Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 20-06-2011, 01:07 PM   #1
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Default Moving/Living in Melbourne?

Morning gents/ladies,

I'm potentially moving to Melbourne at the end of the year, just wondering where people would suggest to move to? Will be myself and my partner, early 20's, partner is a photographer/graphic designer, so will most likely end up working in the city.

I'll be working in the outer suburbs. Personally I would rather live close to the city so the travel time for my partner is shorter. Also figured it will be easier to get out of the city to the outer suburbs in the morning then it is to come in. Also close to the city for nights out etc.

Will be renting, looking at 1 or 2 bedroom apartments, between $350 and $450per week.

Close to public transport would be a bonus.

Looking at Richmond at the moment? Any thoughts about Richmond? Plenty of places for rent, close to the city and right next to the MCG (appeals GREATLY to me) heaps of public transport, and close to the city.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2011, 01:47 PM   #2
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Moving/Living in Melbourne?

Richmond is a good location as for the reasons you've already decribed plus ur not too far from the water at St.kilda etc.... Also the North side like Brunswick/Fitzroy/Abottsfed is a bit futher out but you still get the great benefit of using the tram system.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

What’s the 'feel' like in Richmond? Have read a few streets have dodgy people hanging out at night (so do most suburbs though I would imagine). Seems to have a huge amount of pubs and restaurants as well? Good shopping etc.
Old 20-06-2011, 03:07 PM   #4
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Camberwell/Malvern is also great for public transport and is relatively close to the city. It can be a bit expensive but you should be able to find something in your rental price range. There are some nice apartments in St Kilda too that fit your budget.
Old 20-06-2011, 03:14 PM   #5
Carrie On

i wouldn't recommend the docklands. 500 a week rent in an apartment my mate has. nice, artistic place though.
Carrie On is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2011, 03:28 PM   #6
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

The Victoria Street end is dodgy. To the point that they are debating abput putting an injecting room in there.

The area to the south of bridge road is much better, (its still an inner city suburb though).

Also worth looking at South Melb, Port Melb through to Elwood
Old 20-06-2011, 03:33 PM   #7
XESP351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wouldn't recommend Richmond, bit of a hole methinks. I think Carlton/Fitzroy would be the go for what you're after. I used to live in Fitzroy north and worked in the city and loved it!
XESP351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2011, 05:42 PM   #8
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to live in St Kilda and would recommend it especially for location. For your price range there should be some around. Good spot too still very close to the city. But biggest reason I would suggest there is because how easy it is to get out the suburbs/ come back into St Kilda (as my job also required travel all the time) because from St Kilda you have easy access to the major roads out of/in to the city (Citilink, Westgate Bridge, Metropolitan Ring Road, Hume Highway, Princes, Monash, Napean) without hitting loads of traffic and lights.

As for the public transport that is very convenient. Easy 10 min tram into the CBD, and also a very easy tram ride to Southern Cross Station or Flinders St Station if your needing to travel out to anywhere. I think Richmond is a good area to live in too but I think just if you are going to be car traveling and transport wise St Kilda will be easier.

Last edited by GreenR; 20-06-2011 at 05:56 PM.
GreenR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2011, 05:48 PM   #9
zetec
Zoom Zoom

What outer suburbs are you working near?

I can't recommend Ascot Vale/Kensington highly enough. On train and tram lines, nice inner-city professional types around and well priced because they're not in the Eastern suburbs. Near Citylink for access to all areas North and South, plus access to the East and West easily through Racecourse road. Basically a centrl spot to areas other then the south-Eastern Suburbs.

I live in Maribyrnong which is slightly further out but on the last stop of the 57 tram into the city. Not ideal if you're commuting, but it's handy on weekends. I'd look along Ascot Vale between Union Rd and Epsom Rd for a townhouse, otherwise even in North Melbourne if you can find something of good value.
Old 20-06-2011, 06:09 PM   #10
MexicanBatman
Banned

i would consider another state capital, hobart is much nicer than melbourne in my opinion, melbourne has gone to *** in the last few years and its all down hill from here
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2011, 06:13 PM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8 Uterous
Morning gents/ladies,

I'm potentially moving to Melbourne at the end of the year, just wondering where people would suggest to move to? Will be myself and my partner, early 20's, partner is a photographer/graphic designer, so will most likely end up working in the city.

I'll be working in the outer suburbs. Personally I would rather live close to the city so the travel time for my partner is shorter. Also figured it will be easier to get out of the city to the outer suburbs in the morning then it is to come in. Also close to the city for nights out etc.

Will be renting, looking at 1 or 2 bedroom apartments, between $350 and $450per week.

Close to public transport would be a bonus.

Looking at Richmond at the moment? Any thoughts about Richmond? Plenty of places for rent, close to the city and right next to the MCG (appeals GREATLY to me) heaps of public transport, and close to the city.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Richmond is a hole, run down crappy old suburb thats seen as "trendy" so it has plenty of expensive accomodation/food places. Scummy people hassle you for money at the train station fairly often (every time I've gone in that part of Richmond for TAFE, I've been hassled).

If you like a bit out of the way but still has access to public transport, look at Sunbury, its about 30 minutes out of the CBD but has train and bus services, the Calder freeway runs right past it and rent will be a hell of a lot cheaper. Its still a fairly big town with a population of 70,000+

I hate Melbourne all together, full of scummy *******. Absolutely hate going into the city when I have to for TAFE. Everyone there walks around and acts like they've got a massive stick up their asses, plus if you have the misfortune of driving through there, you get window washers harrassing you on some big innter city intersections.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 20-06-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #12
bafel

I've just moved to Elwood, just below St Kilda, and so far so good.

There are plenty of apartments in your price range here.

The beach is good and it's about a 10-15 minute train trip to the 'G.

Not as busy as Richmond or St Kilda.
bafel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2011, 09:36 PM   #13
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Carlton/Fitzroy. Pretty much close to go to the eastern side. Public transport is really good there also the shops & cafe's are easy to walk to. Plus while it might look like the traffic is bad, it isn't nothing like the eastern burbs.
Old 20-06-2011, 11:03 PM   #14
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

richmond does have some good things going for it, good public transport ,trams trains, easy access to the city, i did live their many years ago for about 12 years.....must explain my good posture big Damo , but going there recently it still felt to me like it had`nt changed that much, good shopping and food places, dimmeys used to be a favourite bargain shop(big shop with a clock and giant copper ball on top), , there are quiet a few pubs, sports venues , the mcg, the richmond ground, a short tram ride down swan st/batman av, you`ll be at Rod laver Arena, even back when i lived there you probably would`nt walk the streets after pub closing, i think that`s the norm even in the outer burbs these days.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2011, 11:27 PM   #15
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Thanks for the advice guys. Gives me a bit to read through, a bit more info to go on, the topic of Richmond having a few scummy people seems pretty common though, both here and other websites.

Thinking St Kilda sounds pretty good from what I have read. Also like Southbank, but very expensive compared to what I could get in St Kilda.

Cheers
Old 20-06-2011, 11:53 PM   #16
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo

If you like a bit out of the way but still has access to public transport, look at Sunbury, its about 30 minutes out of the CBD but has train and bus services, the Calder freeway runs right past it and rent will be a hell of a lot cheaper. Its still a fairly big town with a population of 70,000+
Used to live in Sunbury...ever tried travelling into the city during peak hour? It aint 30mins. Double that time to be conservative, especially if your driving. Since I've left I think they have added a new train service so I don't really know what's happening there but it was over an hour when I lived there.

If I was young and looking to experience Melbourne without huge wages, I would probably go St. Kilda or Carlton and those suburbs. I think I would go around Carlton, north of the city.

I was born and bred in the country and I love Melbourne but I disliked the increasing congestion of the outer eastern burbs. If I go back, it will be to the city.
Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2011, 02:12 AM   #17
Dr Jekkyl

I think that the northern suburbs have a lot to offer.

Any of Brunswick, East Brunswick, Northcote and Fairfield would be good choices IMO.

One question though. How do you feel about on-street parking?
Dr Jekkyl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2011, 09:26 AM   #18
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jekkyl
I think that the northern suburbs have a lot to offer.

Any of Brunswick, East Brunswick, Northcote and Fairfield would be good choices IMO.

One question though. How do you feel about on-street parking?
Good point That's one thing with the northern burbs that suck.
Old 21-06-2011, 09:57 AM   #19
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
What outer suburbs are you working near?

I can't recommend Ascot Vale/Kensington highly enough. On train and tram lines, nice inner-city professional types around and well priced because they're not in the Eastern suburbs. Near Citylink for access to all areas North and South, plus access to the East and West easily through Racecourse road. Basically a centrl spot to areas other then the south-Eastern Suburbs.

I live in Maribyrnong which is slightly further out but on the last stop of the 57 tram into the city. Not ideal if you're commuting, but it's handy on weekends. I'd look along Ascot Vale between Union Rd and Epsom Rd for a townhouse, otherwise even in North Melbourne if you can find something of good value.
The triangle in between the Maribyrnong Rd / Union Rd / Epsom Rd is a good thing but still a bit rubbish when it comes to public transport as you are only really served by the 57 tram into the City and the 472 bus that will take you to either Footscray/Williamstown or Moonee Ponds. Nice area though and you will get a fair chunk more for your money than in the City.

Personally I'd go a little north and look at Moonee Ponds, it has better public transport and a brilliant cafe strip in Puckle Street.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2011, 11:04 AM   #20
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

There's 82 tram too Russell....
I was born, bred & grew up in Ascot Vale.. Married then bought & lived in Maribyrnong for 25yrs.. The changes especially in Ascot Vale/Moonee ponds have been incredible.
Was predominately an older type area with Victorian type homes.. Now, heaps of townhouses, apartments and a much younger more vibrant area.
Highly recommend to a young couple.
IMO, Maribyrnong on the other hand has dropped off somewhat. Reasons that are probably apparent.
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2011, 11:12 AM   #21
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

What abut Lara or Little River? Country trains, easy access to the coast, easy access to the Melbourne freeway network. A nice change of pace.
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2011, 11:30 AM   #22
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool
There's 82 tram too Russell....
I was born, bred & grew up in Ascot Vale.. Married then bought & lived in Maribyrnong for 25yrs.. The changes especially in Ascot Vale/Moonee ponds have been incredible.
Was predominately an older type area with Victorian type homes.. Now, heaps of townhouses, apartments and a much younger more vibrant area.
Highly recommend to a young couple.
IMO, Maribyrnong on the other hand has dropped off somewhat. Reasons that are probably apparent.
82 doesn't count as it is crap

It is there though and does even occasionally run.
Old 21-06-2011, 12:38 PM   #23
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Thanks for the info everyone. One of the reasons we wanted to live in the city is being young and having never lived in a major capital city, we figure the best way to be able to experience it (both the good and bad) is to be in the centre of it all. After 12 months or so the novelty will most likely wear off and outer suburbs will become more appealing. I would also prefer if I was the one travelling out of the CBD to work, rather than my partner having to travel in.

I’ll (hopefully) be working around Springvale, Hallam, Dandenong and Frankston, how is the traffic to get from St Kilda, Richmond etc and the CBD to these areas? Is public transport readily accessible or would it be a case of tram from point A to B, then another tram to point C, and then a train to D etc.
Old 21-06-2011, 12:42 PM   #24
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Thanks for the info everyone. One of the reasons we wanted to live in the city is being young and having never lived in a major capital city, we figure the best way to be able to experience it (both the good and bad) is to be in the centre of it all. After 12 months or so the novelty will most likely wear off and outer suburbs will become more appealing. I would also prefer if I was the one travelling out of the CBD to work, rather than my partner having to travel in.

I’ll (hopefully) be working around Springvale, Hallam, Dandenong and Frankston, how is the traffic to get from St Kilda, Richmond etc and the CBD to these areas? Is public transport readily accessible or would it be a case of tram from point A to B, then another tram to point C, and then a train to D etc.
Yeah I'd be driving to any/all of those places. Trains are good from the CBD out to them but once you're there unless where you work is within walking distance of the train station then forget it.

Traffic isn't bad at all going against the flow, however you will still cop a fair bit coming home as it backs up. Essentially you'd be on Citylink for all of them with a detour onto Eastlink for Frankston.
Old 21-06-2011, 12:48 PM   #25
R1XSTA
Silky Smoothe

As stated, The northern suburbs would be more accessible for what you desire.

I'd also say look into the suburbs that use the "V Line" train services, As they run express.

My partner and i were looking into Drouin to live (about 90km from the CBD.) She works at Melbourne Magistrates Court, which is off Collins i think. Currently we live in Keysborough (roughly 35km from CBD-5KM from Dandenong) and it takes her near an hour using the normal Metro Transport to get to the CBD. If we moved out to the 'sticks' she could use a V Line service which stops, Pakenham - Dandenong - Caulfield - Southern Cross. Takes roughly the same time using that service.

Food for thought.
R1XSTA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2011, 01:54 PM   #26
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Driving out to the East and South East suburbs from St Kilda is pretty easy. Depending on the time you and day you can go a few ways. Very easy to go through the Burnley Tunnel and out onto the Monash Freeway and then Eastlink of your heading down to Frankston. If it's not busy I would occasionally take the Nepean to/from Frankston. Mostly because the Citilink and Eastlink will burn a hole through your pocket.
GreenR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2011, 05:56 PM   #27
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
Used to live in Sunbury...ever tried travelling into the city during peak hour? It aint 30mins. Double that time to be conservative, especially if your driving. Since I've left I think they have added a new train service so I don't really know what's happening there but it was over an hour when I lived there.
Its 30 minutes by train, which is on the Bendigo VLocity Vline service. If I go into the city, its by public transport, to hell with driving in that hell hole, lol. Last time I drove in there was when my driving instructor decided to be a bastard and take me right into the CBD to do some hook turns.

Its going to be Metro to Sunbury soon though, the only good to come out of that is more frequent trains in and out.

FYI, I live about 70km from Melbourne

It takes me about 50 minutes to go from Gisborne Station to Southern Cross on the 6:14AM to SC.

I don't know much about eastern suburbs, other than the free hour long parking on the Monash freeway during peak hour, if you ask the car park attendant nicely, he might let you through.

For a comparison, I live 55km from my workplace, and my supervisor is 50km out the other direction on the eastern suburbs, it takes me 20 minutes less time to get to and from work than he does, even though he lives 5km closer, lol.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 21-06-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2011, 11:22 PM   #28
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Heres a tip: Try to find somewhere within 10km of town, 15km at maximum, if you are going to be in town regularly... Otherwise you will tare your hair out relying on public transport, or sitting in traffic on the Ring Rd, Tulla/Monash/Westgate/Eastern Fwy

Did the commute from Pakenham to City for a bit... it got old VERY quick. Sunbury would be much the same, if not worse.

I am currently in Mill Park, and soon will be moving to within 5km of CBD on the Eastern/Bayside direction, so as no matter where I am driving to, I am going against the traffic in the morning peak...

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2011, 11:48 PM   #29
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I

Its going to be Metro to Sunbury soon though, the only good to come out of that is more frequent trains in and out.

It takes me about 50 minutes to go from Gisborne Station to Southern Cross on the 6:14AM to SC.
Well there you go...I lived in Sunbury in 2000, 2001 and it was usually an hour + to Southern Cross during the busy periods of the day. So the rail system has improved.

The car trip was about an hour but the speed limit has been backed off on the Calder pretty much to the Speedway I think 80kmh? So I guess that would probably be worse now.
Old 22-06-2011, 12:45 AM   #30
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Once you've lived in an inner city suburb you'll never want to move further out. Its not for everyone obviously, but if you have the interest to move inner city I reckon you'll love it.

For Melbourne, keep in mind there is the north side of the river, and the south. They're worlds apart. North side is where all the live music/arty stuff happens. South is more like Sydney. (very generally speaking) I think Richmond is a good compromise between the two actually, and could be a good option not knowing which side of Melbourne suits you more.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post