Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 09:50 AM   #181
buddyforu
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutura
it doesn't prove that the VT design was aesthetically superior at all. It proves that it was more popular, thats all. You cannot say that one car has superior looks to another, it depends on the viewer.
If the VT didn't look any better than the AU, why was it more popular then??

If you have two cars in the same catagory where one looks awkward (I have NEVER once heard the AU called 'a nice looking car' even by other die hard Ford fans), and the other an obviously more cohesive design, which do you think will be more popular?

I know a lot of people out there that would choose a late EL over an series 1 AU any day. Why? Because it looks better.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:54 AM   #182
Morpheus
Take the blue pill...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darran
Has anyone heard what power range the cars will have? 195? 200KW in the 6's?
I have heard that the 6 will have 200kw (not sure if all models though) and twin pipes. My mate works at Elizabeth
Old 09-06-2006, 10:21 AM   #183
blackahcdx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
How on Gods name can you think that the VT is superior to the AU? Got anythnig objective there?

Reminder: Which car won Wheels COTY?
Old 09-06-2006, 12:38 PM   #184
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackahcdx
Reminder: Which car won Wheels COTY?
HAHA..well going on that theory the Camira is an engineering marvel aswell
:
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 09-06-2006, 12:55 PM   #185
seano14
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyforu
If the VT didn't look any better than the AU, why was it more popular then??

If you have two cars in the same catagory where one looks awkward (I have NEVER once heard the AU called 'a nice looking car' even by other die hard Ford fans), and the other an obviously more cohesive design, which do you think will be more popular?

I know a lot of people out there that would choose a late EL over an series 1 AU any day. Why? Because it looks better.
alright, perhaps we should say "to the majority, the VT was considered better looking than the AU".

with risk of taking this too far off topic, you can tie this back to the point by saying it is true alot of people put heavy weighting on the appearance of the car. the AU was technically an excellent car, but all of that was hiding under it's body panels, and im sure most people had a tough time getting past that.

the majority of the population (car enthusiasts on forums represent the minority) want a car that goes good and looks great, and im sure turning up to impress your mates in an AU surely wouldn't work.

the VE looks nice.., but slightly conservative yes. this also has a plus side though, it's still easily identifyable as a commodore.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:05 PM   #186
blackahcdx

The AU was "technically excellent" however it still had leaf springs!!!

yeah, that makes sense for sure :p

The AU was no where near as good as it should have been
Old 09-06-2006, 01:14 PM   #187
xfalconz

I think the new Commodore is a smart looking car, im getting sick of seeing the VT shape Commodore with its rounded mid 90,s style sheetmetal and angular light/bumper assemblies to try and fit with modern styling in the VZ,VY.
And as for no good looking AU, the XR8 looked tougher than the VT SS.
The new Commodore even makes the BF look dated tho.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:34 PM   #188
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:

ah what an ignorent post!
leaf springs were and are still in the Utes, where they should be. find me a 1 tonne ute that doesnt have leaf springs! And the trucks do very well with leafs springs, go jactually drive a Persuit ute or tornado with Leaf springs! Then you will see how much of a joke your post is
Old 09-06-2006, 03:30 PM   #189
blutura
ZX-6R & Falcon pilot

Quote:
Only on the back of ute and wagon, both of which were designed to carry loads. All sedans had either a coil sprung live rear axle or IRS, depending on the model.

You can only have two.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:57 PM   #190
Dazza TT
Now Prado Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_Dave
leaf springs were and are still in the Utes, where they should be. find me a 1 tonne ute that doesnt have leaf springs! And the trucks do very well with leafs springs, go jactually drive a Persuit ute or tornado with Leaf springs! Then you will see how much of a joke your post is
ing_sm
All the car magazines say Holden utes may ride and handle better, but cannot carry a decent load due to the IRS, unlike the Ford utes... with Leaf Sprung Rear. :
I have not had a drama with the handling side of things with my ute. Handles like its on rails anyway, compared to my old XH tradesman!!!! :

Last edited by Dazza TT; 09-06-2006 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:00 PM   #191
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_Dave
And to further prove that leaf springs can do the job, look no further than the V8 Brute Utes!

Last episode I watched the XR8's were whooping ***!
:
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 09-06-2006, 05:41 PM   #192
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:

Yeah and the VT generation IRS was brilliant was it, who cares if the VT won car of the year thats one award.The AU was and stillis a great car (second coming) if u will. xfalconz i also agree the AU XR's looked the goods over the VT/VX S,SS's
The only reason the VT was more successfull then the AU is because in most peoples eyes they looked better remember beauty is only skin deep the AU was mechanically advanced then the VT but many o people didnt see that.
I agree though that many folks arguements will not match because most people have different tastes' which is fine as has been said it depends on who is looking at the car in question wheather it be VE BA VZ AU etc as to weather it is any good
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
Old 09-06-2006, 09:37 PM   #193
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McobraR
Well it was earlier this year that the Hurricane V8 was brought back. It might be that which you're talking about because theres not alot known about it. Some say it is to consist of pushrods, others say its an evolution of the triton engines with a SOHC 3v layout. Who knows.
It might be ready just in time for a test in the new Falcon?. Might be doing the rounds now here in early form who knows?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfalconz
I think the new Commodore is a smart looking car, im getting sick of seeing the VT shape Commodore with its rounded mid 90,s style sheetmetal and angular light/bumper assemblies to try and fit with modern styling in the VZ,VY.
And as for no good looking AU, the XR8 looked tougher than the VT SS.
The new Commodore even makes the BF look dated tho.
If it didnt they would be in deep SSssssssT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darran
ing_sm
All the car magazines say Holden utes may ride and handle better, but cannot carry a decent load due to the IRS, unlike the Ford utes... with Leaf Sprung Rear. :
I have not had a drama with the handling side of things with my ute. Handles like its on rails anyway, compared to my old XH tradesman!!!! :
Thats why the crewman is so popular for work men, Some just like the show and car handling with the SS Ute lower it look cool and it's cheaper, Some that really want it for work will buy the crewman or bottom out lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00VenomXR
Yeah and the VT generation IRS was brilliant was it, who cares if the VT won car of the year thats one award.The AU was and stillis a great car (second coming) if u will. xfalconz i also agree the AU XR's looked the goods over the VT/VX S,SS's
The only reason the VT was more successfull then the AU is because in most peoples eyes they looked better remember beauty is only skin deep the AU was mechanically advanced then the VT but many o people didnt see that.
I agree though that many folks arguements will not match because most people have different tastes' which is fine as has been said it depends on who is looking at the car in question wheather it be VE BA VZ AU etc as to weather it is any good
I thought everyone loved awards :
Old 10-06-2006, 12:56 AM   #194
ltd
Force Fed Fords

The VE will sell well. Product cycles dictate that it will sell well. Ford will have to do a BF2 to stay in the race as Orion is still 21 months away. Fleets will buy the BF/BF2 as ford do everything they can to sell their cars and heavily discount vehicles. Profitability per unit will fall on the falcon until the new release Orion however Ford won't need to make as many sales as when their product was younger as they have passed the break even point of the 500 million investment for the BA/BF. Holden have already gone through this phase and as such, they can offer massive discounts now but they will have lesser capacity to discount the new model. This is when ford will discount heavily. When Orion comes out, Holden will do what ford are going to do and on it goes.

Quote: