   #22
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I have complained numerous times, so much so that I've had my sub extended more than once. Not much to ask to pay once per year in cold hard cash only to receive it later than anyone else. Sometimes it never arrives. My local agent was so ИИИИ they ended up using Australia Post direct instead... am seriously considering just buying per issue...
Old 24-02-2006, 01:43 AM   #23
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Too true.

I'll just put the 16's on my car then and outhandle an LS. Hang on, I already do!!!!
Omg, and wait - the STOCK Fiesta Zetec outhandles the Focus.

I guess ill lower my car and put good 16 inch rubber :

Old 24-02-2006, 10:34 AM   #24
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagom
Trouble is, Goodyear Australia don't have a GS-D3 in 205/50 R17 for the Focus Zetec :(
mmmm Thought I had a pair of GSD3's on the back of mine....will check tonight
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2006, 12:54 PM   #25
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Stephen you use 45 series from memory... LS Zetec 17's are 50 series...
Old 24-02-2006, 12:55 PM   #26
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Omg, and wait - the STOCK Fiesta Zetec outhandles the Focus.

I guess ill lower my car and put good 16 inch rubber :
It still won't outhandle mine! :
Old 24-02-2006, 02:20 PM   #27
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Stephen you use 45 series from memory... LS Zetec 17's are 50 series...
oooooooooooH!!! 45 vs 50. LR vs LS....Glad someone is awake! Thanks Matt
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2006, 02:33 PM   #28
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
It still won't outhandle mine! :
Haha - will take you up on that offer! Now move on up to Sydney!

Old 24-02-2006, 07:37 PM   #29
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Come down here where we have roads that are made for Eurofords mate!!
Old 25-02-2006, 04:37 PM   #30
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Zetec, I thought you liked the road we used on the Blue Mountains Cruise last year? You had the LS Sedan from work with you.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post