Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-05-2020, 10:28 AM   #1
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Nissan 400Z

I dont know why but I am a little excited about this car and the further competition it will being to the segment.

https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...t-time-124465/

Lots of rumours getting around but the platform is in need for an update and seems like they are going all in.

The GTR since R35 has become more of a supercar as such and out of the reach for most, this is going to be great.

Only hope is for a manual to still be an option, hopefully it doesnt follow the Supra's lead but I think Toyota has copped enough flack and the Z has always been a bit more driver focused anyway.

Good times, enjoy what may be the last ICE Z car. Pricing will also be interesting, perhaps inbetween the Mustang and Supra?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 29-05-2020 at 10:53 AM.
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2020, 01:02 PM   #2
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: Nissan 400Z

Looks like it's just a facelifted 370Z, and not a new model like everyone hoped it would be.

The 370 is already old as the hills and severely out of date, considering it dates back to the 350Z of 2002. So it's nearly 20 years old and drives like it.

But Nissan is in severe financial do-do, so expecting anything new is asking a bit much.

But the engine looks like a good upgrade from the NA V6 in the 370. It really needed a turbo to bring the power levels up to current specs.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2020, 01:05 PM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Looks great, cool news on the engine.

I was going to question the need for two turbos at this power level but given it's a V engine maybe it's to keep plumbing to a minimum on the exhaust side.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2020, 01:20 PM   #4
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Looks like it's just a facelifted 370Z, and not a new model like everyone hoped it would be.

The 370 is already old as the hills and severely out of date, considering it dates back to the 350Z of 2002. So it's nearly 20 years old and drives like it.

But Nissan is in severe financial do-do, so expecting anything new is asking a bit much.

But the engine looks like a good upgrade from the NA V6 in the 370. It really needed a turbo to bring the power levels up to current specs.
We all have short memories, how many times did the Falcon get bagged for an "old platform" yet year on year it improved. Naturally there is a limit but you dont need a full redesign to make a good car.

370Z is not that much slower than a 5.0L mustang, the difference would come down to the driver and Nissan fit and finish is much better.

Either way if it has trademarks in the styling like the 240 and will go quicker than a 370 then it cant really be a bad thing.

Poor ol GM fans, what do they have to look forward too?
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
2 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2020, 01:47 PM   #5
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
We all have short memories, how many times did the Falcon get bagged for an "old platform" yet year on year it improved. Naturally there is a limit but you dont need a full redesign to make a good car.

370Z is not that much slower than a 5.0L mustang, the difference would come down to the driver and Nissan fit and finish is much better.

Either way if it has trademarks in the styling like the 240 and will go quicker than a 370 then it cant really be a bad thing.

Poor ol GM fans, what do they have to look forward too?
A 14.8 quarter mile is close to Mustang 5.0 times?

The 370 couldn't even outrun an ecoboost Mustang.

Sports cars require fresh platforms because they need to be at the forefront of dynamics. Is that not the sole reason for their existence? The 370 already gets bagged in reviews because it's old as hell and drives like it. They would need to seriously re-do the entire platform to bring it up to modern standards. But highly unlikely because Nissan is doing so poorly financially.

The engine looks like a big step forward though. Hopefully the rest of the car can match it.
2 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2020, 02:12 PM   #6
Nu66et
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seems ironic to lean so heavily on tradition for things like styling, but then chuck it in the bin when it comes to naming conventions. Just as guilty I suppose as the Germans when they widely adopted turbo engines.
Nu66et is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2020, 03:05 PM   #7
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
A 14.8 quarter mile is close to Mustang 5.0 times?

The 370 couldn't even outrun an ecoboost Mustang.

Sports cars require fresh platforms because they need to be at the forefront of dynamics. Is that not the sole reason for their existence? The 370 already gets bagged in reviews because it's old as hell and drives like it. They would need to seriously re-do the entire platform to bring it up to modern standards. But highly unlikely because Nissan is doing so poorly financially.

The engine looks like a big step forward though. Hopefully the rest of the car can match it.
14.8? I stop reading wheels and motor magazines when I got pubes but from everything I have seen the 370Z is good for high 13's and 0-100 in mid 5's which is more or less the same as the Mustang. Give or take a few tenths but whats that matter, that small difference would come down to the driver.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/niss...t-test-review/

Are you suggesting the mustang is at the forefront of dynamics? The mustang is all its "newness" is marginally quicker than the "old" 370.

Regardless this segment is not like our traditional wang out 1/4 mile hero sedans of the past, sports cars are for handling and enjoyment (as you said). Sure power matters, but 0.5 of a second here and there isn't crucial for a 1/4 times in these.

The below link has the 1/4 at 13.6 FWIW. Not bad times for a dinosaur that is 1.3L's short on the Mustang aswell.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...l-test-review/

14.0 flat here..(NISMO but same same)

https://www.whichcar.com.au/events/b...o-track-review

So, a V6T is going to make a huge difference, other than not having the same noise I think the Supra and mustang on paper are in trouble.

It wont sell like a mustang, but if you want an affordable sports car then its going to be great. I dont think anyone has denied the fact that the 370 is old, but that doesnt render it useless.

Its like bagging the GT86 because its gutless, thats not the point.

The Mustang blurs the lines between muscle and sports car, its really built to be more of the former.

Either way a Mustang vs Supra vs 400Z would be a great review to watch.

To be honest I didnt expect Nissan to build it at all.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 29-05-2020, 03:22 PM   #8
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Mustang GT has run as fast as 11.8 stock. That's in a whole new ball park to 370.

Mid 13's were fast 15 years ago.
3 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2020, 03:36 PM   #9
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Mustang GT has run as fast as 11.8 stock. That's in a whole new ball park to 370.

Mid 13's were fast 15 years ago.
Link for a manual Mustang doing 11's stock? And not some bloke at Calder with the guts stripped out of it.

Im not denying the Mustang isnt a good car, but it and the Camaro are made for yanks who think they are Vin Diesel. If a drag car is what you are after then agreed the Mustang is the pick.

But remember the definition of sportscar you used above, thats more than pub bragging rights over a 1/4 time.

Which none of this really matters as it was about the 400Z, which again is not trying to be a 1/4 hero.

It must be tiresome living one 1/4 mile at a time.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
4 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2020, 04:26 PM   #10
shobotan
Starter Motor

I am just thankful that in this day & age a volume manufacturer like Nissan can still be bothered to make something other than an SUV or EV, especially a rear wheel drive coupe that hopefully you can still get a manual transmission.

For club supersprint type stuff the Z33 is a pretty solid and affordable proposition, but you want the Brembos (Track) version.
shobotan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2020, 05:03 PM   #11
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Link for a manual Mustang doing 11's stock? And not some bloke at Calder with the guts stripped out of it.

Im not denying the Mustang isnt a good car, but it and the Camaro are made for yanks who think they are Vin Diesel. If a drag car is what you are after then agreed the Mustang is the pick.

But remember the definition of sportscar you used above, thats more than pub bragging rights over a 1/4 time.

Which none of this really matters as it was about the 400Z, which again is not trying to be a 1/4 hero.

It must be tiresome living one 1/4 mile at a time.
https://www.thedrive.com/sheetmetal/...om-the-factory

Plenty more examples of stock GT's running into the 11.8's.
Old 29-05-2020, 05:55 PM   #12
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Im not denying the Mustang isnt a good car, but it and the Camaro are made for yanks who think they are Vin Diesel.

marty351 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-05-2020, 06:17 PM   #13
Ben

The 350/370z/g35 is a very underrated car in my opinion. Yes I agree they are not super fast but bang for your buck is a reliable car that you can take to a drift track with out spending any money.

A modern looking 240z with 400hp stock and hopefully a manual option... I would be very tempted at the right price.
Old 29-05-2020, 07:15 PM   #14
MercuryT
Banned

The 370 a lot better than 350.

IMO the 370 is how the 350 should have been to start with.

Always liked a Z, so yes would be great for one to come out.

On this there's a 300z near me which is the 80s model but the anniversary one or something as has different lights but mostly identical to standard. I'll Google now and send a pic but the older guy loves it!! (good on him)
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2020, 07:20 PM   #15
MercuryT
Banned

Looks near identical (can't remember the turbo side decals though) and it's in perfect condition.

2 users like this post:
Old 30-05-2020, 12:22 AM   #16
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
The 350/370z/g35 is a very underrated car in my opinion. Yes I agree they are not super fast but bang for your buck is a reliable car that you can take to a drift track with out spending any money.

A modern looking 240z with 400hp stock and hopefully a manual option... I would be very tempted at the right price.
We had a 370 for 6 odd years, bought new in 2010... albeit an auto & a ragtop.
To say they don’t “drive well” (as someone mentioned above) is ludicrous!
Pushed hard it was like a go kart on steroids.
Stopped, cornered and handled better than any Aussie built stuff, and was just sheer fun to drive. Sitting almost on top of rear wheels no doubt helped the fun factor?
Although never taken to the strip, seat of the pants it was definitely mid 13s car.
As for “dated”? I thought pretty innovative for 2010!...
Aluminium doors, bonnet, boot.. standard 10” rear rims, super precise 7 speed auto (paddle shift) with downshift “blip”, Great Bose sound system etc etc...
Same vehicle with TT would be a hoot!
Good onya Nissan for going again!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-05-2020, 03:00 PM   #17
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
https://www.thedrive.com/sheetmetal/...om-the-factory

Plenty more examples of stock GT's running into the 11.8's.
Was looking for the manual time. You picked a 10 speed auto and options up to $53kUSD. It’s still a quick time but all the other times I posted were manual.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
2 users like this post:
Old 30-05-2020, 03:03 PM   #18
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post
The 370 a lot better than 350.

IMO the 370 is how the 350 should have been to start with.

Always liked a Z, so yes would be great for one to come out.

On this there's a 300z near me which is the 80s model but the anniversary one or something as has different lights but mostly identical to standard. I'll Google now and send a pic but the older guy loves it!! (good on him)
You can say that about any car though, if the newer versions is better than someone’s wasted millions developing a car that’s gone backwards.

The 350 is very capable as a track car that doesn’t blow the budget. The 370 is still a few years away for cheap but I’d like a 350 with the HR engine as a throw around toy.

The 300 is a 1990s beast but kinda of blew out a bit.

Bring in the track comparisons next year, ones with corners.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 30-05-2020, 03:20 PM   #19
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Was looking for the manual time. You picked a 10 speed auto and options up to $53kUSD. It’s still a quick time but all the other times I posted were manual.
Moving the goal posts. Nice.

You never mentioned anything about a manual. Simply said where is the evidence the mustang gt can run 11’s. Which it can.

Manual is about half a second slower.

And the US options are irrelevant cause we get the performance pack standard here.
Old 30-05-2020, 06:11 PM   #20
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
You can say that about any car though, if the newer versions is better than someone’s wasted millions developing a car that’s gone backwards.

The 350 is very capable as a track car that doesn’t blow the budget. The 370 is still a few years away for cheap but I’d like a 350 with the HR engine as a throw around toy.

The 300 is a 1990s beast but kinda of blew out a bit.

Bring in the track comparisons next year, ones with corners.
I agree to an extent.

Just feel the 350 was a little underwhelming when first landed.

I'm sure it is very capable, not suggesting a bad car at all but I would have hoped quicker than car it replaced but was way off.
Old 30-05-2020, 08:56 PM   #21
MercuryT
Banned

350z a backward step in design and especially performance.

Previous model twin turbo, targa roof, cool car.

350 lame. (but each to their own)
Old 30-05-2020, 11:55 PM   #22
MercuryT
Banned

Ps; do I want the Z twin turbo?

Not really but yes way over the limp 350 Is all I meant (plus they had many years to do better....including the 370)
Old 31-05-2020, 12:26 AM   #23
MercuryT
Banned

I know the TT never sold here but what can opportunity lost......

Does anyone know why?

Same as why Supra Mk5 never sold here?
Old 31-05-2020, 12:34 AM   #24
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Love the Z cars. My mate had a 280ZX and his brother had a modded 300ZX TT. Great times in both.

Will be interesting what they can do with this.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-05-2020, 12:42 AM   #25
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
We had a 370 for 6 odd years, bought new in 2010... albeit an auto & a ragtop.
To say they don’t “drive well” (as someone mentioned above) is ludicrous!
Pushed hard it was like a go kart on steroids.
Stopped, cornered and handled better than any Aussie built stuff, and was just sheer fun to drive. Sitting almost on top of rear wheels no doubt helped the fun factor?
Although never taken to the strip, seat of the pants it was definitely mid 13s car.
As for “dated”? I thought pretty innovative for 2010!...
Aluminium doors, bonnet, boot.. standard 10” rear rims, super precise 7 speed auto (paddle shift) with downshift “blip”, Great Bose sound system etc etc...
Same vehicle with TT would be a hoot!
Good onya Nissan for going again!
I've been thinking of living overseas for a bit.

I'm in Law so can't transfer easily, but I'm very interested.

Maybe need to find a girl first.......ha (plus not sure take my dogs overseas)
Old 01-06-2020, 07:38 AM   #26
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Moving the goal posts. Nice.

You never mentioned anything about a manual. Simply said where is the evidence the mustang gt can run 11’s. Which it can.

Manual is about half a second slower.

And the US options are irrelevant cause we get the performance pack standard here.
No I should of stated the obvious that all the other times in those links were were manuals. The mustang hauls with a 10sp auto but so it should, anyone who wants a sports car gets a H pattern and leaves the auto's for the drag racing crew which again is more "muscle car" than sports car.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
2 users like this post:
Old 01-06-2020, 12:37 PM   #27
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post
350z a backward step in design and especially performance.

Previous model twin turbo, targa roof, cool car.

350 lame. (but each to their own)
I do like the 300ZX twin turbo. They look good and go pretty hard.

From what I recall they are a bit of a nightmare electrically under the bonnet. Something to do with the engine taking up so much room, and excessive heat build up from the turbos frying things?
2 users like this post:
Old 01-06-2020, 01:12 PM   #28
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
I do like the 300ZX twin turbo. They look good and go pretty hard.

From what I recall they are a bit of a nightmare electrically under the bonnet. Something to do with the engine taking up so much room, and excessive heat build up from the turbos frying things?
Absolute nightmare to work on - because of their age and cramped hot engine bay they crap out all the electrical connectors and the wiring deteriorates badly.

And everything is a god damn engine out job if it's more than basic service.

But otherwise I quite like them 👍

Imagine seeing one of those on the road when they released in 1989 - it would have looked so futuristic.

I feel like the 1980s/90s and early 00s was Jap golden age where they were making awesome hero cars, then they turned into white goods.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-06-2020, 04:30 PM   #29
Blue Dog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Previously owned a 1993 Nissan Z32 Twin Turbo.
Despite what you hear, they are not a nightmare to work on at all.
The nightmares you hear about relate to those that are purchased at the lower end of the market.
They were usually sold cheap with unrealistic low kilometres showing on the odometer.
It's a common occurrence for the speedo's to be wound back in Japan.
Being relatively cheap to purchase initially, they were attractive to the younger generation who were incapable of fixing the vehicle, therefore if something went wrong they had others do the work.
Usually these 'others' had little to no knowledge of these cars.
Of course the first thing the new owners wanted was more boost, which was very easy to accomplish.
What they didn't realise was the car they had just bought didn't really have 40,000k on the clock but closer to 350 or 400,000 + k's & what did they do?
Add boost!
A fair few of these new owners were on a limited budget & were flat out affording to put fuel in the tank, let alone do the proper maintenance.
Hence the reputation of overheating & mechanical problems evolved.

The most famous would undoubtedly be the JUN/Blitz Z32 that ran on the Bonneville Salt Flats in 1991 & set a speed record of 419.84 km/hr.
The record still stands today.
There are videos on youtube of the car making the passes.
Plus one of it being driven on the streets in Japan.
It was sold recently at auction.
Blue Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2020, 12:57 PM   #30
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...design-125979/

So more and more rumours and renderings making it hard for Nissan to deviate.

I think I am just as excited about this as a Mustang, competition is good.

/thoughts of a 350Z with that 3.0TT

We will need to enjoy releases like this, they are only going to get less frequent as the years go on unless you like your battery packs.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane