Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-07-2012, 08:48 PM   #151
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Default Re: Car industry prepares for Ford Australia exit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Yet "medium" cars (sizeable to "large" cars) are doing well, as are large SUV's...

Its not large being a problem, its the use of space, and features/pricepoint.
I do think its a matter of perception ..... large cars are gas guzzlers, the smaller the better .... but ..... if you need a large car, might as well go all the way and get an SUV. Its not that large family cars are not wanted anymore. The large sedan has been replaced.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2012, 09:08 PM   #152
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
The large sedan has been replaced.
This.

Just look at arguably Australia's favorite large car of the last decade or so, it's sales are sliding just as bad. It's just they're starting from a higher total so it takes longer to get to the bottom..

A grwd, with more emphasis put on a modernized territory, plus ranger suv, and get one of the smaller cars built here as well.

Maybe fiesta/ terri built here, everything else imported. Plus all imports getting australised somewhat.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2012, 09:16 PM   #153
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Falcon hatch back.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2012, 09:16 PM   #154
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I have a Hunch that Holden fans are about to feel similar pain we Ford fans do looking at monthly sales..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2012, 09:18 PM   #155
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron
Large car sales are dead in Australia, Falcon, Commodore, Camry are sinking.
You can make the best ads the world has ever seen, have the most fuel efficient, feature laden large car on the market but they are out of fashion.

We may all get stuck into Fords advertising the Falcon, but what we don't know is what they do with the fleets where traditionally, 70% of Falcon sales come from. The Territory is advertised fairly consistently and we see it in the sales.
When choosing to spend money on advertising, Ford will almost certainly look at the ROI on the advertising spend and i'd suggest that constant, advertising (ala Territory) of the Falcon with it various power plants would not return as much on the spend as it does on the Terri/Fiesta/Focus hence we don't see much Falcon ads.

The Aus car market has exploded with choice over the last few years, the strong Aussie $$ has made the Euro stuff attractive and the likes of Hyundai and Kia have seriously lifted there game. Small cars are now larger and SUV's have taken the place of the family wagon, the Terri is the saving grace for the Ford Aus assembly line but that will will be long in the tooth come 2016.

The questions are, is there a need to replace the Falcon at all and if so, will it be built in Aus?

My view is there probably isn't a need to replace it and if it is, it will be imported. Either way, manufacturing for Ford Aus is sadly coming to an end.

Personally, as a life long Ford man and owner of 8 or so Falcons,I see the writing on the wall for our beloved machine and am looking forward to what Ford will introduce over the coming years. I'm certainly hoping on the Mustang at a reasonable price, ie Mustang GT and XR8 prices and/or the mooted AWD V6T Taurus suitably re-styled for Aussie tastes.

As Ford fans, perhaps if we accept the Falcon is no longer for these shores in it's current uniquely Aussie guise, we could start to discuss the future and what we would like to see in the showrooms, Ford reps reads these forums every now and again and perhaps positive future discussion may help to shape what they do, after all we all need a hero Ford we can buy/aspire too and carry the mighty Ford oval into the future down under

^^This

Spot
On
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #156
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Wages, taxes, land prices and anything else that isn't Ford doesn't belong in this thread.
================================================== ======
People are buying new cars as Auslandau posted above, last months figures were higher than same period last year, whats changed is the cars people are buying...

Here is some outstanding value love these limited edition bonus packs Ford bring out, Ute and Sedan - N/A and turbo available.
http://www.ford.com.au/svp/new-falco...NE_JUL_G11_FOA
stepping up
With a number of extra features and accessories,the Falcon XR6 Limited Edition takes the XR6 to a whole new level.

Falcon XR6 Sedan & XR6 Sedan Turbo Limited Edition Highlights

Additional features over the standard Falcon XR6 model
Interior

Leather trim seats
Reverse camera
XR carpet mats

Exterior

Unique 19” 10 spoke Alloy wheels
Unique exterior colour accents
‘Limited Edition’ badging

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW

Last edited by SpoolMan; 31-07-2012 at 09:29 PM.
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #157
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is an interesting article in the latest Wheels magazine, I wonder if anyone else here has read it?

Peter Robinson interviewed J Mays, Martin Smith, Moray Callum and Chris Svensson. Mays, Smith and Callum were all at Broadmeadows for a design review with Svensson.

A couple of interesting points;

The Broadmeadows studios has just recieved a massive renovation.
Since Svensson started in June 2010, the Australian design team has risen from 50-60 people to 160
And the last quote from Mays; "I dont think having a manufacturing plant has anything to do with whether we decide we are going to continue to engineer and design cars here or not"

Thats the future of Ford AU - design and engineering. I dont think there will be any manufacturing, it just doesn't make sense to build cars here.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2012, 09:41 PM   #158
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolman
Falcon XR6 Sedan & XR6 Sedan Turbo Limited Edition Highlights

Additional features over the standard Falcon XR6 model
Interior

Leather trim seats
Reverse camera
XR carpet mats

Exterior

Unique 19” 10 spoke Alloy wheels
Unique exterior colour accents
‘Limited Edition’ badging
Its funny how the things you think are a bit ****y when you first get them, then after constant use are near on irreplaceable?

When I got the GT with the reverse camera I couldn't get used to it and still just kept swinging the head around when reversing. Now, 12 months later I jump in the Mrs BMW and am absolutely lost without the damn thing. Its weird but feel unsafe, thinking I am going to run over something and feel I don't have the vision with just the head swing and rear view! It has become so second nature now to flick it into reverse and wait for the camera to turn on, then start reversing, without even thinking about it. Damn those euro BM things ...... I will never get another car without it.

Its not until you loose something when you appreciate what you have had ........ so ........ Buy a FALCON

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Auslandau; 31-07-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2012, 09:52 PM   #159
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
Just look at arguably Australia's favorite large car of the last decade or so, it's sales are sliding just as bad. It's just they're starting from a higher total so it takes longer to get to the bottom..
I believe Sportwagons cover 1 in 3 Commodore sales, take away that 30% and they would be struggling to do much more than Falcon is currently doing.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2012, 10:07 PM   #160
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
I believe Sportwagons cover 1 in 3 Commodore sales, take away that 30% and they would be struggling to do much more than Falcon is currently doing.
And that was my point in an earlier post. Holden have always been wiling to build the more niche style vehicles, even though by themselves it didn't make much monetary sense. But combine those sales with the regular sales and things look a lot better.
Old 31-07-2012, 11:18 PM   #161
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
Commodore (inc sportswagon) sales are no better than Falcon+Territory sales at the moment anyways.
It should be common sense, but no, people still isolate the Falcon sales. Do we need to start referring to it as the Falcon Territory wagon for people to see that sales of the two models together aren't that bad? Remember, Territory is effectively now the Falcon wagon.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2012, 11:30 PM   #162
nstg8a

But then you really need to add cruze to commodores tally.

Because what really matters is local assembly. Doesn't matter if they're turning out GT's or econoboxes, it's all keeping people employed.
Old 31-07-2012, 11:33 PM   #163
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
But then you really need to add cruze to commodores tally.

Because what really matters is local assembly. Doesn't matter if they're turning out GT's or econoboxes, it's all keeping people employed.
True.
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
I use & recommend:

Old 31-07-2012, 11:58 PM   #164
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Territory isn't a traditional wagon. a Sports wagon is...people who want a traditional wagon cann't buy one from Ford..
Old 01-08-2012, 12:05 AM   #165
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Territory isn't a traditional wagon. a Sports wagon is...people who want a traditional wagon cann't buy one from Ford..
Traditional?
The market is currently saying they don't want anything 'traditional'.
If they did, Falcon would be number one, followed by Fairlane.
Mods so far:
Mods to come:
I use & recommend:

Old 01-08-2012, 01:41 AM   #166
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yet "medium" cars (sizeable to "large" cars) are doing well, as are large SUV's...

Its not large being a problem, its the use of space, and features/pricepoint.
Its perception, FalComs are seen as large cars and they are out of fashion, replaced by SUV's. Sell them for the same price as a similarly equipped medium car and it still won't work.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2012, 02:08 AM   #167
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka100
Yep unfortunately for FOA the Fords that are coming out of the EU or USA ***** all over anything that's locally made ... and i'm pretty sure the parent Ford company is now in the process of planning phasing out all local outdated products and slowly evaluating importing a greater range of models ... after all if Ford actually had any positive news for the local market i'm sure they would be screaming out about it by now ...
This post right here is the problem. The Australian consumer is a retard.

He has long since been Americanised to hand over his cash for what the shepherds tells him he wants.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:31 AM   #168
RASER
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
As is Renault Latitude, comes in diesel,too!!
Is it genuine Made In France, or a Samsung Korean/Turkey made job?

The 508 Peugeot has a real quality interior, superior to anything from France in a long long time
RASER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2012, 08:34 AM   #169
RASER
Banned

Smile Re: Car industry prepares for Ford Australia exit

Quote:
What a surprise, Razor chiming in with his comments about how crap the Falcon and Ranger are, and how the f-150 needs to be sold here for a profit busting price of 30k...
Show me where i said the Falcon was c/rap?

The Ranger was mentioned as i already no that once the Falcon dies, and you want to buy a ute "sir, we have Rangers", thanks but no thanks.

It will be a Falcon, F150 or will go to the dark side and buy a Lion King brand.

Japper utes, been there, done that, do nothing for me.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:05 AM   #170
RASER
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra
Commodore (inc sportswagon) sales are no better than Falcon+Territory sales at the moment anyways.
It should be common sense, but no, people still isolate the Falcon sales. Do we need to start referring to it as the Falcon Territory wagon for people to see that sales of the two models together aren't that bad? Remember, Territory is effectively now the Falcon wagon.
At least the Lion King brand has a robust export program, something that FoA overlooked at its peril.

In less than 10 years time [how long will The General hang on for?], the mighty BigT[tm.F.0] wins, last manufacturer standing, and the one who has had by and away the best quality of any car manufactured here

The Camry Hybrids nice, the rest of the range does nothing for me
Old 01-08-2012, 10:05 AM   #171
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASER
Is it genuine Made In France, or a Samsung Korean/Turkey made job?

The 508 Peugeot has a real quality interior, superior to anything from France in a long long time
No its a Samsung car badged Renault..but the specs are way above Falcon for $35k.....Ford has never really increased the spec level on Falcon, compared to oversea cars....
Old 01-08-2012, 10:12 AM   #172
XWGT