Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-07-2015, 08:17 PM   #1921
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmobile View Post
I tilt my hat at Froome . Certainly, the best GC rider in this 101 edition of the TDF .. Although I applaud his cycling ability , I can't say the same for his position on the bike and the manner in which he guides his steer ..
It surprises me he hasn't run in the back of his team, or been clipped by a wayward spectator ?? I am sure he doesn't give a rats , about what I think .
Never mind , his the champion elect, and a so applaud his strength, courage and dedication . Bravo Froome ..
Fair call. Im not a big fan of his but I do respect his win. It's not entertaining at the least to watch. The attacks by Valverde, Contador, Quintana and Nibali made it worth watching. Without Porte there next year it will be interesting see if Geraint can step and take the lieutenant position with Froome.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2015, 08:26 PM   #1922
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
Fair call. Im not a big fan of his but I do respect his win. It's not entertaining at the least to watch. The attacks by Valverde, Contador, Quintana and Nibali made it worth watching. Without Porte there next year it will be interesting see if Geraint can step and take the lieutenant position with Froome.
I think that Lieutenant role will default to Wout Poles . He really stood up . I believe he is at the grasp of being a possible leader in the coming years . He can climb, TT , and is beginning to prove he can finish off grand tours ..
Batmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-07-2015, 08:30 PM   #1923
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
I think that Lieutenant role will default to Wout Poles . He really stood up . I believe he is at the grasp of being a possible leader in the coming years . He can climb, TT , and is beginning to prove he can finish off grand tours ..
That's possible. I thought Geraint looked stronger than Poels this tour though. But Poels could easily handle the role too.

Im looking forward to seeing where Porte ends up. Something tells me it could be him and Froome going toe to toe next year for the tour.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 26-07-2015, 08:43 PM   #1924
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That's possible. I thought Geraint looked stronger than Poels this tour though. But Poels could easily handle the role too.

Im looking forward to seeing where Porte ends up. Something tells me it could be him and Froome going toe to toe next year for the tour.
I certainly think Froome will stay with Sky , I couldn't think of any reason why he would leave .. Poels , in my opinion, isn't quite ready to take the captain's role , just yet! .. He certainly has the ability , and , could quite easily take on a captains role, in some of the tours , when Froome elects to miss.
Old 27-07-2015, 09:03 AM   #1925
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a wide grin this morning whilst consuming my Weetbix , as I read
'Froome , he rides his bike with all the style , or panache , if you will , of a Thunderbird puppet with broken strings' . The writer then goes on to say ' I had not expected that everyone in this year TDF could have been able to outclimb the little Columbian Quintana , but then again, he was still amazed everytime , Froome sits on his bike . Maybe , I am just easily amazed '.
I thought the writer this morning , pretty much summed up how I felted during this year's TDF ..
3 users like this post:
Old 27-07-2015, 11:16 AM   #1926
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
I certainly think Froome will stay with Sky , I couldn't think of any reason why he would leave .. Poels , in my opinion, isn't quite ready to take the captain's role , just yet! .. He certainly has the ability , and , could quite easily take on a captains role, in some of the tours , when Froome elects to miss.
um thats not what I meant. I meant that the since Porte was the right hand man of Froome (aka the lieutenant kind of role) that possibly Poels could take up his position now that Porte is leaving Team Sky. Froome will always be Captain, but looked upon Porte to be there at the times he needed the most.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 27-07-2015, 01:30 PM   #1927
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
um thats not what I meant. I meant that the since Porte was the right hand man of Froome (aka the lieutenant kind of role) that possibly Poels could take up his position now that Porte is leaving Team Sky. Froome will always be Captain, but looked upon Porte to be there at the times he needed the most.
Sorry - my bad ........Not sure , how I could have mistaken what you had said ? . Sorry again .. And yes , I agree , it will be make for excellent viewing , watching the two good friends - Froome and Porte going head to head in 2016 .. They will certainly go head to head in the TDF - and I wonder , what position they will take leading up to the Tour ?. As they know one another well , they will certainly know one anothers 'liked' events , and I wonder whether they will then avoid those 'liked' events and then choose to try their hand at another ?
Going to be interesting 2016 , as teams judge their troops , all in a bid to be successful at specific events ..
Old 27-07-2015, 06:14 PM   #1928
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Before Richie is a real Grand Tour GC contender he needs to work at his consistency. Thats something he lacks. He can last a week, but beyond that he has far too many "off" days.

I really hope him and Froome stay good mates and continue to train together. Richie needs it. Something though tells me that won't last given Richie's comments in his interview after the tour on SBS last night (this morning).
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2015, 12:18 AM   #1929
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTpilot View Post
Before Richie is a real Grand Tour GC contender he needs to work at his consistency. Thats something he lacks. He can last a week, but beyond that he has far too many "off" days.

I really hope him and Froome stay good mates and continue to train together. Richie needs it. Something though tells me that won't last given Richie's comments in his interview after the tour on SBS last night (this morning).
I missed the Porte interview . Can you recall what was said ?
Old 28-07-2015, 12:36 AM   #1930
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

They asked if Froome would be invited to train in Launceston with him again this year. (as they did last year) Ritchie's response was straight. "I don't think so, we're not on the same team anymore". Was a pretty quick response. Short and sharp.

http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral...e-Richie-Porte

Did anyone see the footage where Team Sky linked arms and Richie (next to Froome) got the wobbles and almost brought them down.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/racin...nce-win-184575

Last edited by GTpilot; 28-07-2015 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Added link to SBS interview
2 users like this post:
Old 01-08-2015, 07:11 PM   #1931
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

It's that time of the year, the tour is gone, tax has arrived, and I decided to waste a bit of money on bling for the bike!

I bought a set of 38mm Carbon rims, fitted 25mm Gatorskins and a 11-32t cassette. The extra teeth on the low gear means if I threw my full size cranks back on, it's pretty much the same gearing as what I had with the compact cranks i.e
34 chainring with 28t gives a ratio of 1.214
39 chainring with 32t gives a gear ratio of 1.218

I went for a ride today, after being sick of waiting for my flu symptoms to clear, and the wheels ride well, though I've been off too long to make a direct comparison. They only weigh maybe 300 grams less than the Shimano rims.

Unfortunately my Garmin didn't want to record the data, so I can't compare to the last time I went that route.

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them

Last edited by Captain Stubing; 01-08-2015 at 07:22 PM.
Captain Stubing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2015, 12:09 AM   #1932
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

So Richie is off to BMC. Great news. Heres hoping now Tj goes on a little Trek. ;-)
Old 02-08-2015, 12:12 AM   #1933
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
It's that time of the year, the tour is gone, tax has arrived, and I decided to waste a bit of money on bling for the bike!

I bought a set of 38mm Carbon rims, fitted 25mm Gatorskins and a 11-32t cassette. The extra teeth on the low gear means if I threw my full size cranks back on, it's pretty much the same gearing as what I had with the compact cranks i.e

I went for a ride today, after being sick of waiting for my flu symptoms to clear, and the wheels ride well, though I've been off too long to make a direct comparison. They only weigh maybe 300 grams less than the Shimano rims.

Unfortunately my Garmin didn't want to record the data, so I can't compare to the last time I went that route.
Looking good there Swanny!! What brand wheels are they?
Old 02-08-2015, 04:43 AM   #1934
BA Supa Pursuit

Apologise if it's already been mentioned but if you have Netflix, cycling doco "clean spirit" is a must watch. Great story about the giant /argon team in the 2013 tdf.

AU XR8 sedan, Tickford optioned body kit & wheels, Galaxy blue, auto, pedders suspension, mild cam, headers, full system. (Weekend ride)

Previous Fords:

BA mk2 FPV Super Pursuit, manual, Mercury, Herrod cams, shaker, di-fillipo system.

BA mk1 XR8 sedan, auto, silhouette, leather, premium sound, 18" speedy wheels, cat back system.

SX Territory, silhouette, 7 seats RWD.
BA Supa Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2015, 10:56 AM   #1935
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTpilot View Post
Looking good there Swanny!! What brand wheels are they?
The wheels aren't expensive enough for them to put a brand on... but I bought them from CarbonSpeedCycles.com. The hubs are Novatec (without the noisy pawls), and CSC build them in China.

1971 Fairlane 500
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
Old 02-08-2015, 03:18 PM   #1936
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Been raining here for a few days now but i wasnt gonna let that deter me although i probably should have.
I purchased a GoPro Hero and attached it to the top of my Forks

There was more water around than i anticipated but it didnt deter me, well it did in the end. Ended up like this.

Applying my decent car cleaning products to my bikes means it didnt get too dirty. I have some footage but my laptop is acting up and i cant even watch it but ill endeavour to get it to youtube, its not the best footage with water on the camera but you get the idea.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2015, 03:55 PM   #1937
prydey
Rob

yep, nothing quite like riding in the rain. we 'belgian'd up' here yesterday as well. being a road bike group, we didn't get home looking like that, but you still get pretty dirty. i run a '*** saver' mudguard, which at least stops you looking like a skunk.

its hard work riding in the cold and wet. glasses fog up, visibility is extra poor and you can't even wheelsuck the guy in front due to the spray....

wet season is nearly over here in adelaide, but now its the magpie's you have to watch out for. already been swooped a couple of times.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2015, 04:35 PM   #1938
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

It is hard, the constant rain and dirt slowed me a lot i couldnt really see a lot and the dirt didnt taste nice
One vid is uploading to youtube, its not the best due to water on the lens but you get the idea.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 02-08-2015, 07:58 PM   #1939
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Finally got my footage working.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKLuvQgPuJo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPMvpWfwStg
- Antz Turboside Intake
3 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2015, 08:47 PM   #1940
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

I can just imagine if you had to throw the bike into the back of the Focus and driving home like that!

1971 Fairlane 500
Old 02-08-2015, 09:06 PM   #1941
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

To say your tooling down a wet dirt track. That front tyre looks pretty clean!

I managed to pick up a Fly6 camera/tail light the other day $114 from Reid cycles.
Now to finally get back on the bike after (almost) getting rid of this pneumonia.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:07 PM   #1942
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
I can just imagine if you had to throw the bike into the back of the Focus and driving home like that!

That's why I bought a dodge.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:27 PM   #1943
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I went for a ride today, after being sick of waiting for my flu symptoms to clear, and the wheels ride well, though I've been off too long to make a direct
comparison. They only weigh maybe 300 grams less than the Shimano rims.

I hope you remembered to change the brake pads
Old 02-08-2015, 10:31 PM   #1944
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Hello , my GoPro is still in the box .. I haven't made up my mind whether to strap it to my helmet - side mount , or on the bars .. The guys I have ridden with on the road bike , have either strap it to the top of the bars , or rear stay.
What made you decide to mount it to the top of the forks ? Were you happy with the result ? . Would you consider to re- position it ? , if so, where ?
Old 03-08-2015, 11:20 AM   #1945
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny
Thats why i suffered and rode home lol, no way it or me was going in the car that dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTpilot
To say your tooling down a wet dirt track. That front tyre looks pretty clean!

I managed to pick up a Fly6 camera/tail light the other day $114 from Reid cycles.
Now to finally get back on the bike after (almost) getting rid of this pneumonia.
Yeah i was surprised, because as you can kinda see its pretty muddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmobile
Hello , my GoPro is still in the box .. I haven't made up my mind whether to strap it to my helmet - side mount , or on the bars .. The guys I have ridden with on the road bike , have either strap it to the top of the bars , or rear stay.
What made you decide to mount it to the top of the forks ? Were you happy with the result ? . Would you consider to re- position it ? , if so, where ?
I only have the mounts that came with it, i bought the bar mount aswell. Ill try mounting it to my helmet aswell. It mounts to the bars quite easily. I just chose the forks cause i could, im only light so it would take a lot for me to bottom out my forks as there is 140mm of travel.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 03-08-2015, 02:04 PM   #1946
prydey
Rob

I don't want to start a discussion on helmet laws, but before you mount your go pro to your helmet, bear in mind Schumacher might not be where he is currently if he didn't have a helmet mounted camera. It's not official but many experts say it could well be the cause.

As soon as you attach something to your lid you void all warranty as well.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-08-2015, 02:14 PM   #1947
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
I don't want to start a discussion on helmet laws, but before you mount your go pro to your helmet, bear in mind Schumacher might not be where he is currently if he didn't have a helmet mounted camera. It's not official but many experts say it could well be the cause.

Could not agree more. Just didn't want to start it. Best check with the manufacturer if the helmet can handle such an impact.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:57 PM   #1948
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post

Thanks mate I didn't know that. I won't do it now that I know.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 03-08-2015, 10:19 PM   #1949
290v
290v

One of the Guy's at my work here in Adelaide just got pulled over by the police for no number plate on the bike rake on the rear of the car he hasn't had a ticket in 30 Yrs of driving cost him just over $500.00 fine so make sure you have a plate visible
Old 03-08-2015, 10:55 PM   #1950
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

Ouch, $500? That's a bit harsh, but it's the law.

I paid $63 for an accessory plate, but they can still fine you if your taillights are obstructed.
gossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post