Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-09-2006, 06:53 PM   #1
Decadentia

Default Travelling to the Phillipines...Opinions wanted.

Hey guys and girls,

To cut somewhat of a long story short, There is every possability that in the not to distant future I could take up a job in the Phillipines, There are heaps of perks to the job and I'd be in it just for the experience.

Now before I get too far into proceedings with the employer, I'd love to hear about anyones experiences who've travelled there in recent times. Political climate at the moment is my big concern, I'd be working 5 hours or so north of Manilla - Around the 100 Island National Park.

Any informational resources you guys might know of would be much apreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Adrian

Decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2006, 06:56 PM   #2
BJ
Banned

Hey Adrian it's your life but you wouldn't get me back the for all the money in the world. They treat us like shiit over there. I worked for an oil company a few years ago over there, and i thought each day was going to be my last. I had to go and fix petrol pump at servos. there were more hold ups per day over there than you here about here in ten years. Bj
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2006, 07:10 PM   #3
x351

I travelled to the Philippines in 2004, as my fiance is half Filipino on her mother's side. I spent three weeks there as a tourist and had a great time, people were friendly and most speak english, but I couldn't imagine working there. Corruption is rampant and travelling there with a local (my mother-in-law) as well as spending time with family etc means you hear all sorts of stories. It could be a great experience but you are wise to check into it well. Have any of your workmates been over there? They could probably give you good advice.

If you do decide to go, put some $$$ aside to buy a 60's american muscle car to bring back. When I was there I saw mid-60's Mustangs, Chevelles and Camaros in good condition which have been there since new when they were shipped over for US servicemen. You see them advertised in the Trading Post and still quite affordable.

Good luck
x351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2006, 07:34 PM   #4
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

If you are single, perhaps, but think very carefully. If you have wife and kids, dont do it!!! Kidnapping over there is rife. And white women/kids are big on the hit list.
Old 18-09-2006, 09:45 PM   #5
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah ive been there christmas 04 - over to 14th jan 05.

all i can say is it was bloody GREAT, though mum is philo and i have family there so it was very easy to get around.
basically public transport (watch your head seriously) < i almost lost mine 3 times getting into their jeepnies haha

but anyways you'll love manila, its pretty cool and crusiy i walked about 2km to maccas and didnt get shot once! but the cops have shotguns and semi automatics so there isnt much crime

everything is cheap for us aussies..lol buy up big
plenty of woman if your that type of guy (my dad was..LOL)

if staying there hotels are dirt cheap, pretty sure it was $25 a night for 5star and i mean 5 star, otherwise in the suburbs its cold showers.

if i went back id take something for typhoid i got that for about 5 or 6 days not fun! so drink filtered water its cheap

watch the meat shops some are on the side of the road (actual building and all) but they dont use fridges..lol cook imediately...didnt get sick though

theres alot of nice places to go to....baguio we never got time to go but i heard its very nice, also theres some market thingy was alright but damn COLD, there the place with the big face on the mountain with half its face missing, nice views and theres shopping centres and things there.

also go to powerplant mall i think its called there a shop for cars, sell everything momo, recaro, ford, mazda, gm, dodge.....etc also nike, rebok shops and all cheap (originals because the actual shops dont sell the fakes only markets)

plan to get fat if not already because you will, so much food to eat, its never hot, doesnt rain much in manilla, heaps of computer stuff as well.

with the kidnapping just stay in manilla. oh also if your planning on driving dont get an expensive car....you'll see what i mean. but cheap mobiles and credit 20 peso is like $1 or so and i used 6 peso to call a landline here in aust from over there for about 1hr.

with the cars you can get originals (borrow from car yard, porshce, ferrari, etc just give em a deposit and show license..lol i was too young :( ) or you can get the fakes, hummers made from stainless steel, ferrari's made from VW chassis's and alot of fibreglass..lol

anyways good luck and its not that bad i thought it was, but id go back if you pay my flight lol

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2006, 09:48 PM   #6
McobraR
me may my mo

Was born there but only lived there for the first 3 years of my life. From what i can remember (after visiting it a decade or so ago) it was an alright place, but i have heard it has the highest rate of corruption.
I do remember my dad giving me some advice once a few years back. "if you're driving along and see someone lying down in the middle of the road in an isolated location, dont stop, just step on the gas." he said reason for this was because of a probably ambush. So yeh, after hearing that, along with the high corruption rate, kinda ruined my image of a decent place.
I prefer being called an aussie though :Reverend:
McobraR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2006, 10:18 PM   #7
Decadentia

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys, Apreciate you sharing your experiences.

IF I go, it will be on the north west coast of Luzon, a place called Bolinao right near the 100 Islands National Park. Everything I've read seems to point to there being trouble to the south of the island, not to say i'm silly enough to think it won't/can't happen anywhere else.

Still jittery with regard to a few aspects ( corruption and scammers/theifs/conmen - Not so much bombings and such ), so I think I'll call Department Of Foregin Affairs and have a talk to someone there 'n see where it takes me.

Still keen to hear anyone elses stories
Cheers
Adrian.
Decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2006, 12:20 AM   #8
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Mailorder Brides

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2006, 01:46 AM   #9
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRNKPR
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Mailorder Brides
Not meaning you, but there sure are many a white-trash not worthy.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2006, 11:03 PM   #10
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhhh now im a pirate

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post