Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-12-2015, 12:41 AM   #2221
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Default Re: New to cycling

I was a bit worried, reading a couple of reviews on the seat you ordered, but since you have a bit of size, I was hoping maybe it'd work for you.

A lot of research has gone into the shape and construction of the torture contraptions you're trying to avoid. I don't think your bones would be any different to the next bloke, and that is what the saddles are designed to support.

Another thing to look at is the clothing you're wearing. You don't want friction between your skin/underwear/shorts etc, which is why lycra is more than popular!

I just had a couple of weeks off riding after dropping some steel on my foot, and found my seat made me a little sore after an hour, but I know more riding will get my backside acclimatised to it.
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2015, 01:37 AM   #2222
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
Don't be fooled into thinking that a bigger saddle (the correct bike term for the seat) gives more comfort. It doesn't. Bigger saddles just rub in more places.
yep , maybe its just me, my shape and weight has changed a bit since my earlier youthful biking days , its hard to find that happy medium.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2015, 01:11 PM   #2223
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
I was a bit worried, reading a couple of reviews on the seat you ordered, but since you have a bit of size, I was hoping maybe it'd work for you.

A lot of research has gone into the shape and construction of the torture contraptions you're trying to avoid. I don't think your bones would be any different to the next bloke, and that is what the saddles are designed to support.

Another thing to look at is the clothing you're wearing. You don't want friction between your skin/underwear/shorts etc, which is why lycra is more than popular!

I just had a couple of weeks off riding after dropping some steel on my foot, and found my seat made me a little sore after an hour, but I know more riding will get my backside acclimatised to it.
Thanks Swanny, maybe im just soft :(, its a pain in the *** literally changing different saddles, every time i change apart from the normal issues,

it effects the the weight on the shoulders and hands, the last saddle change 5 minutes into the ride i was getting pins and needles in the hands, maybe ill just have go back to the best so far and tuffen up a bit.
for a bit more padding i wear shorts under the tracky dacks, i dont think i could see my fat carcass in lycra , but i get your drift , at least im getting an interesting collection of bike seats .
Old 18-12-2015, 01:34 PM   #2224
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I've heard good things about the Azzurri Forza: $2500 and you've got yourself a carbon frame with full Ultegra electronic Di2 groupset. I was looking at one myself but I was offered a Giant TCR Advanced TDF with the Ultegra Di2 and carbon frame for only a little more than the Forza, so ultimately went for that.

I do hear good things about the Forza. Basically all the components are made up of off the shelf and reputable brands, the frame being the only "no name" component, and even then, most reviews say it is a great bike for the price!
I have a 2014 Forza Elite which I paid $1250 for it with full 105 (5700) groupset a few years back. Was my prime bike until I broke it (my own stupid fault). but I have since repaired it and it's now my "b" bike.
It's fantastic frame, really comfortable geometry and quite responsive in its handling. I really like it...... However - there is no comparison when I jump between it and the TCR Adv I have.

If you are just recreation riding I would fully recommend it. as for Di2, it s great, but it does have its draw backs. To be honest for the average rider there is no need for it, its one of those "nice to haves". The current version 105 Groupset (5800) is fantastic, shifting is easy and the brakes are top notch, my only recommendation would be ditch the Shimano rim killer pads for koolstops or Swissstops.
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2015, 05:33 PM   #2225
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
, i dont think i could see my fat carcass in lycra , .
You can get mountain bike shorts which have a pad in them, but look like shorts on the outside.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2015, 06:59 PM   #2226
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like the sound of those Prydey, I might have a look at them...... Thank you.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
Old 18-12-2015, 07:15 PM   #2227
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

There's a couple of good brands out there Ground Effects (NZ), Netti are good quality without the price but you can go for dearer options like Fox, Pearl Izumi etc.
Even the Aldi's ones are quite comfortable when they come up for sale.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2015, 07:19 PM   #2228
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:

This is what you want.
http://www.abcoutlets.com.au/shop/ca...tb__shy_shorts

If you can get to their store in bridge Rd Richmond (near punt Rd) before the 24th they have a few in stock going for $15-20 per pair.

Last edited by GTpilot; 18-12-2015 at 07:31 PM.
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2015, 08:41 PM   #2229
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks GTpilot, I will definitely have a look at those.

Old 19-12-2015, 11:35 AM   #2230
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

meh.....get out there and embrace the lycra. Be the superhero you always dreamed of being

I remember when I first started and thought I'd never get into lycra and always wore the baggy shorts over. But now it's like a uniform. When on the bike it's the ONLY thing worth wearing.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 19-12-2015, 01:15 PM   #2231
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
meh.....get out there and embrace the lycra. Be the superhero you always dreamed of being

I remember when I first started and thought I'd never get into lycra and always wore the baggy shorts over. But now it's like a uniform. When on the bike it's the ONLY thing worth wearing.
I hear ya. Might look silly on , but I wouldn't trade it for anything else on the bike
Batmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-12-2015, 01:31 PM   #2232
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post

I am note sure about others , but I had two hurdles - 1 . The Lycra and 2. Shaving the Legs . The Lycra was easy , but I put off the legs for a long while . I remember at time , many recommending not to shave but instead to have them waxed . So , after thinking I am in for the long haul off I trotted to get my legs waxed .
The young lady took at look and nodded to herself this is going to ****dy hurt . She thought I get this poor guy to lie on his tummy so he get see the strips being pulled off . Well after yanking the first two strips , it was clear the hair on my legs needed to be trimmed .
After she finished I swore my legs had been set alight with a flame thrower. There was no relief from the heat generated from both the wax and tearing action . So in desperation we coated each leg with a thick coating of an inflammation cream . It helped , but I had to coat the legs for a week , and worn my skins after my work pants as the heat was uncomfortable .
Today , I shave them , and after the 3 waxing session I promised I wont be back any time soon
Agree the waxing provides you with a better finish and the results do last longer , but I couldn't get over the heat the wax generated .
Old 19-12-2015, 02:11 PM   #2233
roKWiz
Cabover nut

I've gone full circle on the bike clothing.
I use to buy all the name branded Polartec tops I could find particularly Cannondale ones and swore I could never wear anything less that 8oz 8 panel Lycra nicks of their brand. I couldn't go out the door without my Pearly gloves, Carnac shoes, Camelback hydration bladder, Giro helmet and Briko glasses. Well over $1500 worth of garb riding a $5000+ bike in 1990's dollars.
now I'm happy riding in shorts and a T as long as its under 30Km distance.
The seats another personally thing, everyone has their own opinion on. I searched out Flite, Speed defies gravity (SDG) and Full speed ahead (FSA) (note they're all mountain bike parts companies) These were great for a time but just recently I tried a couple of Aldi's saddles (Yes Aldi's) $20 each and found them on par with the expensive stuff. Turns out they're Selle Italia made anyway. All my bikes have them now.
Point to the story is...
It doesn't matter what bike your on or the clothes your wearing just get out and enjoy riding your bike fast or slow.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2015, 01:41 AM   #2234
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmobile View Post
I am note sure about others , but I had two hurdles - 1 . The Lycra and 2. Shaving the Legs .......
I have to ask... why shaving? My boss has been riding for years, but not much lately, and shaves his legs - he reckons if you come off and get an abrasion, having shaved legs will prevent infection. (BS, I think)

Another bloke I met, he was training with his son, who was riding professionally until he tested positive to something in some Tour of China, he said, "It just feels nice".

I haven't shaved south of my neck, and haven't seen the need, as I can't see how it will improve my riding. Is there something I'm missing?
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
Old 20-12-2015, 09:00 AM   #2235
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

People shave simply to fit in and they like the look. Nothing more.
They will give you 100 bs reasons why they do it, but the fact is they do it because other guys in the bunch do it and they want to be part of the tribe.
Do it if it pleases you but don't spin the bs about why you need to do it.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2015, 11:22 AM   #2236
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I shave because my legs are patchy enough WITH hair as it is. I look like a flamin hobbit on one side and a bald eagle on the other if the hair gets long enough. Shaving is a personal choice. My mate who looks like a gorrilla hair wise refuses to shave, and it makes no difference to his riding or whatever.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
2 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2015, 11:31 AM   #2237
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
People shave simply to fit in and they like the look. Nothing more.
They will give you 100 bs reasons why they do it, but the fact is they do it because other guys in the bunch do it and they want to be part of the tribe.
Do it if it pleases you but don't spin the bs about why you need to do it.
Personal choice , I certainly don't....
There are a number of reasons that at the elite level you may consider, the most valid with some merit would be post activity recovery massage and better ability to treat large wounds after a fall and slide.
http://www.bicycling.com/training/fi...ave-their-legs

Most other reasons are more akin to black magic....lol.
All that is needed is some hairy bugger to win the tour to re set the trend.
After all , cycling is 25% fitness , 25% lifestyle and 50% Show off.......

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2015, 09:12 PM   #2238
Danny
GT4.

So partly because of the line of discussion here, and partly because of some mates doing it, I shaved them today with my beard trimmer :

No BS, I do like being able to see veins and muscles in my legs that I have never seen before. I'm still young so I can get away with it, and I will feel ultra cool on the road (pun maybe, could go either way).

I'm already looking forward to saving a few minutes off my PB's!!!
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2015, 09:14 PM   #2239
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
Personal choice , I certainly don't....
There are a number of reasons that at the elite level you may consider, the most valid with some merit would be post activity recovery massage and better ability to treat large wounds after a fall and slide.
http://www.bicycling.com/training/fi...ave-their-legs

Most other reasons are more akin to black magic....lol.
All that is needed is some hairy bugger to win the tour to re set the trend.
After all , cycling is 25% fitness , 25% lifestyle and 50% Show off.......
I have come off quite a few times , and agree , a fall with no hair , appears to cause less damage as the lack of hair results , in hair aiding in gripping and thus causing a large wound . Also without the hair i find its easier to grit your teeth whilst the adrenaline is up and scrub away at the wound before dressing
It's a personal thing , I like the look and feel , especially in summer when it's easier to apply the sun lotion .
I ve ridden for too long to know , whether you ride with others who shave or not, it makes no difference - if they ve done the miles , they will kick your ***.
You can ride the brands , look like a pro , yet if you don't do the work , you will get dropped
Cycling is one of those sports that doesn't allow you to bank the work your have previously done , it helps a little, but at the end , those who do the work reap the rewards
Old 20-12-2015, 09:24 PM   #2240
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On a sober note ... I was very fortunate this morning to get an invite to do a group ride with a local group who do not take themselves too serious .It was to honor a rider who took his life due to depression . The ride was to the Eureka Tower in Southbank Melb where we got to the 88th Floor and enjoy the view prior the Tower being opened to the public (Coffee and cake as well). A collection was arranged for a donation to Beyond Blue . (The talk amongst those there was that they collected over $500).
Nice way to start the day . The morning was enjoyed by all hair and no hair cyclist in for a very good cause..
6 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2015, 09:33 PM   #2241
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have to ask... why shaving? My boss has been riding for years, but not much lately, and shaves his legs - he reckons if you come off and get an abrasion, having shaved legs will prevent infection. (BS, I think)

Another bloke I met, he was training with his son, who was riding professionally until he tested positive to something in some Tour of China, he said, "It just feels nice".

I haven't shaved south of my neck, and haven't seen the need, as I can't see how it will improve my riding. Is there something I'm missing?
No you haven't missed a thing . As i think back to my own experience , I rode with riders who all shaved . The group had a mixture of past professionals , current professionals and us wannabe ..
As you start to move in circles , you tend to find when cyclist starts , they re very much guided by those within in the group .
I guess with the professionals in the televised tours shaving , set the tone for all others to follow.
If you are having to justify to others within the group as to why you shave or don't , you are riding with the wrong group.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2015, 09:23 AM   #2242
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I shave mine, because I basically have "hair pants" from the waist down it's nuts.

I like the look, they feel cooler (heat wise) and Just personally feel better with them done.

Couldn't give AF if someone thinks I'm just trying to fit in.
Old 21-12-2015, 02:03 PM   #2243
Danny
GT4.

Mixed reviews at work

I'm a little bit itchy though as I took it upon myself to shave all the way up... I'm sure that will subside though! Went for a ride this morning and there was absolutely no difference, apart from the fact I know everyone was checkin out me pinz
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2015, 03:35 PM   #2244
blueoval
Critical Thinker

If it gets the ladies mirin, then not all was lost.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 21-12-2015, 10:13 PM   #2245
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
You can get mountain bike shorts which have a pad in them, but look like shorts on the outside.
I recently bought some of these, and they are by far my favourite mountain bike apparel. They feel weird when you are walking around, but awesome on the bike. The "chamois" comes attached inside the shorts, but you can cut them off and use them separately.

Quote:

LOL how often does your boss come off to see that as an issue? I have been riding jump bikes, downhill, x country and even a little road riding over the past 12 years and have only come off a handful of times(usually on jumps or technical tracks I get too cocky on).
I have never gotten an infection yet. It's not too hard to avoid if you look after the abrasion. I have never shaved my legs and never will, for riding at least.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2015, 11:03 PM   #2246
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Mixed reviews at work

I'm a little bit itchy though as I took it upon myself to shave all the way up
All the way up
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2015, 12:19 AM   #2247
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post

LOL how often does your boss come off to see that as an issue?....

I had to give him a bit of grief when he came off earlier this year and broke his collarbone... didn't help him then!

I might keep my flowing locks for now.
Old 22-12-2015, 05:45 PM   #2248
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Agree . I have tried the cycling shorts . They dont look out of place off the bike and especially when with others - non cyclists you dont feel so consciousness,however on the mountain bike especially tackling those narrely steep drops or repeating short drops and raises i always found i got my shorts caught coming back on to the saddle .
No i just wear them . I stayed with the bib shorts .
Old 23-12-2015, 10:45 AM   #2249
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Yeah the bib shorts are the go. One of the experienced guys I ride with was wearing Rapha and they looked to fit so good and the chamois looked solid etc. so I gave them a try, at about $200 for the bib shorts they are not cheap. But my bum thanks me for getting them on every long ride.
2 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2015, 11:35 AM   #2250
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
Yeah the bib shorts are the go. One of the experienced guys I ride with was wearing Rapha and they looked to fit so good and the chamois looked solid etc. so I gave them a try, at about $200 for the bib shorts they are not cheap. But my bum thanks me for getting them on every long ride.
For mountain biking riding I do tend to find a cheaper bib short , as often on tight single tracks they can get torn caught on branches or coming off on sandy pebble tracks . However, I agree , the Rapha or Assos bib shorts are costly , but on long road rides your bum says thank you .. I also feel, whether its how they feel or whether they in fact have some compression value , you tend not to fatigue as quickly with the higher quality shorts.
Another point which is so important on long road rides , quality bib shorts , once on don't lose their shape and that is super important , especially if you get caught in the rain .