Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-08-2020, 12:07 PM   #751
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default Re: The Camping Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Don't rush in to buying anything. Some caravan rental places may even have a small avan type van to try so you can see if it's for you.

Not sure if you are planning to tow with your subie (if you still have it) but some cars are limited with how much they can have on the ball so check that out too... I know avans don't weigh much so should be ok on that front but always cheaper to check everything out first.
Yes I have the little XV. Sold the liberty 6 months ago. The XV is rated to 1400kg. The Avans Im looking at have a Tare weight of about 900kg with an ATM of about 1100- or there abouts. I will be looking at a HD tow bar setup with anderson plug, electronic brakes and towball weight of about 140kg.

Looking at something with similar specs to this
https://www.avanadelaide.com.au/curr...ck/avan-aliner

TECH SPECS:
TARE WEIGHT: 835KG
BALL WEIGHT: 65KG
STOCK NUMBER : AV2011

FEATURES:

EFFORTLESS SPRING ASSISTED SETUP
LOW PROFILE FOR EASY TOWING
2 X 4KG GAS BOTTLES AND REGULATOR
SPORTS WHEELS
REVERSE CYCLE AIR CONDITIONING
1 X LARGE WIND OUT DOMES FRONT
1 X LARGE WIND OUT DOMES REAR
2X READING LIGHTS
MICROWAVE
2 X GAS BURNER COOKTOP
3 WAY FRIDGE
1 X REAR DOUBLE BED
UNDERBED STORAGE
FRONT DINNETTE TURNS INTO ANOTHER BED
SOLAR WIRING
1 SIDE BAGGAGE DOOR
ELECTRIC BRAKES
ELECTRIC HOT WATER SERVICE
BATTERY PACK
63 LITRE WATER STORAGE

Adding solar will increase weight so will take that into consideration.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic

Last edited by blueoval; 14-08-2020 at 12:12 PM.
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-08-2020, 12:51 PM   #752
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
He might have to rush in as its a sellers market ATM according to other threads. With the limited travel Australian's are going to enjoy for quite a while I don't reckon there will be much of a choice.
Its true, i work part time in a van yatd and we cant keep up with demand and you know what demand does to prices.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2020, 12:54 PM   #753
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
Yes I have the little XV. Sold the liberty 6 months ago. The XV is rated to 1400kg. The Avans Im looking at have a Tare weight of about 900kg with an ATM of about 1100- or there abouts. I will be looking at a HD tow bar setup with anderson plug, electronic brakes and towball weight of about 140kg.

Looking at something with similar specs to this
https://www.avanadelaide.com.au/curr...ck/avan-aliner

TECH SPECS:
TARE WEIGHT: 835KG
BALL WEIGHT: 65KG
STOCK NUMBER : AV2011

FEATURES:

EFFORTLESS SPRING ASSISTED SETUP
LOW PROFILE FOR EASY TOWING
2 X 4KG GAS BOTTLES AND REGULATOR
SPORTS WHEELS
REVERSE CYCLE AIR CONDITIONING
1 X LARGE WIND OUT DOMES FRONT
1 X LARGE WIND OUT DOMES REAR
2X READING LIGHTS
MICROWAVE
2 X GAS BURNER COOKTOP
3 WAY FRIDGE
1 X REAR DOUBLE BED
UNDERBED STORAGE
FRONT DINNETTE TURNS INTO ANOTHER BED
SOLAR WIRING
1 SIDE BAGGAGE DOOR
ELECTRIC BRAKES
ELECTRIC HOT WATER SERVICE
BATTERY PACK
63 LITRE WATER STORAGE

Adding solar will increase weight so will take that into consideration.
They are bloody horrible, terrible cramped snd the angled walls reduce headspace, id look for a Jayco Penguin, you get everything the Avan has with square sides, bed in main body and the ability to mount an awning.
2 users like this post:
Old 14-08-2020, 12:55 PM   #754
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah I reckon if you have a van but don’t really have intentions of using it for the next year or so,probably a good time to sell,but don’t expect to be able to get a new one for several months at least.Most caravan makers are either closed or working on skeleton staff at present
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2020, 02:04 PM   #755
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
They are bloody horrible, terrible cramped snd the angled walls reduce headspace, id look for a Jayco Penguin, you get everything the Avan has with square sides, bed in main body and the ability to mount an awning.
I hear what you are saying. I was looking at the Jayco Penguin but wasnt sure about all the canvas flapping in the wind at night and also resisting mould if its wet. The wife thinks the Avans could be too cramped for us also.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 14-08-2020, 02:11 PM   #756
prydey
Rob

Quote:
I hear what you are saying. I was looking at the Jayco Penguin but wasnt sure about all the canvas flapping in the wind at night and also resisting mould if its wet. The wife thinks the Avans could be too cramped for us also.
Canvas resists mould ok as long as you don't leave it packed up wet. Whenever I've had to pack up wet I always put it back up at home and make sure it's fully dried out before putting it back down.

Canvas is a bit dodgy in high winds but it looks wise than what it is. Mine has held up pretty well in some very windy conditions. It can be a bit unsettling on the inside though, esp if trying to sleep.

Maybe look at small pop tops. Some of them are pretty light, esp older ones.
Old 14-08-2020, 02:52 PM   #757
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Canvas resists mould ok as long as you don't leave it packed up wet. Whenever I've had to pack up wet I always put it back up at home and make sure it's fully dried out before putting it back down.

Canvas is a bit dodgy in high winds but it looks wise than what it is. Mine has held up pretty well in some very windy conditions. It can be a bit unsettling on the inside though, esp if trying to sleep.

Maybe look at small pop tops. Some of them are pretty light, esp older ones.
something like this you think? https://www.caravancampingsales.com....18255366/?Cr=0

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 14-08-2020, 02:57 PM   #758
prydey
Rob

Quote:
I was thinking about 10 years older but yes.

Weight is very similar to my van, and no canvas to worry about. I often look at upgrading mine for that reason but I still need room for two kids so not an option just yet.

Older ones will be lighter still.
Old 14-08-2020, 03:21 PM   #759
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
I was thinking about 10 years older but yes.

Weight is very similar to my van, and no canvas to worry about. I often look at upgrading mine for that reason but I still need room for two kids so not an option just yet.

Older ones will be lighter still.
ok great. I'll keep looking. I notice the real old ones look a bit dated. I also need something that has a/c but not an ensuite. I do like the look of the Jayco freedoms though. The layout in particular look the business.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 14-08-2020, 06:52 PM   #760
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

There is no such thing as the perfect fit, a wind up camper is succeptible to wind and mould if not cared for, but it tows much better with less wind resistance, a poptop wont get blown around but will be more drag on your tow rig meaning more stress and fuel.
The old Prattline low tow was the answer, if you could handle the looks.
We leave our jayco's wound up all year round at the van yard, never come in and found one blown away etc.
3 users like this post:
Old 14-08-2020, 07:09 PM   #761
prydey
Rob

Agree. Pro's and con's to everything. Another good thing about the wind up ones is most of the sides are clear windows when wound up, as you can see in the pic I posted earlier. This gives them a nice open feel inside and you don't feel stuck in a box, like you can with some vans. It means the views are available from inside as well as outside.

A further downside is they do get cold in winter for obvious reasons. Mind you, we went to naracoorte in July and kept warm enough with just a little fan heater (240v though).

Shav, at least you're doing your homework. When we decided we might want to get back in to camping for our kids, we wasted a lot of money buying a tent and associated furniture only to use it once and decide tenting wasn't for us. I think a lot of my journey is in this thread (I did start it). If I had my time again I would probably bypass the wind up and go straight to an expander type van/pop top. Just easier for one night stop overs etc.

So if you are looking to get in to exploring the outside world, try to work out fairly well exactly which type of accommodation suits you.

Lots of people offer advice, which is great as you get to tap in to their experiences, and then you just hand pick the bits that apply to you and discard the rest... or all of it

If you ever want to check mine out just give us a yell. Takes 5 min to set it up.
Old 14-08-2020, 07:11 PM   #762
prydey
Rob

Quote:
We leave our jayco's wound up all year round at the van yard, never come in and found one blown away etc.
Never thought of it like that before. Plenty of van yards leave them up. It can be quite daunting when you're inside them though. Logical thoughts tend to go on holiday
Old 14-08-2020, 07:32 PM   #763
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Quote:
ok great. I'll keep looking. I notice the real old ones look a bit dated. I also need something that has a/c but not an ensuite. I do like the look of the Jayco freedoms though. The layout in particular look the business.
We bought an older Viscount with the plan to reno it inside as the frame & exterior was in good nic.

The first thing my wife asked for demanded was an ensuite...

So I built an ensuite...

Old 14-08-2020, 07:35 PM   #764
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Agree. Pro's and con's to everything. Another good thing about the wind up ones is most of the sides are clear windows when wound up, as you can see in the pic I posted earlier. This gives them a nice open feel inside and you don't feel stuck in a box, like you can with some vans. It means the views are available from inside as well as outside.

A further downside is they do get cold in winter for obvious reasons. Mind you, we went to naracoorte in July and kept warm enough with just a little fan heater (240v though).

Shav, at least you're doing your homework. When we decided we might want to get back in to camping for our kids, we wasted a lot of money buying a tent and associated furniture only to use it once and decide tenting wasn't for us. I think a lot of my journey is in this thread (I did start it). If I had my time again I would probably bypass the wind up and go straight to an expander type van/pop top. Just easier for one night stop overs etc.

So if you are looking to get in to exploring the outside world, try to work out fairly well exactly which type of accommodation suits you.

Lots of people offer advice, which is great as you get to tap in to their experiences, and then you just hand pick the bits that apply to you and discard the rest... or all of it

If you ever want to check mine out just give us a yell. Takes 5 min to set it up.
Cheers mate. I have the side awning and side tent and I dont mind the true camp feel. The tent is good as you can at least have shelter if you dont want to take the van. Downside is the time to set it up. Its an easy 2 man job or take your time one man job. A lot harder on your own when there is lots of wind.

Im getting on in years so am looking for the experience with minimal fuss now. Hence looking all the portable options out there first. I slept in my car with foam mattress and find thats great for an over nighter. Easy to setup and pack up. But for the times I want to head away for 3,4,5 nights somewhere, a pop top will serve its purpose better for my old bones over a longer period of time.

Ive considered the roof top tent and while convenient, I dont want it as a permanent feature of my car.

Ive also considered getting a trailer, welding some rails on to fit the RTT on it and set the tub area for a fridge and make shift kitchen. But by the time I do that and fuss around with it, Im better off buying a camper trailer which is already set up. Decent camper trailers are not cheap either, then there is the canvas concern I mentioned before and while I know I will have to pop it up to dry at home, its just another thing to add to the maintenance list.

Then to step up from that, its getting into pop top areas. The Jayco Penguin is a great little unit. Ive checked one out at the last caravan and camping show and really liked it. I would need to get real with myself though and think about the canvas maintenance on it though. The Jayco Freedom looks the goods. Minimal canvas, still feels large and plenty of space.

My only concerns is towing it with my little XV. The XV can only tow 1400kg braked. So the Jayco Freedom is on the highest end of what the car can legally tow. I need to work out what pay load I have left to carry. Not that I want to bring everything but I need to know Im not exceeding the legal limits.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 14-08-2020, 07:41 PM   #765
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie View Post
We bought an older Viscount with the plan to reno it inside as the frame & exterior was in good nic.

The first thing my wife asked for demanded was an ensuite...

So I built an ensuite...

haha, thats brilliant. great job!!!

The only reason I mentioned no ensuite was based on a recent trip in a motorhome. It was only me in there for the first week and my biggest thing I hated was emptying the cassette. Everytime I emptied it, I dry reached. That was my own waste too. Having other family members add to it a week later was a massive turn off for me regardless of the convenience.

If anything, I will consider the smaller unit like you have and have a ensuite shower tent to set up outside for the mrs at worst if going off grid was an option, but other than that, I prefer to avoid them, dig a hole and bury it, OR go to a CP and grab and ensuite site just for her.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 14-08-2020, 07:43 PM   #766
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Quote:
haha, thats brilliant. great job!!!

The only reason I mentioned no ensuite was based on a recent trip in a motorhome. It was only me in there for the first week and my biggest thing I hated was emptying the cassette. Everytime I emptied it, I dry reached. That was my own waste too. Having other family members add to it a week later was a massive turn off for me regardless of the convenience.

If anything, I will consider the smaller unit like you have and have a ensuite shower tent to set up outside for the mrs at worst if going off grid was an option, but other than that, I prefer to avoid them, dig a hole and bury it, OR go to a CP and grab and ensuite site just for her.
Whilst very handy / convenient, emptying them does take a bit of getting used to...
Old 14-08-2020, 08:06 PM   #767
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie View Post
Whilst very handy / convenient, emptying them does take a bit of getting used to...
very true. After emptying it twice, I ended up using the great outdoors or CP toilets instead.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 14-08-2020, 08:46 PM   #768
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
very true. After emptying it twice, I ended up using the great outdoors or CP toilets instead.
Once you get the knack they are actually quite easy to empty and if you use the good chemicals in liberal quantities there is very little smell, probably no more than a caravan park toilet
3 users like this post:
Old 14-08-2020, 08:59 PM   #769
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Once you get the knack they are actually quite easy to empty and if you use the good chemicals in liberal quantities there is very little smell, probably no more than a caravan park toilet
maybe thats where I came unstuck. I was using 2 tablets and a scoop of nappysan and I still could smell it.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 14-08-2020, 09:29 PM   #770
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
maybe thats where I came unstuck. I was using 2 tablets and a scoop of nappysan and I still could smell it.
No buy a bottle of the proper stuff and put maybe a quarter of a cup into the holding tank and another eighth of a cup into the flush tank,very little smell and it breaks the solids up a bit so it pours out the spout a bit easier,doesn’t make it look any better though lol
3 users like this post:
Old 15-08-2020, 07:52 AM   #771
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
No buy a bottle of the proper stuff and put maybe a quarter of a cup into the holding tank and another eighth of a cup into the flush tank,very little smell and it breaks the solids up a bit so it pours out the spout a bit easier,doesn’t make it look any better though lol
Ah the good old dunny.....
Done quite a lot of research on this due to building cabins and motorhomes.
Currently, I like to use Zeolite in the motorhome cassette dunny. Absorbs the liquid which is mainly what produces the smell when mixed with the solid. Sold for the horse stables market.
Quite a lot of country CP's, showgrounds and NP camping area's don't want chemicals down in their septic systems or long drops.
Being offgrid at home, I just installed whats called a 9020 Separatte dry toilet, (a flash composting dunny) just ordered another baby one which will go into the MH later.
They work by separating the dry from liquid waste. In a caravan, boat etc the liquid is captured in a different holding tank while the solids are 12v fan dried to a powder in the chamber.

In a RV....The ammonia pee smell isn't as bad when emptied at a dump point and the broken down solids are approved for garden compost material (still wouldn't put it around the veges though)

In a home install.... the pee is diverted off with grey sink water to a approval reed bed or absorption field.

Mobile wise the biggest problem with this system is cost a pee tank, 12v fan install and the need to be installed under an already busy chassis.
To me its worth it as it doesn't stink and cuts out the cost of chemical toilet additives.
There are a few great RV type composting toilets available now, some are completely self contained Sunmar and Airhead comes to mind.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-09-2020, 04:56 AM   #772
Trevor 57
is now there

We are currently planning our next trip out of lock-down, thank goodness I live in regional Victoria and not Melbourne
Old 16-09-2020, 07:59 PM   #773
ThePursuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
We are currently planning our next trip out of lock-down, thank goodness I live in regional Victoria and not Melbourne
That’s the way Trev, can only imagine the relief that comes with being set free...

I applaud the efforts of most of you victorians, all I need is the mob building my van to get back to work now and I’ll be one happy camper. Still made a mess of my planned 6months off work with these restrictions but best that everyone is doing what they can to stay safe at this point in time and our trip can always wait.

Where you off to?

Current rides:
2020 79 Series GXL
2010 TTG
2011 Polaris RZR XP

Previous rides:
2004 RTV V8 Manual
2006 XR5
2004 Pursuit
1993 XG SPack

Work ride:
2014 Hilux SR 4x4

2015 Hilux SR 2x4
Back in a 2014 Hilux SR 4x4
2017 Hilux SR 4x4 - soon to get GTurbo upgrade with 50% more power over stock

2017 Ranger XLS 4x4

New toy arrived
Fully optioned MASTERPIECE Dynamic Family Caravan
ThePursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2020, 08:54 PM   #774
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Your canvas may flap; mine doesn't, not one bit.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2020, 04:29 AM   #775
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePursuit View Post
That’s the way Trev, can only imagine the relief that comes with being set free...

I applaud the efforts of most of you victorians, all I need is the mob building my van to get back to work now and I’ll be one happy camper. Still made a mess of my planned 6months off work with these restrictions but best that everyone is doing what they can to stay safe at this point in time and our trip can always wait.

Where you off to?
Looking at 2 trips, one up the Buckland Valley, a favourite jaunt and the other up to where the Murray River kinda starts
Old 17-09-2020, 11:40 AM   #776
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Ive been doing a bit of glamping this past 4 weeks, first trip was a couple of nights in the camper on an ensuite site at the Barmera caravan park to give the Pajero a run, backed it up with 3 nights at West beach park again in the camper and enjoyed it so much i went back last weekend for 3 nights in one of their eco tents.
I like staying in these local parks as i can go mid week and still commute to work during the day, then kick back at night talking to randoms.
Old 19-09-2020, 02:58 PM   #777
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

A sneaky weekend away at Myall River Camp.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Old 19-09-2020, 03:12 PM   #778
ThaFlash
Trusted Seller

LOL great photos to show us Melbournians
ThaFlash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2020, 03:33 PM   #779
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Righto, who's heading out for the long weekend?
Old 01-10-2020, 03:42 PM   #780
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Righto, who's heading out for the long weekend?
Not us. Maybe a day trip or two, but no camping.