Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #151
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Default Re: Ford assumes sole responsibility for FPV

I would suggest that IF the Australian Falcon is no more ....... so would be FPV. One cannot be without the other. Ford has there own divisions to take care of the other makes and are more established world wide (One Ford) and FoA will not have a division to sell opposite these ...... Not fact but is the way it is.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #152
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
So does this mean that Miami ended up killing Prodrive in the end?
No. It is the Ford 'drivetrain made of cheese' which prevented FPV from releasing the Miami at it's full potential. The cheese quote was told to me by a Prodrive engineer (CF).
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2012, 09:55 PM   #153
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
I would suggest that IF the Australian Falcon is no more ....... so would be FPV. One cannot be without the other. Ford has there own divisions to take care of the other makes and are more established world wide (One Ford) and FoA will not have a division to sell opposite these ...... Not fact but is the way it is.
Actually I would tend to disagree with this Dave.

SVT are the septic version of FPV. If/when the incumbent falcon is completed there will be a replacement product of some kind and there is no reason why an Australian performance version could not be developed.

The concept of "one platform" works in both directions. RHD Mustangs and all the other current and future LHD products theoretically would be available.

If there was a RHD 4 door mustangesque vehicle available would that not be suitable for the Falcon marque in that the original Falcons were exactly that?

While Falcon is an Australian legend, we did not invent it.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2012, 10:23 PM   #154
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

But ............... if we do (little bit fingers crossed ) ....... get the Mustang we should also have available all SVT, or even Shelby derivatives that go with it. I could not see FoA having the capacity, or wanting to be doing what they would be doing overseas anyway. I could see someone like Herrods taking up the slack, if any, and doing their own private thing. Same goes with Fiesta through to whatevers. Way even more so now that Ford will own 100% of FPV.

Australia didn't invent the Falcon, correct, but we definitely did re-invent it and made it our own.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Auslandau; 31-08-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2012, 10:48 PM   #155
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
But ............... if we do (little bit fingers crossed ) ....... get the Mustang we should also have available all SVT, or even Shelby derivatives that go with it. I could not see FoA having the capacity, or wanting to be doing what they would be doing overseas anyway. I could see someone like Herrods taking up the slack, if any, and doing their own private thing. Same goes with Fiesta through to whatevers. Way even more so now that Ford will own 100% of FPV.

Australia didn't invent the Falcon, correct, but we definitely did re-invent it and made it our own.
Well probably not actually. SVT/Shelby would have to get ADR complied and to them, I suspect, it would not be worth the effort.

There are single dealers in USA who sell more Mustangs in a year than the whole FPV production.

In the big picture we can be ostriches and stick our head in the sand, be chicken littles and cry about the falling sky or just have faith.

Faith is belief and I believe that Ford will continue to make vehicles that I want to buy after 2016. If I am wrong then I will worry about it in 2017......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2012, 10:54 PM   #156
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Bloody ADR's...are we syncing with a global standard anytime soon? I recall ADR's actually being greater than other standards in some cases but generally it seems like a PIA.

I mean really...we have better standards than the rest of the world? Australia is really no different to any other country..maybe durability is different but that has little in common with safety/enviro standards.

Flappist I would suspect any global Mustang would have much more than Australia in its sights...so like other global cars its R&D'd to meet and exceed all requirements in all countries. No point developing it to a point where you still have to heavily localise it.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2012, 10:58 PM   #157
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron
Granted we did stray a little but with all due respect, this discussion should not be limited to the Falcon as we are discussing FORD Performance Vehicles and its future.

Given that the Falcon almost certainly has a limited lifespan, in the near future (if not now) Ford need to plan the medium to longer term future of FPV, it could very well be that the other models in the FOA lineup become integral to FPV.

The Focus ST is an obvious choice to move into the FPV stable, it's been mooted that FPR are looking at a racing version of the Mondeo, and an FPV performance tie in might well be on the cards
FPV have always said they will not do FPV versions of vehicles unless they are locally made, and able to be modified by them after they have essentially been built minus specific FPV parts.

They will not put FPV badges on vehicles they have no input in modifying, nor will they take foreign made vehicles that are fully built up and strip them and add specific FPV parts. That will continue now, Ford have already switched from their Oz specific naming (XR5) to the global name for Focus (ST). They are global vehicles now, the same spec and set up right across the globe, there is no modifying done to suit local markets. That rules out FPV branding right there.

FPV learnt their lessons in the Tickford days with Mustang.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2012, 10:59 PM   #158
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Phoar the Mustang is a long bow...that wasnt exactly a tuning exercise.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2012, 11:55 PM   #159
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Phoar the Mustang is a long bow...that wasnt exactly a tuning exercise.
Still took a fully built car, stripped it and fitted their own parts. Not cost effective to do so, essentially building some parts of the car twice.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:03 AM   #160
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Still took a fully built car, stripped it and fitted their own parts. Not cost effective to do so, essentially building some parts of the car twice.
A lot of that was due to the cars not being factory RHD builds and the need to crash test two cars
across only 500 Mustangs, the whole localization project added nearly $20,000 per car
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2012, 02:08 AM   #161
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
In the big picture we can be ostriches and stick our head in the sand, be chicken littles and cry about the falling sky or just have faith.

Faith is belief and I believe that Ford will continue to make vehicles that I want to buy after 2016. If I am wrong then I will worry about it in 2017......
this.

speculation about what 'may' or 'may not' happen doesn't do anyone any good. promoting products that are here and now is much more beneficial. it may even have a positive knock on effect.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2012, 02:52 AM   #162
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
FPV have always said they will not do FPV versions of vehicles unless they are locally made, and able to be modified by them after they have essentially been built minus specific FPV parts.

They will not put FPV badges on vehicles they have no input in modifying, nor will they take foreign made vehicles that are fully built up and strip them and add specific FPV parts. That will continue now, Ford have already switched from their Oz specific naming (XR5) to the global name for Focus (ST). They are global vehicles now, the same spec and set up right across the globe, there is no modifying done to suit local markets. That rules out FPV branding right there.

FPV learnt their lessons in the Tickford days with Mustang.
Given that Prodrives reason for being is to modify manufacturers cars, I can see why FPV would have said this however, FOA own the brand now therefore they are not constrained by this, they can simply rebadge any performance Ford FPV.

Did Ford buy Pro drive out for the short term stability of FPV and intend to drop the brand after the Aussie Falcon is no longer
OR
Do they intend keeping the brand?

If its the latter, then they almost certainly have no option than to source other models.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2012, 07:50 AM   #163
gtp Pete
Starter Motor

Whatever happens, I would like to thank prodrive for their efforts in getting us to where we are today. Without them I may not have had the pleasure of owning a supercharged car like the 335 gtp. THANKYOU.
gtp Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2012, 08:10 AM   #164
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Maybe what Ford should/could do is put money into herrod as an Official-After-Market opererator. This is something written in all the mags that FPV wanted to do just before their demise
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2012, 08:31 AM   #165
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtp Pete
Whatever happens, I would like to thank prodrive for their efforts in getting us to where we are today. Without them I may not have had the pleasure of owning a supercharged car like the 335 gtp. THANKYOU.
Well said. I know it probably won't happen but if FPV got a hold of the forthcoming Mondeo/ Fusion..call it what you will, and released a high boost, better handling package that would be a FPV with proper world class technology and decent fuel efficiency and more importantly is something customers can have confidence will be around for the long haul.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #166
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here’s a silver lining for you. Now that Ford owns FPV 100%, at least Ford is now officially TV advertising the Falcon!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #167
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorya
Maybe what Ford should/could do is put money into herrod as an Official-After-Market opererator. This is something written in all the mags that FPV wanted to do just before their demise
No thanks! DJR would be much nicer
Old 01-09-2012, 09:31 PM   #168
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron
Given that Prodrives reason for being is to modify manufacturers cars, I can see why FPV would have said this however, FOA own the brand now therefore they are not constrained by this, they can simply rebadge any performance Ford FPV.

Did Ford buy Pro drive out for the short term stability of FPV and intend to drop the brand after the Aussie Falcon is no longer
OR
Do they intend keeping the brand?

If its the latter, then they almost certainly have no option than to source other models.
I think its the opposite, Ford are similarily constained as Prodrive were. One Ford has basically irradicated local variations of global cars. Hence why the new Focus ST is essentially the same car right across the globe bar RHD/LHD. I doubt wether they would even be allowed to do an FPV Focus, because One Ford is supposed to remove this product duplication. And either way a hotter Focus will be an RS anyway, no need for an FPV version.

I think its in FPV's brand statement that they only fit FPV badges to vehicles with significant input from FPV themselves, they don't do re-badging.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #169
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 Concorde
No thanks! DJR would be much nicer
What's the difference, DJ and Rob Herrod are friends anyway and Herrod Motorsport had a hand in the DJR 320.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2012, 02:51 PM   #170
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
What's the difference, DJ and Rob Herrod are friends anyway and Herrod Motorsport had a hand in the DJR 320.
Herrod done the lot all the enhancements on the DJR 320, I seen one stripped to bare shell as one customer wanted there own color..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #171
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
I think its the opposite, Ford are similarily constained as Prodrive were. One Ford has basically irradicated local variations of global cars. Hence why the new Focus ST is essentially the same car right across the globe bar RHD/LHD. I doubt wether they would even be allowed to do an FPV Focus, because One Ford is supposed to remove this product duplication. And either way a hotter Focus will be an RS anyway, no need for an FPV version.

I think its in FPV's brand statement that they only fit FPV badges to vehicles with significant input from FPV themselves, they don't do re-badging.
Mulally brought back the Taurus name because he knows what value an established name can have. If it's going to be one Ford. Then I'm sure that for our market, FPV badging or subtle labelling (like SVT do) would be acceptable.

Hell a tuned local ST, (more power and Aussie suspension tweaks) and FPV stickers could command a $5k price above the standard.

I however am also in favour of Ford Falcon GT over acronym soup.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #172
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Keep the FPV badges on Falcons, not Euros.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:48 PM   #173
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

But what about when the Falcon is no more - at least as a locally built RWD car. What will Ford do with FPV then? Disband the whole operation 4 years after taking control? Or make some changes to the FPV philosphy and use the cars that are available?

Obviously Ford know the answer to this, but we'll have to wait a while yet to find out.

And like Flappist said, you would have to expect Ford to continue to build desirable cars to the enthusiast post 2016. It would be a fairly big backflip on a lot of history if they dont.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #174
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's what I am saying tranquilized mate.

The way I see One Ford is about having one design in each category across the world, what badge sits on it is irrelevant.
For instance, if FOA believe the Falcon nameplate still has value, fits with their strategic plan and they bring in the Taurus, then badge it as a Falcon.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #175
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Theyre moving the engine line to Geelong and building the cars up on the assembly line. They're disbanding FPV anyway!
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2012, 09:22 PM   #176
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Nice to see Carsguide sticking to their usual bull****.

Got an email newsletter from them today with the headline- FPV collapse a nail in Falcon coffin.

What a bunch of f wits.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #177
RASER
Banned

I smell a rat

Its all in the master plan, the Poms/Prodrive know Ford are going to shut manufacture, so they blinked first and left town.

Its Mr.Graziano's way of slowly winding down manufacture of Falcons in Oz, [notice how all the models are getting killed off] get over it, they had a very very good long innings [when the GovCo protected them with insane high tariff protection]

Now the level playing field is showing them they are out of there depth
RASER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #178
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASER
I smell a rat

Its all in the master plan, the Poms/Prodrive know Ford are going to shut manufacture, so they blinked first and left town.

Its Mr.Graziano's way of slowly winding down manufacture of Falcons in Oz, [notice how all the models are getting killed off] get over it, they had a very very good long innings [when the GovCo protected them with insane high tariff protection]

Proabably TRUE

And the fact that FORD have realised that its time they just imported their performance models - turn key almost with some minor adjustments for local market. Spending big $$$$ to locally engineer performance products for a niche market just doesn't cut the mustard anymore........sad but true....especially at the prices we all expect. Coupled with the fact that the platform that is being used as the surrogate for the main product is on its way out - I reckon they had no choice really. It was great while it lasted.

Going forward ....FOA should find a way to whack the remaining 5.0 Supercharged engines into a Fiesta..................
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2012, 08:53 PM   #179
prydey
Rob

Quote:
I smell a rat

wipe your chin mate. do some research for a change instead of dribbling that crap. have a look at what other countries do to protect their own local industry.

also, as posted by someone who should know (in another thread), why would ford throw away 1-2 billion in revenue from the local products? how much does the imported stuff generate??

planet earth hey? i don't think so.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2012, 09:21 PM   #180
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I smell a rat

You realise that for a country with its own automotive manufacturing industry, we have the lowest import tarriffs of any country?
Level playing field my ****...
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post