Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 15-11-2010, 01:45 PM   #151
El Venom
normality is boring
Donating Member1

My peeve is people who cant do the speed limit. Where I live there are only 2 speed zones, 50KM/h in towns and 100km/h everywhere else. People out here feel the need to drive at 70 in the 100 zone so you over take them to do 100km/h but when you get to a town and slow down to do the speed limit they dont slow down and then ride your ***.

Factory v8 with turbonetics 67mm turbo, haltech ecu, aeromotive and raceworks fuel system, cobra intake and a few custom bits thrown in
Old 15-11-2010, 02:42 PM   #152
grey_esp
Greys tuf too :-)

this may have been said, I didnt read all 6 pages. But people who drive at say 90 in a 100 or a 110 zone but then when you get to the 60 zone they will happily cruze through at 70 or 80. The reason the limit is reduced is because its a high conflict area if your going to go 20km over the limit do it in the 100 or 110 zone where the roads are designed for higher speeds and have less conflict zones.

and pulsating drivers. Seriously, pick a speed and stick to it, its not that hard.
Old 15-11-2010, 03:09 PM   #153
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx
Correct. You always indicate Left to exit a round about, no matter where your entered. This includes going straight across. No signal when entering but indicate left as you leave. It appears AFF is not immune to incorrect roundabout practises.
Not in Victoria.
Old 15-11-2010, 03:29 PM   #154
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta God
Not in Victoria.

False, please give your license back.

taken from the Road Rules of Vicroads website

"Going straight ahead
If there are multiple lanes, approach the roundabout in the left or right lane. Drive in the same lane through the roundabout. Do not signal on your approach to the roundabout, but if practicable, signal left as you exit."

EDIT: "If practical" imply s the roundabout is only a mini-roundabout in which indicating time is vastly shorted between passing a left exit, and reaching the straight ahead exit. Either way if your dont have time to flick the little lever attached to the steering wheel before you exit, you are going to fast.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

Old 15-11-2010, 03:41 PM   #155
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Not in Victoria.
No wonder I crack it at people who don't indicate out of a roundabout. It's a bad habit bought here by the bloody Mexicans.

Also, another while I dropped my wife at work this morning:

- Two lane road turning into three lane, someone comes out into the newly created 3rd lane and stops DEAD because they wanna get over into the far right lane. There is more than one way to get to your destination.
Old 15-11-2010, 03:50 PM   #156
KYSBF

Got to have a bit of a chuckle at most of the comments on this one.
100km/h is the maximum allowable speed, not the target you need to get to. Seems as though there would be a few road ragers on here by the tones.

But anyway, my major peeves -
tools thrashing their vehicles around residential areas (next door neighbour is a prime example, this joker has a child about 3, sister has a baby and he MUST do a skid in his sick Stato everytime he goes anywhere and tear off down the street)
drivers who stay on highbeam, day or night
tailgaters
Old 15-11-2010, 03:51 PM   #157
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
All drivers who refuse to care about anyone else on the road but themselves.
That is a very bold statement
Old 15-11-2010, 04:03 PM   #158
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Indecisive drivers.... I call them the "Will he/she? or wont he/she?"
Typically they lack confidence on the road and this can be seen when changing lanes.
They indicate for 5mins, slow down, thus enraging everyone, then are too scared to change lanes as they arent confident enough to change lanes as the next car which is some 500meters away may catch up to them.... or in heavy traffic they indicate and try and change lanes 4 or 5 times and each time they change their mind despite people giving them a chance to change lanes.

Drivers who turn around to talk to the back seat passengers (very common in the younger generation!)

Those who throw their ciggies out the window, or maccas wrappers....

Drivers who go through roundabouts at high speed, even when turning....

Ignorant morons who que across rainlines, or who beep their horn at you when you dont que across rail lines!

Drivers who que across intersections causing traffic jams..

Drivers who dont move when the lights turn green because they are busy talking to their passenger behind them, or talking on the phone..

Drivers who tailgate you even when your speeding!

Morons who drive on the inside of a turning semi-trailer and then hurl abuse at the truckie for almost running them over...

Drivers who hurl abuse at buses for "pulling out" in fromt of them from the kerb...how dare they!

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 15-11-2010, 04:03 PM   #159
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx

False, please give your license back.

taken from the Road Rules of Vicroads website

"Going straight ahead
If there are multiple lanes, approach the roundabout in the left or right lane. Drive in the same lane through the roundabout. Do not signal on your approach to the roundabout, but if practicable, signal left as you exit."

EDIT: "If practical" imply s the roundabout is only a mini-roundabout in which indicating time is vastly shorted between passing a left exit, and reaching the straight ahead exit. Either way if your dont have time to flick the little lever attached to the steering wheel before you exit, you are going to fast.
Learn something new everyday.

Never been advised to do this by any of the three driving instructors I had, or the Vicroads licence tester during a test which involved no less than 4 roundabouts.

Hardly ever observe anyone in Victoria do it.

To me, if you approach a roundabout, you indicate in the direction you wish to exit - e.g. if you wish to turn left, you indicate left BEFORE you reach the roundabout. If you wish to proceeed straight ahead, you do not indicate at all. If you wish to turn right through the roundabout, you indicate right BEFORE you reach the roundabout.

And you ALWAYS make sure you are in the correct lane before approaching a roundabout - i.e. left from left lane, right from right lane.

These are the rules I have always observed. I lived in Qld for a period, and people used to indicate seemingly in the opposite direction to which they intended to travel.
Old 15-11-2010, 04:35 PM   #160
Cooper69S

Quote:
To me, if you approach a roundabout, you indicate in the direction you wish to exit - e.g. if you wish to turn left, you indicate left BEFORE you reach the roundabout. If you wish to proceeed straight ahead, you do not indicate at all. If you wish to turn right through the roundabout, you indicate right BEFORE you reach the roundabout.
I suppose the reason the indicating on roundabouts laws are there is to indicate your intentions while on the roundabout, especially on large ones where people on one side might not see how you were indicating while approaching the roundabout.
Also if someone wants to go full circle on the roundabout (effectively a u-turn) then at least people will know what they're doing.

I recall this being introduced in WA about 10 years ago with the introduction of supposedly uniform-across-all-states Australian Road Rules. Was the same time that the law to keep left unless overtaking was changed to 90kmh+ instead of the previous 80kmh+.
Old 15-11-2010, 06:31 PM   #161
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

Never been advised to do this by any of the three driving instructors I had, or the Vicroads licence tester during a test which involved no less than 4 roundabouts.

And you ALWAYS make sure you are in the correct lane before approaching a roundabout - i.e. left from left lane, right from right lane.

These are the rules I have always observed. I lived in Qld for a period, and people used to indicate seemingly in the opposite direction to which they intended to travel.
Absolutely, glad I'm not the only one.
Old 15-11-2010, 06:45 PM   #162
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Not in Victoria.
If you had read post #112 on page 4 before posting you may have realised that this is law in Vic and has previously been covered.
Old 15-11-2010, 06:48 PM   #163
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:

Your indicating prior to the roundabout is spot on, you just left out that you begin to indicate left to exit at the exit 90 degrees prior to your exit.
Old 16-11-2010, 12:44 PM   #164
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In the semi rural areas of Sydney.
A driver traveling just under the speed limit, who is aware of you in their rear-view mirror.
Unknown to you, in about a kilometre they are about to turn into their driveway.
In an effort to communicate to you their intention to turn they slowly drop their speed, and when they are finally traveling at about 25kmph they indicate left.

If you want to tell me that you are turning left - use your left indicator !
... drive normally, and then indicate before you need to brake.

Some may disagree here, bit I believe that in almost every circumstance it is appropriate to indicate before you brake.
Old 16-11-2010, 03:44 PM   #165
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG
Some may disagree here, bit I believe that in almost every circumstance it is appropriate to indicate before you brake.
pretty sure that is the correct procedure. i don't think its law as such but it is how you are taught to drive. same with checking mirrors before braking.
Old 16-11-2010, 08:13 PM   #166
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG
In the semi rural areas of Sydney.
A driver traveling just under the speed limit, who is aware of you in their rear-view mirror.
Unknown to you, in about a kilometre they are about to turn into their driveway.
In an effort to communicate to you their intention to turn they slowly drop their speed, and when they are finally traveling at about 25kmph they indicate left.

If you want to tell me that you are turning left - use your left indicator !
... drive normally, and then indicate before you need to brake.

Must live in a similar area.
On the roads out in the Hawkesbury ... I indicate well before i get to my driveway ... as I live on a fast-ish piece of country road really ... and people fang along that road as well.

One thing I have issues with out my way is people blindly cut onto the wrong side of the road cos they are lazy ... on blind bends as well. I have had a few close calls where lazy people have nearly hit me head-on.

If you can't stay on your own side of the road on a bend ... you are either too lazy and want to die ... or you are driving too fast for your own abilities on that piece of road.
Old 16-11-2010, 08:16 PM   #167
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Another pet hate. Whinging inpatient motorists, who carry on, because you're driving slowly down a street, looking for a street sign or house number which isn't easily found, especially at night. Then they have the gawl to whinge about it.

Perfect example. I do road service work and I quite often get callouts at night. (Got to earn a crust somehow). I drive along, looking for street signs and in some cases, they either don't exist, or the street name is painted on the gutter. Once the street is found, then you've got to drive slowly, searching for house numbers, as everyone puts then in a different position on their house. Then you get arrogent idiots screaming at you, because you're driving slowly, looking for street signs, or house numbers, as well as concentrating on your surroundings so you don't smack into a car, animal, or human being, all because they're too impatient.

I'm sure I'm not the only one on here that strikes those sorts of situations. For those that want to whinge on the forum about it. How about you put yourselves in the same situation. Some of us have do to it just to earn a dollar

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 16-11-2010, 08:59 PM   #168
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
Another pet hate. Whinging inpatient motorists, who carry on, because you're driving slowly down a street, looking for a street sign or house number which isn't easily found, especially at night. Then they have the gawl to whinge about it.

Perfect example. I do road service work and I quite often get callouts at night. (Got to earn a crust somehow). I drive along, looking for street signs and in some cases, they either don't exist, or the street name is painted on the gutter. Once the street is found, then you've got to drive slowly, searching for house numbers, as everyone puts then in a different position on their house. Then you get arrogent idiots screaming at you, because you're driving slowly, looking for street signs, or house numbers, as well as concentrating on your surroundings so you don't smack into a car, animal, or human being, all because they're too impatient.

I'm sure I'm not the only one on here that strikes those sorts of situations. For those that want to whinge on the forum about it. How about you put yourselves in the same situation. Some of us have do to it just to earn a dollar
Heres the way it seems to work, if youre the driver stuck behind, the guy slowing down is an idiot and rude. If youre the guy driving slowly, then its the guy behind who is an idiot and rude.

It's what happens when drivers decide the road rules, the uniform set, are stupid and decide to make up their own versions. Not saying youre, as in you, just in general.
Old 16-11-2010, 09:22 PM   #169
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Noise
That just about cuts it for me too.

I’ve made a short clip with some things that really peeve me.

Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtHzaeTpYB0
Observation, motorway class roads in vid;
We really need to NOT end the left-lane when dropping one, instead we should be ending the RH lane.

That then encourages more keep-left behaviour, improves throughput and in doing so will will reduce congestion and lessen aggro.

I propose a test of this Euro like lane drop treatment for application on the NSW F3, we'll see.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Old 16-11-2010, 09:48 PM   #170
Landau Stable
Landau Tragic

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his many posts on welding and fabricating for coupes 

Quote:
For those that want to whinge on the forum about it. How about you put yourselves in the same situation. Some of us have do to it just to earn a dollar
When i am in that situation i pull over when someone is behind me. once the traffic is gone i pull out again and carry on. that would seem the polite thing to do for other road users.
Old 16-11-2010, 09:52 PM   #171
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Observation, motorway class roads in vid;
We really need to NOT end the left-lane when dropping one, instead we should be ending the RH lane.

That then encourages more keep-left behaviour, improves throughput and in doing so will will reduce congestion and lessen aggro.

I propose a test of this Euro like lane drop treatment for application on the NSW F3, we'll see.
I fully agree that the RH lane should be ending, not the left as it is now. Have mentioned this before with keepleft, as that system works so well in the UK motorway system. So at each entry a new lane is formed so that drivers dont need to merge into the freeway, but just speed up in their own lane.
That way also, drivers are encouraged to stay on the left, instead of the right lane as we see now.
Unfortunately the down side is that drivers here are so stupid that they wont realise they have a clear lane in front of them and want to move across to the right lanes.
Old 16-11-2010, 10:21 PM   #172
1streetmachine1

1. people who give me 0.1 second of indicator when changing lanes into my safe breaking distance room, causing me to jam on the brakes... usually happens when they need to turn off up ahead or there is a slow car in there lane... ill let you in ******** just give me some warning before you jam yourself in there

2. People who dont give me a wave when i let them in... anyone who dosent is just a piece of bacteria

Old 16-11-2010, 10:36 PM   #173
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

Que-jumpers, tailgaters, wont keep lefters,
Actually, most things most drivers do everyday, learn to drive everyone, driving isn't a game, someone will get hurt. Thanku for listening. lol. later.
Old 16-11-2010, 11:08 PM   #174
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landau Stable
When i am in that situation i pull over when someone is behind me. once the traffic is gone i pull out again and carry on. that would seem the polite thing to do for other road users.
Great idea, what if it is a busy street that has a car coming up behind you every 15 seconds, could take you a while.

I have a similar peeve, people that think their house number hidden behind a bunch of shrubs and only visible in good light and within an arc of 10 degrees is a good idea.

I think it should be law that all houses are to have street side marking in reflective paint, then perhaps people would not have to drive at walking pace to find the number.
Old 17-11-2010, 01:10 AM   #175
LXL15

Quote:
Ah pet peeves... i have one and only one. Ignorance. Ive been driving (on P1) for less than a year, and the drivers (mostly young, but plenty of full licenced) i see make me feel way experienced and skillfull (which im most definatly not, have driven thousands of kms since though ). It seems like they have their own rules which is fine with if they dont utilise it on public roads. Im finding that roundabouts are just somthing you drive around, you know, just hit it at 50 like its an everyday curve in the road....i now know how no ABS feels like. How do you Canberians survive out there??!!
I feel exactly the same way. I know I'm not experienced by any means, but I see things coming (eg a truck merging into my lane which I may have to slow down for) and act accordingly so no-one gets angry. I reckon a good judge of how much attention someone is paying is, suprisingly, emergency vehicles with lights on. I sometimes spot them 500m away, and tell my gf, who takes another 400m to see them (even when she's driving).

And my pet peeves are:

-Slow merging onto freeways
-Not knowing how to use indicators, especially people who indicate in the wrong direction which can be more dangerous than someone not indicating (as you think they're definitely going the other way)
-Super late braking (especially when I'm a passenger)
-Lack of awareness of a situation up ahead, then an expectation that I will give them right of way (when they don't have it) when they finally realise 3m before the parked car.

And Toyota Corolla SECA (I think?) hatchbacks. In my experience, worst drivers on the road by car model.

EDIT: Also, people who complain about how trucks ride their @sses on the freeways when they're braking for some reason...I don't mind it because I understand how much more effort it takes a truck to get back up to speed, as long as they're still a safe distance away.

Also, in the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtHzaeTpYB0) from the truck, was it just me, or did the truck swerve to scare the last gold falcon haha?

Last edited by LXL15; 17-11-2010 at 01:20 AM.
Old 17-11-2010, 03:48 AM   #176
motorcycles4eva
love the xa's

would you believe that i saw a police officer driving a marked car, talking on his phone?? 2 days ago, victoria road parramatta..
Old 17-11-2010, 11:42 AM   #177
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have something really annoying everyday.
Near my house there is a motorway with a 90 limit. The motorway on ramp I use is up a pretty steep hill. Even though it is steep, it is easy to reach 90 without flogging your car.
Everyday idiots attempt to merge at 60-70km/h.
Yesterday some stupid women decided she would try to merge at 60 in peak hour traffic.
Then when a space finally comes along to merge I accelerate hard to merge and get to a decent speed before the car behind is on me, then this stupid women abuses me for going around her. Well if you attempted to merge at a reasonable speed I wouldn't have to go around you to avoid a car hitting the back of me.
BTW she didn't even have her indicator on when I went around her, when I had mine on in advanced of changing
Old 17-11-2010, 11:57 AM   #178
dave289
Banned

Quote:

This is another one of my pet hates, somebody who sits in front of you going slowly looking for numbers of whatever. You are basically obstructing traffic which is against the road law, you are also stuffing somebody or more cars behind them around. The right thing to do is , common sense, you pull over to the side of the road and let the others pass .
Old 17-11-2010, 02:30 PM   #179
mav666
Starter Motor

My god for all that's mentioned about roundabouts I can't belive that no one has said anything about all the idiots why cut them i'm almost cleaned up at least once a day by them.
Also how about the drivers who speed up in the rain, I drive a lot in canberra and it seems that most canberra drivers drive faster the wetter the roads are.
Old 17-11-2010, 06:28 PM   #180
fmc351
let it burn

Heres a thought, if youre experiencing lots of crazy driving acts, and not driving for a living, maybe some of it is you.
Closed Thread