Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15-09-2011, 08:22 PM   #1
Swedishmoose

Default Issues with instrument cluster

Hi there,

I was actually browsing for a code reader online that would work on an AU (which seems to be a problem just by itself) and while I was browsing I found a pdf document which had a section with some AU problems.

This was one of the worse ones and I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced that:

The Ford AU Series (6cyl 4.0L) is susceptible to problems affecting the instrument cluster. Some of the symptoms include: Gauges on instrument cluster fl ickering, especially the speedometer and temperature gauge. Digital display on instrument cluster becomes unstable for example; large change in kilometre reading or odd characters and or symbols. Initial response is to condem the instrument cluster as faulty, but, generally there are two common causes of these problems.
Firstly, a faulty ignition coil can cause back feed (inductance) through the ECU consequently disrupting instrument cluster operation i.e. fl ickering gauges.
Although engine performance is unaffected it can be assumed i.e. no missfire
for example, assumingly the coil pack is O.K. Secondly, alternator phase shift
introducing a corrupted (Noisey) signal the vehicles power supply can also affect instrument cluster operation, notably this problem affects the digital display on the instrument cluster, however, the alternator warning lamp indicates no apperent malfunction and remains off. If any faults discussed are timely rectifi ed, high probability instrument cluster will return to normal operational state.
Prolonging rectification of causes generally results to terminal damage beyond
repair and replacement remains the only option.

It sounds somewhat extreme and after reading that I was actually thinking of just replacing the coil and alternator in order to protect the instrument cluster as both components are actually relatively cheap to replace (compared to an instrument cluster).

And if anyone knows a code reader that works on an AU Falcon....well, I'd be happy to know about it.

Thanks

The Moose

Swedishmoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post