Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 17-02-2011, 11:35 PM   #1
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Custom Tune for LS Focus 4cyl

I was wondering if anyone here has had a custom tune done for a stock Duratec-HE from the LS Focus.

Ive always been sceptical of how mutch difference a custom tune makes to a stock motor.

Ive since herd from a few people that have done it to different cars & they rave about how mutch difference it makes.

So whats peoples ideas & do you think its worth the cash???

Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2011, 03:02 PM   #2
somers181

What are you looking for in the custom tune?????? Better performance, better economy and how much extra is it to have done.
I found when i had my LS serviced the real difference appeared to be the type of fuel i was using and the tyres i had fitted (potenza's)......
Old 18-02-2011, 05:35 PM   #3
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

How does a tune benefit an N/A engine? Are there many parameters that can be changed? ie like a F/I engines boost map.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2011, 05:42 PM   #4
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Neale, there are not many things you can do in the way of custom tuning. I do know that Spiro at autotech got an extra 40kw from an XR4 when he tuned it.

He is in granville. Despite my issuess he is probably the best custom tuning guy out there.

If you want an already created tune, you can go either Dreamscience or BlueFin.

I used to have a bluefin on my focus and it was superb.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2011, 08:49 PM   #5
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

I'd rather get all my intake & exhaust updated and set, then tune it to suit them.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2011, 12:15 AM   #6
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

How much you do you want to spend?

Buying anything from this catalogue would be nice:
http://www.cosworthusa.com/store/pc/...?idCategory=20

or even http://www.newedgeperformance.com/fo...zevengine.aspx

I'm not sure how legit these guys are:
http://www.bulletperformanceracing.c...-Focus-NA.html
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2011, 01:40 AM   #7
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Just a word of caution when buying parts from the US. Not everything from the US Focus fits our Focus. For instance, that 67mm throttle body is cable driven, whereas our throttle body is drive by wire.

Bullet Performance Racing got a good review on the XR4 forums. Sign up there if you haven't already, then do a search and check it out. BPR is the only shop out there advertising SCT tuning for the Focus online.

Last edited by DZFord; 19-02-2011 at 01:45 AM.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2011, 12:05 PM   #8
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
I'd rather get all my intake & exhaust updated and set, then tune it to suit them.
Seconded. This is definitely the way to go about it.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2011, 06:40 PM   #9
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZFord
Just a word of caution when buying parts from the US. Not everything from the US Focus fits our Focus. For instance, that 67mm throttle body is cable driven, whereas our throttle body is drive by wire.

Bullet Performance Racing got a good review on the XR4 forums. Sign up there if you haven't already, then do a search and check it out. BPR is the only shop out there advertising SCT tuning for the Focus online.
This is true,

but if your in VIC then just go to Herrod Motorsport as he is the Australian Distributor for SCT. If your in NSW, Tunehouse and Autotech Engineering are the two.

Old 21-02-2011, 08:16 PM   #10
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
Neale, there are not many things you can do in the way of custom tuning. I do know that Spiro at autotech got an extra 40kw from an XR4 when he tuned it.

He is in granville. Despite my issuess he is probably the best custom tuning guy out there.

If you want an already created tune, you can go either Dreamscience or BlueFin.

I used to have a bluefin on my focus and it was superb.
40kw from a tune is pretty impressive, were there anyother mods done before the tune??? Also would it make a difference in Torque aswell??

Thanks for all of your advice guys, the main thing I would like from the car is a bit better performance, without loosing a great deal of ecconomy.

In other words make it more efficient. I dont really want to go crazy on the mods beacause I dont want to spent thousands on the car. But I was wondering if I could do a few minor mods to make the most of what I already had.
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2011, 09:32 PM   #11
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

40kw would be a massive, if not impossible gain from a 4cyl NA engine, tune only. I am sure there would have been supporting mods.

Neale, you don't need to spend thousands to get a bit more out of your car. I'd start with a K&N panel filter, with the intake resonator removal mod, then the next step would probably be a cat-back exhaust (2.25" is preferable), which could be custom made at an exhaust shop. Couple those mods with a tune and you'll be guranteed better economy and a little more power.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2011, 05:12 AM   #12
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neale
40kw from a tune is pretty impressive, were there anyother mods done before the tune??? Also would it make a difference in Torque aswell??

Thanks for all of your advice guys, the main thing I would like from the car is a bit better performance, without loosing a great deal of ecconomy.

In other words make it more efficient. I dont really want to go crazy on the mods beacause I dont want to spent thousands on the car. But I was wondering if I could do a few minor mods to make the most of what I already had.
Hey Neale, I didnt get specifics on what was done to the car - spiro didnt really go into it, but i would imagine there where intake and exhaust mods to suit.

If you want just a little bit of extra go, my suggestion would be a cat back and a panel filter or K&N apollo. then simply get a bluefin or a Dreamscience for 800ish and your set to go. a custom tune from Spiro is 1600 including Xcal3.

I had these simple mods on my LR before i went SC, i noticed that the fuel economy was greatly improved (6.8-7.2) combined. I even pulled a 16.4 down at the drags with intake and exhaust mods only.