Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 29-12-2006, 03:51 PM   #1
mixo

Default My new baby focus

I just bought this new focus for the misses to get around.I love it as well.Man do these turn on a dime!.I nearly love driving it as much as my xr6.

here are some piccies

The car seems better but together than my falcon xr6.
It drives very well, quiet, xr6 is quieter while driving.

Things it should have, is auto headlight on/off.

Trip computer doesnt stay where i had left it last.So when i switch it back on i have to scroll to the menu i like most(fuel economy figures).

I filled it with vpower.I cant really notice any difference from 91 octane stuff.

Brake pad dust is a pain.

Thats all i can think off now, only had it a week.

Anyone got suggestions on how to improve the little focus?
Its got nearly every option available.
Anyone got new tyres for the thing.TTF quoted 145 for hankook, 240 for bridgestone and 300+ for yokis.Anyone put a lower profile on their wheels?

Mixo

mixo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2006, 10:25 PM   #2
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Great to see abother sedan on here! Looks very nice!

I run 95 unleaded, but have never run 92 to see the difference. I have also run 98 a couple times and the results have been very good for me. I usually try to use Mobil premium.
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2006, 10:29 PM   #3
mixo

I had a look at the hatch, and really the more i saw it the more i didnt like it.The previous model the hatch looked much better and the sedan was a shocker.Plus the misses wanted a big boot and the salesman who was over 6 foot jumped into the back of it, well you should have seen the misses face!!!

Also when you start the car does it rev for a sec????.Its like someone has floored it.

As for the pretrol issue I am taking notes of every fill.After a few months I will see the difference.So far I cant tell and the trip computer aint telling me anything different.

mixo

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Russ#Es#
Great to see abother sedan on here! Looks very nice!

I run 95 unleaded, but have never run 92 to see the difference. I have also run 98 a couple times and the results have been very good for me. I usually try to use Mobil premium.
Old 29-12-2006, 10:30 PM   #4
photn
AFF Post NAZI

nice car mate.....looks really nice, love the Rims.....and the color....

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2006, 10:35 PM   #5
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixo
I had a look at the hatch, and really the more i saw it the more i didnt like it.The previous model the hatch looked much better and the sedan was a shocker.Plus the misses wanted a big boot and the salesman who was over 6 foot jumped into the back of it, well you should have seen the misses face!!!

Also when you start the car does it rev for a sec????.Its like someone has floored it.

As for the pretrol issue I am taking notes of every fill.After a few months I will see the difference.So far I cant tell and the trip computer aint telling me anything different.

mixo
Mine revs for a sec too just after I start it. I think its just how its programmed in the ECU, its the same for all LS Foci's.

Also, where did you get those headlight brows?
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles

Old 29-12-2006, 10:35 PM   #6
mixo

I feel in love with it as soon as i saw it.I went to the dealer to see a titanium coloured ghia but it wasnt there, but this one was.

It had everything i wanted as an extra and more.Rides a bit hard with the lowering but man does the thing turn...Its more sports car than luxury ghia now!.the missus loves to drive it, not to keen sitting in the back, expecially going over rail line tracks at speed!

And yes the rims, I spend 3 hours taking them off the car, washing , polishing and sealing them.the break dust was giving me the shits.Now all i do is was it off witht he hose every few days.No chemical no fancy sprays.

mixo

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
nice car mate.....looks really nice, love the Rims.....and the color....
Old 29-12-2006, 10:38 PM   #7
mixo

Glad to hear that , i though there was something wrong with the car.

Mate is came with the car(headlight brows).I have no idea where the previous owner got them.The dealer told me it was an ford employee who had the car previously.The guy took car of it thats for sure.

Quote:
Mine revs for a sec too just after I start it. I think its just how its programmed in the ECU, its the same for all LS Foci's.

Also, where did you get those headlight brows?
Old 29-12-2006, 10:41 PM   #8
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixo
Glad to hear that , i though there was something wrong with the car.

Mate is came with the car(headlight brows).I have no idea where the previous owner got them.The dealer told me it was an ford employee who had the car previously.The guy took car of it thats for sure.
Are they vinyl or plastic?

Also, where abouts are you based?

Old 29-12-2006, 10:43 PM   #9
mixo

I got no idea what there made of.I would take a guess and say plastic.

I am in melbourne.

mixo

Quote:
Are they vinyl or plastic?

Also, where abouts are you based?
Old 29-12-2006, 10:50 PM   #10
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Thanks Mixo.

Enjoy the new ride, especially in the corners

Old 29-12-2006, 11:26 PM   #11
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Wow, looks good dude. Awesome colour ;) I don't mind the sedan version. It's heaps btr than the old model

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2006, 11:28 PM   #12
mixo

Mate i just got myself an xr6.But i tell you what, the focus out corners the falcon by miles.Just the falcon is pure silk with the new 6 speed gear box.I keep thinking it hasnt changed gears!!!

mixo
Old 29-12-2006, 11:32 PM   #13
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

haha yeh. I was following the old man home the other night in my cougar. I kept right up with him in the corners. He killed me in the straights with the turbo though :( Gotta love the euro car handling. I haven't taken a focus for a spin yet, wouldn't mind though!

Old 30-12-2006, 09:44 AM   #14
mixo

Well coming from a daewoo and a vt commodore, it was a shock to drive something that actually had some sort of responsive steering!!!!.I just got my xr6 it seems a lot more heavy(steering) than the focus, but time will tell.The ride is certainly harder in the focus.

Mixo
Old 30-12-2006, 11:57 AM   #15
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mixo and Cougar-Boy.....I think you guys should come on a Eurofordclub cruise in Melbourne when we organise one. Also we have a car comp called Small Ford Sunday coming up in Feb if you would like to bring your car along. Welcome to the forums guys and all the best with your cars.

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2006, 12:22 PM   #16
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOCUSonTHIS
Mixo and Cougar-Boy.....I think you guys should come on a Eurofordclub cruise in Melbourne when we organise one. Also we have a car comp called Small Ford Sunday coming up in Feb if you would like to bring your car along. Welcome to the forums guys and all the best with your cars.
Sounds good dude. I'm on the EuroFordClub forum too. I've been looking for details on the next cruise but nothing up yet. Can't wait :eclipsee_

Old 30-12-2006, 12:24 PM   #17
mixo

Love to come along, where do i get detail about your club.

mixo
Old 30-12-2006, 01:01 PM   #18
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we have EuroFordClub section on this forum and there is also www.eurofordclub.com

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2007, 02:23 AM   #19
BlackLS

Beautiful LS mate
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2007, 12:04 AM   #20
BrisVegas
Noobie

nice pickup mixo. I looked at the Ghia and was considering it with the Zetec wheels (I'm not retired yet, so couldn't hack the stock alloys!).

Looks great. Very Jetta.
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2007, 02:15 AM   #21
mixo

There is no way I could afford to buy a new ghia, there like a 1000 dollar option then your looking at 1000 for tyres.But if you have the money why not!

This one has been lowered, I think it has king springs in it, correct me if i am wrong.Its got harder suspension than my bf xr6.But I love it!!!!!!!!!!

I looked at the zetec but i aint a fan of the new hatch.the older model hatch was much nicer in my opinion.

mixo
Old 05-01-2007, 11:42 AM   #22
BrisVegas
Noobie

We've had a hatch (Corolla) for 10 years and the practicality is too hard to go past. Our choice came down to VW Golf, Mazda 3 and Focus Zetec. The Focus is the biggest inside and the best looking in my opinion.

Having shifted single beds, couches, timber, Ikea flat packs, sofa-beds, wheelbarrows etc etc in the hatch, as much as I was keen on the sedan I knew it wouldn't be long until we needed the load space of a hatch.
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
Old 05-01-2007, 11:45 AM   #23
mixo

The hatch has a bigger opening so you can fit that sofa in the back!
But if you read the spec the sedan has more space in the boot than the hatch.The downside is that the sedan has a small opening for putting in bulkish items.

I might have mentioned this before, but the salesperson 6 foot 3 got into the sedan boot.Now that was a sight to see!

mixo
Old 05-01-2007, 06:37 PM   #24
BrisVegas
Noobie

oh definitely, the sedan boot is bloody huge! Bigger than a Falcon I think. And a more useful, deeper shape too.
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
Old 05-01-2007, 10:13 PM   #25
mixo

Well i would not go as far as bigger than the falcon, but very close.

Just come back from a drive to the beach, i just love it more and more..the xr6 is just sitting there waiting for a turn!

mixo
Old 06-01-2007, 11:27 AM   #26
Lagom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrisVegas
oh definitely, the sedan boot is bloody huge! Bigger than a Falcon I think. And a more useful, deeper shape too.
6 litres larger to be precise.

The annoying thing about the Falcon is that it's floor isn't a flat shape and there is an annoying little well around the spare wheel. Just looks unprofessional, but I know they put that in there so they can say "hey, we have more than 500l in our boot!".
Lagom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2007, 10:15 PM   #27
mixo

Well it will be perfect when i put the falcon on gas in the next few years!

Took the xr6 for adrive today, very nice, much smoother than the focus, the 6 gear box certainly has changed the way a falcon drives.

But its a huge mother!......

Still i reckon the focus is just a nose ahead!

mixo
Old 09-01-2007, 10:31 PM   #28
dasheight
Starter Motor

Very nice looking ghia sedan, mixo. I have the same model, with the 17" wheel option but without the spoiler. I've had it since July 2005 - I think it must have been one of the first available as I didn't have to wait for delivery.

I think the car looks really smart from just about every angle and handles like a dream. I always look forward to taking it out for a spin. The car is so good that, unfortunately, its shortcomings tend to stand out for me all the more...
- on coarse surfaces (which is almost every road I seem to drive on) the road noise is really, really intrusive. I'm so sensitive to this now, that it will be the first thing I look (listen!) for when replacing this car
- lack of curtain side airbags as an option is a real shame
- no rear door pockets (they look very cheap)
- another cog in the autobox and I would be in heaven
- trip computer lacks functionality (like instantaneous fuel consumption) and the small graphic text can be difficult to read in strong sunlight
- speakers on the sound system are not up to scratch (my previous 2000 Golf was a concert hall by comparison)
- the other day my glove box shut never to re-open... will need to get it seen to by the dealer at next service

But I still love it! Go figure....
dasheight is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 08:04 PM   #29
Lagom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasheight
Very nice looking ghia sedan, mixo. I have the same model, with the 17" wheel option but without the spoiler. I've had it since July 2005 - I think it must have been one of the first available as I didn't have to wait for delivery.

I think the car looks really smart from just about every angle and handles like a dream. I always look forward to taking it out for a spin. The car is so good that, unfortunately, its shortcomings tend to stand out for me all the more...
- on coarse surfaces (which is almost every road I seem to drive on) the road noise is really, really intrusive. I'm so sensitive to this now, that it will be the first thing I look (listen!) for when replacing this car
- lack of curtain side airbags as an option is a real shame
- no rear door pockets (they look very cheap)
- another cog in the autobox and I would be in heaven
- trip computer lacks functionality (like instantaneous fuel consumption) and the small graphic text can be difficult to read in strong sunlight
- speakers on the sound system are not up to scratch (my previous 2000 Golf was a concert hall by comparison)
- the other day my glove box shut never to re-open... will need to get it seen to by the dealer at next service

But I still love it! Go figure....
Your comments I reckon are spot on.

The only other thing I'd add is that the Focus needs better quality plastics. The South Africans could paint the cars better and align the bonnets better too (seen a lot of Focuses with misaligned bonnets).
Lagom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 10:54 PM   #30
dasheight
Starter Motor

Lagom - On my sedan it's the less than perfect boot panel fit with a bit of dodgey paint work. I never look at the boot much, which is probably why I forget to mention it.
dasheight is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post