Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
steve.zissou
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default loose towbar?? bad or normal

Hi Guys,

Thought i'd check befor heading to a towbar place.

My ute has a 1600 kg flat towbar fitted and it was a bit loose (3 years and 160,000kms) so i went to tighten it and the front bold tightened up about 1 turn but the rear on wont budge (i have a habit of snapping bolts when tightening them, so i mean it really wont budge).

as a result there is about 4-5 mm between the flat bar and the bracket it bolts onto which causes a bit of movement. is this normal?
I have had a lot of max loads on it (1600kg) and i am worried that it may have either elongated the bolt (load are always ballanced) or the bold has undone itself a bit and then seized due to the movement.

I just cant remember if its been that way since day one

steve.zissou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 11:48 AM   #2
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 
Default Re: loose towbar?? bad or normal

4-5 mm is a lot of space, do not imagine that is normal. Can you undo the bolt to check it. give it a hit with some spray first and give it a few minutes to soak in.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #3
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

are the bolts that are currently in there the correct ones

movement is not normal and is a recipe for breakage........take the offending bolts out, spray them with a lubricant try to reinstall them, if no go then replace with the proper length

the bolts must be tight,.....if there is sufficient length to have substantial grip then perhaps shim out the excessive length with washers

or go to a shorter bolt

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Sounds to me they have vibrated loose and then rusted in place.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #5
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
very unusual if they have and a bit disconcerting if they can......I will now go and check mine!...Yikes!!!

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 01:11 PM   #6
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if the bolts go through a rail, often they have big washers or plates to help spread the load a bit, i would be checking for for correct fittment of bolts and washers(could be dodgey fitment from the start) ,or deformed panel from being over stressed for some reason.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #7
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah, i'd fill the gap with a spacer at least. you don't want any movement of the tongue.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #8
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

I'd be removing the tongue and cleaning both mating surfaces, making sure they are flat. Bugger filling any gap up with washers or anything else. It'd be a receipe for disaster.

Check the bolts aren't stripping out and put longer bolts with nuts on them, if necessary. Make sure they're HT bolts too.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 10:18 PM   #9
KRL-94

sounds like they have come loose over time, and rusted into place. i attempted to remove the 2 tounge bolts on a NA fairlane. and epicly failed. i used the correct size socket, the crack bar and i started with a 2ft pipe and worked my way to 6ft. still wouldnt move.
KRL-94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2012, 12:16 AM   #10
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

A good way to remove an old bolt is spraying it with WD 40, CRC or alikes and leaving it sit for a couple of hours.

Then before attempting to get it to budge, hit the head of the bolt a few times with a hammer. This helps break the rust seal that forms.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 04-02-2012, 12:19 AM   #11
KRL-94

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
A good way to remove an old bolt is spraying it with WD 40, CRC or alikes and leaving it sit for a couple of hours.

Then before attempting to get it to budge, hit the head of the bolt a few times with a hammer. This helps break the rust seal that forms.
might give it a go. will leaving it overnight be too long?

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11447916
Old 04-02-2012, 01:48 AM   #12
XARATE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Quality contribution which has gone somewhat un-noticed so far. 

The longer the better.

If you get to a point where you feel like your going to snap it organise some new bolts the drill a small hole (~3mm usually works) up the middle of the old stuck ones. It helps remove the tension holding it in. Remove the tow bar bracket and make sure everything is clean than reinstall using the new bolts.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:03 PM   #13
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by XARATE
The longer the better.

If you get to a point where you feel like your going to snap it organise some new bolts the drill a small hole (~3mm usually works) up the middle of the old stuck ones. It helps remove the tension holding it in. Remove the tow bar bracket and make sure everything is clean than reinstall using the new bolts.

Spot on.

Further more, once the bolt starts coming free, squirt some more lubricant down the thread hole and work the bolt up and down the thread. This also helps prevent it from stuffing the thread up and breaking the bolt.

Last edited by svo supporter; 04-02-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:16 AM   #14
KRL-94

still no luck. i have 4 spare ones anyway, so i think i'll just let it go to the wreckers.

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11447916
Old 06-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #15
steve.zissou
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
thanks guys

This is what i thinks happened (the front one was a bit loose but the back one is bloody tight).

I think i should just man up and get a HD towbar and if i can get the old one off and apart I'll throw it on ebay for what ever i can get.
steve.zissou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #16
KRL-94

you might have more luck with taking it to scrap steel

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound