Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-04-2008, 05:12 PM   #151
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozza
yes - i saw a stock Maloo do a mid 13 or there abouts -

No wheelspin - Either he was launching it perfect and they were slow - or he wasn't launching hard enough

Why does a driver having a bad day with his ETs give you so much delight? Either it was a perfect launch as you say, in which case he shiould be congratulated or it wasn't which is also what you say, in which case it would be a hollow victory for the opponent, driver skill aside.

British Magazine Autocar 2006 1 mile London Airport

Mercedes McLaren SLR 282.7 km/h
Ford GT 280.4 km/h
Corvette Z06 268 km/h
Porsche Turbo 261.6 km/h
BMW M6 261.5 km/h
Holden (HSV) Maloo 258.7 km/h
Shelby Daytona Cobra 257 km/h
Bentley Flying Spur 253.2 km/h
Alpina B5 250 km/h

Last edited by Wally; 04-04-2008 at 05:21 PM.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 05:37 PM   #152
Mighty Reds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is no way a HSV Maloo is that close to either the Porsche 911 Turbo or Corvette ZO6.

Was it stock?.
Mighty Reds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 06:18 PM   #153
loltastic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Why does a driver having a bad day with his ETs give you so much delight? Either it was a perfect launch as you say, in which case he shiould be congratulated or it wasn't which is also what you say, in which case it would be a hollow victory for the opponent, driver skill aside.

British Magazine Autocar 2006 1 mile London Airport

Mercedes McLaren SLR 282.7 km/h
Ford GT 280.4 km/h
Corvette Z06 268 km/h
Porsche Turbo 261.6 km/h
BMW M6 261.5 km/h
Holden (HSV) Maloo 258.7 km/h
Shelby Daytona Cobra 257 km/h
Bentley Flying Spur 253.2 km/h
Alpina B5 250 km/h
I'm very dubious of those numbers. If you watch the following clip you'll see why.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/VideosWallp...AR=232030&CT=V

VE HSV gets stomped by new M3, Lexus ISF and Merc C63. 911 Turbo, M6 are both much faster cars than the BMW, Lexus and Merc.
loltastic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 09:04 PM   #154
Wally
XP Coupe

I guess you need to take up the dubious figures with Autocar magazine. I wasn't there.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:34 PM   #155
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Quad cams are not the future! They're actually older then OHV Pushrod technology, dating back to 1912 vs around 1917. There's nothing new about them. There's nothing 'better,' about them. They both use the same, limited capability, flawed, poppet valve design. Both have too many moving parts, consume too much oil, are too big, are too heavy and are easily replaced with camless technology like rotary valves. Century old technology being clung on-to by car manufacturers.
In terms of being used in cheap mass production vehicles, OHC is a lot newer technology. OHC might be older but say pre 80's only expensive supercars, racecars and expensive luxury vehicles used them. Now just about probably 95% of vehicles on the market use OHC's, so using that analogy is a little irrelevent from a mass use of technology point of view.

Camless technology may be the future but it sure isn't the present, the only things I can think of that uses this technology are F1 cars and maybe the Superbikes. I know either MB or BMW have been working on it for years but i'd imagine it will take a very long time before its viable for production due to durability and production costs. F1 engines only have to last around 1000km before they need a rebuild.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2008, 12:38 PM   #156
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_a_V8
And how much does a crate engine from AMG cost? Compare that to $6-$7k for an LS3 out the crate... BIG DIFFERENCE!

Its not all about tech tech tech! Pushrod is cost effective!

The LS3 in correct tune should be good for 330kw with still alot of room to move. Not this detuned 317kw crap. 330kw 6.2L LS3 for $6-7k out the crate compared to 378kw AMG engine for what? 20k+? The LS7 is cheaper than the AMG engine and again with an alright tune as seen in the CSV's its good for 400kw at the fly, if not more.
Compare the price of the W427 and the C63 AMG, they will sell for around the same price, the C63 is 139k, and the HSV is supposed to be over 130k, and then look at how much extra luxury equipment you would get in a C63, but then again the HSV is a bigger car.

The reason the AMG engine would be so pricey is that for the first time AMG have designed their own engine from the ground up that isn't just a modified MB engine like they had done in the past. The LS7 is just a modified LS2.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2008, 04:07 PM   #157
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
In terms of being used in cheap mass production vehicles, OHC is a lot newer technology. OHC might be older but say pre 80's only expensive supercars, racecars and expensive luxury vehicles used them. Now just about probably 95% of vehicles on the market use OHC's, so using that analogy is a little irrelevent from a mass use of technology point of view.

Camless technology may be the future but it sure isn't the present, the only things I can think of that uses this technology are F1 cars and maybe the Superbikes. I know either MB or BMW have been working on it for years but i'd imagine it will take a very long time before its viable for production due to durability and production costs. F1 engines only have to last around 1000km before they need a rebuild.
Pre 80s only expensive stuff had OHC?

Peugeot 205, Volkswagen Polo, Volkswagen Golf, a variety of crappy Jap economy cars etc etc. These all had OHC, either single or twin cam, in the 70s.

They're just as old as each other, both in inception and application.

Camless technology is very available and viable...

http://www.coatesengine.com

I'd love to get a hold of their 302... 260 -> 450hp with swap to CSRV. Spun 14,000rpm and was driven for 250,000 miles on the street to prove durability.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2008, 08:05 PM   #158
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Internal combustion is old too! New GT should Be a hybrid with 2 x Flux capacitors, powered buy peace of mind.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2008, 09:58 PM   #159
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

In MotoGP a couple of the teams have switched to pneumatic valves but are having some teething problems. The most successful of the motors is the Ducati donk with desmodromic valves, that system has a rocker to open the valve and a rocker to close the valve with no valve spring. (The street motors have a ****y valve spring to help keep things safe at really low rpm but they are junked for racing). The 990cc motors were making more than 250hp and the new 800cc donks I think are around 220-230 at the moment.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:08 PM   #160
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
330kw 6.2L LS3 for $6-7k out the crate compared to 378kw AMG engine for what? 20k+? The LS7 is cheaper than the AMG engine and again with an alright tune as seen in the CSV's its good for 400kw at the fly, if not more.
More like $75k+ for the AMG engine.
$20k would be lucky to buy you the base C-Class 1.8 Supercharged 4 cyl :
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2008, 10:29 PM   #161
mikestp
EF Ghia

any 1 else sick of holden 'borrowing' a bigger and bigger engine from chev each year in an effort to sell their cars?
mikestp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2008, 10:42 PM   #162
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Ford spares quoted me 17k for a new Boss 260.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2008, 10:47 PM   #163
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Pre 80s only expensive stuff had OHC?

Peugeot 205, Volkswagen Polo, Volkswagen Golf, a variety of crappy Jap economy cars etc etc. These all had OHC, either single or twin cam, in the 70s.

They're just as old as each other, both in inception and application.

Camless technology is very available and viable...

http://www.coatesengine.com

I'd love to get a hold of their 302... 260 -> 450hp with swap to CSRV. Spun 14,000rpm and was driven for 250,000 miles on the street to prove durability.
But isn't the advantage of OHC the ability to utilise variable cam timing thus improving performance? I don't know if there are any OHV motors with VCT??? Thanks for the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestp
any 1 else sick of holden 'borrowing' a bigger and bigger engine from chev each year in an effort to sell their cars?
Actually I don't mind, since it pushes Ford to do something about it. We the consumers are the winners. Due to this we can order a 290kW V8 or 270kW turbo for about $46k despite inflation... go back ten years and $50k was the asking price for an EL XR8 (185kW). Competition improves the breed hasn't been truer.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:59 PM   #164
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestp
Its all GM, just like Ford Aus borrowed the Windsor and Clevo from the US.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2008, 11:04 PM   #165
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
But isn't the advantage of OHC the ability to utilise variable cam timing thus improving performance? I don't know if there are any OHV motors with VCT??? Thanks for the link.
GMs 6.0L Vortec engine has VCT, it also has cylinder deactivation
http://www.chevrolet.com/pop/silvera...tec_max_en.jsp
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2008, 01:48 AM   #166
VZKOOP
Silhouette F6

Interesting thread - but as many have pointed out - totally useless until the new FPV is released. On the face of it and over the last few models HSV have had the car to beat. Prior to E-Series the HSV was fastest in a straight line and close to equal as f*&k is to swearing as a daily driver. The E-Series HSV's are streets ahead of the current offering from FPV. The only thing that FPV can claim as better is the A6. I must say I am blown away by how good the gearbox is in my F6 compared to the A6 I had in the Senator. But that is really the only thing I can honestly say is better.
Still it's all about the package, as others have said as well, and the new FPV may be able to gain that title back - we shall see.
VZKOOP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2008, 02:39 AM   #167
Need_a_V8

Quote:
Compare the price of the W427 and the C63 AMG, they will sell for around the same price, the C63 is 139k, and the HSV is supposed to be over 130k, and then look at how much extra luxury equipment you would get in a C63, but then again the HSV is a bigger car.

The reason the AMG engine would be so pricey is that for the first time AMG have designed their own engine from the ground up that isn't just a modified MB engine like they had done in the past. The LS7 is just a modified LS2.
The C63 is 336kw and $139,500. The W427 should be 125k, 130k max and has 370kw... The C63 may be luxury to the max, but there is plenty in the W427 to justify its price... Such as 385mm front rotors with 6 piston calipers...MRC suspension etc. But the argument isnt about what you get for the price, its what ENGINE you get for the price.

All Mercedes and AMG V8's will cost ATLEAST 4x what the LS3 will or ATLEAST 2x the price of the LS7.
Need_a_V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2008, 08:01 AM   #168
loltastic
Banned

Comparing a Holden to a Mercedes, in particular a C63 to a HSV is stupid. It's a bit like saying "why would I wanna have sex with a gorgeous lingerie model when my mum has the same bits, she'll do" It's about the quality boys. Sure your mum might be alright, but really. Come on.
loltastic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2008, 10:50 AM   #169
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
But isn't the advantage of OHC the ability to utilise variable cam timing thus improving performance? .......

No. The basic premis is that pushrod engines have a heavier valve train and therefore are inherently rev limited compared to an equivalent OHC. Pushrods also flex, so agressive cam profiles are limited. They are cheaper to produce (less head casting intricacies) and power limitations are corrected by increasing displacement.... which, although maybe no heavier or physically larger, does traditionally result in poorer fuel economy.

OHC does make multivalve application easier, which means the valve area to bore area ratios are potentially better and thus reciprocating mass lower with lower lift requirements. VE is better, specific power increases, redline increases, usable power range increases, etc.

OHC are generally taller, which can be a problem with centre of gravity making the engine lurch under heavy acceleration, but that's no biggy to solve using strut braces and engine restrainers.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:50 PM   #170
Angeldust

Quote:
The C63 is 336kw and $139,500. The W427 should be 125k, 130k max and has 370kw... The C63 may be luxury to the max, but there is plenty in the W427 to justify its price... Such as 385mm front rotors with 6 piston calipers...MRC suspension etc. But the argument isnt about what you get for the price, its what ENGINE you get for the price.

All Mercedes and AMG V8's will cost ATLEAST 4x what the LS3 will or ATLEAST 2x the price of the LS7.

cheapest 6.2 AMG is the CLK63AMG at $199,100 (Wheels dec 07)

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2008, 02:01 PM   #171
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:

Can't wait to see one these AMG beasts on our roads, it will be an absolute rocket!!

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2008, 02:02 PM   #172
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeldust
That's because the C63 is not out here yet.

:
Old 06-04-2008, 02:18 PM   #173
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeldust
The C63 is now on sale in Aus for (as stated above) $139,500, a relative bargain when you consider what you're getting for the cash...

6.2L DOHC V8
336kW@6800rpm
600Nm@5200rpm
7-speed AMG Speedshift
1730kg
360mm/330mm 6 piston brakes
0-100kph in 4.5sec
13.4L/100 fuel economy
plus all the usual Merc stuff

DMS Automotive here in Aus has already made a flash tune for the C63 which will take outputs to 366kW/660Nm...that's 211kW/tonne!!

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2008, 02:38 PM   #174
Aldo

Is this a very successfull april fools?
I just had a look at the dates of the first post.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:03 PM   #175
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

More stupid comparisons... the C class is a mid sized vehicle, if you want to compare similar sized vehicles then its the E class you should be comparing W427 stats with...
Oh.. its going to be more than 150k too..

Old 06-04-2008, 04:11 PM   #176
XR8putts

Theres nothing midsized about the C Class nowadays.

The comparison between the C63 and W427 is a valid one, but I can't believe there's anyone out there stupid enough to chose the latter one!

The C63 is pure horn and has everything you could ever want. The HSV is just a big engine in a still, very ugly body and with half the features.

My 2c worth anywho.
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2008, 04:44 PM   #177
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

HSV only need to find 100 people a year who want a large Australian 4 door sedan with above average premium performance and are willing to spend around 160K... i don't think its going to be a huge ask myself..

Old 06-04-2008, 04:48 PM   #178
Wally
XP Coupe

There was an article in the paper today that the 427 Commodore is a goer and will be hand assembled with a base cost $130k. They're expectimg to produce four a week.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:00 PM   #179
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Remember the mines are FULL of cashed up baby bogans.

Just check which are the biggest selling HSV dealers....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2008, 05:58 PM   #180
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by puts99
Theres nothing midsized about the C Class nowadays.

The comparison between the C63 and W427 is a valid one, but I can't believe there's anyone out there stupid enough to chose the latter one!

The C63 is pure horn and has everything you could ever want. The HSV is just a big engine in a still, very ugly body and with half the features.

My 2c worth anywho.
The C63 is just a car with a big engine. So is the W427's actual competitor, the E63 AMG. Remember, these are just German taxi's. They just have some kind of badge aura here...

: