Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-06-2024, 07:23 PM   #1
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Falcon waterpump pulley not coming off - urgent

Hi guys,

I am replacing the waterpump on an FG Falcon na 6 and purchased a Toledo power steering pulley removal kit (part number 245380). I can't for the life of me get the damn water pump pulley off with it and even though the new water pump I bought has a pulley on it already, you have to remove the pulley from the old water pump to get the bloody bolts out

It comes to a point when turning with the pulley removal kit on it where it won't go anymore

Urgent help required
fgpsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2024, 07:26 PM   #2
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Re: Falcon waterpump pulley not coming off - urgent

Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-ZG3ZKjF5A while using a strap wrench (e.g. https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...=en_AU&start=3 )to hold the pulley so it does not turn

Last edited by aussiblue; 21-06-2024 at 07:33 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2024, 07:32 PM   #3
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Yes mate exactly the same
Old 21-06-2024, 07:37 PM   #4
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Note if it's a plastic pulley it's oftem bonded on (glued on) and you will need to buy a new metal pulley e.g. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/13442272...Bk9SR_akjp-HZA
Old 21-06-2024, 08:14 PM   #5
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Note if it's a plastic pulley it's oftem bonded on (glued on) and you will need to buy a new metal pulley e.g. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/13442272...Bk9SR_akjp-HZA
the replacement waterpump I bought is this aftermarket one from repco which already has the pulley on there. The genuine ford one doesn't come with a pulley https://www.repco.com.au/parts-servi...fg%20waterpump

But as I said I can't even get the pulley off the old one that's in the car
Old 21-06-2024, 08:35 PM   #6
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Ok if need be out with the dermal and cut through the plastic pulley near the shaft although you should be easily able to get a low profile or flex head ring spanner (e.g. https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...=en_AU&start=2 or https://www.repco.com.au/tools-equip...flex%20spanner ) or an open ender in behind the pulley to loosen the bolts.

Last edited by aussiblue; 21-06-2024 at 08:48 PM.
This user likes this post:
Old 21-06-2024, 08:50 PM   #7
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi. If it is the same as a BA you can remove all bolts bar one which is partially covered by the pulley but you can loosen this bolt and move the pump away from the engine and then continue to undo it until you can remove the pump. With the pump off the engine the bolt should angle away from the pulley enough to remove it from the pump. Use the same method to install the new pump without removing the pulley. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2024, 12:46 AM   #8
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

It does come off with the pulley ON, as others said its fiddly but. Try an open ender or 1/4 drive socket as they are smaller.

Worse case cut it off...

It would be simpler if the diameter was a few mm smaller...
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Yesterday, 04:50 PM   #9
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot3 View Post
Hi. If it is the same as a BA you can remove all bolts bar one which is partially covered by the pulley but you can loosen this bolt and move the pump away from the engine and then continue to undo it until you can remove the pump. With the pump off the engine the bolt should angle away from the pulley enough to remove it from the pump. Use the same method to install the new pump without removing the pulley. Cheers MD
Ended up getting it off like this, installed the new genuine ford waterpump with dayco steel pulley as aussieblue suggested. Installed the dayco pulley with the toledo kit no worries. Installed new genuine idler pulley and tensioner. Got a new motorcraft genuine belt and its fitting abit loose near the alternator and around the waterpump pulley and screetches when I started it

I'm a bit stumped
Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM   #10
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Have you the correct length belt? They vary from BA-BF Barra motors.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Yesterday, 06:23 PM   #11
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Have you the correct length belt? They vary from BA-BF Barra motors.
It's an fg mk II xr6 na

Got the motorcraft SX8620A. As far as I can tell it's the correct one ?

https://www.jeffersonfordparts.com.a...sx-sy-territor
Old Yesterday, 06:37 PM   #12
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
its fitting abit loose near the alternator and around the waterpump pulley and screetches when I started it
Sound like you either:

a) need a new tensioner; or
b) have incorrectly routed the belt; or
c) haven't tightened the tensioner belt to the correct 25Nm, or
d) the tensioner alignment pin is not correctly located on the timing chain cover.

See https://fordforums.com.au/wsmpub/fg/303-05.html
Old Yesterday, 06:49 PM   #13
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sound like you either:

a) need a new tensioner; or
b) have incorrectly routed the belt; or
c) haven't tightened the tensioner belt to the correct 25Nm, or
d) the tensioner alignment pin is not correctly located on the timing chain cover.

See https://fordforums.com.au/wsmpub/fg/303-05.html
Mate I have done everything correctly and used a torque wrench

New belt, new tensioner, new idler pulley

I'm completely stumped
Old Yesterday, 07:30 PM   #14
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Put the old belt back on and compare it...
As Citroen said they did make them slightly different sometime...

I have always used non Motorcraft code ....2220 number belt, which is the length in mm.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM   #15
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Is there a difference in diameter between the old and new water pump pulleys? The harmonic balancer is not starting to separate and walk the belt forward is it see the links I posted here https://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11499293 ? As they say here https://automotiveden.com/harmonic-balancer/
Quote:
If the Harmonic balancer fails, the drive belt tensioner may begin moving abnormally. This can cause clicking or squealing noises when the car engine is running.

Last edited by aussiblue; Yesterday at 08:02 PM.
Old Yesterday, 08:28 PM   #16
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Also humour me and double check the belt routing carefully as it is very easy to get it slightly wrong and it will look and feel right and while it will runm the tensioner won't work correctly.
Old Yesterday, 09:31 PM   #17
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Also humour me and double check the belt routing carefully as it is very easy to get it slightly wrong and it will look and feel right and while it will runm the tensioner won't work correctly.
Mate it is perfect, just checked it again lol

The old belt is gone but I put the old dayco tensioner back on to see if it will be tighter with the motocraft belt and it was tighter but not as tight as I'm seeing on videos. But still squeeking . Regarding the pulley they look to be the same size but the old waterpump is already gone to auto heaven so can't check exactly. It's a direct replacement isn't it ?

I'm thinking of getting the Dayco 6PK2220 kit with tensioner and idler puley since the old (Dayco) tensioner made the belt tighter. Maybe Dayco pulley wants a tight Dayco belt and tensioner ?

Really doing my head in this
2 users like this post:
Old Yesterday, 09:45 PM   #18
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Next time you have the bet off spin all the 6 pulleys by hand to see if they spin freely without squeaks. Perhaps you have worn bearing on a pulley that sticks and creates belt slack.