Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-07-2008, 12:55 AM   #1
Ronza

Default Fitting AU2 Brakes to a AU1 Ute

gday all now iv started to have a playy with many things on my AU's but what i gotts ask all you out there is does anyone know weather i can just remove the old AU1 brake callipers and fit Au2 /3 ones without modifications and if not does anyone know what is required im assuming the brake booster/mastercylinder is all fine and abs is not an issue as its not fitted to the AU1 ute and does not hitch up on the callipers anyway...

The reason i ask this is one of my rear callipers has Shat itself and seized but i have a few sets of series2/3 brakes sitting here not doing anything!!!

Any Help would be great cheers!!!

Ronza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 07:33 AM   #2
justa6
justa6

on the front you have to change to series 2 upright's and control arm as well. it get's done all the time. don't know about the rear
justa6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 08:51 AM   #3
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

start here.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=89164
Old 29-07-2008, 04:03 PM   #4
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

AU 2/3 calipers will fit on the rear - only other bit you need is new disc's, as the later model ones are thicker.
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 04:50 PM   #5
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

do you need the bigger brakes cos the bullbar is heavier and worth more than the rest of the ute?
Old 29-07-2008, 05:04 PM   #6
fordon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
do you need the bigger brakes cos the bullbar is heavier and worth more than the rest of the ute?
That's a bit mean
fordon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 08:11 PM   #7
Ronza

Thats a bit rough mate!!!
That bar cost me jack but is worth a lot more!!!
DO YOU KNOW WHAT THEY ARE WORTH???
No i do not need the brakes for that " VERY VERY " heavy alloy bull bar i have full sets of spare au2/3 brakes and wanted to update the rears and thought id ask on here to the members who wanna help and not make cracks at my ute..
i appreciate all the help to you who have givin me construtive feedback and i will attempt the rear conversion with the rear set i have off an au3 xr8 only thing i was most cocerned about was if the master cylinder could keep up the fluid to the double pistons instead of the single pot ones fitted???
Old 29-07-2008, 08:22 PM   #8
fordon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronza
Thats a bit rough mate!!!
That bar cost me jack but is worth a lot more!!!
DO YOU KNOW WHAT THEY ARE WORTH???
No i do not need the brakes for that " VERY VERY " heavy alloy bull bar i have full sets of spare au2/3 brakes and wanted to update the rears and thought id ask on here to the members who wanna help and not make cracks at my ute..
i appreciate all the help to you who have givin me construtive feedback and i will attempt the rear conversion with the rear set i have off an au3 xr8 only thing i was most cocerned about was if the master cylinder could keep up the fluid to the double pistons instead of the single pot ones fitted???
I like the look of your ute,
Bullbars can come in handy :

Just do a serch in au section thread,find heaps of advice that will help. :
fordon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 08:33 PM   #9
EvilChief
Boost Addict

ute looks all right

u need uprights, lower control arm, swaybar, swaybar mounts (D-bush mounts), rotors, pads, brakelines ... now thats from memory

ah yer plenty of topics on this forum about the upgrade
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 08:43 PM   #10
Ronza

Thanks heaps guys!!!
I have a couple of AU 3's at my dispose so have a few bits there ...
Old 29-07-2008, 09:07 PM   #11
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Im confused as to what you want to do now

Front AU2/3 Calipers on the rear of an AU1 ute? or a complete swap allround AU2/3 to AU1??
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 10:53 PM   #12
Night

I did my series 1 fairmont a few weeks ago. It's fairly straight forward and took me about 6 hours to do. Like evil chief said there is a few forums on this but basically you need front stub axles, lower control arms, sway bar and mounting brackets and I would recommend using series 2 or 3 brake lines. I did a BA front conversion and found that the BA lines were a bit stretched at full lock but did notice the series 2 line were a fraction longer. Everything bolts up easy but you will find when bolting the sway bar mounting bracket that there is no bolt holes on your chassis for the inner bolts but there is for the outer ones. What I did here was to use the outer ones and then drill a hole straight through the bracket and chassis (between the 2 bolts) and use a 100mm high tensile bolt.

I'm not sure how much braking performance your after but I found that with mine there was no massive improvement but I did use standard disks and pads. The brake pedal does get spongy but from what I've heard you can compensate a bit by using braided lines. The biggest difference I found was the brakes don't fade in heavy braking and I felt a lot more confident when braking hard but it didn't feel like it braked faster if you understand that. I would recommend it thou.

Try this thread, it's the one I started and pretty much explains everything and has pics too.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...+brake+upgrade
Night is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2008, 02:15 PM   #13
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night
Everything bolts up easy but you will find when bolting the sway bar mounting bracket that there is no bolt holes on your chassis for the inner bolts but there is for the outer ones. What I did here was to use the outer ones and then drill a hole straight through the bracket and chassis (between the 2 bolts) and use a 100mm high tensile bolt.
That's exactly what I did too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night
I'm not sure how much braking performance your after but I found that with mine there was no massive improvement but I did use standard disks and pads. The brake pedal does get spongy but from what I've heard you can compensate a bit by using braided lines. The biggest difference I found was the brakes don't fade in heavy braking and I felt a lot more confident when braking hard but it didn't feel like it braked faster if you understand that. I would recommend it thou.
Ditto here too - a little bit better braking, but definitely more fade resistance.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2008, 08:46 PM   #14
Ronza

thats cool ok im looking at changing rears 1st as iv had a rear calliper fail but after doing that im considering doing fronts also since iv got the bits at hand i like the sound of the 100mm bolts to make things easier cheers... everyone!!!