Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-11-2015, 02:30 PM   #2041
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: New to cycling

K, i have a Giant hybrid bike and i'm due to replace the back tyre so my question is?
Since i'm starting out, doing 20-25km rides should i try and put skinnier tyres on there atm are 700x38C.
Also to take into consideration i am still 140kgs and where i ride there are a few rough crappy bits of road.
The rims aren't factory, had to upgrade after kept busting spokes lol.
damo76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2015, 03:42 PM   #2042
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Skinny tyres will make it easier/faster due to less rolling resistance. But for now speed and "easy" is not what you're after. What width are you rims. Look for the ETRTO size, it should be written somewhere.
Perhaps a compromise in width of around a 32. Look for something like a schwalbe marathon, or similar from another brand like continental, Michelin, etc.
The Marathons are pretty bullet proof and still a good tyre comfort and grip wise.
Wider tyres over skinner toad spec will mean you can run less pressure but your weight will require you to run in the upper limit of the tyres pressure recommendation.
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2015, 02:28 AM   #2043
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Damo76, ultimately a skinnier tyre will give less rolling resistance, but the size tyre you have is fine. The best investment you can make is upgrading the engine, which is you!

I've gone from a hybrid, wondering why I couldn't go as fast as other cyclists, so I upgraded to a carbon framed road bike. I've ridden my carbon framed bike the past 3 years, but only this year I set a goal to ride in a 100km ride. Before this, most of my rides were to and from work (nearly 20km each way) and the occasional 30-50k ride. I think I've started to improve in the last 6 months.

After 3 years on my carbon framed road bike, I did my 100km ride in June (Brissie to Bay charity ride), and don't get me wrong, I felt great! I'm nearly 49, and used to smoke a pack of 40 cigs a day for nearly 20 years! I rewarded myself by buying a pair of carbon fibre rims... I know it's bling factor, but an excuse to improve myself to justify the expense.

In my riding (an excuse to get away from housework! not good for a single dad..) I came across a bloke on a mountain bike who was matching my pace into a vile headwind, because he snapped a cable on the road bike and had to get a ride in.

I rode the Brisbane to Gold Coast charity ride, and I was being passed by mountain bikes and hybrids... I still improved my speed, but I knew I could have done better.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that don't get absorbed in needing to upgrade your bike parts too soon... unless you've got an open budget! Your best upgrade is in the time you spend pedalling, and pushing yourself a bit further.

Upgrades are nice, but you have to back them up with your body, and building the muscle groups up. It's a great weight losing hobby, though!

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2015, 02:53 AM   #2044
prydey
Rob

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades - Eddy Merckx (I think)
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2015, 11:51 AM   #2045
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
Damo76, ultimately a skinnier tyre will give less rolling resistance, but the size tyre you have is fine. The best investment you can make is upgrading the engine, which is you!

I've gone from a hybrid, wondering why I couldn't go as fast as other cyclists, so I upgraded to a carbon framed road bike. I've ridden my carbon framed bike the past 3 years, but only this year I set a goal to ride in a 100km ride. Before this, most of my rides were to and from work (nearly 20km each way) and the occasional 30-50k ride. I think I've started to improve in the last 6 months.

After 3 years on my carbon framed road bike, I did my 100km ride in June (Brissie to Bay charity ride), and don't get me wrong, I felt great! I'm nearly 49, and used to smoke a pack of 40 cigs a day for nearly 20 years! I rewarded myself by buying a pair of carbon fibre rims... I know it's bling factor, but an excuse to improve myself to justify the expense.

In my riding (an excuse to get away from housework! not good for a single dad..) I came across a bloke on a mountain bike who was matching my pace into a vile headwind, because he snapped a cable on the road bike and had to get a ride in.

I rode the Brisbane to Gold Coast charity ride, and I was being passed by mountain bikes and hybrids... I still improved my speed, but I knew I could have done better.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that don't get absorbed in needing to upgrade your bike parts too soon... unless you've got an open budget! Your best upgrade is in the time you spend pedalling, and pushing yourself a bit further.

Upgrades are nice, but you have to back them up with your body, and building the muscle groups up. It's a great weight losing hobby, though!
Thanks, i do get overtaken buy other riders but i am like twice there weight aswell, will get new tyres and service the bike, it's developing a couple of squeaks.
damo76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2015, 12:23 PM   #2046
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Wouldnt let other riders dictate the way you want to ride mate. You do the best you can damo. Don't let you being overtaken be a negative thing. I used to let that get to me all the time to the point where I nearly talk myself out of riding. Now I just dont care what others do. I am doing my own thing and thats all that matters at the time.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2015, 12:40 PM   #2047
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
Wouldnt let other riders dictate the way you want to ride mate. You do the best you can damo. Don't let you being overtaken be a negative thing. I used to let that get to me all the time to the point where I nearly talk myself out of riding. Now I just dont care what others do. I am doing my own thing and thats all that matters at the time.
Excellent words...
there are many factors why you get passed - I used to try keep up with guys on the path on the latter part of my commute, only to learn my commute is 30 odd k's with hills and theirs is <10 and flat. ;)
2 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2015, 12:45 PM   #2048
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
My average speed on my rides is 23 - 25 KLM/h.... So I get overtaken quite frequently. I just do as you say above and mind my own business and enjoy the ride. My only competition is myself....

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-11-2015, 01:14 PM   #2049
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Actually - you are better off riding slowly and keeping your heart rate in a lower zone - Better for fat burn - the higher you take it whilst yes you still burn calories, you begin burn muscle and not fat due to metabolic rates - gets complex.. ;)
2 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2015, 05:36 PM   #2050
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTpilot View Post
Actually - you are better off riding slowly and keeping your heart rate in a lower zone - Better for fat burn - the higher you take it whilst yes you still burn calories, you begin burn muscle and not fat due to metabolic rates - gets complex.. ;)
Spot on. Explains the reason why my HR is in the higher anabolic rate and Im dropping kgs of muscle like no other. I was wondering why I kept not putting muscle on and read that this was the cause. I just wanted to lose the fat not the muscle.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 04-11-2015, 09:16 PM   #2051
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Spot on. Explains the reason why my HR is in the higher anabolic rate and Im dropping kgs of muscle like no other. I was wondering why I kept not putting muscle on and read that this was the cause. I just wanted to lose the fat not the muscle.
Indeed, although with the right methods you can train your body to burn fat in higher HR zones, but it can take some time and discipline, the right nutrition plans and know how.

David Heatly's site Cycling-Inform can be a good source of info, but he's also one of those sites that will produce free publications loaded with drivel that requires you to pay up for a complete picture.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:02 PM   #2052
adz193
EL XR6

So... have been riding for a few month now on a friends borrowed road bike, and am loving it! Haven't ridden bikes since the old bmx days as a kid right up until I got my license then things changed very quickly as soon as I had a car hehe.

Have been looking at a specialized tarmac or trek domane... both can have either 105 or ultegra although i'm not sure a relatively new rider like myself would need the upgrade. But in saying that I don't want to be upgrading 12 months down the track. It will be used to supplement the running I already do, but also just for enjoyment as I miss just getting out on a bike and exploring. Any opinions would be welcomed on bikes i've mentioned or haven't mentioned, and drivetrain... Will be taking both for a test ride this coming weekend

Navy 97' EL XR8
Factory manual | Tickford kit | Pacemakers + Full exhaust
adz193 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2015, 11:33 PM   #2053
kazawaki
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by adz193 View Post
So... have been riding for a few month now on a friends borrowed road bike, and am loving it! Haven't ridden bikes since the old bmx days as a kid right up until I got my license then things changed very quickly as soon as I had a car hehe.

Have been looking at a specialized tarmac or trek domane... both can have either 105 or ultegra although i'm not sure a relatively new rider like myself would need the upgrade. But in saying that I don't want to be upgrading 12 months down the track. It will be used to supplement the running I already do, but also just for enjoyment as I miss just getting out on a bike and exploring. Any opinions would be welcomed on bikes i've mentioned or haven't mentioned, and drivetrain... Will be taking both for a test ride this coming weekend
Trek Domane is streets ahead in ride quality ,the Iso speed over the last 4 years has filtered to most models al beit in slightly different formats even the latest Madone has it as well as treks Pro caliber MTBikes.This system was researched and developed over many years.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:32 AM   #2054
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah, that's the same for me too. Definitely has nothing to do with my intake of donuts / muffins / cakes / coffee..

Nothing at all

Adz Whilst I'm not a trek fan at all (my issue, not yours) I can say that the difference between 105 and Ultegra isn't THAT big.. 105 is still a very capable groupset.

HOWEVER, you'll find that pretty quickly you'll want Ultegra, and if you're able to afford it right off the bat, then I say do that.

Poor man pays twice.

For me personally, I love Ultegra and some what snobbishly wouldn't go under that, however I also don't see the point in Dura Ace, so maybe I'm just a weird cat, and you can ignore me all together.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:35 PM   #2055
adz193
EL XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBourne View Post
Yeah, that's the same for me too. Definitely has nothing to do with my intake of donuts / muffins / cakes / coffee..

Nothing at all

Adz Whilst I'm not a trek fan at all (my issue, not yours) I can say that the difference between 105 and Ultegra isn't THAT big.. 105 is still a very capable groupset.

HOWEVER, you'll find that pretty quickly you'll want Ultegra, and if you're able to afford it right off the bat, then I say do that.

Poor man pays twice.

For me personally, I love Ultegra and some what snobbishly wouldn't go under that, however I also don't see the point in Dura Ace, so maybe I'm just a weird cat, and you can ignore me all together.
This was precisely my thinking, if the budget allows i'll go ultegra. Still have to buy some of the accessories as well so that will add to the cost. I have another friend who has a domane and he speaks highly of it, so am curious to see how they feel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazawaki
Trek Domane is streets ahead in ride quality ,the Iso speed over the last 4 years has filtered to most models al beit in slightly different formats even the latest Madone has it as well as treks Pro caliber MTBikes.This system was researched and developed over many years.
I've read that the specialized frame is a few years old, and have only read good things about the iso speed, but will go into both with an open mind when test riding

Navy 97' EL XR8
Old 06-11-2015, 09:13 AM   #2056
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

If you are talking full fit out of 105 v Ultegra etc. too remember this includes better brakes, shifters etc. a lot more than just a cassette
Old 07-11-2015, 07:13 PM   #2057
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Between 6800 Ultegra and 5800 105, there is stuff all different.
Mostly materials in which they are made and thus weight. I have bikes with both and to be honest I don't notice the difference. Label = Status.
Having said that I can see a difference in the quality of the cassettes, but between DA/Ultegra/105 11 speed cassette they can be easily and cheaply (except DA) and swapped out.
An ultegra 6800 cassette can be picked up for about $60.
(Don't fork out for a DA cassette the carbon cores break easily).

My advice. Go the 105 groupo then the best upgrade path is to Ultegra Di2 for about $1100. That's a difference you will REALLY notice.

Last edited by GTpilot; 07-11-2015 at 07:18 PM.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:24 PM   #2058
adz193
EL XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTpilot View Post
Between 6800 Ultegra and 5800 105, there is stuff all different.
Mostly materials in which they are made and thus weight. I have bikes with both and to be honest I don't notice the difference. Label = Status.
Having said that I can see a difference in the quality of the cassettes, but between DA/Ultegra/105 11 speed cassette they can be easily and cheaply (except DA) and swapped out.
An ultegra 6800 cassette can be picked up for about $60.
(Don't fork out for a DA cassette the carbon cores break easily).

My advice. Go the 105 groupo then the best upgrade path is to Ultegra Di2 for about $1100. That's a difference you will REALLY notice.
Thanks for your help! If budget allows i'll go ultegra that seems to be the general consensus from most people

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
If you are talking full fit out of 105 v Ultegra etc. too remember this includes better brakes, shifters etc. a lot more than just a cassette
That is true yes you make a good point! Took both the tarmac and domane out today (both with ultegra) and found the domane, a 58, to be not as comfortable in regards to sizing compared to the tarmac which was a 56 (both sizes suggested by shop workers doing a rough fit to me) Didn't feel as natural the position I was in on the trek for some reason. Could've been not the greatest fit but anyway.

Took it back and now have a emonda for the remainder of the loan, specialized went back at the end of today... Will see how it feels

Navy 97' EL XR8

Last edited by adz193; 07-11-2015 at 10:32 PM.
Old 07-11-2015, 11:37 PM   #2059
prydey
Rob

when i bought me bike in 2012 (cannondale caad8) all i could afford was tiagra.

i now have a 105 cassette as i couldn't seem to get a tiagra in a 11-28, only 12-28.

i got an ultegra chain to replace my kmc but apart from the branding (cassette and chain) i would be lying if i said it made a difference.

i've never ridden any other bike so can't comment on the brake/gear operation of the levers.

sounds like whichever way you go you will end up with a pretty nice bike.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2015, 12:12 AM   #2060
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adz193 View Post
Thanks for your help! If budget allows i'll go ultegra that seems to be the general consensus from most people

That is true yes you make a good point! Took both the tarmac and domane out today (both with ultegra) and found the domane, a 58, to be not as comfortable in regards to sizing compared to the tarmac which was a 56 (both sizes suggested by shop workers doing a rough fit to me) Didn't feel as natural the position I was in on the trek for some reason. Could've been not the greatest fit but anyway.

Took it back and now have a emonda for the remainder of the loan, specialized went back at the end of today... Will see how it feels
Go the Domane your riding for pleasure not medals.
Also some info on the current range of Shimano groupsets.

http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/...2016-road-bike
Old 08-11-2015, 12:50 AM   #2061
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

And now there's the tempting option of disc brakes Vs calipers....

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2015, 12:26 PM   #2062
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

If you want a comfortable ride Giant also do the Defy range, I got a Giant Defy Advanced 0 beginning of last year, have been pretty happy with it, definitely smooth riding and comfortable ergos with the advantages of carbon, Di2, etc. etc.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:46 PM   #2063
adz193
EL XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
If you want a comfortable ride Giant also do the Defy range, I got a Giant Defy Advanced 0 beginning of last year, have been pretty happy with it, definitely smooth riding and comfortable ergos with the advantages of carbon, Di2, etc. etc.
To be honest, I looked at the Giant range and walked out again... the dealer I visited had no prices on them, and couldn't have given less of a **** about me! I know that shouldn't taint a brand but it kind of did a bit... plus I wasn't all that wowed by the look of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
when i bought me bike in 2012 (cannondale caad8) all i could afford was tiagra.

i now have a 105 cassette as i couldn't seem to get a tiagra in a 11-28, only 12-28.

i got an ultegra chain to replace my kmc but apart from the branding (cassette and chain) i would be lying if i said it made a difference.

i've never ridden any other bike so can't comment on the brake/gear operation of the levers.

sounds like whichever way you go you will end up with a pretty nice bike.
Hopefully so, might as well go ultegra now me thinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTpilot
Go the Domane your riding for pleasure not medals.
Also some info on the current range of Shimano groupsets.

http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/...2016-road-bike
The domane just didn't feel comfortable for me, it really didn't! whereas the emonda (the same size) which I took out today felt great, even without isospeed. Pretty sure i've found a winner... plus I had a much better experience with the trek dealer then the specialized one. Will post once a purchase is made

Navy 97' EL XR8
Old 10-11-2015, 12:25 AM   #2064
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I could get flamed for this but im going to say it anyway.

I'll start out by saying that i ride my road bike here in Canberra around 100km a week, to and from work, i also ride my MTB bike at least twice a week. I noticed online all the hate at road bike riders and never really understood the hate from drivers until last week.

In Canberra we have a massive bike scene and everyone rides to the paths and when on the road everyone is courteous, never riding more than two abreast and if there is a shoulder we are riding on it, over to the far left if cars coming. I have never had an issue with a car while riding and when i am driving i have never had an issue with a rider. In general, it just seems we have embraced bikes here in Canberra and the bike riders don't abuse the freedom.

I have just spent the last week at home, the Yarra Valley in Victoria, visiting family before i go away overseas for work. I now completely understand the hate Victorian drivers give to bike riders down there. I have never in my life witnessed such selfish and dangerous riding. On the Maroondah Highway on the way to Healsville i had to drive passed riders riding 2-3 abreast in the middle of the road, they wouldn't even move over and ride on the shoulder. On the 2 more serious occasions there was around 20 cars banked up in a 100 zone doing 40 and unable to pass. Coming into Lilydale and through Croydon almost all riders do not ride on the shoulder, they ride about 1m off the white line in the lane. Is this normal practice down there? No wonder so many bikes get skittled in Victoria.

I am just amazed at the no care attitude of the bike riders i experienced, if it is a two lane road in a 100 zone and you are on a blind corner you are absolutely crazy to be riding off the shoulder, your literally asking to die. Even general road rules, here in Canberra you never see a bike run a red light, in Melbourne they are going through them all over the place.

Interested to hear your thoughts guys, i've only written this as i am truly gobsmacked and can now understand why riders get so much hate sometimes.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2015, 09:42 AM   #2065
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Without another car v cyclist debate, it is basically just courtesy and respect.

That's all.

Both sides need to play ball.

I'm in Sydney, so no idea about Melbourne riders, but I bet there are a million courteous riders for the bad bunch you saw. Just like there are a million courteous drivers for the few bad ones you see.

I actually just got off the phone to a guy at work, explaining my ride to / from work and he asked am I crazy? I said no, I just use roads where I know it won't cause issues. In return, I've never had an issue from drivers on my commute.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:40 AM   #2066
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBourne View Post
Without another car v cyclist debate, it is basically just courtesy and respect.

That's all.

Both sides need to play ball.

I'm in Sydney, so no idea about Melbourne riders, but I bet there are a million courteous riders for the bad bunch you saw. Just like there are a million courteous drivers for the few bad ones you see.

I actually just got off the phone to a guy at work, explaining my ride to / from work and he asked am I crazy? I said no, I just use roads where I know it won't cause issues. In return, I've never had an issue from drivers on my commute.
Yeh good call mate, as i said, never had issues in Canberra, it's why i ride so much here. I probably just saw melbourne on a bad week as i had never noticed it before. Now i'm going and sook in the corner knowing i dont get to ride for another 7 months
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2015, 11:52 AM   #2067
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
Yeh good call mate, as i said, never had issues in Canberra, it's why i ride so much here. I probably just saw melbourne on a bad week as i had never noticed it before. Now i'm going and sook in the corner knowing i dont get to ride for another 7 months
Get to a gym with a stationary trainer if you know you cant ride for that long. Spinning the legs at a gym is better than nothing I have found.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 10-11-2015, 12:15 PM   #2068
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:

I'll start out by saying that i ride my road bike here in Canberra around 100km a week, to and from work, i also ride my MTB bike at least twice a week. I noticed online all the hate at road bike riders and never really understood the hate from drivers until last week.

In Canberra we have a massive bike scene and everyone rides to the paths and when on the road everyone is courteous, never riding more than two abreast and if there is a shoulder we are riding on it, over to the far left if cars coming. I have never had an issue with a car while riding and when i am driving i have never had an issue with a rider. In general, it just seems we have embraced bikes here in Canberra and the bike riders don't abuse the freedom.

I have just spent the last week at home, the Yarra Valley in Victoria, visiting family before i go away overseas for work. I now completely understand the hate Victorian drivers give to bike riders down there. I have never in my life witnessed such selfish and dangerous riding. On the Maroondah Highway on the way to Healsville i had to drive passed riders riding 2-3 abreast in the middle of the road, they wouldn't even move over and ride on the shoulder. On the 2 more serious occasions there was around 20 cars banked up in a 100 zone doing 40 and unable to pass. Coming into Lilydale and through Croydon almost all riders do not ride on the shoulder, they ride about 1m off the white line in the lane. Is this normal practice down there? No wonder so many bikes get skittled in Victoria.

I am just amazed at the no care attitude of the bike riders i experienced, if it is a two lane road in a 100 zone and you are on a blind corner you are absolutely crazy to be riding off the shoulder, your literally asking to die. Even general road rules, here in Canberra you never see a bike run a red light, in Melbourne they are going through them all over the place.

Interested to hear your thoughts guys, i've only written this as i am truly gobsmacked and can now understand why riders get so much hate sometimes.
Without going too much into it, May I start with this.
I live in Melbourne and travel interstate fairly regularly for work.

Melbourne road users (all of them, no matter what mode of transport) me included, suck!!
Self centered, arrogant and full of their own self importance, basically you need to be to survive.

Add to this crap bicycle infrastructure, lack of knowledge (or care) of road rules and what you have is a recipe for disaster.

Maroondah highway has to be one of the worst roads for cycling around here. I won't ride it. Chances are the guys you see are exercising their right to ride two abreast because if they ride in single file, they will get buzzed constantly at high speed by arrogant drivers that don't care for their safety, only the time it takes to to reach their destination.

As a cyclist in this glorious city often you need to exercise your right to claim the lane for your own safety, roundabouts especially. By riding two abreast you often force passing drivers in to the mentality of using the other lane, thus give you space. You even make them slow down before they pass you. Not ideal, but it is what it is.

Cycling infrastructure here in the inner city leaves a lot to be desired, get to the outer suburbs and semi rural and its pretty much non existent. near me you have cycle lanes that are marked by a bicycle painted on the road with 3 or 4 dashes every few hundred meters. no marked lane. this on a 3 lane rd with ample room in the left lane for a fully marks lane this road gets quite a lot of cycle traffic too.

I always stick to dedicated bike paths where possible, Melbourne does have a lot of those, but they have their own hazards too....Loose dogs and old folk etc.

2c deposited without ranting
5 users like this post:
Old 11-11-2015, 11:45 AM   #2069
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I know most of this is road bike talk. But just wondering if any MTB'ers have heard of these mag lock pedals? I dont really wanna go SPD's im happy with my Shimano saints but i think it my be beneficial to go to something like these.
http://www.maglockbikepedal.com/stor...ike_Pedal.html
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2015, 08:50 PM   #2070
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:

Seems Canberra is not without issues either.
http://m.theage.com.au/act-news/tony...10-gkvu2x.html