The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #181
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Car industry prepares for Ford Australia exit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Bingo.

Why we cant have a local CEO is beyond me, there are some very very good people in the chain locally.
Because every time they put an Aussie in the chair, they end up turning the place around and they have to send a Yank over to send it down the tube again...
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2012, 03:34 PM   #182
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Bingo.

Why we cant have a local CEO is beyond me, there are some very very good people in the chain locally. We get treated like some outpost that is good for some experience, a little holiday or assignment.

In saying that I can see the attraction for a local to move OS within the ranks aswell, you would be mad not to.

A local guy/gal would have far more passion and more to lose than a fly-by-nighter.

Everything that has happened to FoA is a product of changing management trying to stamp their own signature on what occurs here. No continuity whatsoever. Look at the delay with the TDi Tez for example.

Well its quite obvious really.

Bob Graziano has been sent here to wrap up the Falcon, and probably manufacturing operations as well. No more, no less.

He seems to be on track as well. A local CEO just wouldn't be as willing or effective in getting this job done...
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2012, 04:35 PM   #183
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection
Are you able to extend the list prior to 1995?
I think this right:

Jacques Nasser- 1989-1992
John Ogden- 1992-1995
David Morgan- 1995-1999
Geoff Polities- 1999-2004
Tom Gorman- 2004-2008
Bill Osborne- 2008-2008
Marin Burela- 2008-2010
Bob Graziano- 2010-present
barra240t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2012, 06:02 PM   #184
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One more and I am out:

Bill Dix- 1985?-1989
Jacques Nasser- 1989-1992
John Ogden- 1992-1995
David Morgan- 1995-1999
Geoff Polities- 1999-2004
Tom Gorman- 2004-2008
Bill Osborne- 2008-2008
Marin Burela- 2008-2010
Bob Graziano- 2010-present
Old 01-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #185
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASER
At least the Lion King brand has a robust export program, something that FoA overlooked at its peril.

In less than 10 years time [how long will The General hang on for?], the mighty BigT[tm.F.0] wins, last manufacturer standing, and the one who has had by and away the best quality of any car manufactured here

The Camry Hybrids nice, the rest of the range does nothing for me
What is the robust export plan? 5000 cars maybe to the US as VF is not mentioned as going anywhere else, while Caprice cop car is selling up a storm.....not.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #186
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Might have been answered previously, but will Ford opt for a middle ground and bring in vehicles as knocked down for assembly here?

I reckon the Taurus would be a goer, so is the Expolorer. But in righT hand drive might take some working. I hope whatever happens, we are still able to option up a large car, I've got three in child seats for at least the next seven years, and really don't want to go to a people carrier.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2012, 08:08 PM   #187
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would absolutely love to see Ranger built here, the country that helped create the T6 in the first place. We have a big enough market here to supply our own country without exporting it. I know, I know, its costs money, but to be honest I don't see Thailand ever supplying enough for the demand Australia has for this model.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:35 PM   #188
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
What is the robust export plan? 5000 cars maybe to the US as VF is not mentioned as going anywhere else, while Caprice cop car is selling up a storm.....not.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1
Might have been answered previously, but will Ford opt for a middle ground and bring in vehicles as knocked down for assembly here?

I reckon the Taurus would be a goer, so is the Expolorer. But in righT hand drive might take some working. I hope whatever happens, we are still able to option up a large car, I've got three in child seats for at least the next seven years, and really don't want to go to a people carrier.
They wouldn't do CKD. When you have a complete press shop here to do all the panels you wouldn't bother. It wouldn't be expensive to stamp panels, its the tooling that costs money, but since the car would be designed overseas they would be saving so much money from not having to do that themselves it would be reasonably cheap to get it into production you'd imagine. Maybe half what a new Falcon would have cost, maybe even less.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2012, 01:05 AM   #189
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No surprise.

The ABC radio had a motoring talk a while ago, and the presenter had visited the thriving factories in India, and was amazed at the big names now making cars there, or soon planning to.
There were the usual suspects...most of the Jap car makers (our sons Suzuki Alto is made in India), Ford, GM, Chrysler, Mercedes, BMW, and some big names like Aston Martin and others considering it...even Harley Davidson.

The American Fusion is a fantastic car...check the US Ford website and check the features (just ignore the price...it would be double that at least here).

Our almost unique requirement for cars to be RHD only stifles things a fair bit and makes common cars into expensive prestige models here. No other country seems to have such a huge problem with which side of the car the steering wheel is on.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2012, 01:22 AM   #190
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and whats goingto happen with getting parts for the older fords, just aftermarket only ??
car10002 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2012, 02:10 AM   #191
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would it be reasonable to assume that what killed/killing the falcon and other now defunt aussie made cars is a massive change in consumer taste, brand confidence and most importantly our economy?

First it was the 380, now it will be the Falcon and Commodore right?

After their going by 2018~ give or take will there be any aussie cars left they are actually built here besides toyota?

The fusion does look like a great car, i guess ill have to get used to it once the local alternative is no longer available, your right about the pricing too, hopefully if ford can produce enough RHD models the price might go down over time.

Last edited by falconnut; 02-08-2012 at 02:16 AM.
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2012, 08:09 AM   #192
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here's something I just read on Carpoint. These reports need to get out there to try and provide some balance. The "Receiver" who started the speculation in the first place has no credibility and deserves to be held to account.

http://ninemsn.carpoint.com.au/news/...a-circus-31649

Cheers,

Jim
GTP534 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2012, 08:29 AM   #193
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well if Ford go down the toilet it won't be any surprise to me.
my dad owned Fords, i owned Fords my children own Asian built cars. between my sister and i, we have 6 children, not one of them has a Ford car. i'll assume we're not a unique family in our vehicle choices, if overseas built cars are cheaper then folks will buy them especially when they aren't enthusiests. when was the last time you saw an Asian decent person driving a Ford Falcon that wasn't a renter?
it'll be a shame to see them go, after all, i've had a long time with them. having said that, they're current product does nothing to compell me to buy.
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2012, 08:31 AM   #194
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Good read , we all know sorta where our car industry is heading .But some of the media dribble is unreal , they need to take some account for it ..glad to see he was shot down a little
Old 02-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #195
RASER
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman_75
Good read , we all know sorta where our car industry is heading .But some of the media dribble is unreal , they need to take some account for it ..glad to see he was shot down a little
We have only just seen the beginning of Made In China brands, standby for full force attack.
RASER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2012, 10:27 AM   #196
RASER
Banned

Smile Re: Car industry prepares for Ford Australia exit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
Forget USA, [although they could have had a go at the NY Taxi fleet tender] both Dick Johnson and myself agree that export was the only lifeline, but USA cannot happen.

I would think they should have had a bash at EVERY RHD market on the planet, beginning with UK [England, Scotland, Irelands] and South Africa for starters, followed by HongKong [FFS, they use large Toyota Crowns there] not just the Falcon but the Terri too.

You can see how many are here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_hand_drive
Old 02-08-2012, 10:47 AM   #197
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-0733
well if Ford go down the toilet it won't be any surprise to me.
my dad owned Fords, i owned Fords my children own Asian built cars. between my sister and i, we have 6 children, not one of them has a Ford car. i'll assume we're not a unique family in our vehicle choices, if overseas built cars are cheaper then folks will buy them especially when they aren't enthusiests. when was the last time you saw an Asian decent person driving a Ford Falcon that wasn't a renter?
it'll be a shame to see them go, after all, i've had a long time with them. having said that, they're current product does nothing to compell me to buy.
You make a very interesting point. My son is getting close to driving age, and he has said to me many times "why are Commodores and Falcons so bogan?" The days of school yard Ford vs Holden are gone, repaced with WRX vs 180SX vs Mitsi, etc. I think those PlayStation and PSP games have a lot to answer for.

Staying on the subject; my young cousins all drive small cars, are on their second model and chose small again.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2012, 11:27 AM   #198
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep
You make a very interesting point. My son is getting close to driving age, and he has said to me many times "why are Commodores and Falcons so bogan?" The days of school yard Ford vs Holden are gone, repaced with WRX vs 180SX vs Mitsi, etc. I think those PlayStation and PSP games have a lot to answer for.Staying on the subject; my young cousins all drive small cars, are on their second model and chose small again.
You are not alone in thinking that way lol! Dont forget Xbox! Video games are a powerful marketing tool when used correctly.

cheers,Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2012, 11:47 AM   #199
bingoTE50
Steve

The market is definitely changing. The techno age is upon us . My son is 19 and he's peers are more interested in sport , gaming, and portability of their media.
In the last five years he has not once said ,he wants to buy a certain car when he gets the funds , before that he did. As long as the car has a decent sound system, blue tooth ,sat nav , usb , cruise and good economy ,that will be he's priority. And preferably if I bought it !!! ( not happening) ..
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2012, 01:08 PM   #200
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
What a surprise, Razor chiming in with his comments about how crap the Falcon and Ranger are, and how the f-150 needs to be sold here for a profit busting price of 30k...
He is in his own little world. One the F150 won't come here and even if it did your looking at a price that most people won't fork over when the Hilux, Ranger, etc will do the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrider
what will kill the straight 6 will be tuffer emission laws. the straight 6 is actually ahead of holdens newer V6s. I really notice the difference out on the highway between the too. the holden V6 (not the horrible 3L thing) is not gutless either by anymeans in saying that.
The I6 (both petrol and gas) are already for the next emission laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Falcon and Territory are dead, it wether Broadmeadows assemble anything post 2016 that is now the question and is being looked at. It all depends on making a business case for it, which will only work if exports throughout Asia eventuate. I think the plan of selling the Territory in Thailand is a test case for this.
h
I really don't see why they would bother. The plant is as efficient as it can be but the problem is it's still old, and in comparison to a new high efficient plant over seas why would you bother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Territory isn't a traditional wagon. a Sports wagon is...people who want a traditional wagon cann't buy one from Ford..
Don't see the sports wagon as traditional (seeing the small amount of room in the back). But Ford do have a Mondeo wagon.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #201
RASER
Banned

Smile Re: Car industry prepares for Ford Australia exit

Quote:
Originally Posted by car10002
and whats goingto happen with getting parts for the older fords, just aftermarket only ??
FoA will have enough genuine parts for at least 10 years or more after production stops.

U can always go to the wreckers for anything else

And if the demand is there, China will build what ever u need as long as "how many container loads" is met
Old 02-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #202
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
I really don't see why they would bother. The plant is as efficient as it can be but the problem is it's still old, and in comparison to a new high efficient plant over seas why would you bother.
Sure the building may be old, but in terms of its facilities and plant there isnt a lot there that is 'old' that can't be rectified by an upgrade. Don't forget this is an assembly plant that builds modern unibody cars using modern techniques and materials - we're not talking pop-rivet guns and blokes manually using arc welders here like in the 1960's, some of the manufacturing processes introduced with the FG were a first for any Ford car in the world.

The issue with those overseas plants in Thailand etc is that they are at near capacity providing volume selling products for global markets - but there are no subsidiary plants in the region that can be 'delegated' to take care of lower tier stuff that doesnt move in as high numbers as the Fiesta, Focus etc. Dearborn has got the ***** on because despite having hundreds of millions of dollars tipped into it over the past few years to modernise some things, Broadmeadows is an asset that is underutilised and has substantial excess capacity, but the current products do not provide Ford with a hope in hell of realising that capacity.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2012, 01:55 PM   #203
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Sure the building may be old, but in terms of its facilities and plant there isnt a lot there that is 'old' that can't be rectified by an upgrade. Don't forget this is an assembly plant that builds modern unibody cars using modern techniques and materials - we're not talking pop-rivet guns and blokes manually using arc welders here like in the 1960's, some of the manufacturing processes introduced with the FG were a first for any Ford car in the world.
It's not the building I'm talking about. Its the layout that is the big problem (not easily changed). It was great back in the day, not so good now.
I know what the plant is like, worked there a few years back. The best manufacturing engineers come from the car industry IMO (especially seeing some of the spags in other industries) and like I said the plant is really efficient. But there are problems with it that they cannot get around without spending money that cannot be justified.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #204
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
It's not the building I'm talking about. Its the layout that is the big problem (not easily changed). It was great back in the day, not so good now.
I know what the plant is like, worked there a few years back. The best manufacturing engineers come from the car industry IMO (especially seeing some of the spags in other industries) and like I said the plant is really efficient. But there are problems with it that they cannot get around without spending money that cannot be justified.
Are you talking about the process lines inside, or the grounds of the plant itself? I think they can make better use of some of the space inside, for example, do they really need that large mechanics bay in the main building in there? Surely that can be moved elsewhere on the site.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 02-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #205
brett7777
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP534
Here's something I just read on Carpoint. These reports need to get out there to try and provide some balance. The "Receiver" who started the speculation in the first place has no credibility and deserves to be held to account.

http://ninemsn.carpoint.com.au/news/...a-circus-31649

Cheers,

Jim
Note the title tab at the top: 'Opinion'.
Nissan Skyline 370GT Coupe
Previous:
FPV BF F6 Typhoon #202
BF XR6 Rebel

Founder of BA & BF FORD FALCON FACEBOOK GROUP
brett7777 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2012, 02:18 PM   #206
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

If the red team are making a dollar from the Cruze and I am not sure if they are, then hopefully it may be viable for Ford to build a small car at Broadmeadows and return a profit.
Its a huge site they will have to do something with it..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #207
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
If the red team are making a dollar from the Cruze and I am not sure if they are, then hopefully it may be viable for Ford to build a small car at Broadmeadows and return a profit.
Its a huge site they will have to do something with it..
Holden have got upfront costs to do with implementing Cruze production (was it 300 million or something) that they have to amortise. On that basis alone, they can't be making money on that item. But in terms of a straight forward cost-to-build and then sell-the-car basis, then they would be.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:09 PM   #208
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Are you talking about the process lines inside, or the grounds of the plant itself? I think they can make better use of some of the space inside, for example, do they really need that large mechanics bay in the main building in there? Surely that can be moved elsewhere on the site.
More the zig zag problem they have with the line itself. It was great when they building cars back in the day but not now. Revamp of the PDA area isn't really gonna make that big of a difference. Mind you its not to bad when you watch them pumping out 500+ cars a day.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:48 PM   #209
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
More the zig zag problem they have with the line itself. It was great when they building cars back in the day but not now. Revamp of the PDA area isn't really gonna make that big of a difference. Mind you its not to bad when you watch them pumping out 500+ cars a day.
Aah yes I gotcha now. Yes they have done quite well to cram all that stuff in there, considering. I was amazed when I watched a welding robot work on an FG side panel, then change its own welding head, and then bugger off and do something else! I think that said robot then picked up the entire side panel, fed it up through an opening in the roof support beams to another process line running above our heads, where it met the rest of the car. Amazing stuff to watch a car getting built.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:05 PM   #210
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Aah yes I gotcha now. Yes they have done quite well to cram all that stuff in there, considering. I was amazed when I watched a welding robot work on an FG side panel, then change its own welding head, and then bugger off and do something else! I think that said robot then picked up the entire side panel, fed it up through an opening in the roof support beams to another process line running above our heads, where it met the rest of the car. Amazing stuff to watch a car getting built.
The money that gets spent in there for new machines and processes are very high (but they would have a ROI to justify it). I would love to see what they could do building a new plant if the money was there.

Pretty sure they would have heavy involvement in the o/s plants...especially after the South Africa debacle.