Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-11-2008, 03:30 PM   #1
Hillbilly F Truck

Default Effective punisment- loss of license

I was sitting in my truck a week ago, outside a shop on the gold coast waiting for my son. A young male shop assistant came out carrying an item for a young female customer and loaded it into her hatchback, where i had the pleasure of overhearing their conversation which they made no effort to conceal. The young lass was heard bragging about loss of license due to drink driving. Laughing she said ' It's hard to not drive '. She then glanced up at me knowing i must of heard but didn't bat an eyelid and continued to discuss it as though proud. Not to be out done he says ' i know what you mean, i got done for 4 times the legal limit' and mentioned his car was a green ford, which was in the parking space in front of me at his place of work. Both think it's very amusing. It had been raining due to storms and when he knocked off work he gave the car some gas as some do in the wet, but i'm thinking no one is covered in the event of an accident. I tried to call local police as i took down the time and both of their rego details, but was on a queue and had used up my phone plan allowance so hung up after a minute or two. I get angry at this because so many die on our roads, obviously this so called "punishment" is not enough. They may end up killing someone.

Hillbilly F Truck is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2008, 03:40 PM   #2
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

That ****es me off. How people think that stuff like that is bragable.

I have a hard time telling people why I had to apply for a good driving behaviour bond. I drove through an orange light and was through before it turned red, but got pinged anyway, lost 3 points. Previous to that I did a rolling stop at a stop sign and got pinged, 3 points. And being on P's, well, there goes all 4 points. Got 2 months left till I'm off the GDB. And if I do tell people, they are always quick to jump down my throat and accuse me of speeding through the amber...And this is purely cause I'm young, have a "performance" car and a p-plater.

I could never ever brag about losing my license over DD or anything. Reminds me of my mate who didn't give way to a cop when he was turning, was over the limit. Lost his license. The next day he was driving to the shop, called me, and was bragging about it!!!! Told him he was a idiot and hung up.

Something seriously wrong is happening to Australia these days.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2008, 03:42 PM   #3
GORDZ
OMGORDZ

it takes a sort i guess. losing my licence worked for me. granted it wasn't for drink driving or speeding, but as you said... if i hit anyone unlicensed i would be in major poop, and be paying it off for YEARS to come.

but if you're going to drink and drive, and let alone be at 4 times the legal limit, clearly not having the card is not going to stop them...

BA XR6 Ute, twin throttlebodied blueprint.
GORDZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2008, 03:47 PM   #4
Hillbilly F Truck

Yeah. I don't even know if the police would have been able to respond due to high work load etc..but i wanted to try because these people clearly have no respect for other road users' well being.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:50 PM   #5
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would still report it to the police they should be able to get the shop assistant atleast as he drives to work.
maybe also make sure his boss knows he may loose his job over it maybe that would teach him a valuable lesson

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2008, 03:55 PM   #6
icedfrog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
Something seriously wrong is happening to Australia these days.
Just take a look at the monkey running the country.

Try not to tar everyone with the same brush here and think about things rationally. I have done my license ( never drunk driven, always speeding ), and in the down time, didn't touch my car keys. I am assuming, through my rose coloured goggles, that most people don't get behind the wheel.

Forget the so called " bragging about it ". What is a fitting punishment? Loss of license? Jail? Limb removal?
icedfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2008, 03:57 PM   #7
Hillbilly F Truck

EFFECTIVE punishment i said. I'm not into amputees.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:01 PM   #8
icedfrog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRoy
EFFECTIVE punishment i said. I'm not into amputees.
So tell us what you consider EFFECTIVE punishment to be.

Ill keep the jokes to a minimum.......
Old 11-11-2008, 04:07 PM   #9
GORDZ
OMGORDZ

i've been trying to think of something that would work, but it's really hard!! all i can come up with is limiting the power to 25%, top speed of 60kph and curfew of 10pm. I know that would really me off. but at least i would be insured, i'd have to take the quieter backroads, and if i hit someone i'm covered.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:07 PM   #10
Hillbilly F Truck

I don't want to start a slanging match with other forum members mate. I just wanted to share something with you all and discuss the topic and maybe together come up with a solution. Because as it is people still drive the Government gets more cash through fines and re applying of license etc..people still die due to drink drivers. The current system is not working.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:19 PM   #11
icedfrog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRoy
I don't want to start a slanging match with other forum members mate. I just wanted to share something with you all and discuss the topic and maybe together come up with a solution. Because as it is people still drive the Government gets more cash through fines and re applying of license etc..people still die due to drink drivers. The current system is not working.
Come over to my side of the fence and share my point of view.

You will never ever stop fatalities on the road. Be it drink driving, speeding or poor road conditions. We are driving around in 1.5 tonne metal missiles. We are human and make mistakes. Some of the time, those mistakes are fatal.

People these days are far more stressed than ever before. Therefore, they may knock back a coldie or 2 after work, or try and get home a little earlier to spend more time with the kids. Reduce the stress and pressure, and i reckon the toll will come down a little.

Raising penalties only further lines the governments pockets. Mind you, NSW needs some serious cash injection i hear.

The only time we will have 0 road toll is when cars are no more.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:22 PM   #12
icedfrog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDZ
i've been trying to think of something that would work, but it's really hard!! all i can come up with is limiting the power to 25%, top speed of 60kph and curfew of 10pm. I know that would really me off. but at least i would be insured, i'd have to take the quieter backroads, and if i hit someone i'm covered.
Im confused.

Are you talking about after they get their license back?

How can you limit a cars power to 25%? Plenty of people live out of the CBD area in which they need to use the freeway, so 60 kph is not an option.

Come on, no driving after 10pm? Communism here we come
Old 11-11-2008, 04:25 PM   #13
GORDZ
OMGORDZ

no, i'm saying why take the license away in the first place? It doesn't stop everyone, and those it doesn't stop i wouldn't be suprised if they're the worst. Limiting cars power is very easy. there are all sorts of govenors, mechanical or electric. Hell, I even have a tune in my capa box that limits my car to 3,000 revs.

Ideas were asked for mate, they're just a couple of mine.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:27 PM   #14
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Too true there Icefrog, we can only try to reduce it.

I used to have heaps of mates that would loose their license and keep driving, just take the P-plates off and choose your times to drive. I've had mates drink drive, but no punishment will stop them from doing it. I've seen a mate, who could barely walk straight, drive off, get pulled over and blow .00 10 minutes later and the police let him drive off, (after skulling a beer before he left) :. Needless to say not mates anymore!
But you can increase the time the lose their licence for, or increase the fine, but it wont change anything. You can't cure stupidity!
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2008, 05:34 PM   #15
icedfrog
Banned

Quote:
no, i'm saying why take the license away in the first place? It doesn't stop everyone, and those it doesn't stop i wouldn't be suprised if they're the worst. Limiting cars power is very easy. there are all sorts of govenors, mechanical or electric. Hell, I even have a tune in my capa box that limits my car to 3,000 revs.

Ideas were asked for mate, they're just a couple of mine.
Thank you for clearing that up.

You won't get many people agreeing with you that they should keep their license, even though it's limited.

I think limiting a cars power output is far too difficult to police. What if a car is modified? Making more power than factory? Like i said, too hard.

The issue at hand is drink drivers, not so much the speeding or powerful cars.

I don't think there is an answer. Driving is dangerous, drunk or sober.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:45 PM   #16
GORDZ
OMGORDZ

well thats what the acohol lockout system is for, and thats an expensive system.

my ute is modified and putting out over 30% more power than stock, but it doesn't mean jack when the tune is loaded. 3000revs is all it'll do, and it'll run a bullsh AFR and use bullsh amounts of fuel if you floor it. alot of new cars are just as simple to limit, but with the older cars I imagine it would be harder, as any mechanical system can be tampered with alot easier.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:47 PM   #17
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Stupid to brag about it.. really stupid.. isnt the police a free call? it should be..

The government is really Lax on drink driving.. heres a nice story..

one of my best mates - works out west of sydney as a truckie mechanic.. he has to drive from Arcadia or Thornleigh(for wednesday night drinks at another mates) to out near Eastern Creek somewhere. Many times he's driven to work, still under the influence(also on green p's) and gotten away with it.. he's rolled one car whilst drunk in arcadia(lil old ) and quickly got rid of that..

Just recently he finally got DONE. and DONE he was.. or shall we say.. should have been.

He got busted double the legal limit for alcohol - FOR A BLACK LICENSE DRIVER.. he's still on his p's.. he was also driving a V8.. and also there were no P plates on the car.. went to court.. and got off with probation!! no fine.. all he had to pay was the court fees!!! he already had a shoddy driving record like just speeding fines.. he's one of my best mates and i've seen him do some stupid before but this time i was hoping it was gonna teach him a lesson.. but no..
I'll always be friends with him, im just not lookin forward to the future and a tearful phone call :(
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2008, 05:55 PM   #18
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My auntie has lost her licence 4 times from drink driving, doesn't stop her even with the alcohol thingo fitted to her car, just gets her daughter to blow into it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2008, 06:21 PM   #19
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

I'm not proud of it, but I lost my license a few years ago for 6 months. I did not drive during that period. What surprised me the most was the number of people who said they were shocked that I didn't drive while disqualified. They all said, 'everybody does'.
I feel by not driving I learnt the value of the license. I haven't had any form of infringement since.
lesson well learned.
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2008, 06:25 PM   #20
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For drink driving/drug driving, i reckon they should up the fine to something like $50,000-$100,000 to they have to pay it off for the rest of their lives, that money could be put towards something usefull too.
Quote:

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:26 PM   #21
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymoe
My auntie has lost her licence 4 times from drink driving, doesn't stop her even with the alcohol thingo fitted to her car, just gets her daughter to blow into it.
That’s disgusting.

I’m sorry.

As if drink driving isn’t bad enough. But getting your DAUGHTER to blow into the device (whatever it is) And then continuing to drive under the influence. Risking your own daughters life, other road users as well as yourself.

As someone said before, don’t tar everyone with the same brush. Well, it’s a tad hard not to with so many clowns on the roads.

I just dread the day if it ever comes that someone I love or I’m close too is in ICU or dead because of people with IQs lower then a spoon.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2008, 06:29 PM   #22
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
That’s disgusting.

I’m sorry.

As if drink driving isn’t bad enough. But getting your DAUGHTER to blow into the device (whatever it is) And then continuing to drive under the influence. Risking your own daughters life, other road users as well as yourself.

As someone said before, don’t tar everyone with the same brush. Well, it’s a tad hard not to with so many clowns on the roads.

I just dread the day if it ever comes that someone I love or I’m close too is in ICU or dead because of people with IQs lower then a spoon.
Go ahead, She's a disgrace to my mum's family, I'm not holding anyone back from insulting her.
Quote:

Old 11-11-2008, 06:34 PM   #23
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

i know i am one of those who would not drive while disqualified. mainly because my loan agreement states that loss of licence=loss of car. but if i free owned it, i still wouldnt drive it unlicenced. however, as to thoughts of a suitable punishment, well, far be it from wanting more money to go into the pockets of the gov'ment, i think doubling all demerit and fines would be a deterrent. 3 points becoming six and 310 becoming 620 will make people think twice...as for drink drivers? disqualified once, ok...but again? dissalow from registering a vehicle in that persons name, or from owning a motor vehicle that can be used on public roads. i know it sounds harsh, but there is no excuse for drink driving.....and yes, i have lost someone close 2 me because of it, so im sure the bias is understood.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2008, 06:47 PM   #24
GORDZ
OMGORDZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLWXR6
i think doubling all demerit and fines would be a deterrent. 3 points becoming six and 310 becoming 620 will make people think twice...as for drink drivers?
isn't that what double demerit weekends are about?

I'm unsure of the stats there, but are those weekends helped or hindered by the DD scheme?

Old 11-11-2008, 06:51 PM   #25
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

once every so often isnt enough, IMO. just what i think. but perhaps the fines/demerits arent the way to go, and some form of pain is more suited to repeat offenders...i know that in adelaide, eventually problem drivers have theyre cars impounded and crushed...what if the next step down was, say, 6 months with a wheel clamp, jujst to make sure u dont drive.....?
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:52 PM   #26
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
isn't that what double demerit weekends are about?

I'm unsure of the stats there, but are those weekends helped or hindered by the DD scheme?
not sure if it helps?? i think so...to my mind, i drive VERY carefully when those weekends come along...of corse i dont do the speed limit everywhere(im a bit of a creeper, i must admit, not much sometimes 70 in 60s the max) but in dd weekends, im 55 everywhere haha
Game. Reinvented.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:39 PM   #27
mongoloid
chuck miller ford texas

some of you lot seem like real good mates. Woulden't it be better to have a chat to your mates about their behaviour rather than slag them off on an internet forum. Everyones done dumb stuff in cars, but the attitude of apparent car enthusiests amazes me on these forums.
1918 Buick, 1930 Studebaker, 1953 Ford Crestline, 1955 Buick Special, 1957 Cadillac, 1962 Cadillac, 1963 Ford Galaxie, 1966 Ford Fairlane, 1971 Chevelle, 1979 Trans Am, 2002 Ford TE50, 2005 CV8 Monaro, 2010 G6e Turbo, 2014 FPV GT-F
mongoloid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2008, 08:00 PM   #28
azaxr8

i just recently lost my licence for 4 months due to loss of all my demerits. I have chosen not to drive for the 4 months and its only been a few weeks and im suffering from it big time but sticking by my word. I stuffed up i pay the price. Lucky i work away=) But i know of 4-5 mats unlicenced and still driving around and drinking at the same time. idiots.
azaxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2008, 08:20 PM   #29
Hillbilly F Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoloid
some of you lot seem like real good mates. Woulden't it be better to have a chat to your mates about their behaviour rather than slag them off on an internet forum. Everyones done dumb stuff in cars, but the attitude of apparent car enthusiests amazes me on these forums.
Which part of our attitudes do you find amazing mongoloid? I'm assuming you think drink driving is not much of an issue and as 'car enthusiasts' we all fall into a category?

Last edited by RobRoy; 11-11-2008 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:30 PM   #30
azaxr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoloid

Mate, i don't think about getting in a car with a unlicenced mate. We all know the consequences for driving without a licence. We are all adults and should not need reminding.

Rules are set and im not reminding them not to drive because there unlicenced. To bad if they get caught.
azaxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post