Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-09-2020, 02:56 PM   #1
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Sydney Rail Tunnel system

I seen the Sydney Rail tunnel system on TV. very interesting.

Does any one have something to say on the subject.

I do not live in Sydney I am looking at the thought of such down their or anyone who has knowledge on the subject.

I knew nothing of this was going on.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2020, 03:42 PM   #2
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Sydney Rail Tunnel system

New tunnels - or some of the older /disused ones ??
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2020, 04:45 PM   #3
Blue_XR

Are you referring to the Sydney Metro train tunnels?

This is already up and running for a small section of the track, to be completed by 2024 I think. Hopefully they will open up the line to the city before then. The trains are driverless and in my opinion they are really good.

YouTube channel: Modaufy Garage
https://www.youtube.com/c/ModaufyGarage
Blue_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-09-2020, 05:27 PM   #4
roKWiz
Cabover nut

I really don't get NSW planning.
As someone who grew up in Sydney and uses Sydney public transport system often, (when I'm there) I don't get why they wanted to use a whole different rail network that wasn't compatible with the current double decker system.
This stupid driverless single deck system required them to close and rip up all the existing track and infrastructure which was only previously finished several years earlier (Epping to Chatswood)
They build a railway line single decker to a dead end at Castle Hill along a rail corridor which was perfectly running well as a double deck line from Hornsby to Chatswood underground via Epping, Macquarie Park etc and on into the city then out to Richmond.
Logically, ideally building a full double decker line to and through Castle Hill to Richmond would have given them a loop which returned vuia the western Blacktown line. The could have continued the dead end line at Carlingford tunneling through (2mile !!!) to Epping giving them a second major loop.

With these loops Sydney's second airport (which is already there) at Clarendon (Richmond RAAF) could have had plenty of public transport options via train from most suburbs in the city.

The money they would have saved designing these two loops on the current network design ie double decker standard trains, would have afforded them to build a railway line down along the northern beaches which people have been crying out for since I was a kid growing up there.
Along with the now close Newcastle line from Hamilton Glady's railway hacks have become a joke.
Back in the 80s it took 2 45 mins from Central station to Newcastle beach by train now it takes 3 20mins (if your lucky) to get to Hamilton and your not even in Newcastle. You then board buses to Newcastle.

Rant..... over and out

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2020, 07:21 PM   #5
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Spot on. The Carlingford line closure was a disgrace and I’m certain reflected dodgy property deals. Not unlike the old Putt-Putt site.

Next they’ll be reinstating that useless ornament, the monorail.

The whole system is so stupid; so inflexible and incompatible. It’s as though we are taking our “Top Tips for Transport” from corrupt third world countries and serving up glossed-over malfunction, repeatedly.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-09-2020, 07:22 PM   #6
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
I really don't get NSW planning.
It's easy Mate.

He with the Biggest Kickback Wins..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-09-2020, 12:31 AM   #7
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Spot on. The Carlingford line closure was a disgrace and I’m certain reflected dodgy property deals. Not unlike the old Putt-Putt site.

Next they’ll be reinstating that useless ornament, the monorail.

The whole system is so stupid; so inflexible and incompatible. It’s as though we are taking our “Top Tips for Transport” from corrupt third world countries and serving up glossed-over malfunction, repeatedly.
The monorail is an interesting case. I think there is still a station or 2 remaining.

I don't think it ever worked financially as a transport option in the CBD, but I wonder what would have happened if it was offered as a type of slow city tour from above with a sit down meal?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2020, 07:15 AM   #8
Trevor 57
is now there

a very interesting documentary series, certainly opened our eyes up to the process of building the system.

And unearthing all the graves and the boat was interesting
Old 22-09-2020, 08:32 AM   #9
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I liked the old red rattlers where you could hang out the doors, in fact all the doors were usually left open in the Summertime. Jumping off when the train was still going pretty fast into a station was great fun when you were 10 Years old.
Fed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2020, 12:15 PM   #10
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
a very interesting documentary series, certainly opened our eyes up to the process of building the system.

And unearthing all the graves and the boat was interesting
How about tunnelling under the harbour in that soft mud ?
Them boring machines are amazing.
Old 22-09-2020, 12:22 PM   #11
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick taylor View Post
How about tunnelling under the harbour in that soft mud ?
Them boring machines are amazing.
I beleive the harbour tunnel was built in sections on land, sunk into a trench and then the water pumped out, so no real boaring machines used for the under the harbour bit. The only speeding fine and point i have ever lost on my licence was at 520am in the harbour tunnel. Only 1 point, but i was probably asleep at the wheel.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-09-2020, 12:37 PM   #12
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B - CV8 View Post
New tunnels - or some of the older /disused ones ??
New I was on about, but even the old tunnels are interesting to me.

I seen on TV of late some huge tunnels that the Nazis made in Norway, some dude went out looking, as he had sort of seen something from the track that he ravelled on and stumbled on to this forgotten tunnel that no one mentioned about, not to mention all the tunnels that the Nazis made in Germany that they have found and they say that they have not found them all yet.

I seen a dude looking for Gold in an old mine in the USA he drove like a size of a Ford F100 12 miles into it and then came to a point that the tunnels fanned out that much that you could get lost down their.

If they could dig like that in the days gone by, what can they do nowadays, journey to the centre of the earth .
Old 22-09-2020, 02:34 PM   #13
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
If they could dig like that in the days gone by, what can they do nowadays, journey to the centre of the earth .
They tried - there is that bore hole in Russia that goes down 12km or something.

At that depth the rock has the consistency of play dough apparently so they couldn't go any further.

Hole looks to only be 8 or 10 inches in diameter as well.

We know more about the far reaches of space than what is below our feet - ironic isn't it?

Old 23-09-2020, 02:02 PM   #14
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
New I was on about, but even the old tunnels are interesting to me.

I seen on TV of late some huge tunnels that the Nazis made in Norway, some dude went out looking, as he had sort of seen something from the track that he ravelled on and stumbled on to this forgotten tunnel that no one mentioned about, not to mention all the tunnels that the Nazis made in Germany that they have found and they say that they have not found them all yet.

I seen a dude looking for Gold in an old mine in the USA he drove like a size of a Ford F100 12 miles into it and then came to a point that the tunnels fanned out that much that you could get lost down their.

Mick, have you seen the show on SBS Viceland called Abandoned Engineering? If not, it looks at abandoned engineering projects, including the purpose they were built and the reason(s) why they were abandoned. If you liked the abandoned tunnels, you'll likely enjoy this show too, if you haven't already caught it. Sunday night 18:35 to 19:30.

https://www.freeview.com.au/watch-tv...7-14d78b73fb7b

I find it a very interesting show. Some of the engineering is amazing.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2020, 12:46 AM   #15
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
The monorail is an interesting case. I think there is still a station or 2 remaining.

I don't think it ever worked financially as a transport option in the CBD, but I wonder what would have happened if it was offered as a type of slow city tour from above with a sit down meal?
What if it had been offered as an actual transport option, and expanded (since it really went nowhere beyond tourist traps).
Rather than close a lot of city streets to traffic for the light rail, elevate it on to the monorail track, and run it above the city traffic.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2020, 08:12 AM   #16
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers View Post
What if it had been offered as an actual transport option, and expanded (since it really went nowhere beyond tourist traps).
Rather than close a lot of city streets to traffic for the light rail, elevate it on to the monorail track, and run it above the city traffic.
Funny thing about the Monorail is, it was just starting to become popular and profitable when the corrupt NSW Gladyshow (she was transport minister at the time) decided to get rid of it.
Tasmania wanted to buy it but, out of spite NSW just scrapped all of it.

Two derelict stations still remain one either side of the Historic Pyrmont bridge, dumb thing is they could have left the elevated section intact over the bridge built entry ramps on both sides and had a great elevated cycleway crossing without all the current problems going on between city commuting cyclists / pedestrians and still had a shaded covering for walker crossing the bridge in summer.
The two station would also be good spots to convert to cafe /bicycle shop for previously mentioned cyclists.

Old 13-10-2020, 05:52 PM   #17
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Funny thing about the Monorail is, it was just starting to become popular and profitable when the corrupt NSW Gladyshow (she was transport minister at the time) decided to get rid of it.

Two derelict stations still remain one either side of the Historic Pyrmont bridge, dumb thing is they could have left the elevated section intact over the bridge built entry ramps on both sides and had a great elevated cycleway crossing without all the current problems going on between city commuting cyclists / pedestrians and still had a shaded covering for walker crossing the bridge in summer.
The two station would also be good spots to convert to cafe /bicycle shop for previously mentioned cyclists.
Exactly... the infrastructure should have been re-purposed. It was there, and in very good condition. What a waste of good hardware.

4 users like this post:
Old 15-10-2020, 01:03 PM   #18
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Exactly... the infrastructure should have been re-purposed. It was there, and in very good condition. What a waste of good hardware.
Yep, like any state public transport system, no governments actually asks the people who use it what they need.

NSW runs a system which doesn't interconnect with anything else.
They run a bus network in regional towns that runs independently to a train network so nothing meets each other and they wonder why there isn't much patronage on certain routes.

NB.
example 1.of stupidity.
There is a bus service that runs from Woy Woy station on the Central Coast to Patonga (peak times) that misses the Patonga to Palm Beach ferry service by 5 mins. Next ferry is 3 hours. Commuters have constantly complained that more uses would use it to get to the upper Northern beaches for work if it connected. But no one is listening for the last 15 years.

example 2 of stupidity.
Sydney to Newcastle trains regularly are held up at Gosford which make them run so because they run late, some clown decides, "its running late so we might as well stop at non stopping station" making them even later.
Classic express train turned into a all station train.
making it late to meet any Hunter Valley line train.

example 3 of stupidity.
XPT from Albury (Melbourne) trains pulls into central at 8pm every night missing the North Coast XPT by 20mins.
Which calls for an overnight stay in Sydney.

example 4 of stupidity.
Express trains constantly timetabled to follow a freight train. This one is brilliant piece of work.

2 users like this post:
Old 15-10-2020, 04:51 PM   #19
Kicking back

I know its slightly off topic, but i finally looked up whats dping since the carlingford line has been removed but there is a lot of work going on to the area its been removed from. Theyre putting in a light rail from carlingford to westmead. So more services then to old single set of tracks when it was the train, and that line was pretty pathetic at the best of times. When i lived in carlingford its only use was so save tge hassle of parking at rosehill gardens for boat shows etc. If i had to public transport it into the city the m2 bus was way faster. But extending the light rail to go past parramatta makes more sense because when that train line went to clyde only, from memory, clyde didnt get any express services to the city.
Old 15-10-2020, 05:13 PM   #20
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
I know its slightly off topic, but i finally looked up whats dping since the carlingford line has been removed but there is a lot of work going on to the area its been removed from. Theyre putting in a light rail from carlingford to westmead. So more services then to old single set of tracks when it was the train, and that line was pretty pathetic at the best of times. When i lived in carlingford its only use was so save tge hassle of parking at rosehill gardens for boat shows etc. If i had to public transport it into the city the m2 bus was way faster. But extending the light rail to go past parramatta makes more sense because when that train line went to clyde only, from memory, clyde didnt get any express services to the city.
Light rail is slow, pointless and doesn't have any capacity, they could have simply bored underground from Epping (like they said they were going to do when I was growing up in Carlingford) to Carlingford station using the exiting infrastructure then it would have made a practical loop both out to the west or around to Bankstown line figure 8.

Light rail is a feel good warm fussy thing.

Old 15-10-2020, 05:37 PM   #21
Kicking back

Quote:
Light rail is slow, pointless and doesn't have any capacity, they could have simply bored underground from Epping (like they said they were going to do when I was growing up in Carlingford) to Carlingford station using the exiting infrastructure then it would have made a practical loop both out to the west or around to Bankstown line figure 8.

Light rail is a feel good warm fussy thing.
I agree that lightrail is slow and small, but upgrading to what appears to be 2 sets of tracks seems to make a bit more sense then the 1 2 car thain that only ran a handful of times a day. The epping link i do agree would have been a much better solution.
But atleast for the most part, its not on the streets. The light rail ruined the city for people like my who needed to drive in the city and surrounds for work. If i spent all day over the easy side of the cbd, fine, all day on the west side of the cbd, fine. Chopping and changing between the 2 sides and crossing george st multiple times in a day, well thats a major annoyance. It was bad enough when they took away oodles of street parking for the bike lanes.
Old 16-10-2020, 08:35 AM   #22
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Looks like Gladys on the way out.

Old 16-11-2020, 10:00 AM   #23
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Looks like Gladys on the way out.
You might have called it prematurely the other week, but this overbought land purchase will be hard to explain:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-...-rail/12881058
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2020, 02:35 PM   #24
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
You might have called it prematurely the other week, but this overbought land purchase will be hard to explain:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-...-rail/12881058
The other land deal (with her secret boyfriend) was exactly what I was referring to back then. but anyway it would be good to see another crooked NSW Prem go.

Old 14-12-2020, 09:57 AM   #25
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
It's easy Mate.

He with the Biggest Kickback Wins..
Don't forget to build 2 lanes when 4 is required then give your mates the additional 2 lanes job 10 years down the track for another kickback.

WIN WIN !!!