Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-01-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
Legit290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default underinsured??? Better check

Hi all

I am getting my car repaired where a retread hit it while on a trip up to QLD

It is an Fpv gt identical to the one on your left and it is insured for MARKET VALUE

The market value on this car in the insurers is $23 grand....not enough to replace it if it was written off or stolen. Being a 2004 then when you get it repaired you will get second hand or reconditioned parts.

Who are you guys insured with? Are you sure if your car was written off tomorrow that the money paid out would replace it?

Clarkey

Legit290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 
Default Re: underinsured??? Better check

Most people around here would be overinsured, ie people with EF's that have them listed for $6k agreed or silly values like that
Old 18-01-2012, 02:40 PM   #3
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you have chosen a 'market' value policy as it's cheaper, you should change it to an agreed and pay a higher premium.
Every insurance company will opt for recycled parts once the vehicle is out of 'new car warranty'. You have no choice in what parts are used.
Single hump hard lid.
XR8 Bonnet
Colour coded mirrors.
Tint.
Reverse camera.
K&N.
More down the track...
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2012, 02:45 PM   #4
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

The way to go - is get an independant vehicle valuation.

Insurance companies accept them for agreed value policy.

A lot of people 'think' they are overinsured, but when it comes time to actually claim - they've mis-read their policy and the car is actually insured for 'market value' or they remember what it was insured for 3-4 years ago but haven't updated it...

Never be underinsured, because for the extra $100 or $200 you'll hate yourself when it comes time to claim...
Old 18-01-2012, 03:00 PM   #5
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Most people around here would be overinsured, ie people with EF's that have them listed for $6k agreed or silly values like that
More...

My EF is agreed value with GIO for $8,350, and even I know it is never going to be worth that again.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2012, 03:05 PM   #6
Legit290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just got a quote from Shannons for a shade over 2 grand to insure it for 30 grand.....it's a lot of money but 30 would replace it or be a good downpayment on a new blown one
Old 18-01-2012, 03:16 PM   #7
XARATE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Quality contribution which has gone somewhat un-noticed so far. 

Cost me (21 with full licence) $1250 a year to fully insure my 2005 ba mk2 6 speed manual XR8 with the agreed value of $24,000. Not bad really. Ps i have all my mods listed.
Old 18-01-2012, 03:20 PM   #8
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Yeah my AU wagon is insured for $6,200 or something like that and I only paid $3,500 for it, thing is that was the value I had to bump it up to otherwise my insurer wouldn't have given me a policy because it wasn't worth enough!

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #9
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Mine's new so I'm still in the 'replace for new' part of the insurance. But it is just insured for market value.

I remember some years ago a work collegue's car was written off and it was insured for market value. They tried to pay him out a certain amount but he could not replace his car with a similar one for that money. So he spoke to them and they agreed to pay him more so he could buy another car the same as his old one.
Old 18-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #10
Jack960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My 2007 xr6 is insured for 21k, I thought that was rather generous seeing as I only paid 15k for it.
Jack960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2012, 03:32 PM   #11
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

I would be stuffed as I am insured for agreed value however its not enough to pay out the loan owing on it.
Old 18-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #12
Legit290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XARATE
Cost me (21 with full licence) $1250 a year to fully insure my 2005 ba mk2 6 speed manual XR8 with the agreed value of $24,000. Not bad really. Ps i have all my mods listed.

that's pretty cool mate.
makes a difference when there aren't 4.6 million peopel in Tumut sharing your oxygen
that 2 grand quote is with a lifetime 60% no claim bonus too
Old 18-01-2012, 04:08 PM   #13
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm insured for agreed value that equals the amount of money I have spent on the car including purchase price. All I want in the case of a write-off is the money back that I spent on it, and that's what I'll get, so I'm content with that.
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2012, 04:11 PM   #14
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

EL is insured for about 6 grand and the AU about 7 or so, both market value. So yes i'm quite confident they could be replaced.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #15
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkey117
I just got a quote from Shannons for a shade over 2 grand to insure it for 30 grand.....it's a lot of money but 30 would replace it or be a good downpayment on a new blown one
Shop around. I've had all my cars with Shannons for years now, up to eight cars at once. Last month they sent me the premium renewal which increased by about 100% over the previous year.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #16
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPXR6T
Shop around. I've had all my cars with Shannons for years now, up to eight cars at once. Last month they sent me the premium renewal which increased by about 100% over the previous year.
Suncorp trying to reclaim back costs of paying all their claims from the QLD floods last year.
Old 18-01-2012, 04:53 PM   #17
graham_h
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agreed value with all modifications listed. its the only way in my opinion
graham_h is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2012, 04:53 PM   #18
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe
Suncorp trying to reclaim back costs of paying all their claims from the QLD floods last year.
Yep true.

Most people base insurance on price and when the insurance company does a quote peeople will take out the market value policy because it is cheaper.

Cheap insurance is not always the correct insurance you should have.
If you are concerned that your policy may not suit your needs, call different insurance co's and have a talk to them.

Ask for a PDS to be sent out, or look on the company webiste.

Ask qustions about what happens when you make a claim, does the premium increase with a claim, do you have a say in who repairs the car.

This may take some time, but if you do your research you will find the policy that will suit your needs.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #19
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

6 months ago when I bought my car I went for an agreed value of 33k. Just got my renewal in the mail and it has it down for 28k. How can they suddenly drop the agreed value by 5k in 6 months.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2012, 05:13 PM   #20
Legit290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i thought i went for agreed value too ben. Have a good look at your paperwork. When i did i realised i had only insured it for market value.

I would ring them before you renew with them
Old 18-01-2012, 05:17 PM   #21
f1tzy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can't remember if im market or agreed because i don't remember agreeing to anything but my feb 2010 fg turbo ute is worth 40k as a write off
f1tzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2012, 05:33 PM   #22
Legit290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i hassled people on the phone today and i am getting a brand new ba mk2 gt bar up from melbourne tomorrow instead of a plastic welded broken one...yay!
Old 18-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #23
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
6 months ago when I bought my car I went for an agreed value of 33k. Just got my renewal in the mail and it has it down for 28k. How can they suddenly drop the agreed value by 5k in 6 months.
The reason why it drops is the agreed value for most insurance comp's is still based on the market value at renewal time. Once a car hits 10 years old, watch good bye to the value on it.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2012, 11:18 PM   #24
IceValk85
MY2010 SV6 SIDI -Black-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe
I would be stuffed as I am insured for agreed value however its not enough to pay out the loan owing on it.
thats why its CRUCIAL to have GAP COVER on the loan itself.

market value and agreed dont really matter in this way, because the loan provider will cover the difference between the insured amount and the residual of the loan.

i have 15k of gap cover on my current loan, due to some rather poor trade decisions from the past...

Ice
IceValk85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2012, 12:33 AM   #25
jason71
google is my friend

Silly question, why are you using retreads?
jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2012, 12:52 AM   #26
Legit290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it came off a truck then got run over and flicked up by the car in front and i had nowhere to go,,,,

i haven't had retreads since i was on m P's and they were on the back for hooning

there are no silly questions Jase!!
Old 19-01-2012, 01:10 AM   #27
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's also vital to remember the little things, and to inform your insurance company about every single thing that your car has on it.

When we bought our G6E, it had been fitted...at the dealership...with the 19" wheels from the G6E Turbo, instead of the standard 17" wheels. I assume someone didn't want the very low profile 19's driving on the typically crap roads around central Queensland...we're going back to 17's when tyre time comes.
But anyway, we swapped out insurance over from the Landcruiser to the G6E, remembering the "non standard fitments" like the towbar and window tinting package, but a couple of months later I had a sudden thought about the wheels. I rang Allianze and asked them what wheels were listed as being fitted to our car, and she said "17 inch alloy factory wheels". I told her the dealer had fitted 19's instead, still factory wheels and optional for that model anyway, and she said that was good that I told them, and changed the wheels on our policy at no extra cost.
She said that if we hadn't, and something had happened they would only have been liable to cover us for the standard 17" wheels.
What got me thinking was a friend I work with who destroyed two 19" factory wheels on her new XR6 Turbo hitting a huge pothole on the highway in the rain, and was facing a massive bill to repair/replace them, covered by insurance luckily.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2012, 01:28 AM   #28
Legit290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks G6

i was thinking hard today when i was getting quotes.
At first i was just mentioning that it was tuned then i thought,,,hmmm,,,herrod quad , billet shifter and underdrives, cai and my mighty Helix spacer are all non standard inclusions
Old 19-01-2012, 08:19 AM   #29
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate that price from shannons seems a little high, I don't know the situation with driving history, address and claim history etc, but one thing I've found with shannons is a club member discount makes a big difference and so does multiple policy's, we have both our grocery getters insured with shannons, as well as the XP & 38 and the cost to insure the toys was so cheap you wouldn't not insure them (under $200 each) granted they're on limited use (2 drivers 4 cars let's face it the 2nd 2 don't see much use)

I'd give them a call back and go through a few things and see what happens

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2012, 09:59 AM   #30
Legit290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks Yeti
I would think their premium would drop if i moved all our vehicles and house and contents to them and their partners.
I will give it a try. My current insurance expires in October so i will renegotiate this one so i am covered in case of theft/accident till then.