Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 03-03-2006, 01:24 AM   #1
lokets
Starter Motor

Question Fiesta engine variable-valve?

Hi. After checking the brochure on Fiesta's Duratec 16V 1.6L engine, I wonder: is this engine variable-value capable?

For example: Jazz has its VTEC (in 1.5L only, not the 1.3L), Mazda 2 has its SVT (sequential valve timing), Echo/Yaris has its VVTi (variable valve timing with intelligence - as if!).

Is Fiesta's engine just pure DOHC & no other fancy stuff?

Does anyone has Fiesta's power/torque versus RPM graphs? Somewhere posted here? From the graph, you can some times tell the point where the variable valve (if any) kicks in.

Thank you for answering my question. :

lokets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 10:55 AM   #2
RichieMK6
Panther Black MK6

VTEC and all the other ones , there well think of it as power band like on a motor bike ,They just make the engine work better under more load thats a very basic understanding , no the fiesta is just dohc , but it has a very goood engine design so that helps , i feel it needs a little more touqe in my opition .

In development stage 2

Carnt wait for the day ,NA all the way ,9000rpm with the top down
RichieMK6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 02:02 PM   #3
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The fiesta does not get any variable valve technology. It has an extremely flat torque curve until 4k where it does start to run out of breath, but this is great for city driving as the torque is down low.

Ford does have an updated 1.6L duratec engine in the focus range which has 85kw and 148NM of torque, not sure why they didn't include the new engine in the fiesta facelift as the engine is now well down on power with the other cars in the class (even the getz has 85kw).
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 02:22 PM   #4
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieoter
The fiesta does not get any variable valve technology. It has an extremely flat torque curve until 4k where it does start to run out of breath, but this is great for city driving as the torque is down low.

Ford does have an updated 1.6L duratec engine in the focus range which has 85kw and 148NM of torque, not sure why they didn't include the new engine in the fiesta facelift as the engine is now well down on power with the other cars in the class (even the getz has 85kw).
Other's may have more power - but usually they don't go as quick. The Fiesta engine is quite high-tec and a very good 1.6L. Ask Mitch - he has alllllllll the articles on the 1.6L engine. I wouldnt say power drops off at 4k... more like 5000rpm. Also - although it isn't variable valve timing, it does like to rev. It's not like ALOT of small cars out there that need to rev to get to power, however sound harsh in doing it. The Fiesta is a great sounding engine... just wish it was faster!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 06:57 PM   #5
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Default Fiesta Engine

''the engine's highly durable camshaft sprocket is made of a glass and mineral fibre-filled phneolic synthetic resin plastic and weighs only 167 grams, compared to 400 grams for a similar design in metal.''

''It features a precision, sand-cast, light aluminium alloy block with a closed deck and a deep skirt. Cylinder bore liners of cast iron ensure tightly controlled geometry for less internal friction. The Duratec also delivers maximum bottom-end rigidity through a separate cast aluminium bearing beam bolted inside the lower block skirt.''

''Aluminium construction
The aluminium construction of the 1.6L Duratec 16V makes it one of the lightest, most compact and efficient petrol engines produced in Europe. The deep-skirted, closed-deck sand casting of the block features cast-iron bore liners with tightly controlled geometry. An aluminium bearing beam and cast structural aluminium oil pan provide a robustly strong bottom end.''

''Head detail
The 1.6L Duratec 16V engine features a double overhead cam design, with valves at an included angle of 42 degrees. The spark plugs are nearly centrally mounted in the pentroof combustion chamber, allowing for circular flame propagation and improved fuel economy, especially in part-load conditions.

Piston and rod
The 1.6L Duratec 16V's lightweight alloy pistons has a low-friction coating. The connecting rods are fracture-split sintered steel. The bore size is 79mm and the stroke 81.4mm.''

''Intake manifold
The 1.6L Duratec 16V's intake manifold was crafted with extensive attention to detail through the use of Ford's proprietary computer-aided design resources. It was designed for manufacturing simplicity, consists of only three parts, and is made of friction-welded plastic to be more flow-efficient and stay cooler than ordinary cast metal.

The manifold possesses precisely designed intake runners with a diameter of 36mm. The runners are fully symmetrical in length from the centre of the throttle plate to the intake valve, a technique that has achieved a larger car sound quality from a small car engine.

The intake system features a solid-state temperature and pressure sensor, which makes more precise air mass measurements. These measurements are constantly relayed to the engine management module for efficient engine production. The design also features a separate air cleaner unit for mechanical package efficiency and enhanced pedestrian protection by providing impact space under the hood.

Electronic throttle
Fiesta's 1.6L Duratec 16V engine has a highly responsive electronic drive-by-wire throttle. This technology allowed engineers total freedom in calibrating the relationship between the pedal angle and the throttle plate under varied operating conditions. This provides excellent responsiveness and contributes to the vehicle's class-leading driving dynamics.

Knock sensing technology
The 1.6L Duratec 16V engine has an optimised knock control system, which continuously adapts the engine's operating parameters in real time to optimise performance and economy for all grades of fuel from 95 RON upwards.

Energy management alternator
Fiesta's 1.6L Duratec 16V engine features an intelligent energy-management alternator with dual internal cooling fans. The alternator senses the battery's charging needs as well as load changes on the electrical system and signals the engine management module to adjust idle speeds accordingly. It also senses changes in vehicle operating conditions, taking advantage of 'free energy' during vehicle deceleration to increase battery-charging levels.

The alternator is driven by a serpentine poly-V belt made of a new "smart" composite rubber with material characteristics that allow the belt to adjust its own length according to operating conditions. This allowed engineers to do away with the dynamic tensioner and save weight.

Fuel injection system
Fiesta's 1.6L Duratec 16V engine is fitted with a sequential electronic fuel injection (SEFI) system, which injects precisely measured quantities of fuel into each individual cylinder at the optimum point in each combustion cycle. The SEFI system incorporates injectors with a two-hole design. These deliver a twin-spray pattern directly toward the twin inlet ports of each cylinder for more spray penetration and less wall wetting. This in turn translates to improved driveability and low emissions.''
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 07:16 PM   #6
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Good find there Mitch!

I particularly like this quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_lx
Knock sensing technology
The 1.6L Duratec 16V engine has an optimised knock control system, which continuously adapts the engine's operating parameters in real time to optimise performance and economy for all grades of fuel from 95 RON upwards.
I guess the Fiesta does need more then 95 octane petrol then....

Well, it should work better

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 03-03-2006, 08:10 PM   #7
Danny
GT4.

Yeah I beleive that whole speil for the fiesta was on Autoweb. I've read it before. It goes on and on and on about everything about Fiesta.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 10:11 PM   #8
joshf2
striped

but in reality, its the same tech that everyone else uses. sequential fuel injection is common place knowledge, along with knock sensors and drive by wire throttle.

the lack of any form of variable valve timing is a pretty meagre effort from the ford boffins, considering its been around for ages. i guess thats the reason why most other small car motors do the dirty on the duratec in terms of power output.
joshf2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2006, 03:11 AM   #9
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Josh... the Fiesta does well with Torque though (which is a major factor). Power is average - but torque is pretty good! Better then the Swift....