Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-11-2013, 01:32 AM   #121
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Most relaible Oz Ford ever built?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickman View Post
Never heard of that issue my wife’s uncles 1979 XD .
was a very common problem, NRMA patrols always carried them too. someone called in with major loss of power and blowing smoke they always checked for a bent push rod. had quite a few of these cars and none of them were immune

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #122
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6 View Post
you mean the one with the push rods that loved bending then jumping out of the lifter? I used to carry a spare push rod and tube spanner (to remove the rocker cover bolts quickly) I had it down to 15 minutes to replace one . yea real reliable
I drove my XE 330,000 km after rebuilding the engine, never had a single problem with the head, valves, pushrods, lifters, or camshaft. During that time the rocker cover only needed to be removed once or twice for oil leaks. Maybe you had insufficient clearance due the head being machined, I put shims under the rocker posts to overcome that problem.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:48 PM   #123
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Normally pushrods bend from missed gears/over revving.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #124
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
Normally pushrods bend from missed gears/over revving.
I've had a lot of push rod motors over the years and the only one that bent a p/rod on me was a Buick 455cu when the plastic positioning clip let go but the Chevs, Fords and Chryslers have never given any issues with push rods over the years including the modified TE Cortina that we got into the high 14’s at Heathcote with a iron head X/Flow manual.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:57 PM   #125
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would think that the main reason for bent pushrods would be lifters that are clogged up with sludge and dirty oil that hadn't been changed for years.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:28 PM   #126
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Usually they only drop out on the overrun when the throttle is closed...
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #127
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

[QUOTE=FERG_51;4927852]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
From experience it was generally the EFi versions of the 4.1l that had Cam lobe wear issues.
Compared to a head gasket failure and associated cross contamination/over heating on 3.9/4.0l, I would take a cam/lifter replacement any day.

This is the reason why I singled out the Carby fed update XF as the pick of the bunch in my previous post.

I did plenty of carb XF cam and lifters, and got sick of fixing oil leaks from rocker cover and rear main seals, and the door hinge/handle issues, from this point of view the AU kills the XF.
Fair enough, I have had a half dozen XF's, never had a cam/lifter issue, never.

A good mate worked as a chief mechanic with the same Ford dealer (Gunning Ford) for 30yrs, he was the person who told me of the EFi cam issues.
My brother inlaw had an 86 efi and guess what, yep 120k's, new cam and lifters fitted by the bloke mentioned above.

Im not saying there were no cam problems with the carby fed donk, just that from a reliable source, it was mainly an on efi engines.

It is silly to compare the two really, if the AU wasn't a better car 10 years after the last XF I would have called for Fords demise 15yrs ago.
In saying that though, compared to the other offerings at the time, both AU and XF were much better built than VT and VK respectively.
In their day, they were both great cars, the AU still is.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-11-2013, 08:34 PM   #128
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
was a very common problem, NRMA patrols always carried them too. someone called in with major loss of power and blowing smoke they always checked for a bent push rod. had quite a few of these cars and none of them were immune
I've had 1 XC, 2 XD's, 5XE's and about 6 XF's and a few Cortinas too and never had 1 bent push rod in any of them.
My mate pulled the shifter clean out of the single rail in my XF Ghia on the 1-2 change pulling 90k's and it never skipped a beat.
he then went and sourced me a new nylon retainer from spare parts and cut/welded the shifter to fix it.

I would say harsh treatment and irregular oil changes would be contributing factors in many cases.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:26 PM   #129
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is why i loooove the SOHC I6 donk......NO pushrods.......As long as the cam chain does'nt stretch which they normally don't the donk will go for years!

I'm pretty keen to push my XR6 wagon to 400,000 and see how its performing after that... It is only a town car these days anyways.

The Fairmont sedan has done 250,000 and is running sweet as at the moment and it drives really nice with its KingSprings and Monroe GTs!
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2013, 09:54 PM   #130
T-Pak Addict
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
My mate pulled the shifter clean out of the single rail in my XF Ghia on the 1-2 change pulling 90k's .
Now there's some fond memories.....

Happened to me a few times on my 4.1 4 speed TD Cortina. I admit tho I was a little rough on the old girl.... 3rd time I wired it in with light fencing wire.....

The Old Daily.......2003 Octane BA Taxi Pak Egas Falcon Build Thread
T-Pak Addict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2013, 12:38 AM   #131
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Pak Addict View Post
Now there's some fond memories.....

Happened to me a few times on my 4.1 4 speed TD Cortina. I admit tho I was a little rough on the old girl.... 3rd time I wired it in with light fencing wire.....
Agreed, when he ripped it out we both just sort of looked at each other and laughed.
Not the first time I had experienced it, but under WOT and at redline to go from launch conditions to oops, were stuck in second and my shifter is flying around the cabin...much lol's.

One night I pulled up at a set of lights on Port road next to a injected i6 VK Calais.
Lights go green, he nails it and I sit 2 car lengths back and wait.
Lights ahead go red and the trap was set.
Pulled up next to them, two cap backward brigade giggling and grinning, lights go green.....not a gesture or word out of them at the next red.
Pussies wouldn't even look sideways...lol.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:50 AM   #132
T-Pak Addict
Jim

fun times... fun times....

Even funnier when one of mine was a conversion and still wore the 2 Litre badges....
Best drag ever was against a 351 XH Fairlane.. I flat changed 1st-2nd and the whole rear end made a godawful CRACK noise and the car virtually leaped from level to 1/2 car length in front. My sister (in the back seat) just about crapped herself......

Dam they were a good car.....

The Old Daily.......2003 Octane BA Taxi Pak Egas Falcon Build Thread
T-Pak Addict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2013, 01:15 AM   #133
FERG_51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett.r.johnstone View Post
Usually they only drop out on the overrun when the throttle is closed...
Most of the push rod issues were from alloy headed XE/XF where the valve would stick open and the rod would pop out, mostly from cars that hadn't been started for a while. The dreaded cam lobe wear was also a cause.
FERG_51 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2013, 01:31 AM   #134
rab

I had an XG ute that had been ran from new by TNT couriers, tub inside was rough, panels straight.
Had a few coats of paint, replaced diff at about 400,000 Klms, ran like a champ until a tax it boned me but the speed was wonky, approximately half a million Klms, still went great !
Miss it dearly but I sold it to scottee so I know it went to a ford lover.
rab is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2013, 07:08 PM   #135
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just had the old XR6 wagon at the local garage getting the front end checked out because it wore the insides of the front tyres out really bad....

They switched the front tyres left to right and right to left then put them on the back axle and the rears on the front so now i have two very good tyres on the front again.

They reckon the upper and lower control arm bushes are a bit worn but i could probably get away with camber kits...

They also said new control arms are quite expensive.

Had a look on Ebay and i can get two extended thread kits with all the shims for about $220.....When i get some more money I will get the kits and get the guys at the servo to fit them and do an alignment so the tyres last alot longer...

Pretty good for a 300,000k car!

Last edited by GASWAGON; 07-11-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old 25-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #136
q812475

Quote:
A lot of my initial AU experience was as a cabbie, you couldn't kill them ( and some drivers tried hard). then they started to retire the AUs due to statutory age requirements and the new great BA started to replace then , to call this a backwards step would be an under statement. the true test of a car is the taxi industry and the AU took everything we threw at them
Wow! I never new AU is the best! I am so happy to hear about it though! because I bought 2002 Ford Fairmont AU III with 50,000 kms on the clock!
q812475 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2013, 08:13 PM   #137
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by q812475 View Post
Wow! I never new AU is the best! I am so happy to hear about it though! because I bought 2002 Ford Fairmont AU III with 50,000 kms on the clock!
This new member just got a great deal and a great car.. Been chattin to him in the LPG section.........Wer the hell do you find an AU3 Mont with this many k's....Wish I knew?
Old 25-11-2013, 10:58 PM   #138
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
you mean the one with the push rods that loved bending then jumping out of the lifter? I used to carry a spare push rod and tube spanner (to remove the rocker cover bolts quickly) I had it down to 15 minutes to replace one . yea real reliable
I knew a 4.1 XE that had a problem with bent push rods. It was heavily neglected, though. It was a real oil burner that drove around with discoloured panels. I doubt that car is still in existence today.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2013, 11:04 PM   #139
q812475

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_6 View Post
This new member just got a great deal and a great car.. Been chattin to him in the LPG section.........Wer the hell do you find an AU3 Mont with this many k's....Wish I knew?
I can't wait to contribute to this thread, but I guess it will be a while, since it may take 3-5 years to make judgement! LOL
Old 25-11-2013, 11:10 PM   #140
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by q812475 View Post
I can't wait to contribute to this thread, but I guess it will be a while, since it may take 3-5 years to make judgement! LOL
Ye and the great thing is you say you are a mechanic so you will be able to fix most things yourself......All the pre BA models are pretty easy to fix which is also why i like them so much.
Old 25-11-2013, 11:45 PM   #141
q812475

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_6 View Post
Ye and the great thing is you say you are a mechanic so you will be able to fix most things yourself......All the pre BA models are pretty easy to fix which is also why i like them so much.
If I can fix Boeing 747, I can fix Falcon. I have to get myself OBD code reader though - impossible to do diagnostics without it. I had Falcon EA before, it wasn't a good choice. But I kept fixing it and it was strong workhorse. I remember loading about 700 kg of bricks at the back never seen car seatting that low! done 200,000 on it (I converted to LPG).
Old 04-12-2013, 06:09 PM   #142
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

My BA is more reliable than my AU was.
AU S sedan did a radiator, air con pump, and needed the gearbox changed, luckily when still under warranty, and before 60000K's.
BA XR 6 sedan has had an alternator and power steering pump, brakes machined at 60000k's and is now at 135000k
XRtowcar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2013, 08:17 PM   #143
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRtowcar View Post
My BA is more reliable than my AU was.
AU S sedan did a radiator, air con pump, and needed the gearbox changed, luckily when still under warranty, and before 60000K's.
BA XR 6 sedan has had an alternator and power steering pump, brakes machined at 60000k's and is now at 135000k
Gees trans before 60,000k that's not good.....never heard of an AU doing that before.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:13 PM   #144
OCTANEBOSS

For me it was 1968 xt falcon 3 on the tree. My Grandfathers last car in which he handed to me for $ 100.00 cash & registered. 2 bench seats, no seat belts in the back standard & the old radio. A bit of a hand full to drive hard like most of them cars of that generation. Did manage the magic ton a couple of times on Geelong road but those razor blades were a bit hairy on cornering. Strong panel on that old girl too. Owned it for 2 years on P plates then sold it going & roadworthy completely stock because I was eying off an XC wagon ( regret that ) Caned it a fair bit too & the only thing I shagged was a gearbox which was a easy change out in the little sixes. Tough car IMO
OCTANEBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2013, 06:27 AM   #145
robertjp

Quote:
Originally Posted by redloamrules View Post
For me it was 1968 xt falcon 3 on the tree. My Grandfathers last car in which he handed to me for $ 100.00 cash & registered. 2 bench seats, no seat belts in the back standard & the old radio. A bit of a hand full to drive hard like most of them cars of that generation. Did manage the magic ton a couple of times on Geelong road but those razor blades were a bit hairy on cornering. Strong panel on that old girl too. Owned it for 2 years on P plates then sold it going & roadworthy completely stock because I was eying off an XC wagon ( regret that ) Caned it a fair bit too & the only thing I shagged was a gearbox which was a easy change out in the little sixes. Tough car IMO
Funny I was just thinking of my first car, XT Fairmont wagon. Could not kill it, would do 80km/h in first... man was that howling! Bit of a handful in the wet though!
robertjp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2013, 04:49 PM   #146
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by redloamrules View Post
Nice car......A friend of my 22 yr old step son just picked up an XA 302 Fairmont with...Get this......73,000k's.....And a log of EVERY fill and the cost in Gallons and Kilometeres......Got it for 12 k.......Already been offered 16K.

When he bought it to my place to store in shed for 6 months he left it running and I thought it was just a 200CI cos it soooo quiet....He said he didn't know what it was.... He opens the bonnet and thers a fricken 4.9 Clevo sitting ther idling so smooth it wasn't funny.

The car has original wheels with hubcaps, NO rust at all and very clean interior.

Reckons he'll keep it for his kids...I reckon he should dump it and drive it!