Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-01-2005, 02:31 PM   #31
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6
Bit of an update :

Appears there was quite a bit of a mixup with the figures I was quoted for the job. Spiro has been in contact but due to my phone being out of action and at the Vodafone repair shop being fixed I haven't been able to check any messages.

The follow up on the job by him is appreciated and also goes to show why they are a top class joint.

I'll be back in contact with Spiro @ Autotech on Monday.
I didnt think Spiro would shoot himself in the foot deliberately.You would think after his impressive work on your car with the unichip that the quote would have been more resonable. Its good to see that he is commited to you as a customer. Even though my cam was done elsewhere I have to give Spiro 10/10 for trying. Perhaps he may want to get staff that don't scare the customer away. Without going into much detail they scared me too....Perhaps with this in mind It may be time for a second chance and chip in the near future.

Last edited by Stav; 23-01-2005 at 02:34 PM.
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2005, 07:22 PM   #32
loxxr6
XB in parts...

I didnt think Spiro would shoot himself in the foot deliberately.

I might add that he didn't give the estimate to begin with.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 10:37 PM   #33
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

So where is it going and to who? I still like Joe to do the job but its your call.
Old 26-01-2005, 09:13 AM   #34
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Can't wait to see how it all goes. Even I am getting excited as it gets closer and its not even my car.

I will be over to see Spiro I think soon for a unichip too so watch out.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2005, 10:30 AM   #35
loxxr6
XB in parts...

So where is it going and to who? I still like Joe to do the job but its your call.

Joe @ Crescent is doing the install.

I called Spiro back re: doing the job and the quote he gave me was way cheaper than the first quote. I'd recommend dealing with Spiro direct.

It was decided that we'd stay with Crescent as we had already booked the car in and didn't want to cancel the job at short notice.

I will however be back to Autotech for the retune of the Unichip hopefully soon after.

Can't wait to see how it all goes. Even I am getting excited as it gets closer and its not even my car.

5 sleeps to go...

Old 31-01-2005, 04:13 PM   #36
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Unhappy

When it rains, it pours...

Dropped the car in today, had a chat with Joe - nice guy - discussed his plans for series 1 AU brake upgrades, better intake mod and this thing with the throttle that supposedly gives more torque somehow etc and then I left it in his hands.

Watched Elektra - a bit ordinary - bummed around at Liverpool for a bit then went back to read FHM at the workshop.

Got back, got called over and then received some more news. Looks like that rattling noise I'd hear in the car needed fixing. It was something to do - I lost interest to be honest due to wanting the car back and running - with the timing chain and this other inherent falcon engine problem that occurs due to excessive high revving apparently. He had the same prob with Pierre's car from Fordmods. Someone more technical may now what I'm talking about.

So the car's staying in and he's gonna fix this and do the cam work. He wasn't expecting to have to do all of this so it will be staying a bit longer.

Then to make matters worse I get the train home and take the car keys with me. I was meant to be going to a mates to watch the wrestling (Royal Rumble - i rarely see the wrestling but this event is one of the better ones) so that's off too now.

Anyway, thats my day. I know it will be 100x better when I get the car back.

Old 31-01-2005, 04:22 PM   #37
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

So when are you picking the car up? Today or tomorrow?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2005, 04:42 PM   #38
loxxr6
XB in parts...

If I can get out of work in time I'll aim for tomorrow.

He thinks it should be done sometime tomorrow.

Old 31-01-2005, 11:09 PM   #39
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6
When it rains, it pours...

Dropped the car in today, had a chat with Joe - nice guy - discussed his plans for series 1 AU brake upgrades, better intake mod and this thing with the throttle that supposedly gives more torque somehow etc and then I left it in his hands.

Watched Elektra - a bit ordinary - bummed around at Liverpool for a bit then went back to read FHM at the workshop.

Got back, got called over and then received some more news. Looks like that rattling noise I'd hear in the car needed fixing. It was something to do - I lost interest to be honest due to wanting the car back and running - with the timing chain and this other inherent falcon engine problem that occurs due to excessive high revving apparently. He had the same prob with Pierre's car from Fordmods. Someone more technical may now what I'm talking about.

So the car's staying in and he's gonna fix this and do the cam work. He wasn't expecting to have to do all of this so it will be staying a bit longer.

Then to make matters worse I get the train home and take the car keys with me. I was meant to be going to a mates to watch the wrestling (Royal Rumble - i rarely see the wrestling but this event is one of the better ones) so that's off too now.

Anyway, thats my day. I know it will be 100x better when I get the car back.
Damm!!!I hope it gets all done properly mate.Sorry to hear about the other prob.

Last edited by Stav; 01-02-2005 at 12:38 AM.
Old 31-01-2005, 11:17 PM   #40
xr8ute
Back on the road

Damn...I was looking forward to this too. Hope all goes well tomorrow.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2005, 11:24 PM   #41
The Mighty Red

Yeah good luck tomorrow loxxr6 hope it all goes well ,
Old 31-01-2005, 11:33 PM   #42
XR_Strider_GuY
Boss for Go, L98 for Show
Contributing Member

Loxx,

Just wondering as an AU XR owner, how many km's are on your car. I've heard alot of AU's with over 200k on the clock with no ticking noise. Dare i say it the internals of the AU engine are far stronger than the previous 4.0L I6's. From the cam chain to the rocker assembly they have all been signifcantly improved. As your probably aware the AU engine revs alot cleaner right up to it's redline cutout.

Quick question, do you know what oil your using? One thing i do know is the AU engine does not like thick oil a 5w-30 or 10w-30 (what it says on the cap) is what it's designed for.

I guess when they have fixed the ticking i'll be curious to know what has been repaired. And best of luck tomorrow as a car enthusiast i can feel your frustration in wanting the car to be 100%. Hope all goes well.

Last edited by XR_Strider_GuY; 31-01-2005 at 11:34 PM.
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2005, 12:37 AM   #43
Stav
Smile

I think that is a bummer lox but it sure beats what happened to me with the first engine mate. The loose timing chain is a ticking timebomb.It is way better to get it all working right and not have problems later.I trust Joe and I think he will do the right thing...

Last edited by Stav; 01-02-2005 at 12:39 AM.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:47 AM   #44
EFFalcon
Last warning

don't speak to me about a timing chain...
my car still aint fixed :P

Can't wait till u get it back
shant be long!
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2005, 04:03 PM   #45
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Just wondering as an AU XR owner, how many km's are on your car.
120 odd at the moment.

Quote:
Quick question, do you know what oil your using? One thing i do know is the AU engine does not like thick oil a 5w-30 or 10w-30 (what it says on the cap) is what it's designed for.
Gonna have to check what got put in last time. I had a service not that long ago. What should I be filling up with ?

Old 01-02-2005, 04:42 PM   #46
Stav
Smile

I was in Liverpool today for work and popped in to Joes workshop. He said the guide was cracked...So it was just the luck of the draw that they found it.Dont despair LOXXR6 ,if left alone it would have been a matter of time that valves and pistons would have hit smashing the engine to bits. Especially with dyno tuning and 1/4 mile runs.I know ts bad timing but it sure beats the alternative..
Old 01-02-2005, 06:08 PM   #47
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Yeah plus a crankshaft bolt was loose AND a missing radiator bolt.

He seemed to think that the car was worked on before I had it eg previous owner.

At least now I know it'll be all good when I get it back.

Old 02-02-2005, 12:36 AM   #48
The Mighty Red

Sorry to hear the bad news , when is it guna be ready? Are you having it dyno'ed?
Old 02-02-2005, 02:54 PM   #49
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Should be but its not a Dyno dynamics one.

I'll have to arrange another day when I can get it up on that type of dyno. I guess I should still have a before and after figure to compare anyway....

Old 02-02-2005, 11:10 PM   #50
Stav
Smile

Is it done yet???
Old 03-02-2005, 09:35 AM   #51
loxxr6
XB in parts...

I'll get it at lunchtime today.

He had to drop the sump, reckoned the timing chain was near r00ted too.

I'll head off to Liverpool a little later. It hasn't been a good day. Worst of all is I have no hot water at home....

Not impressed.

Old 03-02-2005, 05:45 PM   #52
xr8ute
Back on the road

hopefully Lachlan is out letting of some steam in his cammed up XR6 ...lol

:eclipsee_
Old 03-02-2005, 07:28 PM   #53
loxxr6
XB in parts...

More like letting out some steam from my angry head.

First 2 shims went in. The car still made knocking noises. That prob got sorted and now all of the rockers (?) are good except for one. Seems like 3 shims isn't enough for one of these things (thats my technical talk coming out for you apprentices lol) yet 4 shims makes it too stiff or something.

He's gonna machine something or other (yet more tech talk) and then give it another go.

On a positive note before the knocking noise was heard and everything was put back together he reckons it ran first go all good and no hiccups. Once this is out the way I'll be sweet.

Here's hoping for a tomorrow afternoon pickup - if not I may be stuck til next monday....

Old 03-02-2005, 07:39 PM   #54
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Hate to say it, but maybe that's why it was cheap quote?
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2005, 07:52 PM   #55
Stav
Smile

Despite having a top experience there I must say this has dragged on a bit ...I hope it is ready tommorow

Last edited by Stav; 03-02-2005 at 08:48 PM. Reason: what was I saying??
Old 03-02-2005, 09:08 PM   #56
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Hate to say it, but maybe that's why it was cheap quote?

Autotech initially gave me an incorrect quote. Their revised quote compared to what I was quoted by Crescent Motors is a lot closer to what I received. For past work done by Autotech they have been very competitive. Autotech also wouldn't have found out about the other stuff that was damaged inside until they took off the rocker cover. Its this further stuff that is causing a headache.

Crescent have also stuck to their guns on the estimated cost figure despite this taking longer. I might add that booking in this extra work at late notice to Crescent's workshop when they didn't have the staff for it hasn't made it any quicker.

From what I can see they are doing the right thing and they have worked on other member's (including Fordmod's guys) vehicles with no hassles. Despite wanting the car back sooner I am quite happy with how they have been about things.

They still have the damaged parts from inside the engine. I'll take photos and post them up when everythings done.

Quote:
...I hope it is ready tommorow
Me too.

Old 03-02-2005, 09:16 PM   #57
Stav
Smile

In my haste I am hoping that it will be finished soon .I still think the job will be done well even though It is taking a bit longer.Also for those who saw my prior post ...I have had a long long night day and another night with assignments and stuff...I am really tired...

loxxr6 I think you will be happy and I stick by what I said about this guy .He is genuine.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:39 PM   #58
The Mighty Red

As painfull as it is getting your car back 1 or 2 days or even a week later. As long as the work has been done properly Thats the real issue. When you do get your car back if its not runnin properly and he has had ample time to make it go properly then proceed to tear his balls of. But if your really happy with it you'll will have forgotten any issues/delays by the time you get your car home
Old 04-02-2005, 12:13 AM   #59
xr8ute
Back on the road

bugger...I went a bit crazy the last time I didn't have my car for a few days.

fingers crossed that when you get it back it is all sorted.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:14 AM   #60
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
As painfull as it is getting your car back 1 or 2 days or even a week later. As long as the work has been done properly Thats the real issue. When you do get your car back if its not runnin properly and he has had ample time to make it go properly then proceed to tear his balls of. But if your really happy with it you'll will have forgotten any issues/delays by the time you get your car home
My thoughts exactly.

I guess it will only make the drive when I get it more enjoyable.