Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 30-06-2020, 08:41 PM   #3751
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I work in one of those lockdown suburbs, they're talking about police pulling people over to ask where they're going and having booze bus style checkpoints on major roads in those suburbs.

Well that'll keep the commute interesting
The Lebonator will have to become more visually and sonically intimidating.
Old 30-06-2020, 08:44 PM   #3752
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
The Lebonator will have to become more visually and sonically intimidating.
Nothing says pull me over like a young guy with a baseball cap in an obviously modified car

I think I'll stick to driving her about locally for now
Old 30-06-2020, 08:44 PM   #3753
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

On an outback tour and stopped at Quilpie to get some fuel. Little old lady at the counter, took my money and told me to get out of town as they don’t want people like me bringing in Rona as they have no medical facilities ... literally get out of my shop, no you can not use the toilet now **** off out of here!

I should have started sneezing but she’d have gotten out the 12 gauge ... 😂
5 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2020, 09:11 PM   #3754
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Nothing says pull me over like a young guy with a baseball cap in an obviously modified car

I think I'll stick to driving her about locally for now
WRX 50% of the time.

Skyline 25% of the time.

No wonder Police target them imo.
This user likes this post:
Old 30-06-2020, 09:26 PM   #3755
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
On an outback tour and stopped at Quilpie to get some fuel. Little old lady at the counter, took my money and told me to get out of town as they don’t want people like me bringing in Rona as they have no medical facilities ... literally get out of my shop, no you can not use the toilet now **** off out of here!

I should have started sneezing but she’d have gotten out the 12 gauge ... 😂
It's been a while since I've been to Quilpie, but calling it a Town is stretching things a bit
Old 30-06-2020, 10:10 PM   #3756
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Last week I did an online consult with a doctor via an app. I had my usual throat infection I get at exactly the same time each year, however because I also had a sore throat I figured I do the online thing as I'm sure no doctor would want to see me seeing as you need to warn them if you have symptoms.

So, got told to get a test, received the request paperwork vie email in the app. Funnily enough the closest place was a 'drive through' testing which isn't all that funny till you find out I called the doctor while my car was up on a hoist getting work done on it.

So I walked to the place, got the test on my feet and that was it. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Uncomfortable, yes but not the way some people are making out.

To hear that other 'drive through' testing places are turning away walk in's is laughable...the interaction and distancing is the same sitting down or standing up.

Results in 1.5 days. All clear. Why you wouldn't do the test just for piece of mind is beyond me...

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 30-06-2020, 11:03 PM   #3757
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

What about contractors, tradies, workers from non-lockdown areas going into lockdown areas for work purposes, and potentially taking the virus with them into the non-lockdown areas? Potentially spreading it further?

Funny when you look at the map of the affected zones. Anyone surprised?? These are the areas of Melbourne that house the biggest population of dimwits in Victoria.
2 users like this post:
Old 01-07-2020, 04:57 AM   #3758
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
Build a wall around Melbourne CBD?

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 01-07-2020, 05:08 AM   #3759
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Inbound international flights to Melbourne are being diverted because Melbourne has failed in the quarantine stakes.
At this stage they won't say where the flights are being diverted to, I guess they're looking for a place that is capable of locking someone up. Gotta be a joke right?
2 users like this post:
Old 01-07-2020, 07:22 AM   #3760
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
What about contractors, tradies, workers from non-lockdown areas going into lockdown areas for work purposes, and potentially taking the virus with them into the non-lockdown areas? Potentially spreading it further?

Funny when you look at the map of the affected zones. Anyone surprised?? These are the areas of Melbourne that house the biggest population of dimwits in Victoria.
When you've got 20% of the countries population in one city you're bound to have a larger population of mongs just on numbers. We're also the most multicultural city in the nation so we've got large groups of various migrants.

There's more morons in Melbourne and Sydney in comparison to other capital cities because there's much more people

I don't particularly care about getting COVID-19, I'm in the age group where I could probably shrug it off, I don't want to pass it onto someone vulnerable is my only concern. We've got a few oldies at work who've been smoking since Jesus was playing full back for Jerusalem it'd probably ice.

There's also nothing stopping the people who live in those 'lockdown' suburbs heading out of the zone and going elsewhere on their weekends to other Melbourne suburbs outside of it where you won't be hassled by police.

Hell, we can still go to Sydney of we want a weekend away

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 01-07-2020 at 07:49 AM.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:26 AM   #3761
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
Inbound international flights to Melbourne are being diverted because Melbourne has failed in the quarantine stakes.
At this stage they won't say where the flights are being diverted to, I guess they're looking for a place that is capable of locking someone up. Gotta be a joke right?
Inbound international flights have not ceased yet.

https://www.flightradar24.com/CES737/24d13465 (only available for the next 25 min or so)

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
Old 01-07-2020, 09:35 AM   #3762
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
Depends how you measure it but from when it almost stopped until it properly restarted was 38 days or 22 days from the last reported case to the next one.
It hasnt restarted all cases are fly ins , we dont have any community transmission that we know about ?

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 01-07-2020, 10:50 AM   #3763
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post

Results in 1.5 days. All clear. Why you wouldn't do the test just for piece of mind is beyond me...

I guess the fact is you can get tested on a Monday...be exposed on a Tuesday...be sick in a week...then say...

"All good I've been tested..."

The only safe option is to have a nose jab every week?

I am of the notion that testing is for community benefit not for the individual benefit or comfort....

Queuing up for hours? Nahhhhh

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
Old 01-07-2020, 10:54 AM   #3764
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

69 new cases for Australia (64 in Victoria) and no deaths so CMR drops to 1.327% and active cases rise to 724 (9.2%).

No new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.440% and active cases stay at 22.

The UK had 689 new cases and 125 deaths so the CMR is up to 13.987%.

Just under 45k new cases in the USA yesterday and 921 deaths sees CMR down to 4.824% and active cases down to 53.5% but the raw numbers are rising. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Africa passes 400k cases and 10k deaths

El Salvador (265), Uzbekistan (281), Algeria (336), Israel (803) and Panama (1,099)
recorded new daily highs, those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 01-07-2020, 10:54 AM   #3765
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post

Highway patrol in Vic should do random swabs on the side of the busy freeways in emergency stopping lanes.

Win, win,win

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
2 users like this post:
Old 01-07-2020, 11:25 AM   #3766
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
They don't want to take the test because they know they have it.

But you do have the ocassional wacko who won't accept a blood transfusion if one of their kids is bleeding out on a hospital bed...

I reckon ...drain the swamp and build the wall...

Welcome to multiculturalism...you're standing in it...

take a deep breath Vics...face masks are overrated...ask any politician.
I think a few of them are freaked out by the thought of having a swap shoved up your nose, till it just about touches your brain. Wouldn't be pleasant, but it's only a few seconds of discomfort. Could be worse.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:16 PM   #3767
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

An elderly acquaintance is clearly confusing testing with innoculation. Their idea is, “Once I’ve been tested, I’m good to go”.

I doubt they are alone in this misapprehension.

Ryde (Police) LAC have cars everywhere today, I wondered if there’d been a case at the premises and everything that was definitely not exposed is being temporarily shifted.
Old 01-07-2020, 02:39 PM   #3768
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
I think a few of them are freaked out by the thought of having a swap shoved up your nose, till it just about touches your brain. Wouldn't be pleasant, but it's only a few seconds of discomfort. Could be worse.
On the test procedure I feel this has changed quite a bit since the early times.
My 2 boys have had tests done the last few weeks.
The first one I took to the drive through facility, I noticed all they did was move the cotton bud style aparatus around his nostril area more than going deep down the nasal passage.
He didn't react one bit, easy as and over in under a minute.
The eldest son I took him up to one of our nearby hospitals, I didn't go in with him but again, no prob at all when I asked how it felt.
So its typically the noise made of it originally, can't believe its that bad now Unless ofcourse Vic Health direct their testers go DEEEPER and TBH I don't blame them down there lol.........
Commondant Klink I mean Andrews probably needs a honing more so you know where than anything else for his actions from a while back and to date.
Cop it right up the A*&e......
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
Old 01-07-2020, 03:24 PM   #3769
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
On the test procedure I feel this has changed quite a bit since the early times.
My 2 boys have had tests done the last few weeks.
The first one I took to the drive through facility, I noticed all they did was move the cotton bud style aparatus around his nostril area more than going deep down the nasal passage.
He didn't react one bit, easy as and over in under a minute.
The eldest son I took him up to one of our nearby hospitals, I didn't go in with him but again, no prob at all when I asked how it felt.
So its typically the noise made of it originally, can't believe its that bad now Unless ofcourse Vic Health direct their testers go DEEEPER and TBH I don't blame them down there lol.........
Commondant Klink I mean Andrews probably needs a honing more so you know where than anything else for his actions from a while back and to date.
Cop it right up the A*&e......
I did hear they are using saliva tests now for kids. Just spit in a little plastic jar.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:17 PM   #3770
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
I did hear they are using saliva tests now for kids. Just spit in a little plastic jar.
Is there any reason why adults cant do that type of test too?

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 01-07-2020, 05:32 PM   #3771
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

.....toilet paper and now.....

US buys up global supply of COVID-19 drug

https://www.9news.com.au/world/coron...19-drug_010720

Quote:
The US government appears to have finally taken strong action on the coronavirus pandemic raging within its borders - but in doing so has left the rest of the world hanging.

The federal Health and Human Services Department announced the US had bought up what amounts to the entire global supply of remdesivir, the only drug so far shown to help recovering patients.

"(President Donald Trump) has struck an amazing deal to ensure Americans have access to the first authorised therapeutic for COVID-19," HHS Secretary Alex Azar said in a press release.

"To the extent possible, we want to ensure that any American patient who needs remdesivir can get it."

US hospitals will be permitted to purchase the drug in allocations from the HHS.

However, other Western countries in particular worry about the consequences.

Gilead is the only company allowed to manufacture remdesivir, and the US purchase amounted to 100 per cent of Gilead's projected production for July, 90 per cent of production in August, and 90 per cent of production in September.

In all it adds up to more than half a million treatment courses of the drug, for which hospitals will pay $US3200 apiece ($4641).

While focus in the US has been on whether the drug will be equally available to richer and poorer patients, the rest of the world is left with a a different problem.

"They've got access to most of the drug supply, so there's nothing for Europe,' Dr Andrew Hill of Liverpool University told The Guardian.

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has also spoken about the dangers of the US outbidding other Western countries on COVID-19 treatments.

The wholesale cornering of remdesivir has also raised fears about what will happen when a vaccine is finally developed.

Remdesivir is an intravenous antiviral medication studied to treat Ebola but now used on hospitalised COVID-19 patients.

While not a blockbuster drug, a study shows it can reduce a hospital stay by up to four days.

The US has recorded about 2.68 million COVID-19 cases, with more than 129,000 deaths.

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 01-07-2020, 05:41 PM   #3772
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

The case against lockdown - look at Sweden

Is testing identifying a problem of itself?

Surely the measure should be the death rate which is declining?

And what about masks?

3 users like this post:
Old 01-07-2020, 06:17 PM   #3773
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"Do not allow anyone from a hotspot in Melbourne or from greater Melbourne to come into your home - you have the right to say no," - Gladys Berejiklian
Old 01-07-2020, 06:28 PM   #3774
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Old 01-07-2020, 06:40 PM   #3775
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi,

Lies, Damn lies and statistics!!

Anders Tegnell is probably a good epidemiologist, but if he is resoponsible for that bar chart above then his statistical knowledge could do with some work.

Based on some rough and ready calculations the following:

China 2.6 deaths per million of population.
Malaysia 3.8 deaths per million of population
Australia 4.2 deaths per million of population
New Zealand 5.5 deaths per million of population
Singapore 6.5 deaths per million of population
Indonesia 14.4 deaths per million of population
Germany 112 deaths per million of population
Canada 227 deaths per million of population.

SFAIK all these countries had some form of lockdown and if you construct a bar chart such as is shown in Cav's post then you might conclude that NOT locking down is the worst thing you can do.

The message is- be very careful about how you interpret raw data - and in the case of Covid 19 there are a multitude of factors that affect the deaths per million of population - but on balance I will prefer lockdown in the face of a "sneaky" adversary that multiplies by means of transmission person to person by proximity to them for periods measured in tens of minutes, especially in poorly ventilated areas.

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

4 users like this post:
Old 01-07-2020, 07:55 PM   #3776
HIPO
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
Disgusting people! Wont have to worry about them for much longer!...……..
2 users like this post:
Old 01-07-2020, 08:04 PM   #3777
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
The case against lockdown - look at Sweden

Is testing identifying a problem of itself?

Surely the measure should be the death rate which is declining?

And what about masks?

Just because you’ve posted some pictures from some “website” doesn’t mean the data is correct.

The funny thing is that most of these Histograms are American states and not countries.

1. How many of these “Lockdowns” are actually enforced and official ?

2. Where is the independent Analysis, and breakdown of the data ?

3. Are Sweden’s borders open or closed, and how does that compare to the other Bars ?

Like I said I’d like to see independent references to data and graphs, and not some pictures from a “Wacko” website.

Mate, build your case, don’t just post graphs 👍

Last edited by Fordman1; 01-07-2020 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:21 PM   #3778
MercuryT
Banned

Tassie still looking good for now re' borders opening. (key point......for now)

I doubt many big island people would travel here at this time of year anyway (other than DarkMofo which obviously was cancelled) but it's actually a good time.

Usually clear days, just cold yeah. (although Vic not much warmer and colder some days). Summer is warmer but not necessarily a better time to visit.

Hope some Ford guys (and girls of course) can fit in a trip. 3 or 4 nights is all you need really to do see preferred places, but stay relaxed on Holiday.

If want any advice (I'm a boring local of 30 plus years) simply PM me and I'll help as much as I can.

Last edited by MercuryT; 01-07-2020 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:19 PM   #3779
PhilT2

China rolling out their vaccine this week; plan is to vaccinate a couple of million military first.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...ary-use-china/

Nothing personal but I might just wait for something tested locally.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:25 PM   #3780
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT2 View Post
China rolling out their vaccine this week; plan is to vaccinate a couple of million military first.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...ary-use-china/

Nothing personal but I might just wait for something tested locally.
I wonder if its like the UK and their Porton Down lab.

We're looking for volunteers to test our new common cold vaccine!

Quote:
It was 1953, and the 20-year-old had been tempted by an advert promising volunteers for tests at the government’s secretive chemical laboratory 15 shillings and an assurance no harm would come to them.

LAC Maddison was planning to use the small fee to buy an engagement ring for his girlfriend, Mary Pyle. An hour later he died in agony.

Drops of the nerve agent Sarin had been dripped onto his arm through two layers of cloth but had absorbed through his skin much faster than the scientists had expected.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...th-serviceman/
Closed Thread