Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-04-2023, 09:27 PM   #2431
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Car Detailing - What products are your go to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
A new brand has arrived in Australia via Car Care Co - DIY Detail

https://carcareco.com.au/product-category/diy-detail/

https://diydetail.com/

DIY Detail popped up in 2021 with a simplified range of products and the aim of making detailing easier to understand. Simple names, simple bottle designs, simple to use.

The DIY Detail brands is partially owned and headed by Yvan Lacroix and Nick McGurk. Lacriox is a industry leader in detailing education and business building, McGurk a detailer running his own Youtube channel.

From what I have learned, the products are made by a large chemical blender, one that doesn't sell products under its own name. In other words, they contract manufacture products for a variety of brands, modify the colours, scents and formulations to suit. My guess is that B&B Blending are the source, a company that manufacture products for Adam's and Obsessed Garage, among others.

According to those in the US who have been using these products over the last couple of years, the foaming rinse-less wash gets a lot of positive reviews, likewise Incredible Suds, Quick Beads and Ceramic Gloss.

I'm certainly up for trying the rinse-less and Incredible Suds, and of course I will want to try the tyre dressing as well.

Will be interesting to see how the brand does in Australia.
Well, I caved in and placed an order..............

For brands like this, I tend to ignore the generic workhorse chemicals like APC, glass cleaners, bug removers, tar removers, iron removers ect. Instead, I like to select the products that best differentiate the brand from its competitors or items that I will use the most.

Incredible Suds - this is a pH neutral soap that produces extremely thick foam, so much they actually revised the dilution rate since release. It seems to be a thicker soap, similar to Adam's Car Shampoo and has a blueberry fragrance. I also like how they made sure it works in a foam cannon and a bucket.
https://carcareco.com.au/product/diy...credible-suds/

Rinse-less Wash - another rinse-less product to add to my collection. This is a surfactant based product, similar to McKee's N-914 and Bowden's Dry Spell. Unlike those two, DIY Rinse-less can actually be foamed to increase the pre-soak dwell period. Apple scented.
https://carcareco.com.au/product/diy...inseless-wash/

Ceramic Gloss - a Si02 spray sealant or drying aid that can be used across all exterior surfaces, including glass and plastic trim. Gloss and slickness are the drawcards. Sweet fragrance.
https://carcareco.com.au/product/diy...ceramic-gloss/

Tire Dressing - I mean, I certainly didn't need this product, but I'm a slut for tyre dressings. Water based and able to achieve gloss if desired. Citrus scent.
https://carcareco.com.au/product/diy...tire-dressing/

Interior Clean & Protect -a interior quick detailer that can be used across all surfaces; plastics, leather, display screens. It offers UV protection and leaves a matte finish behind. Apple scented.
https://carcareco.com.au/product/diy...clean-protect/
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-04-2023, 11:46 PM   #2432
bfets

Quote:
Gotcha.

If you select the Gerni attachment, it will include what is required to adapt the MTM gun to the proprietary Gerni hose outlet.

You would then need two 1/4 Quick Connect plugs to adapt your current foam cannons. (I would also stick with MTM for this part, the generic Waxit ones are crap) -

https://detailingshed.com.au/product...qc-plug-1-4mpt

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...31708944793689

Other options -

MTM SG 35 - avoid, this one lacks the swivel function.

MTM Aqualine SGS 35 - avoid, too bulky/heavy and more expensive.

Mosmatic Original - this is very similar to the SGS 28, just more expensive.

Mosmatic OG Spec - the ultimate. Incrementally better than the SGS 28 and Mosmatic Original. The big benefits are the better quality quick connect fittings and the reduced bulk owing to the integrated swivel fitting. I run this gun and love it.

https://detailingshed.com.au/product...veling-sprayer

Awesome, thanks for the help. I would have accidentally bought 3/8 ones for the foam cannons never realising they are different top and bottom of the gun.
bfets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2023, 07:52 PM   #2433
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Firstly, foam cannons need less pressure than many think. I got excellent foam from a Karcher K2 which has an "advertised" 1750 psi and 6L/min.

A pressure washer that is pulsing usually means a leak somewhere along the line. The machine will detect a drop in pressure and then activates the pump to bring it back to pressure, the cycle then repeats.

It will be either the gun that is leaking past the seals, the hose or an internal failure. The fact it maintains pressure when running would probably rule out the pump, which is good because most Karchers are sealed pumps and not serviceable.

My Karcher, which is also 15 years old, was surging a bit here and there. Because the hose burst, I had to replace the gun/hose assembly in one unit, from then the surging stopped. So, you have done well to get 15 years out of the gun.

The foam cannon on the other hand should be serviceable. Check out this page for Bowden's specific information. I'm willing to bet it has an internal blockage or the mesh screen that creates the form needs a clean -

https://www.bowdensown.com.au/blog/s...ssembly-guide/

https://www.bowdensown.com.au/guides...me-extra-tips/

I hope that helps.
Pulled the snow cannon apart today and the agitator did have a small amount of build up on it. Cleaned it all up with some citrus cleaner and put it back together. Good chance that was all the issue was as it was showing signs of coming good by itself toward the end of the wash on Wednesday.

Rather than just test it straight away I decided to pull the karcher apart while I was in the mood for pulling things apart. Couldn't see anything obvious after opening it up so decided to dismantle it a bit more. Ended up spewing all the oil out... Whoops. A quick google suggests they use just motor oil so topped it back up and put it back together. I thought I'd managed to put it all back together as good as new but when I hooked the hose up it just leaked out from inside somewhere so I'm going to have to pull it apart again. Hopefully it's just an o'ring that needs replacing.

I'm hopeful I can fix it as I only recently bought the 10m extension hose and not sure it will fit the newer karcher models and if i change brands it won't fit either so really hoping the old karcher can be resurrected.
Old 22-04-2023, 08:02 PM   #2434
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Pulled the snow cannon apart today and the agitator did have a small amount of build up on it. Cleaned it all up with some citrus cleaner and put it back together. Good chance that was all the issue was as it was showing signs of coming good by itself toward the end of the wash on Wednesday.

Rather than just test it straight away I decided to pull the karcher apart while I was in the mood for pulling things apart. Couldn't see anything obvious after opening it up so decided to dismantle it a bit more. Ended up spewing all the oil out... Whoops. A quick google suggests they use just motor oil so topped it back up and put it back together. I thought I'd managed to put it all back together as good as new but when I hooked the hose up it just leaked out from inside somewhere so I'm going to have to pull it apart again. Hopefully it's just an o'ring that needs replacing.

I'm hopeful I can fix it as I only recently bought the 10m extension hose and not sure it will fit the newer karcher models and if i change brands it won't fit either so really hoping the old karcher can be resurrected.
What model Karcher?

You will most likely have unseated an o-ring, which despite being aged, it would have still been doing it's job, the movement would have disturbed it and caused it to fail.
Mustang GT

Old 22-04-2023, 08:14 PM   #2435
prydey
Rob

Quote:
What model Karcher?

You will most likely have unseated an o-ring, which despite being aged, it would have still been doing it's job, the movement would have disturbed it and caused it to fail.
Yeah that's my thinking. Having partially pulled it apart they are pretty basic inside.

Is a k2.180. When I bought the extension hose there were 2 types. One to suit the newer models and one to suit older ones from memory. I'll have to double check.

Like I said earlier, mine is about 15 years old.
Old 22-04-2023, 08:18 PM   #2436
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Yeah that's my thinking. Having partially pulled it apart they are pretty basic inside.

Is a k2.180. When I bought the extension hose there were 2 types. One to suit the newer models and one to suit older ones from memory. I'll have to double check.

Supercheap sell a seal kit for Karchers. Clearly, they don't want to sell this item as is it doesn't say what model it suits are even which seals they actually are -

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...it/628828.html

Karcher K2 1800 parts diagram -

https://spareparts.kaercher.com/shop...talog/02260000

As I mentioned yesterday, typically they are not serviceable, so I'm a bit surprised they offer a seal kit at all.
Mustang GT

Old 22-04-2023, 08:48 PM   #2437
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

Which extended hose did you have again? Just trying to figure out which fitting your machine and hose have.
Mustang GT

Old 22-04-2023, 11:00 PM   #2438
bfets

@DFB FGXR6, have you ever used the new NV stormfoam? I haven't tested mine out yet. I'm still using my Waxit original. The reason I got the second one is so I can have one dedicated to cleaning wheels and keep a permanent brake buster mix ready to go in it.
Old 22-04-2023, 11:15 PM   #2439
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfets View Post
@DFB FGXR6, have you ever used the new NV stormfoam? I haven't tested mine out yet. I'm still using my Waxit original. The reason I got the second one is so I can have one dedicated to cleaning wheels and keep a permanent brake buster mix ready to go in it.
I'm assuming this is the one -
https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...39998585471065

I run three foam cannons......................

I too have the original Waxit foam cannon, which I tend to dedicate to alkaline or acidic soaps so that I don't accidentally run the wrong soap across the car.

The MTM PF22.2 (latest bottle design) is what I use for general washing.

And I have the older PF22 (older, less stable bottle design) for Brake Buster. Again, the different bottle design helps reduce the risk of mistaken use.

So no, haven't used the newer Waxit foam cannon. The main advantage of the newer design is the more stable bottle with an easier to fill wide neck. If it were me, I would run the older cannon with Brake Buster, the newer one with soap.
Mustang GT

Old 22-04-2023, 11:15 PM   #2440
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Which extended hose did you have again? Just trying to figure out which fitting your machine and hose have.
https://www.kaercher.com/au/accessor...-26440190.html

This one. I think it's just screw in vs quick connect, so would likely still be compatible with later models, just with an adapter.
Old 22-04-2023, 11:22 PM   #2441
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
https://www.kaercher.com/au/accessor...-26440190.html

This one. I think it's just screw in vs quick connect, so would likely still be compatible with later models, just with an adapter.
That's kind of where I was going with that, if you end up needed to buy a new machine, that hose should be adaptable.
Mustang GT

Old 22-04-2023, 11:36 PM   #2442
bfets

Quote:
I'm assuming this is the one -

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...39998585471065

I run three foam cannons......................

I too have the original Waxit foam cannon, which I tend to dedicate to alkaline or acidic soaps so that I don't accidentally run the wrong soap across the car.

The MTM PF22.2 (latest bottle design) is what I use for general washing.

And I have the older PF22 (older, less stable bottle design) for Brake Buster. Again, the different bottle design helps reduce the risk of mistaken use.

So no, haven't used the newer Waxit foam cannon. The main advantage of the newer design is the more stable bottle with an easier to fill wide neck. If it were me, I would run the older cannon with Brake Buster, the newer one with soap.
Yeah that's the new foam storm one I have. I think that's exactly what I'll be doing. New one for washing, old one for brake buster.

Do you mix fresh every time and rinse all the cannons out everytime? Or do you keep a mix in the canon ready to go for next time? I'm just worried the chemicals will destroy the foam cannon over time if store it like that.
Old 22-04-2023, 11:44 PM   #2443
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfets View Post
Yeah that's the new foam storm one I have. I think that's exactly what I'll be doing. New one for washing, old one for brake buster.

Do you mix fresh every time and rinse all the cannons out everytime? Or do you keep a mix in the canon ready to go for next time? I'm just worried the chemicals will destroy the foam cannon over time if store it like that.
With Brake Buster, I use it at 100% in the cannon bottle. In theory, I really should be removing the chemical from the bottle and rinsing out the foam cannon.......................but I don't. You probably should though, Brake Buster is very harsh.

For soap, I once left the remainder of the mixture in the bottle, which is less of an issue compared to Brake Buster. However, I have got into the habit of emptying what's left from foaming the car into my wash bucket. This means I start fresh each time. There is some suggestion that the minerals in the water have the ability to reduce the foaming capability when left for an extended period.
Mustang GT

Old 23-04-2023, 03:53 PM   #2444
prydey
Rob

Quote:
. I thought I'd managed to put it all back together as good as new but when I hooked the hose up it just leaked out from inside somewhere so I'm going to have to pull it apart again. Hopefully it's just an o'ring that needs replacing.
It was just a split o ring on the outlet pipe. All fixed. Working fine again.

I've also ordered a new aerator from bowdens. I tested the cannon and initially it was still just watery bubbles but came good after holding the trigger in for 10sec or so. Not convinced it's as good as new so will just replace it.

They recommend flushing with straight water after each use so I'll get in the habit of doing that in the future.
Old 23-04-2023, 10:38 PM   #2445
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
It was just a split o ring on the outlet pipe. All fixed. Working fine again.

I've also ordered a new aerator from bowdens. I tested the cannon and initially it was still just watery bubbles but came good after holding the trigger in for 10sec or so. Not convinced it's as good as new so will just replace it.

They recommend flushing with straight water after each use so I'll get in the habit of doing that in the future.
That's good news, I was all prepared to be throwing recommendations for a new machine at you. Did you just use a standard garden tap o-ring or did you end up needing the seal kit?
Mustang GT

Old 23-04-2023, 11:09 PM   #2446
prydey
Rob

Quote:
That's good news, I was all prepared to be throwing recommendations for a new machine at you. Did you just use a standard garden tap o-ring or did you end up needing the seal kit?
Std garden hose O ring was too fat. Inside diameter was fine, just outside diameter too big. Managed to find one in amongst my stuff that fitted.
Old 24-04-2023, 02:00 PM   #2447
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

Jet delivery + day off = inevitable.

. .

BA RTV.
anobserver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-04-2023, 05:19 PM   #2448
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by anobserver View Post
Jet delivery + day off = inevitable.

. .
Pictures please!
Mustang GT

Old 24-04-2023, 08:27 PM   #2449
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

Quote:
Pictures please!
Round one already done!

Ran a clean microfibre cloth over the car to catch dust and lint.

Used some boss gloss and more cloths to remove any water marks to clean and prepare the surface.

The Jet came well packed in a padded box with the screw top and spray attachment separate. Removed the cap from the bottle and replaced with the spray nozzle.

The bottle lists curing time as 1-2 hours. We have showers passing through, so im giving it many hours than that before applying the next coat, then many more again to cure.

****apologies for multiple posts and large image - not sure why its done this ****

BA RTV.

Last edited by anobserver; 24-04-2023 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Link fix
Old 24-04-2023, 08:33 PM   #2450
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

Quote:
Pictures please!
Round one already done!

Ran a clean microfibre cloth over the car to catch dust and lint.

Used some boss gloss and more cloths to remove any water marks to clean and prepare the surface.

The Jet came well packed in a padded box with the screw top, and spray attachment separate. Removed the cap from the bottle and replaced with the spray nozzle.

The bottle lists curing time as 1-2 hours. We have showers passing through, so im giving it many hours than that before applying the next coat, then many more again to cure.

BA RTV.

Last edited by anobserver; 24-04-2023 at 08:50 PM.
Old 26-04-2023, 04:44 PM   #2451
prydey
Rob

Quote:

I like to promote companies that offer good customer care/service.

I emailed bowdens asking for a price and availability of the aerator. They emailed back today saying they'll send one out free of charge. Twice now they have provided that kind of service regarding their products. Well done Bowdens.
Old 26-04-2023, 05:20 PM   #2452
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
I like to promote companies that offer good customer care/service.

I emailed bowdens asking for a price and availability of the aerator. They emailed back today saying they'll send one out free of charge. Twice now they have provided that kind of service regarding their products. Well done Bowdens.
That's a great response.

Their website does not show spare parts for the foam cannon, so I wonder if they will send you the aerator or complete new foam cannon.
Mustang GT

Old 26-04-2023, 05:41 PM   #2453
prydey
Rob

Quote:
That's a great response.

Their website does not show spare parts for the foam cannon, so I wonder if they will send you the aerator or complete new foam cannon.
Just the aerator. When you look up the tutorial on the foam cannon service (you provided the link earlier) they provide an email specific to cannon service.

Good customer support.

I've tried a similar thing with breville (who I also happen to rate very high for customer service) but they don't provide parts that aren't already available separately, so it's good that bowdens stand by their product like that.
Old 30-04-2023, 05:56 PM   #2454
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

Quote:
Pictures please!
First chance for a decent drive since we got the car....

and it rains, of course.

After another wash, i was interested to see how the water beads. These are after hosing off.

Not sure if this is typical or not. Theres are at least 3 coats of jet on there now.

BA RTV.

Last edited by anobserver; 30-04-2023 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Link fix
3 users like this post:
Old 30-04-2023, 06:43 PM   #2455
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by anobserver View Post
First chance for a decent drive since we got the car....

and it rains, of course.

After another wash, i was interested to see how the water beads. These are after hosing off.

Not sure if this is typical or not. Theres are at least 3 coats of jet on there now.
Looking good.

You can then hit the car with a blower and most of the water will shoot off the car.
Mustang GT

Old 02-05-2023, 09:09 PM   #2456
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

After washing the Mustang this morning, it gave me a chance to finally try a product that had been sitting in the cabinet unused for a couple of months.

This bottle of Koch Chemie S0.02 was part of a giveaway prize, and for whatever reason, I didn't have an urgency to use it. And boy, was I missing out!

https://www.detailstore.com.au/produ...475405ed&_ss=r
https://autobuff.com.au/collections/...-sealant-s0-02
https://detailingshed.com.au/product...24ec29d3&_ss=r

S0.02 is a ceramic spray sealant, one that is known for it's high-gloss finish and is claimed to give the paint a "velvety surface and a clearly visible colour deepening". The lack of information provided by Koch Chemie on S0.02 really does this product a disservice, as this is one of the best spray sealants I have ever used!

What a fantastic product! I had no solid expectations for this product, mainly because of the lack of information, but this would have to be the easiest spray sealant I have applied. A little goes a long way, not because it becomes streaky, but because it simply spreads so easily. One to two sprays per panel is all that is needed, the surface instantly becoming "velvety" slick. I applied this with two FTW towels, the dry second towel was largely not required. The scent is similar to their interior products, mild and not overly sweet. S0.02 produced so much slickness that I had issues putting the car cover on after the detail!

Application is easier than either NV Lustre or Jet, is slicker than OG Drying Aid and requires far less product per vehicle than Bead Maker. It will be interesting to see if S0.02 is as hydrophobic as NV Jet.

There is no other way for me to put this, just BUY SOME! Yes, it's expensive, but as mentioned, a 500ml bottle will go a very long way. S0.02 is probably one of the most surprising products I have used in a long time.
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 02-05-2023, 09:48 PM   #2457
prydey
Rob

Does it go on over top of any coating already on the car or do you have to do a strip wash first?
Old 02-05-2023, 09:57 PM   #2458
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Does it go on over top of any coating already on the car or do you have to do a strip wash first?
I laid it over whatever was on the paint from the last detail, which is goodness knows what at this point!

This is the Koch Chemie product description/instructions.......

"Efficient sealing spray for a quick and easy achievement of a high-gloss surface. Gives the paint a velvety surface and a clearly visible colour deepening. The sealing components create a perfect water beading effect.

Areas of use -
Painted surfaces on cars, commercial vehicles, motorcycles etc.

Recommendations for use -
Spray one to two sprays onto the cleaned and dry paint surfaces. Do this component by component and divide large surfaces such as the bonnet and roof. After a brief evaporation time, polish off all residues with a clean microfiber cloth. Do not allow it to dry. The treated vehicle must not be washed with chemicals on the same day.

Warnings -
Shake before using. Before using, check suitability and compatibility. Protect against frost and excessive heat. Safety data sheet available on request for trade users.

Notice -
This product information can advise you only without obligation. Liability on our part can not be derived. Please, check whether the product is suitable for your application. We will be pleased to assist you."

A lot of gobbledygook to me! No information on prep other than washing, no longevity claims, no compatibility information.
Mustang GT

Old 02-05-2023, 10:04 PM   #2459
prydey
Rob

Quote:
I did my territory with lustre and jet combo in early July last year. It's a daily driver and also did a trip to Brisbane and back at xmas. I wash it with NV snow, however have washed it once or twice with Reset.

Water still beads although not as good as when it was first done but still good enough to show there is a coating still working. I've been really impressed with how long it's lasted.

Perhaps there is an extra chemical reaction when lustre and jet are used as a combo??

Territory isn't pampered either, often going weeks between washes.
Further to the longevity of Lustre + Jet...

Out and about this morning and a passing shower went over.

To add some detail, the car is filthy. Hasn't been washed for a few weeks now. The beading is still quite good so I snapped a pic.

Not a bad advt for the longevity of these products.

I do spray my drying towel with a bit of boss gloss, but not enough to act as a coating.
Old 03-05-2023, 01:09 PM   #2460
bfets

@DFB FGXR6 what do you think of Gyeon Wet Coat? I've been given a bottle to try. Haven't had time to use it yet but might give it a go on the weekend