Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-10-2011, 05:41 PM   #1
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Default ABS Module Replacement.. How to..?

Hey guys,
I need to replace my ABS module in the next few days.
Anybody have a 'how to' at all..?

Will I need to bleed the ABS system or do I just bleed from the calipers..?
Anything to look out for or be careful of while doing the swap..?

Any help is appreciated guys..

Cheers
Kris

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2011, 12:53 AM   #2
mongrelEF
Bugger!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always offers competent advice. Always willing to help out in person. Never negative towards another. Always respectful. Always offers viable suggestions for solutions. 
Default Re: ABS Module Replacement.. How to..?

When you bleed the ABS system, you will need to be able to electrically open each chamber of the ABS unit. You can't bleed it like normal brakes.
Those wires are not given in the diagrams on here and offhand i can't remember what they were - it's been a few years - so you will have to get out a voltmeter and experiment.....
Old 14-10-2011, 01:30 AM   #3
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

If youre just replacing the electronic part of the module, then you wont need to touch any part that involves the fluid.

Its highly unlikely that the mechanical part of the system is faulty, either that or youre very unlucky lol
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2011, 09:22 AM   #4
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Hi Kristo, I did mine last year and you don't need to touch the fluid side of the system, just unbolt the electronic side from the hydrolic side and unplug it. You'll have to unbolt your overflow bottle and move it aside then unbolt the whole ABS block from the inner guard. Then gently pull the ABS block sideways a bit to get access to the bolts holding the electronics on. It's a bit of a headache and I used a flexible screwdriver with interchangeable tips to get at all the bolts but it can be done. First time it took me about an hour to figure it out but after that I managed to do it in about 20 minutes.

Cheers
Bushbasher

PS. If your ABS is failing to read when you plug in to diagnostic unit it's a common weakness of this model ABS. Send it to Antony Pazin of Specialized Automotive Electronics in Parramatta and for $250 he'll pull it apart, fix it and mod it so it'll never fail again. It was cheaper for me to do that than buy a replacement ABS unit.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2011, 09:29 AM   #5
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Well i belive this ABS module is good. So, what you're saying is the electronic side is "easily" changeable and not to replace the whole lot.?
When removing the electronic side is there anything I need to look out for or is it as simple as unplugging, unbolting and replacing with the good one..?
No soldering or anything like that when replacing it..?

Thanks heaps guys..!!

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 14-10-2011, 09:32 AM   #6
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR1STO
Well i belive this ABS module is good. So, what you're saying is the electronic side is "easily" changeable and not to replace the whole lot.?
When removing the electronic side is there anything I need to look out for or is it as simple as unplugging, unbolting and replacing with tue good one..?
No soldering or anything like that when replacing it..?

Thanks heaps guys..!!
Yep, its as simple as unbolting & unplugging Just be gentle with the module & try not to get anything inside dirty. It is a bit fiddly, but like Bushbasher, i eventually got em stripped out of a wreck in 20mins or less.
Old 14-10-2011, 09:37 AM   #7
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Awesome..!!
Might give it a shot tonight I think..

Thanks again guys..!

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 14-10-2011, 09:41 AM   #8
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

No soldering or anything required. The only thing to be aware of is that when you separate the 2 halves there's spring loaded actuators that are attached to the electronic side that act on the hydrolics. These should be attached to the springs and not fall or fire out but if there's a loose one you'll have to try and retrive it if it drops and doesn't make it all the way to the ground. If you're going to send it away, tape over the actuators with a bit of cardboard so they don't go anywhere. When you put the replacement unit in, just make sure all the actuators line up on their appropriate holes and screw everything back together as you took it apart. It's nowhere near as scary a job as I first thought when I had to do mine. Just be careful not to bend the brake lines too much when you flex the block back to get at the screws. apart from that, it's pretty straight forward.

Cheers
Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Old 14-10-2011, 09:45 AM   #9
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Thanks bushbasher..
I have a complete ABS unit here so I will pull that apart first and see how it all works first..Then use the electronic part from that one in my car. I have to take the car somewhere on saturday, so, I guess the worst that could happen is that it still won't have ABS if I stuff it up..
It sounds fairly simple and I like to think my mechanical knowledge is up to scratch enough to do it..

Again, thanks.!

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 14-10-2011, 09:49 AM   #10
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Oh Kristo, you may already know this, but ensure your replacement ABS module is the TC one to suit high-end AUs

Base model & XR series modules dont have the TC bits in them.
Old 14-10-2011, 09:51 AM   #11
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Yep, it is mate.. It's from an AU Fairlane V8 which was equipped with TC..
I actually hadn't thought of that though..

Cheers mate.!

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 14-10-2011, 09:52 AM   #12
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Mate, you'd have to be a complete muppet to stuff it up even if you only have the most basic mechanical aptitude. Just take it steady and you'll be right. Once you pull it apart you'll be like, "is that all!, too easy" .

Bushbasher

MINE- AUII Forte

This user likes this post:
Old 14-10-2011, 09:59 AM   #13
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Hahaha..
Well, lets see if I'm a muppet...!!!

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This user likes this post:
Old 16-07-2020, 09:48 PM   #14
diceman01

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR1STO View Post
Hahaha..
Well, lets see if I'm a muppet...!!!
You will be fine, the earlier generation like on my VS SS use a soldered ribbon cable so you have to change the whole abs pump over.
VZ Monaro CV8 Phantom Black
diceman01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2020, 04:25 AM   #15
Venomous1
5.0 means business

necro bump? old thread from 2011?