Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 13-11-2009, 12:56 AM   #151
prydey
Rob

you honestly think performance comes into the equation for the majority of car buyers. a car enthusiast forum isn't a very good cross section of the buying public. 8 sec 0-100 times doesn't = failure. failure is when something doesn't work. AFM i would consider to be in the failure mould as it doesn't really deliver any benefits. the sidi engines promise to be more powerful and use less fuel and they do. early signs show they may not actually be ahead of the competition but they are early signs.

don't get me wrong, i'm a dyed in the wool ford fan but i try not to be one eyed.
Old 13-11-2009, 01:04 AM   #152
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
you honestly think performance comes into the equation for the majority of car buyers. a car enthusiast forum isn't a very good cross section of the buying public. 8 sec 0-100 times doesn't = failure. failure is when something doesn't work. AFM i would consider to be in the failure mould as it doesn't really deliver any benefits. the sidi engines promise to be more powerful and use less fuel and they do. early signs show they may not actually be ahead of the competition but they are early signs.
You are correct RE the performance issue. I realise the average schmuck wouldn't know the difference. Particulalry when 'upgrading' to a newer car everything feels so much better (think of a guy going from a VS to a VE SIDI....). BUT, you'd be surprised how easilly non-car people can tell your car has problems WHEN COMPARED TO CURRENT CARS. Every man and his dog has said in reviews of the cars that the 3.6 and 4.0 are quite close....the 3.0 while sprightly for its engine size/weight is noticeably slower. And more importantly, less responsive.

If the 3.0 SIDI models sell well because the average buyer doesn't know any different and don't test out competitors then good on Holden...MARKETING. The engineers dont' get no points. AFM is a failure as you noted because it lost both performance and didn't save any (or very little) fuel. While the SIDI may not be quite as bad, its really the same thing is it not?? (note the AFM failure was not recognise by the general buying public niether....)

Quote:
don't get me wrong, i'm a dyed in the wool ford fan but i try not to be one eyed.
are you implying i am prydey? I feel terrible....i always thought i was very impartial LOL!

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 13-11-2009, 07:59 AM   #153
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
the sidi engines promise to be more powerful and use less fuel and they do. early signs show they may not actually be ahead of the competition but they are early signs.

No, they promise 9.3L/km. Early signs show they do not. (I.E. fialure). This engine does not live up to what is promised IMO!!
Old 13-11-2009, 08:14 AM   #154
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
They are a failure in so far as they don't 'out engineer' (GMHs own words) their competitors. With a 0-100 time deep in the 8s and a fuel burn no doubt in excess of medium car competitors (plus higher rego) why bother.
What do you consider out engineering? A quick 0 - 100km/h time? Pleeease, anyone can build a quick car, but to build one that is reliable, can turn corners, put up with 300,000+km of mixed driving conditions and drivers and deliver decent economy requires a little more talent.

So obviously you have an engineering degree, what part of it doesn't out engineer it's competitors? From Holden's point of view, I would assume they're talking about the direct injection (Ford and Toyota do not have and are competitors) which has allowed them to reduce the size of the engine, increase power and reduce fuel consumption.

Quote:
You can the faster medium car contenders into the 8s (or low 9s) and they don't cost any more (less in fact) while still burnign less (esp around town...the only area the 3.0 SIDI benefits). Probalby handle better too after Holden put low grip tyres on it...... Holden market it as 'large car capability' for 'medium car running costs' which is bulldust because a key part of the 'large car capability' is grunt...not just so you can tow, and take the entire family but also because there are plenty of very good (and quite quick) medium cars already out there.
What a load of biased BS. You're comparing medium cars with far less interior and boot space with a large car, good going. Think about it, the Commodore is a large car, has a decent boot, can fit five people comfortably with more than enough power to get it around town and get decent fuel economy. While I am a fan of the Honda Accord and Mazda 6, fitting five in those cars and acheiving the same results isn't easy. Not everyone who buys these cars need to race to the lights, many of these are fleet hacks or family get abouts, want power that's what the LSx models are for and they can easily cater for that (the same with the Ford camp where the turbo and V8's can cater for this).

Quote:
Large cars are more than ever 'aspirational' purchases, with private buyers going after luxury/sports versions with the horsepowr to match the space. The VE is a fleet hack now and this 3.0 engine will only increase that situation.
WTF do you think the XT Falcon is? Nothing more than a fleet hack, Holden knows this and the only way to keep those fleet purchases is to increase economy, Ford have done the same with the 4.0 I6 and will be aiming for that with the I4T.

Quote:
Yes the engines are better than what they had before. But so what...their previous effort was a disgrace. I don't doubt that in some scenarios the 3.0 wll be quite frugal...easilly more frugal then its 3.6 brother and 4.0 Falcon. But equally there are scenarios where it doesn't benefit at all. Given its is a slug pretty much 100% of the time regardless (and it is....it is no faster than the omega model before it and no match for the large car market) its hardly a good trade off.
A slug? In comparison to what? You sir have no idea what you are talking about. Your immaturity and lack of market knowledge is certainly showing. The large car market consists of three cars, the Falcon, the Commodore and the Aurion, I think the Commodore stacks up ok with them.

Of course the engine won't be as frugal in some situations, just like any engine, the 4.0 litre I6 included. Both perform with these comprimises well though, both deliver good power, decent reliability and for their size good economy. Again performance for these cars isn't everything, that's what the V8s and the I6Ts are there for.

Quote:
The point of the ecoboost I4 engine going in falcon is that it won't be a huge drop off in performance versus the larger engine but still deliver real world savings. This 3.0 doesn't do that.....at least not enough. Numerous reviews are pointing out that the 3.6 cars on the same drive routes are matching the 3.0.....
No one has tested the I4T in a Falcon outside of Ford, so until then it is all theory.

Quote:
i woudl agree with this completely. Since VE launched you coudl pretty much right off the V6 versions because they were so uncompetitive. Now the 3.6 models are worthy of consideration. Too bad the rest of the car's issues have gone unaddressed....for now. The SV6 and XR6 are a hell of alot of car for the money and prove how good aussie car manufacturers have become....
Out of your whole drivel, the last sentence is the only decent comment.
The local cars are no way near perfect and have a long way to go but have in their current forms come a long way in the last ten or so years. Their latest iterations are the best yet.

Last edited by Wretched; 13-11-2009 at 08:27 AM.
Old 13-11-2009, 08:27 AM   #155
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
What do you consider out engineering? A quick 0 - 100km/h time? Pleeease, anyone can build a quick car, but to build one that is reliable, can turn corners, put up with 300,000+km of mixed driving conditions and drivers and deliver decent economy requires a little more talk
So you know that that the 3.0v6 is reliable when they have not been on the market long enough to accrue those sort of klms?
Old 13-11-2009, 08:28 AM   #156
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
You are correct RE the performance issue. I realise the average schmuck wouldn't know the difference.

!

More than average. I would say about 80% at least, going on market share and if you add in the entire ~10% Holden owners as you suggest and 50 % of Ford owners, that equates to ~95% of the population being schmucks = a marketer's dream.
Old 13-11-2009, 08:29 AM   #157
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo20btt
So you know that that the 3.0v6 is reliable when they have not been on the market long enough to accrue those sort of klms?
No, I don't and I never stated that now did I? I was generalising on what "out engineering" would consist of, i.e. more than just straight line performance.
Old 13-11-2009, 08:30 AM   #158
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
What do you consider out engineering? A quick 0 - 100km/h time? Pleeease, anyone can build a quick car, but to build one that is reliable, can turn corners, put up with 300,000+km of mixed driving conditions and drivers and deliver decent economy requires a little more talent.

So obviously you have an engineering degree, what part of it doesn't out engineer it's competitors? From Holden's point of view, I would assume they're talking about the direct injection (Ford and Toyota do not have and are competitors) which has allowed them to reduce the size of the engine, increase power and reduce fuel consumption.

What a load of biased BS. You're comparing medium cars with far less interior and boot space with a large car, good going. Think about it, the Commodore is a large car, has a decent boot, can fit five people comfortably with more than enough power to get it around town and get decent fuel economy. While I am a fan of the Honda Accord and Mazda 6, fitting five in those cars and acheiving the same results isn't easy. Not everyone who buys these cars need to race to the lights, many of these are fleet hacks or family get abouts, want power that's what the LSx models are for and they can easily cater for that (the same with the Ford camp where the turbo and V8's can cater for this).

WTF do you think the XT Falcon is? Nothing more than a fleet hack, Holden knows this and the only way to keep those fleet purchases is to increase economy, Ford have done the same with the 4.0 I6 and will be aiming for that with the I4T.

A slug? In comparison to what? You sir have no idea what you are talking about. Your immaturity and lack of market knowledge is certainly showing. The large car market consists of three cars, the Falcon, the Commodore and the Aurion, I think the Commodore stacks up ok with them.

Of course the engine won't be as frugal in some situations, just like any engine, the 4.0 litre I6 included. Both perform with these comprimises well though, both deliver good power, decent reliability and for their size good economy.

No one has tested the I4T in a Falcon outside of Ford, so until then it is all theory.

Out of your whole drivel, the last sentence is the only decent comment.
The local cars are no way near perfect and have a long way to go but have in their current forms come a long way in the last ten or so years. Their latest iterations are the best yet.

Mate, out of all the contributors to these forums Swordsman88 is one of the most even handed, thoughtful and insightful who weighs up both sides of an argument before contributing.
I think you need to discover what transference is and target your faux rage on someone a little more myopic in their views.
In other words, your attempt at cutting Swordsman88 down to size is like the Holden SIDIDIDIDIDI engines; Epic Fail.

Quote: