Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 31-03-2013, 11:20 PM   #181
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: QLD Easter : 1 Km over Speed Limit Ticket!!!!!!

This blitz by QPol doesn't seem to have achieved much. One of their own killed up north, and 2 killed in a head on. Doubt in either case tat 1km/h would have made a difference either way. They should look at hose who are in the 2 or more demerit point categories, and leave the 1 pointers alone; it is unlikely that in good conditions, if cars are all travelling at a decent speed, even if that seed is slightly over the posted limit, that the additional speed would result in a crash. The wipe off 5 that Victoria targeted is a croc, because it is highly likely that doing 5 over is the difference between being ahead of an accident, or being in it.

They should target excessive speedsters, drink drivers, people doing more than 10% under the posted limit (in favourable conditions), those on phones, and anyone driving a Hyundai getz (worst drivers on the road!)
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
2 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2013, 12:55 AM   #182
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_F6 View Post
They weren't joking about this easter!!!

Started out today and didn't see anything, "BS They're out in force" says I....

- Half an hour later I'm in a line-up waiting for an RBT and drug test
- Pass a bike and cop car on the way to my 1st destination
- Pass an undercover radar the next
- Another radar coming on to the highway near North Lakes
- Pass a guy getting bent over while his car is searched

That was all in a grand total of 2 hours on the road.
I actually hope they do these highway blitzes every single weekend. While motorists were busy getting reamed on the major highways, I was blasting through the mountains at warp factor 5 on the motorbike with nary a copper in sight! Bliss!

Oh, and to those saying that cruise control and active speed warnings make it easy to monitor your speed, my bike doesn't have any of that nonsense, so what can I do? I can tell you that on a highway, it is IMPOSSIBLE to hold the throttle at a precise point without fluctuating in speed at least a little. And if anyone tells me otherwise, you are flat out lying.

EDIT - and despite my Tourist Trophy mountain run, I didn't die. Not even once!

Oo\===/oO
5 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #183
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
maybe they should do something of use and park themselves near a roundabout. 95% of people DONT use blinkers correctly or at ALL and would surely be a GOLD MINE FOR them
I think the roundabout blinker rules in qld are poorly designed so I dont see this as a useful way to use police time, although I am sure they could raise some revenue from the time spent at roundabouts. Government need to review and simplfy the rules to suit the IQ of the numpties who they give licences if they really want this fixed though. It would be as simple as: Turning right, indicate right. Turning left, indicate left. Going straight, no indicator. Rather than having to indicate as you are leaving a roundabout, which seems to confuse people, so they either turn on both indiactors or dont indicate when turning until they leave a roundabout which just means no one knows which direction they are going until they leave.

I am more amazed at people not following basic road rules on roundabouts than the actual use of indicators though.

I dont know how many near misses I have had because cars turn right from the left hand lane of a roundabout even though the arrows entering it clearly show that you can only turn left or go straight from that lane, and in the right lane you can go straight ahead or right. This means that you can have a vehicle in the right lane heading straight and the vehicle in the left lane breaking the law trying to make a right turn in front of that vehicle. Pure madness, yet I see it almost on a weekly occassion!

Seeing as how you are the roundabout blinker police though, why not enlighten us on the correct use of blinkers?
Would you expect police to book someone for not indicating left as they leave a roundabout when travelling straight ahead?

Last edited by AU1XLS; 01-04-2013 at 06:37 PM.
This user likes this post:
Old 01-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #184
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was heading to work on Friday and was pulled over for RBT unit as we were heading out of town.This was at 10.15am.
Prior to that, we had the usual mine spec Prado (looked new. Generally a superintendent of some department) pull out in front of us towing a dual axle trailer with none of the lights working.
This vehicle was pulled up in front of us for a breath test and let go. I informed the officer that she let got someone who wasn't "roadworthy" in a sense.
Conversion.

Policewoman "Hello. Blah, blah, blah .......RBT blah blah blah blow in this until I tell you to stop thanks."

Me (from passenger seat) "Are you aware that the vehicle in front of us has no rear lights working and prior to us noticing that, pulled in front of us without warning because they were not working?"

Policewoman "No! Hey! It's Easter and I'm doing RBT." giggle giggle giggle.

Me "What? You're kinding right? I understand what you are doing but you just let a defective vehicle go that almost cause an incident because the rear trailer lights ain't working? How about you yell out to your partner who standing there trying really hard to look pretty to stop that vehicle from leaving until the individual fixes the problem? It's probably a really quick fix. He probably forgot the plug or it's not pushed in properly. Either way, it shouldn't be on the road as it has already been a cause of concern."

Poliewoman "Oh I wonder what I can find wrong with this vehicle?"

Me "Are you for real? Go nuts! It has a 1000k's on it. It's new and we did the checklist this morning. Knock yourself out."

While the policeofficer and I were trading words, my friend, who was happily blowing in the bag, was turning red in the face from blowing and waiting for her to tell him to stop lets out a gasp and splatter as his lung capacity had exceeded it's limits and he had to breath.
Now that was assuming!
3 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #185
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
This blitz by QPol doesn't seem to have achieved much. One of their own killed up north, and 2 killed in a head on. Doubt in either case tat 1km/h would have made a difference either way. They should look at hose who are in the 2 or more demerit point categories, and leave the 1 pointers alone; it is unlikely that in good conditions, if cars are all travelling at a decent speed, even if that seed is slightly over the posted limit, that the additional speed would result in a crash. The wipe off 5 that Victoria targeted is a croc, because it is highly likely that doing 5 over is the difference between being ahead of an accident, or being in it.

They should target excessive speedsters, drink drivers, people doing more than 10% under the posted limit (in favourable conditions), those on phones, and anyone driving a Hyundai getz (worst drivers on the road!)
Yeah the big fan fare seems to have curbed the death toll from last year,not .........
So the extra millions they made by being pillicks about it ,I wonder how that's goin to save those who have died on the roads in this easter break
It proves a point, that perhaps being savage about it doesn't deem the fact that theres a lot of idiots out there,so maybe they need to reassess,perhaps 1 K over isn't the answer,but whatever ways they choose it has to bring in the money,rather than train,teach better drivers

Slow drivers under 10 % , should be fined,if theres no reason they are driving that slow,,same as they parade they will hand out fines for the right lane hogs,yet they don't enforce it too much
Theres other issues with road use than 1 K over that cause ,or be issues with road fatalities or crashes,lets look at other avenues to force people to be better road users
The 2 examples above is a better start than the 1 K over dribble,because it didn't work
Old 01-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #186
EVLKNEVL

"We are disappointed that the road toll this Easter has been so high, that's why we are bringing the zero tolerance 1km/h policy in all year round. Just look at how many disobedient maniacs we caught speeding. Speed kills."

I can almost hear it already..
Old 01-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #187
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

yo got defected for having an indicator globe out????????

are u bloody serious???

good lord!!!!
what a joke that is
that is PURE revenue raising plain and simple

how many deaths on the road already (and still with today to go)?
16 now?
Old 01-04-2013, 12:15 PM   #188
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6TCraig View Post
Rather than having to indicate as you are leaving a roundabout, which seems to confuse people, so they either turn on both indiactors or dont indicate when turning until they leave a roundabout which just means no one knows which direction they are going until they leave.
Seeing as how you are the roundabout blinker police though, why not enlighten us on the correct use of blinkers?
Would you expect police to book someone for not indicating left as they leave a roundabout when travelling straight ahead?
Ooops! People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones! You go round a roundabout, there's no such thing as turning right, left or going "straight ahead" (try defining these on the attached diagram). The most important signal on a roundabout is in fact left-to-exit because you're indicating to the person waiting at the next entrance that it's OK for them to enter. It's the one signal you should make for the roundabout to function properly - as well as signalling if changing lanes within the roundabout.

Unfortunately Australian road authorities don't know how roundabouts operate themselves, which makes it hard for the punters using them - Victoria even says the left-to-exit signal is optional - wtf! Observing roundabouts here, I find signalling is all over the shop, if at all. Given this mess, the safest thing on an Australia roundabout is to drive defensively and not assume anything from any other driver, signals or not. Bit hard for the police to police anything when the lawmakers themselves don't know what they're doing!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roundabouts.JPG (22.9 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by AU1XLS; 01-04-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #189
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
Ooops! People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones! You go round a roundabout, there's no such thing as turning right, left or going "straight ahead" (try defining these on the attached diagram). The most important signal on a roundabout is in fact left-to-exit because you're indicating to the person waiting at the next entrance that it's OK for them to enter. It's the one signal you should make for the roundabout to function properly - as well as signalling if changing lanes within the roundabout.

Unfortunately Australian road authorities don't know how roundabouts operate themselves, which makes it hard for the punters using them - Victoria even says the left-to-exit signal is optional - wtf! Observing roundabouts here, I find signalling is all over the shop, if at all. Given this mess, the safest thing on an Australia roundabout is to drive defensively and not assume anything from any other driver, signals or not. Bit hard for the police to police anything when the lawmakers themselves don't know what they're doing!
The actual purpose of indicators is to indicate to the other road users what you intend to do NOT to make pretty lights with click click noises and follow the sacred text verbatim.

The problem is that a roundabout can be an intersection with a tree in the middle or it can be a multi lane 300m diameter circle with 10 exits.

My personal methodology which is the most common in my area.

If the roundabout is is less than about 3-5 car lengths between exits and has 4 exits at right angles before entering the roundabout I indicate left if leaving on the first, do not indicate if leaving on the second or indicate right if leaving on the third or forth (u turn). After entering in the case of third or forth I indicate left upon passing the second exit.

This clearly demonstrates where I wish to exit to other vehicles BEFORE entry as the period of time of the roundabout may be less than a couple of seconds.

It the roundabout is larger then I will just indicate left upon passing the exit prior to the one on which I intend to leave.

I know this is not exactly the methodology written in the road rules but it seems to get the ideas across more accurately and efficiently.

Like this stupid 1km/h tolerance, sometimes, for example when overtaking, it is much safer for everyone if the spirit of the law takes precedence of the letter of the law.
4 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #190
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
Like this stupid 1km/h tolerance, sometimes, for example when overtaking, it is much safer for everyone if the spirit of the law takes precedence of the letter of the law.
Well common sense is a rare quality on the roads here. If you identify your car I'll watch out for you but most don't have a clue, so defensive driving is the safest course of action. Otherwise how do you deal with someone exiting left with their right indicator on, which I see all the time!
Old 01-04-2013, 02:54 PM   #191
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post

Unfortunately Australian road authorities don't know how roundabouts operate themselves, which makes it hard for the punters using them
Yeah well I dont think I was throwing stones and my house is made of brick. I'm Simply stating that the rules on roundabouts are nonsensicle and should be looked at and changed rather than used to revenue raise which was the point made my the poster who I quoted.

The fact that the Australian authorities dont know about roundabouts or how to design them is half the reason why. Half of the roundabouts that I use are so small that not only can you drive through them in a straight line without deviating or going around them to continue along the same road in which you entered the roundabout, but you also dont get the opportunity to signal as you are leaving them, nor would anyone approaching the roundabout actually see the left turn signal due to the size and construction of said roundabout if you did indicate.

Of course QLD law states that you must indicate left when leaving a roundabout if practical to do so. Unless the roundabout is has a 50mtr Diamater, it usually isn't practical to do so. The 'if practical to do so' get out clause could also prove tricky if the police did try booking people for not indicating.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #192
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySilver View Post
yo got defected for having an indicator globe out????????

are u bloody serious???

good lord!!!!
what a joke that is
that is PURE revenue raising plain and simple
True story!

Hey it gets worse, a month ago his fuel pump packed in and he got it towed home.
It had been loaded onto a flat top truck rear end first and so when delivered the towie pulled up at the front of his house and dropped it off facing against the traffic.

The car sat there facing the wrong way on a 50m stretch of residential estate back street for half an hour tops until I arrived to help him push it up his driveway.

In that time the local council inspector had been either notified or noticed it on his rounds and had booked him for it.
He received a $58 fine a week later.
We rang the appropriate dept. and explained the situation but they weren't interested.

The federal, state and local governments are broke and were paying for it, plain and simple.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #193
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

unreal...
Old 01-04-2013, 06:03 PM   #194
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
BURN THE WITCH!!!!!!!

That can't happen...you are obviously mistaken...modern cars don't have a speedo error like that. I do notice however that it's a 2003 model...wasn't it up to 2005 that ADR's allowed 10% plus or minus?

Of course, that won't help you when you get a fine for "zero tolerance" of one kph over...

And yes...if you inflate a tyre more, it will be slightly taller. This will affect your speedo.

And another thing...people think GPS is the be-all and end-all, absolutely accurate method of checking speed. The nasty fact is that GPS can in fact be slightly out now and then...not all the time, but occasionally. Our work vehicles out here have a GPS based "BigMate" system in them to monitor speed. One guy had some very nasty questions to answer when the Prado he was driving brought up a red flag as doing 170kph. Someone thought to do a download and they found that he had been doing a steady 110kph (we all heavily use the cruise control as we know we're being monitored), and within a four second period the speed jumped to 170, sat there for a couple of seconds, and dropped back to 110. Of course the GPS only knew that the car had exceeded the speed limit and it reported this.
One other Prado was red flagged for doing 170-odd kph...while sitting parked in the parking lot outside the station...
The GPS in my KIA minivan sometimes says my max speed has been 400kph +.... And the missus has a go at me for driving too fast...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
Old 01-04-2013, 06:18 PM   #195
4stanger