Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 04:04 PM   #121
superyob
Banned

Default Re: Everyones buying a new car.... is it your turn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbvbvb088 View Post
MR Murdoch drove a Cortina wagon well beyond his $$$$..
But these people are probably not car enthusiasts or revheads. World domination is their goal, not a great car...
Old 02-05-2015, 04:15 PM   #122
brennan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post
Buying new largely stops doubting toms from picking apart your purchase.

For instance if i had a 50,000km territory and my neighbour drives in with a used bmw x5, on first impression and to the passer by he has won. But when he starts bragging and i say "how many km"??? Then he starts getting hot under the collar and mutters under his breath "200,000", i see gutter rash on his rims and a tear in his leather seat and then his bubble just pops. Like he just got dunked in the pool.

New v new it becomes type of car dictates the win but used its not clear cut, condition becomes a huge factor. (New falcon beats a 7 year old merc with 162,000km)
Told you, greatest hits. This topic of "did you buy a good used car, and who tells you whether you did or not?" came up not too long ago.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:20 PM   #123
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
(New falcon beats a 7 year old merc with 162,000km)
Disagree. Look at the equipment available on a W221 S-class and the new G6E. Things like adaptive cruise, auto folding mirrors, rear video screens, rear seat tables, panoramic sunroof, keyless entry & start are available on a 7 year old W221 S-class and which you wouldn't find in the new top of the range G6E, even as an option. Build quality on the W221 is miles better too.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
Old 02-05-2015, 04:38 PM   #124
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
..... if i had a 50,000km territory and my neighbour drives in with a used bmw x5, on first impression and to the passer by he has won. But when he starts bragging and i say "how many km"??? Then he starts getting hot under the collar and mutters under his breath "200,000", i see gutter rash on his rims and a tear in his leather seat and then his bubble just pops. Like he just got dunked in the pool.
There’s next week’s new thread:

Do your neighbours think less of you if your used car has more miles and wear and tear compared to their used car?

I know my neighbours are constantly enquiring about the current mileage on my ride. My wife says its none of their business and draws the curtains.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:01 PM   #125
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
Disagree. Look at the equipment available on a W221 S-class and the new G6E. Things like adaptive cruise, auto folding mirrors, rear video screens, rear seat tables, panoramic sunroof, keyless entry & start are available on a 7 year old W221 S-class and which you wouldn't find in the new top of the range G6E, even as an option. Build quality on the W221 is miles better too.
Not if half the gadgets aren't working anymore and it's outa warranty

Or with those km the Mercedes water pump is on its way out

Or can you imagine having a Mercedes with a few years behind it and a few km, the easy retort would be "couldn't you buy a new one?"
Old 02-05-2015, 06:04 PM   #126
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
Except for my recent ignition switch saga, my ZD is totally reliable. Any old Ford that is maintained regularly should be problem free...
Old for me is anything pre BA Falcon

Problem with 70s cars is yes while they might still be going after the nuclear apocalypse but rust is claiming them rather quickly.

Hell I've got rust happening in the driver side sill on my EL.
This user likes this post:
Old 02-05-2015, 11:23 PM   #127
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Finding a good bakery is the hard part, plenty of them around but theres only two I've been to that do alright meat pies.

Made the mistake of stopping into the first bakery I saw in Heathcote while rolling through to the AFF Nationals last year, their custard tart tasted like dish washing detergent.

Driving through, big sign saying "BAKERY".

Its a trap!
I thought I'd support the local bakery in Tamworth (next to RM Williams). A heap of us were driving back from a family christening in QLD. Had about 5 pies/drinks/donuts etc on the counter when she gave me the price.......I said how much you charging for one sauce.......90 cent she says......I say HOW MUCH....she says '90 CENT'!!! Well with that I left the pies on the counter and said out loud 'off to maccas kids'. Wasn't payin nearly 5 bucks for 5 sauce sachets.......she can jam that where it fits.

On topic we bought the F6 last year. Why? I've loved them since the day they came out. When they knocked $10 000 off the price and threw in the leather/sat Nav that was a bomb as an option not that long ago, and free 3 year servicing I couldn't pass it up. With the savings I optioned the 6/4 brembos and was still miles in front! I said to the mrs we're sellin the ute and gettin one.......and we did.

I am jealous of a bunch of people out there though........new Focus Titanium owners. Had one the other day and the seating position and comfort of the drivers seat absolutely shytes on the F6!!
2 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2015, 01:39 AM   #128
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandsharon View Post

On topic we bought the F6 last year. Why? I've loved them since the day they came out. When they knocked $10 000 off the price and threw in the leather/sat Nav that was a bomb as an option not that long ago, and free 3 year servicing I couldn't pass it up. With the savings I optioned the 6/4 brembos and was still miles in front! I said to the mrs we're sellin the ute and gettin one.......and we did.
If there was ever a time to buy a new car it was the last of the f6. $54,990 brand new with leather and sat nav. Ridiculous value
Old 03-05-2015, 06:16 AM   #129
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If there was ever a time to buy a new car it was the last of the f6. $54,990 brand new with leather and sat nav. Ridiculous value
Not wrong bud. $61 000 including the 6/4s drive away. A lot of money but a bargain over what Ford was charging 6 months earlier......good to have a win now and then!
Old 03-05-2015, 07:14 AM   #130
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So what colour did you get? Manual or auto?
Old 03-05-2015, 09:25 AM   #131
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
So what colour did you get? Manual or auto?
None, they sold out real quick. The fact is everyone was blinded by the miami v8 and ford had to give away the f6.

Now that the people have digested the miami, many have realised the f6 is the better weapon even at the same price. A ferocious car.

Last edited by HULK_I6T; 03-05-2015 at 09:30 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:15 AM   #132
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Just remember,
People are like sheep.
They all follow the leader.

And eventually end up in the slaughterhouse.
5 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2015, 10:14 PM   #133
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not if half the gadgets aren't working anymore and it's outa warranty

Or with those km the Mercedes water pump is on its way out

Or can you imagine having a Mercedes with a few years behind it and a few km, the easy retort would be "couldn't you buy a new one?"
I don't understand your logic. For starters I've owned and driven BMW's that are 80's/90's that have weathered (paint, trim, driveline) and driven better than BA's and FG's. There's nothing better than owning a 1989 car with electric everything that doesn't make a single noise when you operate the side mirrors or seats. If people like what they drive let them drive it. I've bought enough cars to know I'd rather spend my money on holidays and investments.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:56 PM   #134
HULK_I6T
Banned

Ive just had another mate advise he is ready to buy a new car.

Toyota Aurion.

My turn has to be getting real close. Almost impossible to dance around the facts now.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:43 PM   #135
GTPete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Aurion = Game Over.
4 users like this post:
Old 04-05-2015, 10:48 PM   #136
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
My turn has to be getting real close. Almost impossible to dance around the facts now.
What are you thinking of buying, Fiesta, Focus, Mondeo, Ecosport, Kuga, Territory, Falcon, Ranger, Transit, Everest or Mustang?
Old 05-05-2015, 12:27 AM   #137
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
What are you thinking of buying, Fiesta, Focus, Mondeo, Ecosport, Kuga, Territory, Falcon, Ranger, Transit, Everest or Mustang?
Id be more in market for a jeep cherokee srt8 or mercedes amg a45. I dont think ford products have moved forward enough in recent years.

Those cars above (amg a45, srt8 jeep) would sit favourably in any company. Not much else under $80k that says "must buy".
Old 05-05-2015, 12:46 AM   #138
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Id be more in market for a jeep cherokee srt8 or mercedes amg a45. I dont think ford products have moved forward enough in recent years.

Those cars above (amg a45, srt8 jeep) would sit favourably in any company. Not much else under $80k that says "must buy".
You drive a amg a45?

You like it?

Engine to me does not sound good, and it has a really artificial poppy crackling exhaust, felt a bit like a wrx, only the modded wrx sti I drove was faster and better.

It sort of felt like a synthesized lentil meat burger, lean but not real, when compared to a real prime fillet cut of car like an amg c63 or an M3 (4 litre), or an FGX XR8 (despite the a45 being better handling).

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender

Last edited by asagaai; 05-05-2015 at 01:00 AM.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:00 AM   #139
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've driven a Golf R and Audi S3 and they are brilliant cars for the money. Actually prefer the Golf R.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:05 AM   #140
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ive just had another mate advise he is ready to buy a new car.

Toyota Aurion.

What if your mate was going to jump off a bridge?? Would it be your turn soon??

And he is buying an Aurion (what ever that is), I would pronabaly just be feeling sorry for him

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Last edited by XB GS 351 Coupe; 05-05-2015 at 01:19 AM.
4 users like this post:
Old 05-05-2015, 01:06 AM   #141
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:

Wouldn’t you be concerned that your neighbours who own AMG’s would look down on you because you’ve only got an entry level car?

And the neighbours with SRT8’s would wonder why you’d want one in Jeep form given that Jeep has had 7 recalls in 2 years and has been getting a bad rap in the press?

Plus the Grand Cherokee is based on the Mercedes-Benz ML and your neighbours who own ML’s would see it as the poor man’s performance SUV.

I sometimes sense the young fellow around the corner from me laughs because he's got an AU and I've only got an XY.

Last edited by Express; 05-05-2015 at 01:24 AM.
6 users like this post:
Old 05-05-2015, 01:10 AM   #142
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
I sometime sense the young fellow around the corner from me laughs because he's got an AU and I've only got an XY.
I know, I probably drive the oldest car out of all my mates and neighbours, I hate it they all just laugh at me all the time..

Even the 17 year old red P plater down the road drives a '92 holden, he always laughs when he drives past my place, it's just game over for me I guess, I am just left behind society.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

4 users like this post:
Old 05-05-2015, 08:21 AM   #143
HULK_I6T
Banned

Old cars like xy falcons are unique etc but most people dont rate them, just a select few ford enthusiasts.

For the most people they see them as like watching an old black n white 34cm analogue tv in a day and age when everyone can buy a 50 inch lcd for next to nothing.

Functionally even an aurion beats them with a knockout punch, performance, comfort, handling, economy its a one sided bout.

I do appreciate old cars but wouldnt actually buy one. Put yourself in their shoes, would you buy a 1980 commodore?

Recently i was cruising with a mate in his c63.. i saw a few xy GT on highway. I was actually excited to see them but he just said i hate old cars and dont get why people want them, then he just punched past them and there was nothing they could do about it. Unfortunately people want new cars these days, they get embarrassed driving a car more than 5 years old
Old 05-05-2015, 08:29 AM   #144
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So that's why you don't drive your super low km BF, it's too embarrassing
Old 05-05-2015, 08:47 AM   #145
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:

Have the wages increased that much at Macca's for you to be in the market now ??
Old 05-05-2015, 08:53 AM   #146
anto
Za Dom spremni

Quote:
Old cars like xy falcons are unique etc but most people dont rate them, just a select few ford enthusiasts.

For the most people they see them as like watching an old black n white 34cm analogue tv in a day and age when everyone can buy a 50 inch lcd for next to nothing.

Functionally even an aurion beats them with a knockout punch, performance, comfort, handling, economy its a one sided bout.

I do appreciate old cars but wouldnt actually buy one. Put yourself in their shoes, would you buy a 1980 commodore?

Recently i was cruising with a mate in his c63.. i saw a few xy GT on highway. I was actually excited to see them but he just said i hate old cars and dont get why people want them, then he just punched past them and there was nothing they could do about it. Unfortunately people want new cars these days, they get embarrassed driving a car more than 5 years old
Then you should hang your head in shame driving a lowly BF turdbo, I meanother than a few ford enthusiasts no rates them at all. They are so old and ....eeeew, slow.
Time to upgrade to an Aurion yeah?
AU III XR8 red ute
Old 05-05-2015, 09:20 AM   #147
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Unfortunately people want new cars these days, they get embarrassed driving a car more than 5 years old
Do you speak for all people?

I don't know anyone in my circle of friends who really care about each other drive, let alone comment negatively on any of the cars we drive. I think only a handful of them have got a car newer than 5 years, and all of us are on very healthy incomes.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:28 AM   #148
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
he just said i hate old cars and dont get why people want them, then he just punched past them and there was nothing they could do about it.
why do these threads gather so much interest?
Old 05-05-2015, 10:40 AM   #149
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_bandit View Post
why do these threads gather so much interest?
...........because hulk has a big wooden spoon and likes to use it.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:56 AM   #150
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Recently i was cruising with a mate in his c63.. i saw a few xy GT on highway. I was actually excited to see them but he just said i hate old cars and dont get why people want them, then he just punched past them and there was nothing they could do about it.
Yep, he is not an enthusiast. Full stop. Hate to break this to you but where I am from a C63 isn't classy, nor even that great a car. Its an entry level V8 AMG, its the latest bogan express, because the lower price point has made it attainable by some of the most idiotic germs I've ever seen.

Most heroes buy them by stretching their finances so thay can park in front of cafe's and gym's, and cluelessly and deludedly feel superior to everyone else. Unfortunately in this day and age, car finance is easier to obtain than taste.

I am lucky enough to come from a family and a social circle where we have always worked very hard, and had the financial ability to have been able to indulge in some wonderful enthusiast cars. They are bought not to show off, not to feel superior to the rest, but because they are wonderful driving machines that give joy to the beholder.

Dad has a 997 911 Carrera S - That's a great car - look it up when you get the chance. He never takes it out unless its a clear day, and only then when he does take it out, he likes how it blends in with the crowd, and no one bothers to look much - he bought it because he liked it, not because he thought that people would look at him, and not because he thought he could fly past people in Classic GT Falcons, and feel better about himself. It is a brilliant car. A modern classic. If he was out in the 911 and saw an XY GTHO, his jaw would drop. Thats respect. That's what being a true enthusiast is all about. Appreciating cars for what they are, and what they were.

Someone like you though, would wonder why Dad's money wasn't spent on a red Ferrari instead of a black 911. Someone like you wouldn't know or appreciate that say, for example, that next to a 2012 model AMG Merc, that a 1973 Porsche Carrera RS is actually a classic, a thing of impeccable beauty. Because someone like you goes out and buys an entry level second hand C63 on 100% Finance wuith a 50% residual and then has the **** to bag out someone driving a beautiful classic like you've one upped them.

That's not class, thats not even cool. You think like a 12 year old. In my opinion, If I was in a classic GT Falcon from the 1970's (which would be worth a pretty penny as we all know), and some pumped up loser in his heavily financed C63 (or BMW X6 with black wheels amirite?) punched past me as if to say "lol, I showed you", I'd probably *** my pants in laughter, and so would all of my friends.

Your mode of thinking is completely retarded. I know you're now feeding off this, but just in case you really are for real and you ain't joking, you should take a good read of what I've just posted.

Last edited by Danny; 05-05-2015 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Edited because I lost my head a little.. fixed.
Closed Thread