Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-09-2020, 04:19 AM   #1
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Travel Restrictions??

Anyone had any luck getting through travel restrictions? Based on travelling from one safe place to another?

Up until know I have steadfastly refused work outside WA, but enough's enough.
I have the opportunity to work in Tassie which also seems pretty safe.

But at the moment it seems I would get stuck travelling both ways.
Old 13-09-2020, 06:04 AM   #2
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Default Re: Travel Restrictions??

Myself and others have been travelling from Qld to the NT the whole time, were designated essential services (Offshore Oil & Gas) and the company i work for does all the jumping through hoops with respective State/Territory Govt's and obtain the required exemptions from quarantine, these exemptions are very dependant on where your from, if your from a hotspot then you can basically forget it as you will be required to complete a 14 day quarantine on arrival, that is assuming you even get approved and no one that works for my company has yet....

We have a plenty of guys from WA working with us and they are exempt when travelling to the NT, the problem for them is when they return home, some have had to quarantine and some havn't...

As we employees have a decent amount of paperwork to do and conditions to meet which differ depending on which state you are travelling from, the requirements seem to change all the time, this time we had to do an online questionnaire through the NT Gov website which was not done previously then print out the completed document i flew down to Brisbane yesterday and will be flying to Darwin this morning...

The key is getting declared as essential to the State/Territory you are travelling to and i'm guessing just changing jobs cause you want to won't cut it for Tassie anymore than anywhere else, you have to be essential to that states requirements and your employer wil have to demonstrate that....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 13-09-2020, 06:38 AM   #3
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
Myself and others have been travelling from Qld to the NT the whole time, were designated essential services (Offshore Oil & Gas) and the company i work for does all the jumping through hoops with respective State/Territory Govt's and obtain the required exemptions from quarantine, these exemptions are very dependant on where your from, if your from a hotspot then you can basically forget it as you will be required to complete a 14 day quarantine on arrival, that is assuming you even get approved and no one that works for my company has yet....

We have a plenty of guys from WA working with us and they are exempt when travelling to the NT, the problem for them is when they return home, some have had to quarantine and some havn't...

As we employees have a decent amount of paperwork to do and conditions to meet which differ depending on which state you are travelling from, the requirements seem to change all the time, this time we had to do an online questionnaire through the NT Gov website which was not done previously then print out the completed document i flew down to Brisbane yesterday and will be flying to Darwin this morning...

The key is getting declared as essential to the State/Territory you are travelling to and i'm guessing just changing jobs cause you want to won't cut it for Tassie anymore than anywhere else, you have to be essential to that states requirements and your employer wil have to demonstrate that....
DJR, you mean like the AFL footballers that went to QLD and then their 400 friends ??

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2020, 06:43 AM   #4
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

The (appalling) double standard? Who’d have imagined it!
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 13-09-2020, 06:50 AM   #5
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
DJR, you mean like the AFL footballers that went to QLD and then their 400 friends ??
That's right, we got guys down in Vic that are basically "unemployable" at the moment, as Citroënbender says, blatant double standards.......

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
2 users like this post:
Old 13-09-2020, 06:51 AM   #6
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
The (appalling) double standard? Who’d have imagined it!
and then there's the Masked Singer fly ins. !

This user likes this post:
Old 13-09-2020, 06:58 AM   #7
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
That's right, we got guys down in Vic that are basically "unemployable" at the moment, as Citroënbender says, blatant double standards.......
Guys wall I just finished in Wodonga owns a large drilling company which doesn't seem to be stopping his workers travelling much.
i reckon it would be a different story if they were from Melbourne.

I was told I could easily qualify to travel under a "Rare Trades"permit but I'm happy staying here atm. Though I do have to do a carving (install ????? doubt it) for Bourke NSW.

Old 13-09-2020, 07:11 AM   #8
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Guys wall I just finished in Wodonga owns a large drilling company which doesn't seem to be stopping his workers travelling much.
i reckon it would be a different story if they were from Melbourne.

I was told I could easily qualify to travel under a "Rare Trades"permit but I'm happy staying here atm. Though I do have to do a carving (install ????? doubt it) for Bourke NSW.
Yep, as i said i think a lot depends on where your from and where your going to. The (new) online NT Gov travel application asks if your from a hotspot and offers a map of hotspots as recognized by NT Gov, unfortunately for Vic it covers the whole state so when you 'tick' from Vic the application stops there for us as doing a 14 day quarantine stint is not an option, there is also a bunch of areas around Sydney/NSW but not the whole state.

Love to continue the chat but i better toddle of and catch the plane, it would be an epic stuff up if i missed it as all the paperwork/applications have me on this flight only, would have to start the whole travel process again, and there's only the one today....

Old 13-09-2020, 11:05 AM   #9
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Starting tomorrow, gardeners can move more than 5kms from home and go back to work in Melbourne.

I played half forward for Bonbeach in the 1970's would consider pulling on the boots again and moving to QLD if I got the call!
Old 13-09-2020, 11:43 AM   #10
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

As we speak in lots of ways you'd hardly know there was a pandemic on here in Tasmania until of course you realise there's hardly any interstate number plates on cars and camper vans compared to usual , mail from Melbourne takes a lot longer not least a package I'm waiting on posted in NSW on Sept 1 and still in Victoria apparently . AusPost reckon I might get it about the end of next week .

Schools apart from no socials and limited number social distancing assemblies are operating at usual attendances I believe and with most general shopping it's not too bad . It's been well over 100 days now since we've had a public transmission case and no person with the virus in hospital at all at the moment.

Tourism operators though (as you'd expect) are suffering , not as badly as so many in the bigger States but it still impacts with only 550 ,000 people to draw on . Last week the State Government began a travel voucher scheme for Tasmanian residents to promote and use tourist towns and sites . I believe it got a hammering and closed after the 7.5 million dollar scheme was fully subscribed nearly immediately. See link below..

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-...-full/12636168

Gutwien (Premier) announced that we won't open up to inter- state travellers until at least December 1 . This is despite pretty darn good outcomes and control in most other States and Victoria's situation improving dramatically which is awesome .

No expert but I reckon it will be great for everybody that the sooner we begin to allow really strict but sensible and affordable travel arrangements within Australia again the better off we'll all be . International travel might be some time yet given the North American , European , Asian and African fluctuating situation. Still can't see how anything like a normal Olympic Games in 2021 will happen especially with another Northern Hemisphere winter about to hit .

I think Covid 19 is going to impact 2021 a lot more than so many think , not least with travel restrictions . Bottom line though is staying alive is the key matter .

Last edited by roddy1960; 13-09-2020 at 11:50 AM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2020, 12:37 AM   #11
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FMD.
So, to cap off this thread:
I was contacted about a FIFO project in Tassie, by this pack of Clowns called Xenco.
From the first contact we consistently discussed 3 aspects:
1) The job was meant to be FIFO, Perth to Tassie.
2) With all the Covid ****, all parties needed to be flexible.
3) I would need to quarantine upon entering Tasmania for two weeks.

In regards to flexibility I agreed completely, and said many times that I was happy to do whatever roster would work.
I also told both the HR idiot and the Manager, that if and when the Tassie quarantine was lifted, if I could not get back to WA, I would take my R&R in NSW.

We further agreed that it would be a day-rate, which is industry standard.

So they promised me a contract by Thursday and I started making preparation.
So finally get the contract the following Wednesday arvo, and oh by the way we want you to mobilise Monday.
They'd changed the day-rate to an hourly rate which is a PITFA, and no mention of roster or flights.
I pointed out that there were no flights on Monday, and got fobbed off.

Anyway, I signed all their paperwork, and started trying to get things organised.
One of my suggestions was that we get a computer delivered to me in quarantine, so that I could actually start work. Since, in all of the 6 conversations we'd had, they had told me I needed to quarantine.
But instead of just saying "oh actually we think we get can you essential worker status and avoid quarantine", the manager just chucks a big stink at me. Going off his nut, telling me they're not delivering the computer and it will be waiting for me on site. (and still didn't bother explaining that quarantine was nolonger necessary.)

I'd researched the flights, and told them the ones that worked, but they still kept insisting I had to fly out on Monday. I should have just gone along with the morons, because it would have been freaking hilarious!
Their proposal was to have me fly to MELBOURNE and overnight there before flying to Launceston.
Whereupon I would have been refused entry (for overnighting in Melbourne) and flown back to Melbourne where I would STILL be stuck.

I suggested that long term, when the borders eased, we should work towards me doing a 2:1 or 3:1, stretching to 4:1 when needed.
Their reply: "You must be flexible, you must do a 10:4, but we expect you to stay in Tasmania, you must mob on Monday."

Now I had repeatedly suggested that if they could provide me with the right documentation, I could possible get essential worker exemption. After fobbing me off, they suddenly revert to this "what are you on about?" routine. "Quarantine? What Quarantine? Who said anything about Quarantine? We're going to get you essential worker exemption."

So whilst getting ready to fly (whenever) I reiterated that I was very flexible in regards to roster, but felt I should point out that in the medium term, a 10:4 just wasn't going to work for somebody from Perth. There is one flight-combo per week that can get me there in 9 hours, and two that can get me out in 13. So even if things aligned perfectly (which of course they didn't) I would get a maximum 2 day break, bracketed by 20 hours flying.
If I actually did the roster they wanted, it would have required overnight stays both ways, and given me one night at home.
I did however point out that in the short term I was more than happy doing the 10:4 back to NSW (and visiting by daughter.)
Their response: "You agreed to be flexible. You must do a 10:4, you must fly Monday, and there's somebody who comes from Perth so I should 'piggyback' off whatever he was doing."

So I reiterated that I was trying to be flexible, and said that I would accept any roster, or any length, provided that on break I got at least 3 nights home. I also reiterated that in the early stages I was happy doing a 10:4, or anything else, and spending my break in NSW.

That's when they let me have it with both barrels, had a huge dummy spit about all the work they had put in, and effectively canned my contract. Whilst explaining how gracious they were being by agreeing to waive my notice period.
And they finally conceded that they has simply expected me to STAY in Tasmania, "because that's what somebody else from Perth had decided"
Old 10-10-2020, 10:41 AM   #12
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like you dodged a bullet there Crazy Dazz.
2 users like this post: