Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 21-07-2021, 07:31 PM   #1
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Default Re: Covid 19 -

2 different strains. the latter being way more infectious.
The way things were handled in the past is insignificant.
The way we move forward is the key.
Blame game will get you no where.
Old 21-07-2021, 08:18 PM   #2
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mont5.0 View Post
2 different strains. the latter being way more infectious.
The way things were handled in the past is insignificant.
The way we move forward is the key.
Blame game will get you no where.
Well said and this is what catching everyone off guard this new Delta strain has done, a complete new ball game.
4 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2021, 08:27 PM   #3
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
Well said and this is what catching everyone off guard this new Delta strain has done, a complete new ball game.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest a new strain, that from all accounts spreads much easier than those linked to previous outbreaks that have resulted in hundreds of deaths, may very well require a faster, more comprehensive approach, not the opposite.

I'm looking forward to GSS wave3.0 that will eventually sweep through at which point Glady's will either slam the state into lockdown in a move that proves they got it wrong this time or she maintains her defiant stance and more people die.

Last edited by BENT_8; 21-07-2021 at 08:37 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2021, 08:45 PM   #4
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest a new strain, that from all accounts spreads much easier than those linked to previous outbreaks that have resulted in hundreds of deaths, may very well require a faster, more comprehensive approach, not the opposite.

I'm looking forward to GSS wave3.0 that will eventually sweep through at which point Glady's will either slam the state into lockdown in a move that proves they got it wrong this time or she maintains her defiant stance and more people die.
hang up the hate NSW boots champ. We ALL need to sort this.
Its in every state bar tassie and ACT?

Last edited by Mont5.0; 21-07-2021 at 08:51 PM.
7 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2021, 08:53 PM   #5
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
hang up the hate NSW boots champ. We ALL need to sort this.
Umm, myself and the other 1.7m South Australians are doing our bit to sort this and we'll be clean and free again well before your mob.

Meanwhile, your mob are busy reminding us how bad it could be.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2021, 09:08 PM   #6
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

States are working together. WA and SA were helping NSW with their contact tracing. Why wasn't that news worthy? I suspect SA now has their own problems to deal with. Mark and Gladys have exchanged blows in the past, but at the end of the day, we are all working together to get this sorted.

When asked whether he thought it was fair that 800,000 of the 1,000,000 pfizer would go to NSW (a rumour that has yet to be denied), Dan Andrews said it made sense that NSW should get them given what has transpired, and that there would be no complaints from Vic. Did no one notice that?

It just seems the help is all one way.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.

Last edited by T3rminator; 21-07-2021 at 09:19 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2021, 09:11 PM   #7
nstg8a

When people have experienced vastly different situations during the wuhan pandemic it’s only natural you’re going to have very different attitudes amongst members.

Ie someone who is in Melbourne that works in a non essential role is going to have had a very different last 18 months to someone like myself who is in Brisbane where I haven’t lost a single day or work, our lockdowns have been a tiny fraction of what a melbournian has been through and life is largely unchanged for us.

I feel no pressure or similar to get the vaccinations, I’m unlikely to suffer any major complication if I actually get the virus which is a minuscule chance in itself.

I do sit back and wonder for how much longer can the govt continue with so many double standards before the average joe actually overcomes their apathy and says enough is enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2021, 10:46 PM   #8
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
I feel no pressure or similar to get the vaccinations, I’m unlikely to suffer any major complication if I actually get the virus which is a minuscule chance in itself.
I'm interested to know, nstg8a, if you think the pressure will change once sufficient vaccinations within the wider community are effected that we then open up the restrictions and allow COVID to run free, ala what is happening in the UK.

Is it the current zero cases regime that is making you feel comfortable? You say that the chances of you getting COVID is a minuscule chance, but is that only because the current zero cases mantra is protecting you?

I'm not being critical of your point of view in any way, just wondering as to what is driving your thinking.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
This user likes this post:
Old 23-07-2021, 10:47 PM   #9
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
I'm interested to know, nstg8a, if you think the pressure will change once sufficient vaccinations within the wider community are effected that we then open up the restrictions and allow COVID to run free, ala what is happening in the UK.

Is it the current zero cases regime that is making you feel comfortable? You say that the chances of you getting COVID is a minuscule chance, but is that only because the current zero cases mantra is protecting you?

I'm not being critical of your point of view in any way, just wondering as to what is driving your thinking.

I hadn’t thought about it much but yeah I guess the extremely low cases would be a driver for my line of thinking.

Even if I do get it, statistically I probably wouldn’t even know unless I get tested, it seems the vast majority don’t get any symptoms at all, or only very mild symptoms.

I get bad hay fever fairly regularly so who knows, maybe I’ve already had it and I thought it was hay fever?

I still don’t know anyone that’s had it, it almost feels like I’m watching a movie or something it’s so detached from my reality.
Having to wear a mask for the last two weeks is pretty much the worst of my covid experience this far.
2 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2021, 11:42 PM   #10
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:

I still don’t know anyone that’s had it, it almost feels like I’m watching a movie or something it’s so detached from my reality.
Having to wear a mask for the last two weeks is pretty much the worst of my covid experience this far.

I thought the same, till a co-workers dad caught it.
He has been absent from work (close contact) for last 16days, been tested every 5 days, all his tests negative. everyone else who has worked with him, tested negative. Still a bit anxious on his return next week.
Old 24-07-2021, 09:06 AM   #11
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
I thought the same, till a co-workers dad caught it.
He has been absent from work (close contact) for last 16days, been tested every 5 days, all his tests negative. everyone else who has worked with him, tested negative. Still a bit anxious on his return next week.
When he comes back you should all chip in and buy him a decent bottle of "single malt"
Just for doing the right thing by his workmates!lol

And not that Glenfidich crap!

Cheers Billy
3 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2021, 06:43 AM   #12
Metdevil

Quote:
We've only had ~3,000 cases in NZ, but I feel like I've had a few close calls with a few of the 'clusters' we have had. Between second and third-hand contacts it seems that we humans really get around.
Had a few instances where a workmate has been in the area of clusters when they began, have had to self-isolate while they await test results, and then had to prepare for if they come back positive that we'd be out of work until the cluster dissolves.

Luckily none of it has come to anything so far, but with only 3,000 cases if we've had these few close calls as it is, I don't feel like it would take much for the virus to take hold in NZ.

In saying that, I don't know anyone directly who has had it, but we interact with people on a daily basis who interact with more people on a daily basis and it's kind of like a '... and they tell two friends, and they tell two friends...' situation.
It's kind of a joke here in NZ that everyone knows each other by only two degrees of separation, so it seems that everyone knows someone who knows someone who's had it
Old 24-07-2021, 09:26 AM   #13
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metdevil View Post
We've only had ~3,000 cases in NZ, but I feel like I've had a few close calls with a few of the 'clusters' we have had. Between second and third-hand contacts it seems that we humans really get around.
Had a few instances where a workmate has been in the area of clusters when they began, have had to self-isolate while they await test results, and then had to prepare for if they come back positive that we'd be out of work until the cluster dissolves.

Luckily none of it has come to anything so far, but with only 3,000 cases if we've had these few close calls as it is, I don't feel like it would take much for the virus to take hold in NZ.

In saying that, I don't know anyone directly who has had it, but we interact with people on a daily basis who interact with more people on a daily basis and it's kind of like a '... and they tell two friends, and they tell two friends...' situation.
It's kind of a joke here in NZ that everyone knows each other by only two degrees of separation, so it seems that everyone knows someone who knows someone who's had it
Its very odd, it seems people will either know lots of other people affected, or they know none. We have lots of extended families (11 siblings on dad's side, 9 on mum's side) and friends abroad, including NZ. Many are in the hot spot areas at the beginning and even now, and we know of a few who have had it and a few who have died. Naturally my reaction to CV and restrictions is very much different to a lot of people here.

We have had deaths at our organisation in centres located in the US, so management globally take it extremely seriously e.g. all our offices are now fitted with the facial temperature checker, the one where you can see a video of yourself, and there is a person out the front checking that you use it every time. There are cleaners going through all the high touch points every few minutes. We are even now considering providing funding for essential office staff to rent cars rather letting them catch public transport.

BTW, has NZ had ANY hotel leaks?

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

Old 21-07-2021, 10:38 PM   #14
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Some interesting perspectives over the last few pages.

IMO if you have a medical condition that makes you vulnerable and your concerned then get the shot or if you aren’t comfortable then don’t, that’s a personal choice and I fully support anyone’s right to their own medical decisions.

The country can’t afford to sit on its hands for another 6, 12, 18 or 24 months for the minority to be at close to zero risk, especially when are a large percentage of the at risk are still going to be at risk from their other outstanding medical concerns.

Also if your at risk and don’t feel comfortable interacting with the community then self isolate, order your groceries via family or delivery services and avoid outside the household interaction?

Push is coming to shove, we need to break free of these massive state wide lockdowns for reasons that have been well explained not least of which is the financial repercussions within government and the private sector.
3 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2021, 07:27 AM   #15
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U View Post
Some interesting perspectives over the last few pages.

IMO if you have a medical condition that makes you vulnerable and your concerned then get the shot or if you aren’t comfortable then don’t, that’s a personal choice and I fully support anyone’s right to their own medical decisions.

The country can’t afford to sit on its hands for another 6, 12, 18 or 24 months for the minority to be at close to zero risk, especially when are a large percentage of the at risk are still going to be at risk from their other outstanding medical concerns.

Also if your at risk and don’t feel comfortable interacting with the community then self isolate, order your groceries via family or delivery services and avoid outside the household interaction?

Push is coming to shove, we need to break free of these massive state wide lockdowns for reasons that have been well explained not least of which is the financial repercussions within government and the private sector.
Agreed, those at high risk will always be at high risk, so....we are locking down for people who either wont or cant get vaccinated...

We need to get those vaccinations rates up, until then no rational conversation about the next step can really happen.

Question for those who at at risk, Covid in some way or form will never leave us, so is that an indefinite fate?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 22-07-2021 at 07:49 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2021, 03:53 AM   #16
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How about we just quarantine the sick and the vulnerable. No restriction whatsoever on the vaccinated.
Unvaccinated healthy people over 16 to take appropriate precautions

Trying to think when last in history we decided that healthy people should be quarantined.
2 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2021, 08:59 AM   #17
HIPO
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG View Post
How about we just quarantine the sick and the vulnerable. No restriction whatsoever on the vaccinated.

Trying to think when last in history we decided that healthy people should be quarantined.
Yep, we've been completely suckered in to this stupid scenario.
Old 22-07-2021, 09:12 AM   #18
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIPO View Post
Yep, we've been completely suckered in to this stupid scenario.

Maybe it's natural progression of the human race!...

Cheers Billy

Last edited by slowsnake; 22-07-2021 at 09:28 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2021, 09:25 AM   #19
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG View Post

Germany WW2

Cheers Billy
2 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2021, 09:34 AM   #20
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Oh dear, this is not good. I sincerely hope that it's not the start of what we saw happen in Vic last year. The good news is that all residents have had their vaccinations at least and test results so far show no positive cases amongst the residents.

Sydney aged care home in lockdown
An aged care home in Sydney's south will remain locked down over the next two weeks after a nurse tested positive for COVID-19.

The staff member from The Palms Aged Care home in Kirrawee was diagnosed with the virus on Tuesday night, plunging the facility into lockdown.

The 65 elderly residents, who are in isolation, have been swabbed, with half the results back so far, all of them negative.

Staff members who were considered close contacts of the infected nurse were isolating at home and all had tested negative.

The nursing home said all the elderly residents had been vaccinated but not all the staff. A public health vaccination unit was on site delivering more jabs on Wednesday.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 22-07-2021, 09:37 AM   #21
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I know there's at least a couple of members here who live out Elizabeth way, so I'm posting this here in case they read this and were at the shopping centre recently:

South Australia's COVID exposure sites list

ABC News
The entire Elizabeth City Centre shopping centre and two cafes in Elizabeth have been named as among the most concerning exposure sites in Adelaide's coronavirus outbreak, along with more businesses in the city's north-east.

Everyone who has been at the Elizabeth City Centre on Monday, July 19, from 10:15am to 1:45pm must quarantine for 14 days.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2021, 10:17 AM   #22
HIPO
Al

Quote:
I know there's at least a couple of members here who live out Elizabeth way, so I'm posting this here in case they read this and were at the shopping centre recently:

ABC News
The entire Elizabeth City Centre shopping centre and two cafes in Elizabeth have been named as among the most concerning exposure sites in Adelaide's coronavirus outbreak, along with more businesses in the city's north-east.

Everyone who has been at the Elizabeth City Centre on Monday, July 19, from 10:15am to 1:45pm must quarantine for 14 days.
Apparently some Gawler schools too.... north of Elizabeth.
2 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2021, 11:48 AM   #23
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:

ABC News

Thanks, turns out the friend that our 'interstate guest' visited on Tuesday afternoon whilst she should have been here in lockdown, is now in 14 days isolation as she spent most of Monday at the Elizabeth shopping centre.

16 months we have done our best to avoid bringing this to our home, self imposed isolation before it was an order, lost income and after all that someone ignorant of the rules possibly opens our doors to it.
2 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2021, 10:17 AM   #24
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I’ve got my father in respite presently (very different place, but realistically the pool of staff is not much different), he’s half vaccinated and due for the top-up in four weeks. They might well bring it forward if stuff like this is happening. That said, I believe an unpalatable truth of when coronavirus got into aged care last year, was that some people in positions of influence weren’t overly bothered by the prospect.

Quote:
Oh dear, this is not good. I sincerely hope that it's not the start of what we saw happen in Vic last year. The good news is that all residents have had their vaccinations at least and test results so far show no positive cases amongst the residents.

An aged care home in Sydney's south will remain locked down over the next two weeks after a nurse tested positive for COVID-19.

The staff member from The Palms Aged Care home in Kirrawee was diagnosed with the virus on Tuesday night, plunging the facility into lockdown.

The 65 elderly residents, who are in isolation, have been swabbed, with half the results back so far, all of them negative.

Staff members who were considered close contacts of the infected nurse were isolating at home and all had tested negative.

The nursing home said all the elderly residents had been vaccinated but not all the staff. A public health vaccination unit was on site delivering more jabs on Wednesday.
3 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2021, 11:44 AM   #25
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I heard that many of the residents are vaccinated, not sure if 1 or 2 shots, but that is good
2 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2021, 11:47 AM   #26
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
I heard that many of the residents are vaccinated, not sure if 1 or 2 shots, but that is good
Says in the article, Trev, that:

Quote:
all the elderly residents had been vaccinated
But, yeah, not sure if that is single shot or fully vaccinated.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 22-07-2021, 07:40 AM   #27
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To quote my very practical, non-aggressive wife

"The Federal Government had 2 jobs, to protect our border and to roll out the vaccine, as the States picked up the rest of their load, they had 2 jobs and they couldn't get that right"
Old 22-07-2021, 09:37 AM   #28
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's got ahead of nsw and possibly Vic.

Big number for vic today I hear.

Aged care are at least partially vaxxed.

Take care.

Rides (past and present)

Old 22-07-2021, 10:17 AM   #29
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
It's got ahead of nsw and possibly Vic.

Big number for vic today I hear.

Aged care are at least partially vaxxed.

Take care.
Highest number this year, but the good news is that 24 of the 26 new cases were in quarantine.

Quote:
Victoria records 26 local COVID-19 cases
Victoria has recorded 26 new local COVID cases, the highest daily figure this year.

All the new cases are linked to the known outbreaks, and 24 of the 26 cases were in quarantine throughout their entire infectious period.

There were 43,674 test results received on Wednesday.

According to yesterday's health department update, five people were in hospital with COVID-19 in Victoria, including one person in intensive care.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 22-07-2021, 10:23 AM   #30
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Highest number this year, but the good news is that 24 of the 26 new cases were in quarantine.
Prahran market now a tier 1 site.

Haven't been down that way this lock down, but last lock down it was busy with people out and about in that "zone". Mask compliance was high though. Its never a good thing when a meat market is tier 1. Fingers crossed. We won't know for 2-3 days the impact.

I'm surprised other markets like box hill, dandenong and springvale haven't been affected....prime super spreader locations.

Rides (past and present)

Closed Thread