Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 19-08-2010, 06:02 PM   #1
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Default XR5 Turbo info

Ok guys i may be making the plunge into one of these sooner then i think (have put a deposit/applied for one)
Just want some info on what these cars are like to deal with on a daily basis. I dont do heaps of km's but ill drive it daily to and from work (about 25kms round trip)
Id also like to hear from people that have gone from something like my currant car to a Turbo focus and what they have noticed.
Yesterday was the first time ive drivin one and i was quite impressed.
Any funny quirks owners have found also what to look for after buying one.

Thanks in advance, Dallas

- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2010, 07:01 PM   #2
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

G'day Dallas.

I moved to an XR5 in January this year and it's my daily driver. I do about the same distance as you round trip. It is such a great car to drive. Clutch is smooth and short. Suspension is firm, but not harsh. Recaro buckets will convince you there is no better seat on the market

If you want to tinker with it, there's plenty of tunes and parts local and in the UK. If you want, jump over to where we hang out on www.fordxr5turbo.com and check out the forums. LOTS of information about any issues, costs associated with running/servicing and various mods you can apply.

Did I mention it's fast and sounds demonic? That's the good bit

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2010, 07:09 PM   #3
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Thanks for the info mate keep it coming.
Recaros - yes ill agree probably one of the best ive sat in
Modding - Not sure as i dont want to void warranty, maybe an exhaust i guess.
As for driving they are a peace of cake i hadnt driven a manual for a while and it was like id never left
As for the noise from standard they sound pretty bloody good.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 19-08-2010, 08:07 PM   #4
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dallas, I went from the AU into the XR5. Well, not entirely true as I already had the XR5 first and then sold the XR6 downgrading from the large sedan to the focus.

It took some getting used to with the recaro's. Packing my frame into the seats I found was uncomfortable at times. I know you won't have that problem.

It will take some getting used too. For us, having a family we missed the boot size of the falcon. We never really went anywhere with it on a trip. We have the Mondeo now so we are much happier.

The cabin noise is fantastic. Love the sound of the engine under full throttle.

It will be quite a change from your T. You'll love it. They really are a fun car to drive and they go as well as they look. Tune one up and it's like nothing I've ever driven before. Love it.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2010, 08:25 PM   #5
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Bourney will have a few comments ready power when he sees this thread. i believe he's running somewhere in the region of 300+bhp at the wheels?

Old 19-08-2010, 09:18 PM   #6
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

As far as warranty goes, what WILL void it ie tune etc
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 19-08-2010, 09:51 PM   #7
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Oh for sure! I think he is out of the warranty period though. I'm leaving mine stock as a rock. It's perfect for what i need and i don't want to risk being stuck somewhere because of a bad flash. Something might eventuate after the warranty finishes but i'm not fussed. Love this car

Old 20-08-2010, 11:50 AM   #8
entheos

Ok....here goes. ;)

I've had my XR5 now since March last year and absolutely LOVE it...I never put my butt in one till I knew i could afford it....otherwise I would've been in a world of trouble....

As far as daily driver...I drive 45kms each way to work and 20-25 of that is on the Freeway....I nearly didn't buy one cause of lack of cruise, but convinced myself i would get used to it quickly...And i often forget that I don't have it till i get into a car which does...

On stock tune and stock hardware they are a hoot to drive....all 320nm of tourqe is available from 1600rpm and usable till 6000rpm...and it feels strong.

They are built in Germany as opposed to all the other Focus models which hail out of South Africa...and you can tell the build quality difference.

As far as mods and warranty....it's all depends on your dealer and their service dept. I know that we are not like lots of dealers, and there is a few other dealers who are like us around Australia. Nova Ford(Caboolture - QLD), Tarra Ford (Bega - NSW) and Sinclair Ford (Penrith - NSW) are fairly relaxed when it comes to mods. Where we can get the claim through, we will, but it does need to be a stock tune to be any way possible to put warranty through.

In regards to Hardware and Software mods...there are countless options...MOST people have a Dreamscience set-up (Tune, Intake, Intercooler) but there are many many other options... THIS thread on the www,fordxr5turbo.com forum will show you the silly amount of options available.

I've got a DSCi Strategem handset tuner(always flash back to stock for servicing and warranty), Dreamscience Cold Air Intake, Dreamscience Intercooler, Hitech 3" Turbo Back Exhaust (stainless and mandrel bent) and have done a couple of cosmetic mods (headlights, wheels painted, LED Running Lights)

The car is pushing over 200fwkw and there is a few cars which run similar power. I think bourney's is just a little down from that but he runs a different tune, IC and Zorst...I run a 13.9 down the 1/4 mile. ;)

In saying all that....as a stock car they are great....as a modded car they are dangerously fast for what they are...I ran against an FG XR6T the other night on my baby tune and it couldn't keep up.....we were both pretty impressed by that. :P

Hope that helps....and keep asking if you have any more qn's....otherwise head over to www.fordxr5tubro.com, get yourself a couple of bevvy's and spend a good hour or 2 having a read...SO MUCH INFO....

Groomy
entheos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2010, 01:35 PM   #9
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR5-Boy
Bourney will have a few comments ready power when he sees this thread. i believe he's running somewhere in the region of 300+bhp at the wheels?
I wish I had that kind of power!!!!

Entheos and co have covered it all pretty well I reckon, but I might as well chip in.

I had a BF xr8 before this which had 245rwkw so I you'd think the 5 would bore me straight line wise, but you'd be wrong.

In Stock guise, they go alright, certainly are a surprise to most. However, with a simple tuning package from dreamscience, it's a whole new animal and will surprise you, the bloke next to you and anyone else that happened to see a focus just go weeeeee into the distance.

The handling on these is EXTREMELY impressive. I've put in a larger rear sway bar just to help her out a bit, but even in stock form it just grips and goes.

It will understeer if you go too hard into a corner, but then again you need to be going hard enough that no stock car would of made the corner anyway.

Brakes are FANTASTIC.

Daily drive duties, well I do 50K a day in mine, and some days it's a breeze and I just coast along, others it's stop start.

As you know, the recaro seats are gorgeous, clutch is light but firm and gearshift is smooth yet confident.

There is enough torque that if you are in grid lock traffic, you just slightly let out the clutch and forward you go, unlike some puss buckets that require constant throttle feathering too.

Sound: Yes I love the sound of the 5, I reckon it has such a tough little sound to it (like a little dog with a big heart) and you can make it sound so much nicer for almost no cash.

~$100-120 you can get replace the rear resonator with a glasspack hotdog which gives the car a nice burble n crackle without any drone.

It really is a car that can be enjoyed immensely in stock form, but can be improved on so easily, especially performance wise as they really are held back so much due to emissions yada yada.

There have been many people who have had multiple 5's but I haven't heard of anyone getting one then wishing they hadn't. So I think you'll be fine ;)

edit: Warranty, same as other cars, if a fault occurs because you caused it, it won't be covered, ie you lower the car and the engine explodes it'll be covered. If you put an aftermarket air filter and a bird flies through it and causes the engine to explode, it won't be covered.
Old 20-08-2010, 02:04 PM   #10
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

hmm, maybe i read the dyno sheet wrong Bourney! :P

Old 20-08-2010, 06:38 PM   #11
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Thanks guys appreciate the info, turns out these cars really are a wolf in sheeps clothing so to speak.
Ive registered on xr5 forums but it boggles my mind over there i thought i had forums down pat till i went over there. Ill become more active once i get one which should be no later then 3-4 weeks if i dont get the one ive applied for already.
As far as mods i think i maye lower it and a simple exhaust change so give it some bark and ill be happy for a while, and warranty wise being my first new car i dont think ill dip into mod much more then that
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 20-08-2010, 06:56 PM   #12
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

lovely! What have you ordered if you don't mind me asking? (colour?leather? roof?)

Old 20-08-2010, 07:14 PM   #13
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Its 2010 Frozen white XR5T (no stripes) just cloth and no roof. I have leather in my TE and im not a real big fan
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 20-08-2010, 10:05 PM   #14
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

They are gorgeous in White. I nearly ordered one myself but i wanted the orange more.

There are no hassles using it as a daily. Even modified (within reason of course) I drive mine to and from work every day in cruddy traffic and it's no problem. It is still a focus, which means it's easy to drive, park and fit a bundle of shopping in.
I easily fit all my music gear in it too. I regularly drive up to Newcastle from Sydney with all manner of junk in it. It takes my whole drum kit with room to spare.
The seats are awesome but I do hear a few complaints from very tall or uhh... very rotund owners that they are a bit tight and high. For me though, I'm 5Ft nothin and built like a weed so it's comfy.

If you look at it this way, the XR5 is the most suited real world car. Sure there's faster cars, sure there's cars that handle (even) better, cars that carry more junk, use less fuel etc etc but they all have draw backs.
Be it difficulty to drive in traffic, no luggage space, no power, too expensive to buy and run, cant insure them, cruddy reliability, poor fuel economy or straight up ugly as a hat full of busted ones. There's always something.

The XR5 is the best of all these worlds in my opinion. They're affordable, and damn quick when they need to be, but comfy, spacious for a "small" car and the sound is enough to make certain people (me) go fizzy in the pants area.

My only complaint is that the Electric Orange attracts bugs like bees and wasps and other nectar eating insects

**EDIT** forgot to mention, the leather has bum warmers in the front and they're epic on cold mornings!

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2010, 10:09 PM   #15
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Its 2010 Frozen white XR5T (no stripes) just cloth and no roof. I have leather in my TE and im not a real big fan
White is the pick of the colors. Well done Dallas. Congratulations.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2010, 10:25 PM   #16
Tj-zetec

May I also recommend that you make the trip to see the guys at Nova Ford in Caboolture for, at the very least servicing

Those guys have quite the reputation of turning out some impressive 5's.

The head of their service dept is a bit of an XR5 enthusiast to say the least.

I wonder if all this free plugging for Barnsey will earn me a discount on a skunkzorst?....

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Old 21-08-2010, 06:14 PM   #17
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Thanks guys well it official i pick it up on Monday cant wait
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 21-08-2010, 07:12 PM   #18
photn
AFF Post NAZI

i should really stop comming to these forums lol.....

Just got my LR Zetec Supercharged and having a ball with it, and now im reading about the XR5 again.. god dammit....i remember when they first came out and i wanted one so bad that i just felt like crying because it was an injustice that i couldnt afford one. well i can buy one now because i know how much they are the best bang for your buck they are and i just cant get the video of the asbo out of my head! i watch it all the time. but in saying that ive just gotten the zetec to where i wanted it, its nice and individual and it can hold its own against an XR5 (not beat it , but tag along) which is wat i wanted. sigh!

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2010, 10:40 AM   #19
Tj-zetec

Wow! Did you use one of those kits that was floating around in the states a while back?
Have you posted a write up on it? I'd love to see it.
I do miss my LR a little sometimes, you do notice the little bit extra weight up front.

Old 22-08-2010, 10:42 AM   #20
Tj-zetec

Nevermind, I just saw your link in your sig

Old 22-08-2010, 06:26 PM   #21
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj-zetec
Wow! Did you use one of those kits that was floating around in the states a while back?
Have you posted a write up on it? I'd love to see it.
I do miss my LR a little sometimes, you do notice the little bit extra weight up front.
haha yer i used a kit,

gotta update the thread with piccies and more info. just gotta get off my bumm and DL the pictures off the camera... will do it when im off night shift.

but anyway.

Old 23-08-2010, 01:37 PM   #22
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thanks guys well it official i pick it up on Monday cant wait
Awesome!
Old 23-08-2010, 08:23 PM   #23
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Well here it is

- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 23-08-2010, 08:36 PM   #24
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

looks great mate. whitey's certainly look the goods.
Old 23-08-2010, 09:05 PM   #25
Tj-zetec

Hawt!!!

Old 24-08-2010, 12:28 AM   #26
HSE2

Congrats Dallas. Looks sensational.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 07:57 AM   #27
photn
AFF Post NAZI

grats mate, the car is looking hawt!

Old 25-08-2010, 05:30 PM   #28
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Ok so ive done almost 500kms in it so i thought id give my 'goods and bads' or 'pros and cons'
Recaros- They look fantastic but will take some getting used to as they are quite hard/stiff (I guess thats the point) they do provide very good lateral support.
Road noise is a little annoying
Torque steers a little.
Ride- i guess these are set up a little on the stiff side as you do feel a lot of the smaller bumps and it will tram track on occasions.
Rearward view- this can be a pain when changing lanes etc (ill get used to it)
Exhaust note- jury is out i guess when changing down gears it sounds fantastic when shifting up it does sound well different but ill get the exhaust seen to at a later stage.
Handling- well i dont know what to say this thing is so composed through the corners sits flat and powers out you can even go in with a bit of speed it does give you some confidence.
Fuel Econ (not that it bothers me) Went from Nthside of Brisbane to Tweed Heads today it returned 8.8L/100

Remember these are all compared to my previous 10y/o TE50 (was a great car in its own right)
I really do love this car though i wish i had of made the jump sooner
- Antz Turboside Intake

Last edited by DJM83; 25-08-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 25-08-2010, 05:40 PM   #29
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Quote:
Ok so ive done almost 500kms in it so i thought id give my 'goods and bads' or 'pros and cons'
Recaros- They look fantastic but will take some getting used to as they are quite hard/stiff (I guess thats the point) they do provide very good lateral support.
Road noise is a little annoying
Torque steers a little.
Ride- i guess these are set up a little on the stiff side as you do feel a lot of the smaller bumps and it will tram track on occasions.
Rearward view- this can be a pain when changing lanes etc (ill get used to it)
Exhaust note- jury is out i guess when changing down gears it sounds fantastic when shifting up it does sound well different but ill get the exhaust seen to at a later stage.
Handling- well i dont know what to say this thing is so composed through the corners sits flat and powers out you can even go in with a bit of speed it does give you some confidence.
Fuel Econ (not that it bothers me) Went from Nthside of Brisbane to Tweed Heads today it returned 8.8L/100

Remember these are all compared to my previous 10y/o TE50
I really do love this car though i wish i had of made the jump sooner
Glad you're enjoying the car so far.

Some things to look forward to though.

The ride will get better. They are stiff but it's not harsh (my Cougar was HARD AS ROCK and hurt you on every bump).

Seats will soften up.

Rear view will take getting used to because you cam from a large car with plenty of viewing area. Again, My cougar has less so the Focus seems easier to view out of.

Tram track is a tyre issue. Old man changed his contis over for hancooks and they don't do it. Also, check your tyre pressures and run the things at 38psi at least on the front and 37 on the back. If you don't you won't get even wear (you'll also protect your rims).

Fuel consumption is really based on how you drive it. I've had it on 6.0L/100kms from Melbourne to Ballarat and back. day to day it varies from 10-11l/100kms.

Don't be afraid to push her through the corners. They handle brilliantly!

If you have any more questions let rip

Old 25-08-2010, 09:05 PM   #30
RS027
Perth XR5'er

Well done on the new car...

Spend $100 and cut the central muffler out of the exhaust... You'll love the sound then!!!!!!!!
Ford Rallye Sport Club of WA; Member#64:

Barbagallo Short: 1:01.1779
Barbagallo Long: 1:12.4649
Collie: 55.90

K&N Gen2 57i CAI / 2XS RIP / Airtec Gen3 IC / Mongoose Dump Pipe / Outlaw 200cpsi Cat / Milltek Ultimate Race Catback / Whiteline 24mm RARB / Whiteline FALK / BC Racing BR-Spec Coilovers / RSR Rear Camber Arms / Ferodo DS2500 Pads F&R / Goodridge Braided Brake Lines / Elevate Torque Mount / DS MOD C / MkII RS Clutch & DMF / Quaife LSD
RS027 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post