Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-10-2014, 10:10 PM   #121
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2015 Mustang Australian Price

I'm fast becoming a mopar kinda guy. Had planned to buy a mustang next year. At 70k I'd be a mug.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-10-2014, 10:19 PM   #122
Rastas

60k drive away (V8 auto) is my line in the sand.
Can afford more but ive convinced myself to hold firm and hope Ford dont dissapoint me again.
Rastas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2014, 10:28 PM   #123
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Why don't we all just wait and see what the price ends up being. Could be $50k for the Ecoboost, $60k of the GT V8 and $70k for the GT V8 convertible. Than you have to factor in that these prices will drop after a while so a GT could end up $60k drive away after a while. People paid mid $60's for the Monaro which was no more than a 2 door commodore which even shared the Commodores interior and same basic styling. Mustang will sell no matter what cause it will be the new thing on the block and what else can you drive that's like it. Lets just wait and see what ends up happening regarding pricing.
Old 20-10-2014, 10:44 PM   #124
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Ford priced the XR8 very well, and holy ****, it sells. Who would figure if you price a desirable vehicle at a great price people might actually buy it.

Do these morons think they can throw whatever price on it they feel like and suckers will still buy it. Have they learnt nothing about the past Mustangs failure? It was overpriced and it failed dismally. And that was a top of the line Cobra, and required local conversion, and the price isn't much more than what they are expecting for the base V8 to sell at here, let alone the Shelby models. Not to mention the aussie dollar was around 50c at the time.

How much will they sell the Shelby's for, around M4/C63 prices?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2014, 11:35 PM   #125
Blem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford ain't pleasing me.

Last edited by Blem; 20-10-2014 at 11:36 PM. Reason: My FGF6 is still a keeper
Blem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2014, 08:01 AM   #126
RSEA

Euro model is down on HP

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/20...ery-87921.html
RSEA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2014, 09:29 AM   #127
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ecoboost down one horse, how is that even possible

V8 back to 2011 level, even stranger
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2014, 09:34 AM   #128
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmmm something fishy with there specs...

Weight
V8 6M 1651 kg
V8 6A 1659 kg

Those are 2011 era weights.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2014, 10:56 AM   #129
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
How much will they sell the Shelby's for, around M4/C63 prices?
Wouldn't be unheard of, since that's what the importers have been charging for the previous converted ones.

To whoever asked 'what european V8 powered coupe/convertible can you get for under $100k' that was my point entirely. So even at $80k Ford's Mustang GT coupe would still be cheaper than the real competitors.

At $80k it is about the same as what you can get a 2.0L Turbo Audi A5 coupe for. That's a premium brand, very similarly sized vehicle, with much less performance and similar features otherwise. I reckon that's where they'll price the V8.

I can't see that the Mustang V8 would be more than $20k more than the 4 cylinder Mustang, all other things being similar, so I expect $60k is where the ecoboost will be. That's a bigger car with more power than most other small sportys in its bracket. It also lets it punch on with the STIs and Golf Rs for that price bracket. They're better on the track but the mustang is bigger and better for posing.
Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2014, 12:20 PM   #130
Uwish

You cannot compare an A5 coupe to a v8 mustang.
FFS build quality alone is in a different league. Most people that buy Audi / BMW / Mercs won't look at a Mustang.
Uwish is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2014, 01:31 PM   #131
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwish View Post
FFS build quality alone is in a different league. Most people that buy Audi / BMW / Mercs won't look at a Mustang.
No, but its a comparison on what your money will buy. A base 2.0 four pot German Taxi or a burly V8 muscle car with snarly exhaust and a 50 year heritage.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2014, 02:50 PM   #132
RSEA

And that legendary ford quality / service
RSEA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2014, 03:49 PM   #133
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The missing power would probably be due to exhaust regs most likely, as the yanks can have there's a few db higher.

But that's a big slug of power and torque to go missing on the GT. So not only are they price gouging they are also bringing it here with a lot less power. Good job
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2014, 04:00 PM   #134
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwish View Post
Rubbish. They are similarly priced and similar sized cars. The powertains and (perceived) build quality are different, but people regularly compare cars that vary in these departments.
Old 21-10-2014, 06:48 PM   #135
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think any Ford is generally shopped against euro prestige - Merc, BMW or Audi. You only have to look at sales of small engined C class or 3 series - those are more expensive than Falcon turbo 6 with half the power and torque ..
A5 won't be competing against Mustang as it is Avery different proposition - main competitors for Mustang will be a Camaro , 370Z and maybe Genesis Coupe.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-10-2014, 12:32 AM   #136
Focusfan

Compare the fuel consumption rate for similar euro models compared to Fords and Holdens and you will see where the extra
development dollars go on euro models. Sure less power but the quality difference is huge.
Look at leather seats in a 8-10 year old Holden or Ford and compare it to some Bmw and Mercs, or Audi and you will see the Holden and Ford seats
are stretched and out of shape or cracking where the euros are all still in good shape and condition, unless someone treated them really bad.
I Looked at a lot of these before buying my last car and there is a lot of really poor leather interiors out there. Mostly Ford and Holden.
I bought Ford and am not 100% happy. Heavy on fuel, needed rotors already, noisy wheel bearing, auto not shifting as good as old 4 speed ef/el
that I have had before so maybe should have gone older car and
spend some dollars on custom work. $70,000 for a stang is so far out of
my budget and also would be out of reach for the larger majority of Aussies that are paying off homes and feeding a family.
Think those 2 would out weigh any reasons to consider spending so much on any car especially one that will never be a collector. All makes included.
Focusfan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2014, 03:23 PM   #137
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

If you guys think a decent number of people don't generally just shop in a price range then I'm not bothering to discuss it further. We'll see how accurate my armchair pricing predictions are soon enough.
Old 24-10-2014, 09:23 PM   #138
monzie

Ford will have to be carefull the 4 cylinder 'stange isn't tagged the "hairdresser" model.
monzie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2014, 10:28 PM   #139
Focusfan

Find it strange a great car like the stang is being released as a 4 cyl turbo when it has always been recognised as a v8 muscle car.
If they were to release a smaller version like some previous Mustangs that were small engine then maybe I would understand this.
They say no market for V6 version. Strange how well V6 Holdens sell for a country with no market for a V6.!
I Think once again the people behind the scenes have made a boo boo.
About time someone gave them a shove into this century in Australia.
Old 24-10-2014, 10:44 PM   #140
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusfan View Post
Find it strange a great car like the stang is being released as a 4 cyl turbo when it has always been recognised as a v8 muscle car.
If they were to release a smaller version like some previous Mustangs that were small engine then maybe I would understand this.
They say no market for V6 version. Strange how well V6 Holdens sell for a country with no market for a V6.!
It may be recognised as a 'V8 only' muscle car to those who have little automotive knowledge, however in reality the base model non-V8 models have always been the most popular versions.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2014, 10:55 PM   #141
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You realise the V6 engine in the base model, EB is the next step up & finally V8 at the top? So Ford AUST is not running with the base model & picking the top 2 engines. I think it is the right move.
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2014, 12:33 AM   #142
Tbm1121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619 View Post
You realise the V6 engine in the base model, EB is the next step up & finally V8 at the top? So Ford AUST is not running with the base model & picking the top 2 engines. I think it is the right move.
The 6 is also lower on power output and has a higher fuel consumption which is another reason that the are leaving the 6 out of the range.
Tbm1121 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2014, 10:49 PM   #143
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Quote:
As others stated the ecoboost is a better motor than the V6 and on top of that Ford NA wouldn't build RHD V6 Stangs for Australia only.
UberKnee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2014, 11:18 PM   #144
Focusfan

All good points so we will have to wait and see how these sell.
I am of the opinion the 4 cyl wont sell very well as the similar Falcon has been a slow seller. Mustang will probably be similar or lesser.
After all it is a 2 door which limits its appeal compared to 4 door sedans.
Not that it is not a great car in looks and performance but just my opinion that I feel it wont sell as many as Falcon. Mondeo is supposed to be the
alternative to Falcon but it is already shown to be slow seller as well.
Maybe the market has shifted away from large sedans.
The future will tell.
Old 26-10-2014, 01:48 PM   #145
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
All good points so we will have to wait and see how these sell.
I am of the opinion the 4 cyl wont sell very well as the similar Falcon has been a slow seller. Mustang will probably be similar or lesser.
After all it is a 2 door which limits its appeal compared to 4 door sedans.
Not that it is not a great car in looks and performance but just my opinion that I feel it wont sell as many as Falcon. Mondeo is supposed to be the
alternative to Falcon but it is already shown to be slow seller as well.

Maybe the market has shifted away from large sedans.
The future will tell.
1. The EcoBoost Falcon hasn't sold well for many reasons but the main one in my opinion is that the EcoBoost is a expensive imported engine, so it makes sense Ford would push fleet sales towards the Inline 6 because they will make a better profit from it and keep the factory ticking over.

2. Mondeo hasn't shown it true potential in Australia because Ford Aust. have been trying to maintain Falcon sales to again keep the factory numbers up. At the end of the day they are similar sized products competing for the same buyers, both fleet and private.
Mustang GT

Old 26-10-2014, 02:06 PM   #146
radler

It will be interesting to see how the mustang prgresses in Australia.

The so called 'global strategy' at work.....

Ross : n/a fgx xr6 - manual
radler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2014, 08:57 PM   #147
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by radler View Post
It will be interesting to see how the mustang prgresses in Australia.

The so called 'global strategy' at work.....
Ford posted a $2.6 BILLION profit for Q2 this year, whatever happens in Australia (good or bad) is merely blip on their radar.
Mustang GT

Old 26-10-2014, 09:04 PM   #148
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My bet is on it being north of sixty grand.

For a car that has a price range in the states of "$23,600 to $36,100"...
http://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/?gnav=header-cars
the new four cylinder 2.3lt Ecoboost engine puts out 310hp!! Bloody hell!

But then there are people who actively want it to be "exclusive and expensive" to keep plebs out of them and to give them better bragging rights. They wouldn't want, for example, to see people like we saw in Walmart in the USA loading the shopping and screaming kids into a slightly dirty new Mustang being used as a family car...heaven forbid!!!

Of course (sounding like a broken record) they could treat drivers here like adults in nearly every other country do and let us drive LHD new cars freely...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2014, 09:30 PM   #149
4stanger