Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-03-2009, 12:30 PM   #1
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0whiteaughia
were starting to crack into some deeper stuff now, looks like i finally have the injector slopes, and think i may have found the auto/manual switch and the transmission strategy settings.
Bloody good stuff! :evil3:

Feel free to unlock my tune... as in... remove speed limiter and rev limiter :
Old 11-03-2009, 12:29 PM   #2
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

by the time i get this happening on my car.. you will know allllll about it aye 5.0whiteaughia haha!!
Old 11-03-2009, 01:10 PM   #3
honer
Back to N/A land

I gotta say it seems your doing some great work here mate..
honer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2009, 02:15 AM   #4
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. 

I hope so, and hopefully im helpin to ruin sct's hold on the tuning industry.
Old 18-03-2009, 04:12 AM   #5
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. 

Can someone tell me is the y3ec the car it came out of, does it have smartshield? Just trying to work the smartshield settings out.
Old 18-03-2009, 11:45 AM   #6
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
Can someone tell me is the y3ec the car it came out of, does it have smartshield? Just trying to work the smartshield settings out.
Yeah, its definitely smartshield. It is an October '99 Series 1, and has a bunch of minor changes that came late in the run of series 1 cars, sometimes refered to as series 1.5. The other changes where no hideous light coloured plastics in the centre dash console, and I think something with the seatbelt adjustments.

Sadly the series 1 brakes remain...lol :P

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 06:23 AM   #7
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

5.0whiteaughia, have you enlisted the services of Jaysen to find where all the parameters are hiding in the binaries? This bloke really knows his stuff and is very very helpful.

One day, some of those E7 knockers may even come to you looking for some help with their 5.0L ECUs
Old 18-03-2009, 08:59 AM   #8
galapogos01
eec tweaker

I have a basic def going for eb v8 already :-) spark injectors and maf found.

Jason
galapogos01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 12:28 PM   #9
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Coming into this thread late and tbh haven't read anything about this.
Any advantages disadvantages to the SCT product ?
Is this tune yourself product ?
Sorry if it has been said elsewhere,if so just tell which post or wherever and I'll read up.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 01:57 PM   #10
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedriver
Coming into this thread late and tbh haven't read anything about this.
Any advantages disadvantages to the SCT product ?
Is this tune yourself product ?
Sorry if it has been said elsewhere,if so just tell which post or wherever and I'll read up.
Its that same "edit" style of product as the SCT.

The community that supports and develops the software and hardware are more on the DIY side of things, so is packaged and marketed very differently to the SCT/Sniper/Diablo type of product (although technically they are working exactly the same way).

The hardware and software is limited to supporting those EEC's with a J3 port. So in Australia that is everything up to and including AU (B-series not supported). In the States, I believe they continued to use EEC-V based computers with J3 ports into many 2005 model year cars.

The first limit is the EEC itself, because of course this is what you are re-calibrating.

The other limitation is the "definition" of the particular EEC you have. Without the definition you cant recalibrate the table/function, scalar, or flag. There are hundreds of each in the factory code, but you may only need access to 10 or 20 of them to tune your car properly. So if the bits you need to re-calibrate have already been identified and defined by someone are complete, then you can use it to tune your car. If not, then you are buggered (....or need to wait for someone to go through the code your car uses and define the parts you need)

An example would be the tables that are used to control the auto gearbox shift patterns, and torque converter lockup. They are in the code, but unless you know the exact address, and the way that data is calculated back into things like throttle position, and road speed (e.g. the actual data in the code might need to be divided by 4, or multiplied by 16 with a decimal place after the 2nd digit).

Apart from the marketing of the product, the completeness of the definition is the other significant difference between the more commercial products (SCT and Sniper) and the more DIY products (twEECer, Moates, TunerPro, BinaryEditor).

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 03:43 PM   #11
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Thanks xr8ute....the above clues me up, will keep an eye on updates.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2009, 04:04 AM   #12
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually no thats not completely true, the sct product is not an edit at all, they have designed their own version of the well i'll say operating system that runs our cars, it is not the ford version, it is not edited as such, but instead replaced with a completely new program, at which they then program to suit your vehicle, it is similar to what is on the car from factory but missing a lot of the finer details that ford have taken time to write in.

As far as tunability is concerned this actually has the the ability to be real time tuned, which is a major advantage over the sct version, instead of running the car up on a dyno reading it, making a change, change it, reflash it, try it at which all fords require 2 minutes b4 they'll come out of start up mode, analyse the change yes it increase power, no it didn't is 12.8 best for max power at 5000, or is 12.7 better, no we then have to go over it all again and try it method.

So instead of goin thru all this to try and tune it for best power, u can instead plug it all in stick it on the dyno, hold the car at say 5000rpm, and go oh its a bit rich, we'll lean it out step by step while holding the car at 5000rpm and seeing the real power result as it changes to what makes best power on the engine your tuning, therefore giving greater tunability over the sct equivalent.

Add to that their will not ever be any of this in a 100 day's you'll need to purchase the new version of our flash tuner, cause the old version is being thased out crap, along with the fact that anyone can obtain and tune their cars themselves.

At this present point in time I have 4 AU v8 catch codes done giving complete tuning control over the engine, and to anyone interested in doin this with an AU v8 i will make the def for them to do it to their catch code as long as they can provide me with the read from their vehicle.

At which I can, have done and will go thru the read process with them over the internet so they can send me the read, and i can then define the parametre's for them to tune their engine, it takes me roughly 2 hours 2 do a definition file. Just ask James22.

But if your car has been tuned with an SCT flash tuning product i can not help you to define it, as i said it is their own version of an engine management system that is flashed to an eec, even if u reset back to the base tune it does not reflash the engine management unit back to original, it just flashes in the base values that they got off the base tune into their version of an engine management system. I can however still do it if we can get original read/bin file for that eec catch code.

And now that i have said that with finding the smart lock and smart shield switches, we can now turn them off, meaning that a S1 AU v8 can now be chipped with the tune off a S3 220kw for example even if it had been previously flash tuned. So we now have a lot more control over wat we used program/tune wise because of this. And as time goes on more and more functions will become available, for example i have also recently located the auto/manual switches, and the trans type strategy switch. All these eec's are pre programmed with both manual and auto programming, the only difference between the manual/auto is a few switches, so with the a couple clicks of the button u could convert your manual eec, to a auto btr trans.
Old 16-04-2009, 12:01 AM   #13
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Installed 32lb inject0rs in my AU v8 t0night, after all the stuffing ar0und with plugs etc. t0 get them in, i then started it with0ut eec changed t0 suit, yep rich. S0 i set the inject0r sizings and started it, running perfect, tune's still right, and is a l0t snappier and m0re resp0nsive, 0verall a l0t m0re perf0rmance t00 already.

i was actually rather surprised myself as i th0ught it w0uld be a bit m0re stuffing ar0und, but nar it was a sinch.
Old 16-04-2009, 12:23 AM   #14
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Quote:
Installed 32lb inject0rs in my AU v8 t0night, after all the stuffing ar0und with plugs etc. t0 get them in, i then started it with0ut eec changed t0 suit, yep rich. S0 i set the inject0r sizings and started it, running perfect, tune's still right, and is a l0t snappier and m0re resp0nsive, 0verall a l0t m0re perf0rmance t00 already.

i was actually rather surprised myself as i th0ught it w0uld be a bit m0re stuffing ar0und, but nar it was a sinch.
Your o key broke bud
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 12:04 AM   #15
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

was talking to a mate the other day about ECU choices vs tuning like this etc...
and he said the AU ECU's learn overtop of the J3 chip tunes you put in??
Old 16-04-2009, 07:50 AM   #16
galapogos01
eec tweaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackers10
was talking to a mate the other day about ECU choices vs tuning like this etc...
and he said the AU ECU's learn overtop of the J3 chip tunes you put in??
who is your mate? does he know a thing about tuning?

nice work on the 30#'ers, Matt!
Old 16-04-2009, 01:22 AM   #17
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

blackers10 - n0 he's mistakin with unichips, the eec d0es n0t learn 0va the tune u d0.

Yes SV0 me dam 0 key is br0ken, waiting 0n a new 0ne.
Old 16-04-2009, 12:41 PM   #18
The Monty
Just slidin'

Im sure that they dont read over the top of J3 chips, but the computer will relearn after being flash tuned.
Old 16-04-2009, 01:06 PM   #19
galapogos01
eec tweaker

What precisely are you referring to by "learning" ?

A flash tune or a J3 operate to the ECU in the same way. They both override the stock eeprom's data with one of your desire.

KAMRF fuel trims, otherwise referred to as "learning", are the EEC learning where it can trim fuel to keep closer to target AFRs. This behavior can be disabled (either totally or for certain ranges) in a custom tune if desired. However this function generally leads to better economy and performance. This is not "learning around the chip" and in no way can the ECU refer to its factory defaults once a J3 or flash tune has been done.

Hope this clears up the myths...

Jason
Old 16-04-2009, 01:20 PM   #20
Erich

so guys - VERY interesting read/info but for the laymens like me - how do we go about playing with some basics once you pro's get it unravelled? ;)

So what do we need?
Erich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 01:44 PM   #21
galapogos01
eec tweaker

See www.tiperformance.com.au for my gear, or moates.net for the moates hardware. Matt's definitions are on my site.

Cheers,
Jason
Old 16-04-2009, 01:47 PM   #22
Erich

- ty - studying up now

ps - nice site - already looks good

1 q though - this can replace something like the expensive Cappa tune system you can get etc?
Old 16-04-2009, 02:13 PM   #23
galapogos01
eec tweaker

Both solutions are alternatives to the SCT solution that CAPA onsells in Australia - and the twEECer for that matter.

Last edited by galapogos01; 16-04-2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old 16-04-2009, 03:07 PM   #24
Erich

cheers

its pretty full on. When you get a AU III chip ready, I recon i will look at one
Old 16-04-2009, 03:19 PM   #25
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Erich - the wh0le AU V8 range can n0w be tuned, but im still w0rking 0n the I6, its rather different t0 the 0thers and n0t having 0ne myself it'll take me l0nger.

Galap0g0s01 - f0und an interesting setting the 0ther day when playing with mine, the temperature gauge c0mpenstat0r, by changing the values in it, it changes where by gauge sits yet d0esn't effect anything 0n the engine management side.
Old 16-04-2009, 07:13 PM   #26
Erich

Quote:
Erich - the wh0le AU V8 range can n0w be tuned, but im still w0rking 0n the I6, its rather different t0 the 0thers and n0t having 0ne myself it'll take me l0nger.
No worries - mines a 4.0 ltr 6 so I'll keep watching out for it ;)
Old 21-04-2009, 09:35 AM   #27
galapogos01
eec tweaker

Matt, you said it a lot better than I could

Quote:
Galap0g0s01 - f0und an interesting setting the 0ther day when playing with mine, the temperature gauge c0mpenstat0r, by changing the values in it, it changes where by gauge sits yet d0esn't effect anything 0n the engine management side.
Nice one. Will send you an email. I think I will have to start looking into AU stuff a bit more closely.

Jason
Old 16-04-2009, 04:18 PM   #28
The Monty
Just slidin'

Well, all I know is that my idle changes after a day or so of driving/idling, my AFR's change, and the car drives different after a few days after flashing my car.
I never said it went back to stock values, all I said is that it will still "learn" little bits and pieces around the flashed in tune. If you change to a different CAI, the computer will find a way to compensate the new AFR mixtures for it by leanring around the tune.
Old 16-04-2009, 06:13 PM   #29
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it was a chap from the boosted falcon forums.. has a EA Brock with a few grand in the motor(naturaly aspirated)
tuned mostly DIY with a MegaSquirt ECU (some things you just cant tune properly without a dyno)(he looked into all viable options and has alot of friends who have tried all of the above etc)
Old 17-04-2009, 01:39 AM   #30
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes the m0nty that is right it d0es change if u reset the eec t0 c0mpensate, but it d0esn't learn ar0und a c0rrectly d0ne tune file, and by c0rrectly d0ne i mean a full pr0per tune.

The biggest pr0blem with this s0rt 0f thing is that pe0ple reset their eec, run the car up 0n the dyn0 and tune its full thr0ttle p0wer. Meanwhile their is n0 adaptive learning learnt t0 c0mpensate f0r different inject0rs/fuels/engines and when it adaptive learns the full thr0ttle mixtures change fr0m w0t it was tuned t0, reset it again and she'll be back c0rrect until it adaptive learns again.

A pr0perly d0ne tune will have the fuel map already tune t0 suit idle/cruise and all the way thru the engines l0ad/rpm ranges, that way it has n0thing t0 adaptive learn ar0und and then it w0n't change at all even if ur t0wing.

The 0ther way t0 d0 it is t0 give the car time t0 have c0mpletely adaptive learned and c0mpensated s0 that when u tune at W0T, it will stay c0rrect t0 w0t it adapts t0 each time. Alth0ugh with d0in this it will g0 0ut with things like t0wing and then when back t0 y0ur n0rmal driving style again afterwards it will adapt back.

Alth0ugh there is a full adaptive table, u need t0 l00k at it in a s0ft and hard fuel trim. A hard fuel trim is a l0ng term trim t0 put the tune cl0ser t0 being c0rrect f0r m0st 0f the range its running in, its learnt and stays their when engine is turned 0ff and restarted. A s0ft fuel trim changes t0 keep the car running at st0ch, it is l0st at engine turn 0ff.

N0w if ur car is tuned at 2000rpm, 10% at st0ich, and u drive 0n that c0nstantly then it spends m0st 0f its time c0rrect, s0 it has n0 need t0 change the hard fuel trim, but if u h0p in and t0w s0mething and ur n0w at 20% thr0ttle at 2000rpm and the mixture tuned a bit rich at that sp0t at say 13.0afr, then the s0ft fuel trim will re-adjust and tune it t0 st0ich, if u c0ntinue t0 run it at that f0r an extended peri0d it will start t0 alter the hard fuel trim t0 c0mpensate, which in then makes 10% thr0ttle at 2000rpm n0w lean rather then being at st0ich until the hard fuel trim relearns it again.

The trims/adaptive table are changed with circle c0unts 0f the heg0's, it have it set at say 30 cycles it can change it by s0 much 0f a percent, where as s0ft trims are near 0n instant.