Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-05-2012, 05:14 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation April VFacts.. Falcon !!!!!!

Mazda bumps Holden, roars into second place behind Toyota
Joshua Dowling
May 1, 2012 - 4:02PM
Read laterComments 1

Preliminary sales figures for April show import-only brand is Number Two.

Mazda’s march to the top of the sales chart continued in April.

Last year, the Mazda3 small car became Australia’s top-selling vehicle, ending the Holden Commodore’s 15-year winning streak.

In March, Mazda as a brand toppled local manufacturer Ford for a spot on the podium behind Toyota and Holden.

Advertisement: Story continues below
Now Mazda has done what was once considered unimaginable – the Japanese import-only brand has bumped Holden to be the second-biggest selling brand behind Toyota in April.

According to preliminary figures, Mazda eclipsed Holden by fewer than 100 sales in a month that is typically a difficult period for new-car sales given the number of holiday breaks.

Toyota sold approximately 16,000 new cars last month compared to Mazda’s tally of about 7700 and Holden’s of about 7600.

South Korean car maker Hyundai was fourth with about 7000 sales, while Ford continued to struggle, finishing in fifth place for the second month in a row with approximately 6300 sales.

Ford’s April sales figures would not have been affected by the factory shutdowns last Thursday, but they may have an impact this month.

A number of factors contributed to Mazda’s success and Holden’s decline last month.

The Mazda3 small car continues to sell well and remains the country’s top-selling passenger car – and Mazda’s CX-5 has quickly become of the Australia’s most popular SUVs.

Meanwhile, Holden had all but run out of Colorado utility vehicles – there has been a six month “blackout” of production because the factory was affected by the Thailand floods as it was switching to a new model – and Holden hasn’t been able to get enough Korean-made Barina small cars to meet demand.

The official new-car sales figures are due out later this week, but the early data shows Australians continue to stay away from large cars in droves.

Holden sold fewer than 3000 Commodores while Ford sold approximately 1000 Falcons and 1100 Territory SUVs.

Last edited by csv8; 01-05-2012 at 05:23 PM. Reason: correct cut and paste
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 
Default Re: May VFacts.. Falcon !!!!!!

Shock horror......

If you don't market something and push it what do you expect. Sadly theres no money left in the till to make it work.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
blk6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Shock horror......

If you don't market something and push it what do you expect. Sadly theres no money left in the till to make it work.

Spot on!!!

No one knows about the EcoLPI engine, no one knows about the new Ecoboost engine, no one knows anything about the Falcon...except the enthusiasts and the people who follow Ford Aus on Facebook and Twitter etc.

Ford must think that the Falcon is still a household name, but it's NOT!!!

Edit: People still seem surprised when I tell them that my engine is a supercharged 5 Litre, people have no idea what Ford are doing!!!
Old 01-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk6t
Spot on!!!

No one knows about the EcoLPI engine, no one knows about the new Ecoboost engine, no one knows anything about the Falcon...except the enthusiasts and the people who follow Ford Aus on Facebook and Twitter etc.

Ford must think that the Falcon is still a household name, but it's NOT!!!

Edit: People still seem surprised when I tell them that my engine is a supercharged 5 Litre, people have no idea what Ford are doing!!!
That is it precisely
Old 01-05-2012, 05:29 PM   #5
Archilino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: April VFacts.. Falcon !!!!!!

Looking at it from a positive point of view Ford was only 1400 units from #2. When was the last time that happened?
Archilino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #6
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

One of those CX-5's was mine.........brilliant car..........
Old 01-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #7
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe the less Falcons it sells the higher the value per car of the government subsidy and the more profit?
Just a crazy theory...feel free to debunk it.

Its strange they dont advertise Falcon like Toyota advertise Camry...noone outside Ford enthusiasts know about ECOLPI and ECOBOOST ...how do they know if Ford dont tell them?
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #8
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Must admit the past few days I have seen Ford ads promoting the Mk2 Falcon and the Territory (again) regularly on the channels I have been watching. Looks as if they have decided to spill a little cash to that sector.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2012, 06:45 PM   #9
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good lord I give up!!! Seriously Ford, are your s**ting me big time!! As much I a love my Falcon I can't watch this slow painful death for the next 3-4 years.. Just kill it now & lets us morn now!!

We have FGII, Ford say NOTHING, EcoLpi, Ford say NOTHING, Ecoboost, Ford say NOTHING.. Ford is run by clowns I tell you!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #10
prydey
Rob

so the mazda3 is conquering due to all the ads mazda run, telling everyone about the car huh?? i must be in a black spot as i'm not getting them here. if i am, do you think they are telling me about what sort of engine is in it??

seriously!!

why should ford market there products to people who aren't going to buy it anyway?? i can guarantee you they are working hard at selling their products to those who do buy them, and thats fleets etc. fleets don't buy products based on a tv commercial thats for sure, and to be honest, i don't know one single person who has bought something based on a tv commercial.

also, once again we see these threads started by anti falcon people and anti falcon experts being the main contributors. why have falcon in the title?? surely just 'april v facts' would suffice!!

ford have confirmed falcon until 2016 with 2014 update. for some reason no one believes them but all the so called 'ford faithful' on here have no trouble believing general motors, even though they aren't doing any better!!
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2012, 07:17 PM   #11
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey

also, once again we see these threads started by anti falcon people and anti falcon experts being the main contributors. why have falcon in the title?? surely just 'april v facts' would suffice!!
This...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #12
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
why should ford market there products to people who aren't going to buy it anyway?? i can guarantee you they are working hard at selling their products to those who do buy them, and thats fleets etc. fleets don't buy products based on a tv commercial thats for sure, and to be honest, i don't know one single person who has bought something based on a tv commercial.
This is where you & Ford CEO Mr Graziano differ in opinions!!

A bit from the this article

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2579EA00001C19

Mr Graziano defended the Falcon’s sales, saying it was partially a result of the company having shifted its focus from fleets to private buyers.

“What we’ve tried to do is be very proactive in where we are targeting our volumes to come from, so we’ve exited some of the channels that really don’t provide the long-term brand-building capability,” he said.

“That’s partially what’s brought us that decline.

“With the technologies that we have we’re looking to improve our private share – which was actually up last year – and we’re looking to build this year.”

If your business plan is to increase private buyers, you need to tell your marketing team so their advertising matches up!!
Old 02-05-2012, 09:16 AM   #13
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
so the mazda3 is conquering due to all the ads mazda run, telling everyone about the car huh?? i must be in a black spot as i'm not getting them here. if i am, do you think they are telling me about what sort of engine is in it??
you are, mazda run car ads often, ever seen the cheetah running down the road? (second only to jeep in frequency). they don't say anything about the engine, just that it's a fun car to own, and it's both powerful and economical.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #14
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
you are, mazda run car ads often, ever seen the cheetah running down the road? (second only to jeep in frequency). they don't say anything about the engine, just that it's a fun car to own, and it's both powerful and economical.
umm, thats mazda cx5 not mazda3. and speaking of jeep, how are their sales going? they run many ads also which apparently automatically equates to many sales!!

these threads are funny. obviously ford forums is female as they even have a 'that time of the month' episode every month.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #15
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
umm, thats mazda cx5 not mazda3. and speaking of jeep, how are their sales going? they run many ads also which apparently automatically equates to many sales!!
Unless you have sales numbers we dont know.. Are there sales going up or down? So we dont have numbers, so I dont understand your point? Jeep aren't going to be the best seller, just becuase they have TV adds, but if salles are going up, then its working!!
Old 02-05-2012, 06:10 PM   #16
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

these threads are funny. obviously ford forums is female as they even have a 'that time of the month' episode every month.

Jeep has had a massive increase in sales, I think the highest increase in the market.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2012, 03:00 PM   #17
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
and speaking of jeep, how are their sales going? they run many ads also which apparently automatically equates to many sales!!

Jeep has a very heavy TV campaign. Figures released show that Jeep sales increased 237% in April.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/170996/c...rs-and-losers/
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #18
nstg8a

i think people are blind, or have very short memories... theres more to advertising than just an ad on tv...

ive seen big newspaper ads for terri and fg2, plus ecolpi

as for ecoboost... hmm what do you think they just had all those journos hammering the eb's round will do? all the next few mags should have reviews in them, then theres...

nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #19
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
i think people are blind, or have very short memories... theres more to advertising than just an ad on tv...

as for ecoboost... hmm what do you think they just had all those journos hammering the eb's round will do? all the next few mags should have reviews in them, then theres...

What a pointless pic to post, because without telling people what Ecoboost is it means nothing. Ecoboost could be an energy drink for all the viewers know. How many people would realise it actually has something to do with Ford and not just a sponsor who's advertising a totally different, unrelated product.

Getting a brand name out there is more than just advertising the name, its about telling people why they should buy it too.

Imagine if someone who introduced a new product just put the brand name in their advertising and nothing else, no one would even know what it is or what it does.

But I guess this is another great marketing move by the company who thinks their cars sell themselves.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #20
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
What a pointless pic to post, because without telling people what Ecoboost is it means nothing. Ecoboost could be an energy drink for all the viewers know. How many people would realise it actually has something to do with Ford and not just a sponsor who's advertising a totally different, unrelated product.

Getting a brand name out there is more than just advertising the name, its about telling people why they should buy it too.

Imagine if someone who introduced a new product just put the brand name in their advertising and nothing else, no one would even know what it is or what it does.

But I guess this is another great marketing move by the company who thinks their cars sell themselves.
Well anyone who follows the V8SC's would realise ford makes a habit of advertising their new models on the windscreens... so it might make people think 'hmm, what's ecoboost?' And then do some research...

Not everyone needs to be spoonfeed info on their next purchase, all they need is that first idea.

Some seem to think people buying cars are dimwits who look no further than the last ad that was on TV just before they left home...
Old 01-05-2012, 10:20 PM   #21
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well anyone who follows the V8SC's would realise ford makes a habit of advertising their new models on the windscreens... so it might make people think 'hmm, what's ecoboost?' And then do some research...
I think that is a big call.. I know DJR don’t have ford related stuff on there windows (forget what they have), but next time I see it, I’ll just think it is Ford’s next big thing, because I watch V8's & know Ford do this, even though in this case the sign has nothing to do with Ford!!

Predey: I agree a TV add will not make me buy a car, but it will definitely make me consider it & maybe put it on my "shopping list". Advertising at this stage for the Falcon is not about getting people to buy Falcon, it is about getting people to consider Falcon. It is up to the website, dealers, and test drivers, etc, etc to make the final sale.. And believe or not, most people buying cars, don’t visit Fords facebook account or read car magazines.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:43 PM   #22
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

And the day Ford gives up trying is the day the ship truly sales...

I'm curious to see Focus sales for last month, has anyone posted them yet?
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2012, 11:54 PM   #23
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
I think that is a big call.. I know DJR don’t have ford related stuff on there windows (forget what they have), but next time I see it, I’ll just think it is Ford’s next big thing, because I watch V8's & know Ford do this, even though in this case the sign has nothing to do with Ford!!
how does the sign have nothing to do with ford?

its a tm'd ford name, on a ford backed race team's car, which coincidentally is a ford... what am i missing?

its an extremely cheap way of getting the ecoboost name onto the tv screens every couple of weekends...
Old 02-05-2012, 12:33 AM   #24
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:

People who watch the V8s already know about Falcon. And putting Ecoboost on the windscreen isn't going to do anything. For all we know that could be one of the non car related sponsors that nobody knows about.

Newspaper ads would do little as people would just skip the page and not only that, papers are dying. Everything is on the internet now.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2012, 07:20 PM   #25
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Problem is, without advertising there is just a lot of (uninformed) word of mouth information going around, with incorrect information.

I have heard from a good few people comments along the lines of "a 4 cylinder falcon, that doesn't sound good" or "remember the 4 cylinder commodore".

Then I also suppose once they hear there is a 4 cylinder falcon they don't realise it's also turbocharged, nor do they realise it's power or consumption figures.

Another one is the myth that modern LPG powered cars lack power or economy compared with petrol powered cars, when the opposite is true.

As mentioned many times "How would people know about all this???" not everyone spends hours trolling Internet forums to find out these facts.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2012, 07:36 PM   #26
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Thats why it's a EcoBoost falcon...

I agree that Ford have got some challanges in perception.

On a large australian automotive website, and kid you not, i heard these two gems...

"the supercharged FPV's is a aftermarket fitted kit, not factory"

"I6 doesn't exsist, replaced by V6"

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 01-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #27
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry, my mistake.

I should have realised that because they call it "ecoboost" everyone knows its turbo charged, with 179kw and 353nm.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:54 PM   #28
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx
Sorry, my mistake.

I should have realised that because they call it "ecoboost" everyone knows its turbo charged, with 179kw and 353nm.
why do they need to know?? why do they even need to know the cylinder count etc??

joe5619 - is that why they released a 4cyl car with less then 200gm co2?? pretty sure thats to become eligible to many govt and fleet depatments who have that criteria. he doesn't say they have stopped selling to fleets either. he just says they are trying to improve their private buyers and have exited SOME channels.

Quote:
Nevertheless, Mr Graziano said that much of the early volume on EcoBoost would come from the business sector, since many fleets have requirements around displacement and emissions levels – something that Holden has capitalised on with its locally built four-cylinder Cruze.

“We’re hopeful that this will get us back onto some (fleet) buyer’s lists, or onto some lists that we presently can’t get onto,” he said.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #29
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx
Sorry, my mistake.

What are you suggesting

"Introducing the new G6Turbocharged179kw353nm4cylinder"

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 01-05-2012, 08:03 PM   #30
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I didn't mention cylinder count, but that's the one fact everyone WILL eventually find out.

But knowing its a Falcon that has 4 cylinders is pointless without knowing what those 4 cylinders are capable of, as 2 litres pushing one of the biggest and heaviest sedans around doesn't sound very impressive.