Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-04-2015, 08:51 PM   #1621
prydey
Rob

Default Re: New to cycling

you do realise this is a cycling thread right??

you need to ask your question in the right area of the forum. i'm sure you will get plenty of advice from those with similar cars.

try posting a thread in here
http://www.fordforums.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=114

or here
http://www.fordforums.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=31
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2015, 11:24 PM   #1622
Boosted boss
Starter Motor

Smile Re: New to cycling

Appologies mate just saw the details of the posters car and was hoping for some help thanks for the link
Boosted boss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2015, 02:06 PM   #1623
GUTLES
Adam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bArNsY View Post
I usually run a 5-10 psi less in the wet to offer some better traction.

I run Specialized Roubaix Pro tyres http://www.specialized.com/au/en-au/...es/roubaix-pro, been running them the last two years. Very predictable in the wet and dry....haven't really tyred anything else.

Hope you have a quick recovery
Thanks Adam, my LBS has recommended these as well. Interesting that they have a 23 tread on a 25 casing. Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2015, 03:22 PM   #1624
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Ive had the roubaix tyres before too. Excellent tyre but pricey.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2015, 06:03 PM   #1625
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I have just had some repairs done to my Merckx. If anyone needs repairs to carbon frames get in touch with Paint My Bike here in Brisbane as their work is excellent. Yes they do service Australia wide.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:36 PM   #1626
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Finally got my front light !
After searching around and a lot of reviews.
Its bright. Very very bright. Excellent forward and side illumination.
No more kamikaze runs down my favourite routes after 5.30PM now.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/revie...00-front-light

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-05-2015, 11:42 AM   #1627
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Some pics of the Merckx

The braze on front derailleur conversion.

The repaired drive side chain stay. A dropped chain chewed big chunks out of the carbon tube. It is impossible to tell now.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:52 AM   #1628
bArNsY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
Finally got my front light !
After searching around and a lot of reviews.
Its bright. Very very bright. Excellent forward and side illumination.
No more kamikaze runs down my favourite routes after 5.30PM now.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/revie...00-front-light
It is surprising how much safer you feel at night when you get some brighter lights, these is no excuse for anyone to say "sorry mate I didn't see you".
2004 BA MkII XR6 Turbo

2009 G6E Turbo (277.2rwkw @ Tuned at Bullet Performance Racing)
2007 Audi S5 4.2L V8 manual (Supersprint exhaust, MMI 3G+ retrofit)

The New: 2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium Petrol RWD (With Sync 3 Upgrade)

Other Road Toys

Silver Surfer
2014 S-Works Roubaix SL4 road bike with Roval Rapide CLX 40 wheelset

The Adventurer!
2023 TREK Domane SL 7 AXS Gen 4
bArNsY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-05-2015, 12:07 PM   #1629
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

I am waiting for the release of the Fly 12, high intensity LED headlight combined with a HD camera.

I already have the Fly 6 which is a flashing rear light and HD camera.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:18 PM   #1630
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bArNsY View Post
It is surprising how much safer you feel at night when you get some brighter lights, these is no excuse for anyone to say "sorry mate I didn't see you".
i'm all for having bright lights but not so extreme that they are blinding for other road users.

after all, it is illegal for a car driver to drive around with high beams on, and car headlights also have to meet certain guidelines as well. lights on a bike are generally mounted much higher than a car, closer to the eyeline of a driver, so just something to consider when riding in traffic. for sure, its all about being seen, but a certain amount of consideration should be had as well.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:22 PM   #1631
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT View Post
Some pics of the Merckx
i didn't notice you running the gatorskins when i was up there. whilst they may not be as fast as a gp4000s2 or similar, i like the fact that they have added sidewall protection, which is probably needed on the roads you ride on. i had a brand new gp4000 on when i got up there and it only lasted a couple of rides before i got a big cut in the sidewall. luckily i had a spare gator with me.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:39 PM   #1632
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
i didn't notice you running the gatorskins when i was up there. whilst they may not be as fast as a gp4000s2 or similar, i like the fact that they have added sidewall protection, which is probably needed on the roads you ride on. i had a brand new gp4000 on when i got up there and it only lasted a couple of rides before i got a big cut in the sidewall. luckily i had a spare gator with me.
I have had the Gatorskins for the last 2500km and getting very good wear out of them and no punctures to this date (touch wood). You are right, the roads up here need and strong tyre or a lot of spare tubes.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:40 PM   #1633
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
i'm all for having bright lights but not so extreme that they are blinding for other road users.

after all, it is illegal for a car driver to drive around with high beams on, and car headlights also have to meet certain guidelines as well. lights on a bike are generally mounted much higher than a car, closer to the eyeline of a driver, so just something to consider when riding in traffic. for sure, its all about being seen, but a certain amount of consideration should be had as well.
Totally agree
Reason i bought this light is that I ride on unlit bike paths - would certainly not have it on 700lm for road use. It has 5 modes - so "normal mode" for 300lm is certainly more appropriate and courteous as well as having the light aimed correctly.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-05-2015, 12:44 PM   #1634
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

A lot of it is not so much how bright it is but how it is aimed. If it is aimed low as a car low beam is it will not be an issue but if it aimed high than of course there will be an issue.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:40 PM   #1635
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

I've decided to push myself, after getting an email at work about a fundraising ride. On June 21st the Brissie to Bay is being held, raising funds for Multiple Schlerosis. I've always given to charities, but thought this would be a good opportunity to DO something to raise donations.

Anyway, I've started "training" for the 100km course. I've been riding for a bit over 3 years, I think, and my upper legs don't yet have the strength for this distance.

My profile is located at:

https://msqldevents.com.au:443/champ...15/DarrellSwan

I've not done this distance before, but I believe I can. My plan has been to try and ride every second day, or three times a week. Riding to work gives me at least 50km/day, and I am trying to throw in a longer ride to get my legs used to the kilometres. I'm also looking at food/energy gels (haven't tried these yet) for every 45mins, plus hydration.

I'm not sure if I'm pushing the 'every second day' theory, in giving my legs time to recover, I've read as you get older that you should ride every 3 days. I'm now 48 years old.

I'll be riding my Avanti Cadent 1.0, 11speed with full size chain rings. I notice there are a couple of climbs around the 68km mark, which would definitely stop me at my present level of fitness!

I know there's a few riders here who can pass the 100 mark in one ride, how does my 6 week training plan sound, with a couple of 50km'ish rides plus a longer ride in the week? I'll take on any advice!

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2015, 01:44 AM   #1636
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I think you underestimate what you'll be able to do swanny. If your riding those km now i don't think it will be an issue pushing a bit longer to get the tonne. Its more mental than it is physical. Usually your mind says you've had enough but your body is already conditioned to handle a bit over half that now.

I reckon doing a 100km ride or 2 as part of your training will help you to mentally prepare for the distance you plan on achieving. Once you crack the tonne, you'll find that mentally itll be easier

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
2 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2015, 01:56 AM   #1637
prydey
Rob

Swap to compact cranks! Your legs and knees will thank you
2 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2015, 09:10 AM   #1638
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:
Swap to compact cranks! Your legs and knees will thank you

I used to have compact cranks before I changed to the Ultegra groupset, and they do make climbing easier. My thoughts were that riding harder up hills on a full crankset would make my legs stronger. I've still got my Tiagra compact cranks.

I was getting a sore knee every time I rode for more than an hour when I swapped over to the Ultegra that would take me off the bike for a couple of weeks, but I found the cleat on the shoe on that side was out of line. Once I fixed that it's been good.... except for the muscle burn up near the hips when I'm pushing a bit harder!

1971 Fairlane 500
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
Old 07-05-2015, 10:24 AM   #1639
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
My thoughts were that riding harder up hills on a full crankset would make my legs stronger.
the best way to get up hills is to spin with a cadence above 80 (if you can). i would say focus more on efficiency rather than strength, esp for longer rides.

not sure how much strength you would be able to build in 6 weeks. the general consensus is to generally take it a bit easier in the days leading up to the ride, so basically you have 4-5 weeks to see what you've got.

i would suggest attempting a 100km ride in those weeks, but at a fairly casual pace. like Shav says, many hurdles are in the mind. once you conquer your mind its amazing what you can do.

if you have a heart rate monitor and cadence sensor, just use those as a bit of a guide. (unless you have a power meter). ignore your speed. speed (ave speed) can be a distraction if you feel you need to maintain a certain pace. speed is irrelevant. it will come naturally once you build fitness and endurance. just ride keeping your heart rate low and cadence above 80 and enjoy the scenery.

on the topic of Gels, personally i've only ever used them at the back end of really big rides, just to get me home sort of thing. i know some packets say to consume before, during and after, but the sceptic in me says this is just marketing so you need to buy more. every 45min is overkill in my opinion. on longer rides, i normally fill one of my bottles with a sport type drink. i use staminade. i normally carry a small tube with enough powder for a refill along the way. i have been recommended a product called 'endura' but it doesn't seem to be that readily available from local shops where i am. keeping hydrated is important. everyone is different, but a rule of thumb is about 500ml for every hour. you can get specific energy type bars, but often i just take normal muesli bars. banana's are good as well. probably should be first thing you put in your pocket.

if the charity ride is a supported event (rest stops with food and drink provided) then that makes it a bit easier. i find charity rides to be a good way to get in to longer rides too, as its always easier with a big group of people, so long as you can stay with a group.

hope that helps. what i've said isn't 'a must follow' guide, but its generally what i do. i'm sure others can chip in with some advice of their own.

enjoy the ride. thats the main thing.
3 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2015, 10:29 AM   #1640
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My 2 cents.

If you can ride around 50-70km now, 100 is obtainable. All you need to do is see what your average speed seems to be, and peg it back a bit.

For example, if you find you can do 50km at 25km/h, peg it back to 23km/h and you'll notice the difference.

When you first start to do 100km rides, you'll notice that what happens is you get uncomfortable, more so than your legs going on you. So just make sure you switch it up and get up off the seat every now and then to let your legs use different muscles.

And of course, if you need to stop and have a breather, then do so. Especially around the 80+km mark.

Using energy gels is a good idea, for your mental state as much as anything else.

Make sure you drink! Drink before you get thirsty, drink even if you don't think you need to.. If you wait until you're thirsty, then you're too late.

I would highly recommend using compact cranks as was said above. Especially if you think you're going to struggle on the climbs.

I ride compacts presently and wouldn't think of going back to "normal" cranks. I'm not doing any high speed pursuits, so compacts are fine, especially when I get to a tough climb I am glad I have them!

I can see your reasoning for using normal cranks, thinking that it'll give you more power, however when you are going for a longer distance such as the 100k, you really want endurance, more than power.

I would use these coming weeks to figure out what cadence you're comfortable spinning at (if you have a way of seeing your cadence)

It's a great metric to keep your mind focused and yourself disciplined.

For example, I know I am my most comfortable at 90rpm. So when I'm on longer rides, I do my best to maintain 90RPM. I know that if I've done a tough climb, or worked in to the wind and need to bring my heart rate down, I look for whatever gear will allow me to spin 90RPM and recover.

I also know that when climbing, I need to be 70+RPM, else I just bog down and blow up almost straight away. So I keep my eyes on my cadence and adjust my gearing to suit. Forget all other factors such as speed, it's irrelevant.

Sorry for being so long winded, but basically my points are:

- Hydration is key
- Use these coming weeks to figure out what cadence you can spin comfortably, and use this as your key metric for the ride
- You'll be fine, so long as you can remain disciplined and just ride within your means, even though you'll want to charge out at the beginning

Also, as a side note, don't underestimate the power of adrenaline. On the day, with so many riders, such a good cause, you'll do a lot better than you think you will. Just enjoy it mate.

Edit: while I was writing my post, Rob beat me to it!
Old 07-05-2015, 10:33 AM   #1641
prydey
Rob

chucked $10 in your kitty too Swanny. i know its not much but every bit helps.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:35 AM   #1642
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne View Post
Edit: while I was writing my post, Rob beat me to it!
at least we are on the same page
Old 07-05-2015, 11:17 AM   #1643
blueoval
Critical Thinker

The boys speak truth. Compacts for the win. Will never go back to standards unless I had a tri bike.

I believe you'll do fine Swanny. Once you've done it too, you'll feel amazing knowing you have reached an epic milestone.

After doing this, every other tonne you crack will become easier.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
2 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2015, 11:20 AM   #1644
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Thanks guys, all good info, especially with the cadence - something I've been trying to work on this week.
I just fitted a cadence meter to go with my new Garmin Edge 500 last night, so I can start watching that.
I'll look at swapping over to my compact cranks in the next week or so, and see how that pans out. I'm due for a longer ride tomorrow, I've only got one bottle cage, though I've been using my Aldi branded hydration back pack to carry water so far.

Thanks Prydey, every dollar does help, mate!

1971 Fairlane 500
Old 07-05-2015, 11:24 AM   #1645
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Fit another bottle holder Swanny. The hydration packs are fine too but I find them annoying when I know my back wants to breathe with build up in sweat. I also know that carrying something on my back also hurts my shoulders over a long period of time like a 100km ride. Ridding yourself if unnecessary weight will not only help you physically but also mentally especially around the 80km mark.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 07-05-2015, 11:31 AM   #1646
prydey
Rob

which reminds me, its way too long since my last 100+km ride. weather in adelaide sucks at the moment though, which makes it very difficult to roll out from under the warm covers in the morning.

its officially that time of year where you have to suck it up and just get out there. i don't actually mind riding in the rain if its dry when i start. i hate leaving the house if its already raining.

its sad when you actually look forward to the climbs to get a bit of heat in to your body, and dread the decents where the cold just rips right through you.

we have a little township in adelaide about 20km from me (clarendon) that is at the bottom of a hill, and surrounded by hills. the temp, no matter what time of year, is always quite a bit colder than surrounding areas. its like riding in to antarctica this time of year. its so idyllic and scenic, but the cold is like nothing else!
2 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2015, 11:43 AM   #1647
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
which reminds me, its way too long since my last 100+km ride. weather in adelaide sucks at the moment though, which makes it very difficult to roll out from under the warm covers in the morning.

its officially that time of year where you have to suck it up and just get out there. i don't actually mind riding in the rain if its dry when i start. i hate leaving the house if its already raining.

its sad when you actually look forward to the climbs to get a bit of heat in to your body, and dread the decents where the cold just rips right through you.

we have a little township in adelaide about 20km from me (clarendon) that is at the bottom of a hill, and surrounded by hills. the temp, no matter what time of year, is always quite a bit colder than surrounding areas. its like riding in to antarctica this time of year. its so idyllic and scenic, but the cold is like nothing else!
I live for the descents. haha. To me it's worth the cold. So much fun. haha

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 08-05-2015, 12:44 PM   #1648
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Well, that went well!

Yesterday afternoon I decided to swap over my cranks to the Tiagra compact set that were originally on the bike (and another bottle cage, Shav!) I had to take 3 links out of the chain, move the front derailleur down a bit, and got it shifting okay.
I mapped out a 69km course to tackle, and set off this morning. I had it all going... good breakfast, water and energy drink on board, a few muesli bars in my pocket and compact cranks to try out and a cadence meter fitted.
The ride was feeling good, I pushed it a bit harder in a few places, and thought I'd settle down for a bit at the 30km mark to save a bit for the end.

Then at around 36km, that's when the chain let go! It was so disappointing... the link disappeared, and I didn't have the tool to rejoin it with me. Lucky my partner could come pick me up.

Anyway, looking at the data, I see that I was averaging a cadence of 93, which is more than I thought I was doing. The average speed is down because it was recording my 5km/hr walk for about 3kms. The compact cranks seemed to let me use more of the gears on the rear cassette, and felt better than I remember them. Perhaps I've got a bit of riding in my legs since I last used them.

I'll have to try again tomorrow, after either a new chain or rejoining this one!

1971 Fairlane 500
5 users like this post:
Old 08-05-2015, 01:21 PM   #1649
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Good to know the compacts are a positive for your ride mate. Sorry to hear of the chain failure. These things happen and I hope it gets sorted soon.

I think the main benefit of compacts for you will be having enough juice in the tank to finish the ride. I found going to compacts allowed me to spin faster yes, but it helped stretch out any fatigue I previously had with standards, especially on a climb. Spinning is winning.

You'll have to let us know how it goes once you complete the full course you mapped out.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 08-05-2015, 03:48 PM   #1650
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
Spinning is winning.

.............and mashing is smashing. lol

On the topic of chains, get yourself a couple of quick links too, they help out immensely.
gossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: