Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 23-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #181
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Major Ford announcement

I think Toyota will be next. They make a loss on every Camry they sell, and only make money on the Aurions (which arnt selling)
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 23-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #182
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
Not the first company to close down , sadly probably wont be the last, no one will continue banging their head against the wall trying to make a dollar when the they can import cars cheaper, i just heard on the radio over period x ford oz lost 600 million dollars, the next question is will holden or toyota be next?
You're right, they ain't the first nor will they be the last. The difference here is that it has set the stage for and put in motion, the closure of Holden's manufacturing then Toyota's.
Old 23-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #183
anto
Za Dom spremni

As others have said, its clear the fix was in a long time ago....This sux the biggest of big ones. I'm 40 and only ever bought falcons all my life writhe last being a new FG and will buy one last one before the end...I sure as hell won't be buying any other ford model.
Now all you closet vf fans can buy guilt free...
AU III XR8 red ute
This user likes this post:
Old 23-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #184
.FoMoCo.

Totally devastated.
Old 23-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #185
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
Not the first company to close down , sadly probably wont be the last, no one will continue banging their head against the wall trying to make a dollar when the they can import cars cheaper, i just heard on the radio over period x ford oz lost 600 million dollars, the next question is will holden or toyota be next?
Of course they will be next
Old 23-05-2013, 12:21 PM   #186
GT-spec15

Quote:
Originally Posted by anto View Post
I sure as hell won't be buying any other ford model.
Why not?

By buying a Mondeo/Focus/other car you are still supporting an Aussie dealer network, Aussie sales/marketing jobs etc etc etc.
Old 23-05-2013, 12:21 PM   #187
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2017 Commodore VJ confirmed .....do you believe that?

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 23-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #188
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeman View Post
2017 Commodore VJ confirmed .....do you believe that?
Things can change over time. Remember Ford was supposed to axe the engine plant in 2010? Same with Holden.
Old 23-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #189
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham7773 View Post
Can't blame Ford, $600.000.000 lost in the last 5 years, $141.000.000 lost last year alone.
True Blue
Sobering figures aren't they?

Still, most countries with a population as tiny as ours know it's not sustainable to make their own cars, so sensibly they look to the world and pick and choose the best cars to have in their country and do quite well.
Old 23-05-2013, 12:23 PM   #190
Saveme2Jebus
Starter Motor

It aint' over till the fat lady sings and that more than 3 years away. Seems like an incredibly long term announcement for a business. The 2014 updates are still happening too... Surely that means the decision is not final? It's so sad, I love my Territory, It's rear wheel drive it's fantastic on a long country drive and every time I drive anything else (hire car etc) I am reminded just how good my Territory is. I won't be buying anything other than Australian, if they stop making them I'll just stay with what I have for good or buy second hand.
4 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #191
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
As others have said, its clear the fix was in a long time ago....This sux the biggest of big ones. I'm 40 and only ever bought falcons all my life writhe last being a new FG and will buy one last one before the end...I sure as hell won't be buying any other ford model.
Now all you closet vf fans can buy guilt free...
Depreciation.....would you now buy the last series?

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 23-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #192
anto
Za Dom spremni

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-spec15 View Post
Why not?

By buying a Mondeo/Focus/other car you are still supporting an Aussie dealer network, Aussie sales/marketing jobs etc etc etc.
Because I don't care for a mondeo/focus. You could apply that sales logic to any local dealer..
AU III XR8 red ute
Old 23-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #193
PHawk
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My GT has a secure place in my garage!!
FG GT-P 315 6A
FG F6 310 6A
HSV Maloo LS3 6M
GT 335 6A
300 SRT8 Hemi 6.4
PX Ranger XLT
Commodore SS-V Redline LS3
2017 Triumph Speed Triple R
Triumph Street Triple RX
Old 23-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #194
GT-spec15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saveme2Jebus View Post
It aint' over till the fat lady sings and that more than 3 years away. Seems like an incredibly long term announcement for a business. The 2014 updates are still happening too... Surely that means the decision is not final?
Incorrect.

It's a very long lead time, which is actually good for workers as it gives them time to make alternative arrangements. Far better than a shock 'overnight' announcement.

That said, Ford will be using the next few years to work towards a 'sales only' business in Australia. That doesn't happen overnight.
Old 23-05-2013, 12:26 PM   #195
Perun
SSith Lord

You know it's coming, you expect it, but it still hits you like a ton of bricks.
4 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #196
GT-spec15

Quote:
Because I don't care for a mondeo/focus. You could apply that sales logic to any local dealer..
You're only 40 so I would suggest you have decades of driving left.

You're going to need to adapt, or put up with a very old FG!!
Old 23-05-2013, 12:30 PM   #197
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder what I'd get for my 09 XR6 as a trade on a Kuga now?

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 23-05-2013, 12:30 PM   #198
Sinead Phipps

Dear forum members, as many of you know, we’ve been evaluating alternatives for our business for some time and we’ve promised to share news as soon as any decision was finalised. This morning we are making an announcement regarding the future of local manufacturing. After a long review process, and due to increasingly challenging market conditions, we’ve made the difficult decision to close our local manufacturing facilities three years from now in October 2016. During the next three years, our plan is to continue to manufacture Falcon & Territory, keeping our commitment to deliver refreshed versions of these vehicles in 2014. This is not the decision any of us wanted, however to become a viable company that will allow us to continue to service our Australian customers, this transformation is necessary. As you can imagine, our main priority is to look after our manufacturing co-workers as well as others impacted by today’s news.
While we can’t provide you with too much detail, we also wanted to share with you, that we’ll be introducing several exciting new nameplates by 2016, increasing our portfolio by 30%.
Naturally, we’ll continue to offer parts and service support for Falcon and Territory vehicles well into the future and more detail can be found in our media release.
We want to thank you for your advocacy and the support and loyalty you’ve shown to the blue oval. While the way we are structured is changing, our commitment to Australia is strong. We’ve been a part of Australia for more than 100 years, and we’ll continue to be here for a long time to come.

To read our full announcement click here www.ford.com.au/about/newsroom
Old 23-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #199
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Will we get a performance replacement when the Iconic Falcon GT is no longer being manufactured?
Old 23-05-2013, 12:33 PM   #200
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We all knew it was coming..now the coupe de grace has been delivered. Lets hope the FH goes out on a major bang....
Sinead said "Increasing our portfolio by 30 %" does this translate as Taurus, Mustang, Fusion, Explorer ????
Old 23-05-2013, 12:33 PM   #201
hawkgirl
Aluminum Falcon pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinead Phipps View Post
. While the way we are structured is changing, our commitment to Australia is strong. We’ve been a part of Australia for more than 100 years, and we’ll continue to be here for a long time to come.

really looks that way too...NOT.

The Fleet
2002 Kawasaki ZZR600 - Silver - Felix
1975 Fairlane ZG - Apollo Blue - Oberon
1999 Falcon AU Ute - Liquid Silver - The Aluminum Falcon - the Preciousss
2000 AUII Fairlane Ghia (vct)- Burgundy - Five / RedCar - round town clown
Old 23-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #202
samos

it is indeed a sad day for ford aus, ford, and aus, if you know what i mean.... damn the fomoco execs for denying the local arm from exporting - heck even the lpi tech could be modified for the us's recent relish for running large engines on cng...

i'm going to continue to enjoy my territory as one of the best cars that this country has ever built... and i switched over to ford for this car, from a strong family history of holdens (rellies even worked there)... my i6 is going to last a lot longer than ford manufacturing here by the looks of things - i guess, as they say, A-grade product with b-grade marketing will always lose out to those who are the other-way-round...

if ford-au decide to continue building other cars here, then good on them, maybe territory on ranger-chassis? maybe the smaller cars for all au-side driving countries? (ala toyota)

on a side note, this must really spook the holden guys with vf production ramping up now.... maybe it will seal the fate of the manufacturing of the commodore/ss to overseas? who knows...

it seems while watching the live stream on smh, about half of the 3100 ford staff will remain, while about 1200-odd total in manufacturing are going.... i wonder if ford will offer overseas transfers to any of the manufacturing guys, to whatever country that manufacturs the vehicles that ford will now import?

and geez, the loss of the manufacturing means that the engineering folks are going to have a harder time dealing with 100% overseas manufacturing.... no instant feedback from 'the floor'
Old 23-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #203
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-spec15 View Post
You would be in the minority.

It was a stupid product that delayed their foray into fuel efficient technologies.

You might say producing the F6X demonstrated that Ford's business model and direction was doomed to fail.
Happy to be in the minority and not be a sheep, anyway its was FPV's decision, not Fords back then, had nothing to do with Ford not doing a more efficient Terry
SOLD : BA XR8 4 Speed Auto in Mercury Silver, Bluepower CIA, Full Diffilipo Big Boy Quad System, Tune, 4.11 Diff Gears, FPV Starter Button, FPV GT Rear Spoiler, Tripod Gauges, PWR Trans Cooler. 230 RWKW's. Many thanks to Chris at Bluepower Racing Developments

Hers : F6X build #150 in Ego, Stock as a Rock, untill the warranty runs out, including the extended one.

My Work Wagon AU Futura Wagon in Gold.

On the Farm : Ford 6600 Tractor

Last edited by EASYBOSS; 23-05-2013 at 12:41 PM.
9 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #204
TerritoryTurbo

Yeah a very sad day.

I just saw on this news article however that the R&D dept is going keep a presence here (for now):

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-05-2...cement/4707960

Not sure about anyone else, but I'm reading between the lines and it may mean that although the cars aren't built here, they may be assembled overseas and shipped to us? Doesn't make much sense, but the Falcon and Territory may still be built, just not here in Australia...

Seems Geelong and Broadmeadows may become the next Detroit... :(

Anyway, it's still 3 years away, lets hope we have some reprieve before then. Time will tell.
Old 23-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #205
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

I have empathy for ford employees.
I have fear for the domino effect in this country and across the sector.

Long live that damn i6!!!!!!

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
6 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #206
D Block

Sad day for FORD and engineering sector of manufacturing. Funny to see the Worlds Greatest Treasurer this morning pushing states to sign up for Gonski "to give our kids a future". Obviously it wont be a future in engineering manufacturing.
Old 23-05-2013, 12:36 PM   #207
Mighty Reds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is the next model Mustang a go for sale in Australia?.
Old 23-05-2013, 12:37 PM   #208
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Abbott's goons look quite chuffed.

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 23-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #209
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinead Phipps View Post
Dear forum members, as many of you know, we’ve been evaluating alternatives for our business for some time and we’ve promised to share news as soon as any decision was finalised. This morning we are making an announcement regarding the future of local manufacturing. After a long review process, and due to increasingly challenging market conditions, we’ve made the difficult decision to close our local manufacturing facilities three years from now in October 2016. During the next three years, our plan is to continue to manufacture Falcon & Territory, keeping our commitment to deliver refreshed versions of these vehicles in 2014. This is not the decision any of us wanted, however to become a viable company that will allow us to continue to service our Australian customers, this transformation is necessary. As you can imagine, our main priority is to look after our manufacturing co-workers as well as others impacted by today’s news.
While we can’t provide you with too much detail, we also wanted to share with you, that we’ll be introducing several exciting new nameplates by 2016, increasing our portfolio by 30%.
Naturally, we’ll continue to offer parts and service support for Falcon and Territory vehicles well into the future and more detail can be found in our media release.
We want to thank you for your advocacy and the support and loyalty you’ve shown to the blue oval. While the way we are structured is changing, our commitment to Australia is strong. We’ve been a part of Australia for more than 100 years, and we’ll continue to be here for a long time to come.

TRY HARDER!!!

You have lost me as a customer for EVER!!
2 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #210
SJG351
Donating Member
Donating Member2

The new models will go ahead anounced by Bob! but it looks as though the falcon name will end in 2016 :( FPR will need to plan on racing Mustangs by then, "YES"... sorry but at least it is something to look forward to
2 users like this post:
Closed Thread