Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #1
tickford6

Default Au xr6 Manual vs vt-vz?

Hey guys I was just wondering what would be quicker in a straight line 0-100 a manual xr6 au or a vt-vz Manual not s pac, I know someone with a vt Manual and one with a vz manual both of them think they will blow me off the road, so who do you think would win? Keeping in mind my au is in mint condition and the vt is trashed out and beat up beyond road worthy haha

tickford6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2013, 11:44 AM   #2
tickford6

Default Re: Au xr6 Manual vs vt-vz?

I know the vz has the upper hand because is a few years newer so I wouldn't really expect to beat it but I don't think I'd be far behind it
Old 05-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #3
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Tell your mate to stop the small talk and give it a go, so many variables like missed gears and stalling it.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-01-2013, 11:54 AM   #4
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

There won't be much in it. Every time I go to the drags I can race turbos, V8's whatever and until 100km/h theres sometimes only a car length difference. There can be so much difference with the reaction as well and that's in a controlled situation.

I think the power/weight should favour the VZ manual but the extra torque of the AU XR6 might get it off the line sufficiently better that the 10 odd kW can be made up. Assuming of course the VZ is a 175 motor and not a 190.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #5
tickford6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO View Post
There won't be much in it. Every time I go to the drags I can race turbos, V8's whatever and until 100km/h theres sometimes only a car length difference. There can be so much difference with the reaction as well and that's in a controlled situation.

I think the power/weight should favour the VZ manual but the extra torque of the AU XR6 might get it off the line sufficiently better that the 10 odd kW can be made up. Assuming of course the VZ is a 175 motor and not a 190.
What do you reckon about the vt? I'm more interested in that because there rival models haha
Old 05-01-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

On paper the VT should be the slowest, but there's still not going to be much in it 0-100km/h.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:13 PM   #7
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

put maccas on it.. then line em up...

problem solvered....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #8
Djrystofer

There's only one way you're going to find out...

On a private road.
Djrystofer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #9
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

dont know where you are but if in Sydney, put $50 down and head to WSID Wednesday night drags. Loser pays the winners entry.

My money is on the AU against the VT. Live axel so less losses VS IRS in the VT (in theory!)
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #10
Tim9
Starter Motor

I would have thought the AU would win it.
Tim9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #11
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
dont know where you are but if in Sydney, put $50 down and head to WSID Wednesday night drags. Loser pays the winners entry.

My money is on the AU against the VT. Live axel so less losses VS IRS in the VT (in theory!)
Sounds like the best way to solve it to me, safe, legal & a **** load of fun

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #12
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

A lot depends on the drivers.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2013, 05:08 PM   #13
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

all drivers being equal it will be bloody close between the AU and VZ up until 100kph, after that the AU will stretch its legs. you will leave the VT behind.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #14
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

last time I had this debate we ended up at calder...was a few years ago, on paper his rwd car should have trounced my front driver, but I crossed the line ahead, not comfortably but ahead, quicker ET, similar reaction time, him slightly faster...He had the handbrake on slightly didnt he, so better driver won despite slower car, proving my point.
And to be fair to him he coughed up the winnings to with only slight complaining.
JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2013, 04:22 PM   #15
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AU against the VT i'd have my money on the AU. most AU 6 cylinders would thump most VT V6s. especially at highway speeds. driven both out on a highway and the AU just leaves the VT behind. off the mark the VT will keep up for a bit but the AU will go harder the faster the speed. take him down the local dragstrip or race track. as for the VZ I think if its a alloytech 175 It'll give the AU a good run for its money. the 190 I think he'll have you. but you never know. faster car doesn't mean better driver.
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #16
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrider View Post
AU against the VT i'd have my money on the AU. most AU 6 cylinders would thump most VT V6s. especially at highway speeds. driven both out on a highway and the AU just leaves the VT behind. off the mark the VT will keep up for a bit but the AU will go harder the faster the speed. take him down the local dragstrip or race track. as for the VZ I think if its a alloytech 175 It'll give the AU a good run for its money. the 190 I think he'll have you. but you never know. faster car doesn't mean better driver.
Falcon 6 versus Commodore 6. Ever since the EB2 4.0 was released in 1992 the Falcon has been quicker in that year model.

Really the only time that it has been close is lately with the 210kW VE and the 195kW FG. The Commodore now has extra power, but the Falcon absolutely flogs it for torque. Driver only and the Commodore is now quicker by 1/10th to 100kmh. Driver and passenger and the Falcon is quicker by 2/10ths. That is the torque.

FG 195kW versus the VE2 with the 3.0L and the Falcon is 2 whole seconds quicker to 100kmh!

If your mates cars both have the Ecotec 3.8L you will beat them. They are just typical trash talking, trash driving GMHolden fans. Take it to the drags.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2013, 10:03 PM   #17
RAPID_BA
Banned

I have a old magazine that compared the vt ss (series 1 5.0 motor) and s pack supercharged v6 against the au xr6 and au xr8. All manuals except the super6 as they are auto only.

The s pack supercharged v6 destroyed the lot of them, au xr6/au xr8 and the old Holden 5.0 v8 vt ss. The supercharged s pack (auto only) was good for flat 15 bog stock. The other cars were slower in that test. Some other tests had the super6 in the 14s

But Even the non supercharged models would give you a really tight run, they had the getrag 5speed box which had some tight ratios which offsets the au superior torque. They are Good for a flat 16/high15s. Be a tough run but I think you will get them.

But to be fair, Your comparing the performance ford offering that is the au xr6 against the base ecotec/alloytec. The vt/vz performance models are the supercharged v6/alloytec190 and the ls1.
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2013, 10:28 PM   #18
f1tzy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The vz v6 manual was not fast at all i had an s pack ute which is the base model motor and it is torque-less not to mention the clutch wont let you go for a full attack launch. As long as you can launch your car and get good shifts you should win. The vt isnt even in the running
f1tzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2013, 10:29 PM   #19
f1tzy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPID_BA View Post
I have a old magazine that compared the vt ss (series 1 5.0 motor) and s pack supercharged v6 against the au xr6 and au xr8. All manuals except the super6 as they are auto only.

The s pack supercharged v6 destroyed the lot of them, au xr6/au xr8 and the old Holden 5.0 v8 vt ss. The supercharged s pack (auto only) was good for flat 15 bog stock. The other cars were slower in that test. Some other tests had the super6 in the 14s

But Even the non supercharged models would give you a really tight run, they had the getrag 5speed box which had some tight ratios which offsets the au superior torque. They are Good for a flat 16/high15s. Be a tough run but I think you will get them.

But to be fair, Your comparing the performance ford offering that is the au xr6 against the base ecotec/alloytec. The vt/vz performance models are the supercharged v6/alloytec190 and the ls1.
Xr6 motor is the same as the base model if not it has a whole hand full of kw more.
f1tzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2013, 10:31 PM   #20
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1tzy View Post
Xr6 motor is the same as the base model if not it has a whole hand full of kw more.
It's not the same in the AU series but there isn't much in it.

I think the VZ will have you covered.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:57 AM   #21
ebxr82nv
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If your falcon is up to scratch and you can nail both the launch and the change from 2nd to 3rd you should take the vt by at least half a second and the vz by .1 or .2
97 el futura MOCKed up with a 2500 stall, heaps of fun!
ebxr82nv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #22
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1tzy View Post
AU XR6 motor is the same as the base motor except for different cam, head, valves and diff gear. hardly same as base motor.

Take on the VT Supercharged V6 which is the AU XR6 equivalent and see what happens.
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2013, 02:43 PM   #23
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wasnt there two XR6 motors in the AU range?? the 164kw HP and the 172kw VCT??
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2013, 03:12 PM   #24
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The VZ because no doubt the Chev badge will give it an extra 100kw. That Fraud wont know what hit it.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 07-01-2013, 04:16 PM   #25
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrider View Post
wasnt there two XR6 motors in the AU range?? the 164kw HP and the 172kw VCT??
Yep but all the models with the higher powered VCT motor had standard IRS so the power/weight was worse
Old 07-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #26
Falcman0o7
Banned

Commodore on take off, falcon after 100-200 meters.
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #27
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:

I remember reading the same article. The Supercharged V6 was quick for it's time. But, it's not what we are comparing here when referring to the OP. His mates reckon their pov pack manual Commodores are faster than his XR6.

Quote:
The lack of torque the Commodore has is amplified by the auto and reduced in the manual. AU XR6 should get the VT easy enough and just get the VZ (6 years newer model) if it's the 175kW jobbie. OP Teach your mates a lesson!

Quote:
The OP's mates were. But, since you brought up the the VT/VX/VZ era. Remember it covered the AU/BA/BF. So lets bring into this discussion the XR6 Turbo... That is a hero car. A cult car. So good it forced GMHolden to drop their SCV6 because it just couldn't compete (just months after talking about how it would rip the forthcoming performance 6 BA's a new one)...

Back on topic. Just get to the drags. Try and get 3 or more runs. One or more against each mate and have them race each other in their own cars.

Good luck, let us know how you go!

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2013, 11:13 PM   #28
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

Get a good launch and you'll comfortably leave both behind.
I can say from experience tickford motor/T5 combination will easily sort out V6 commodores.
From memory the 3.6 Alloytec v6 had less low down torque than the ecotec 3.8 so good launch and you'll give him a nice surprise.

Take it to your local strip and put a wager on it and if can you get get someone to film it.
You'll have great fun legally without having to worry.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2013, 09:44 AM   #29
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lucky one of your mates didnt have an early VN executive auto! you would have no chance!

Can still remember one of my mates dads with 5 people in it just lighting up the tyres no probs!

After that they changed the "launch feel"! VT's got heavy. early VN's are the light fast ones.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2013, 09:50 AM   #30
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

I munched a VN or 2 in my 4sp BA lol. They're not that good really. They got a good short first gear and then it's nothing after that.
2 users like this post: