Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-10-2012, 08:24 PM   #121
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: New QLD hoon laws...this is a worry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
Sometimes the law is an ***. That is why I often witness people spend massive amounts of time on the wrong side of the road when overtaking.
Yes the law is an *** sometimes, but im not sure what your inferring in this case?

Are you saying there should be different speed limits based on your car?

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 08:38 PM   #122
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Yes the law is an *** sometimes, but im not sure what your inferring in this case?

Are you saying there should be different speed limits based on your car?
It is impossible to have a head on collision if both oncoming vehicles are on their own side of the road so the least amount of time spent overtaking the lower the chance of a head on......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 08:44 PM   #123
B&D Racing
Banned

Now why ya gotta go making sense there Flappy ?
B&D Racing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 08:55 PM   #124
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Still doesnt answer my question....

Old 15-10-2012, 08:57 PM   #125
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
I am sick of this argument, people are not interested in doing it legally, Calder park which is around 30 minutes drive out of the Melbourne CBD and is located in the western suburbs, had to call off the off street drags 2 weeks ago because they could not get enough people. Calder is not out of the way, is a great venue, but for some reason, when everyone complains no legal events, and there is one, no one turns up to run there car.

I know heaps of guys who drift and race on the street, for them the reason they do it on the street, is because they can. Build more tracks in Melbourne and no one will turn up IMO.
Why dont people turn up ???
It isnt all to do with the distance to travel
Its the rediculous costs at the gate , the massive line up, the licence fees if any
How about the government instead of hiding all this millions they make in revenue, they sponsor or donate some $$$ to these events to run
Why do events need silly money at the gate, why not solely funded by sponsors and minimal if any gate takings ???
It works in the USA, why not here ???
Greed, thats why
Noone is interested in helping get the wombats of the street, its all about how much money can we make in a fine
Maybe, heres a thought, how about a free gate pass to an event with every fine you get, would that help curb the stoopidity ???
Theres more to it than , everyone is a hoon, and lets crush the cars
Half these desk jockies havent been in anything other than a smart car, and those who have were probably hoons themselves
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 09:23 PM   #126
B&D Racing
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Still doesnt answer my question....
Given your previous stand on these issues Jim , that is your actual name isn't it?

It is hard .... very hard to respond without getting a thread locked !!

We overtake / we speed / we live to go home and wash the car ...such is life without internet i'm right you're wrong blah blah...

Poet?
Old 15-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #127
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Jim isnt my name.. just like im sure your "name" isnt B and D racing.... (but yea lets start with the jibes)..

My question was simple... it was in responce to several comments made.
Its very easy to make statements on here but seemingly answering a simple question is all to difficult sometimes..

Old 15-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #128
B&D Racing
Banned

Goose then ??
Old 15-10-2012, 09:48 PM   #129
The Monty
Just slidin'

@ Jim Goose.
I asked a page or two back if anyone has ever been booked for a hooning offence. Apparently noone saw that post, lol.
Old 15-10-2012, 09:56 PM   #130
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

May be time to read the OP before making a post/comment, if the thread continues to be aimed at a personal level it will be lost.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 10:00 PM   #131
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

QLD nothing.. three strikes in ten years SA.....

TEN YEARS...
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 10:01 PM   #132
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I happily overtake as quickly and as safely as i can. I havn't been booked once for speeding in my 9 years of driving. Im not about to change my habits now. If i cop a fine i will wear it, at least im alive. a few times, if i did the speed limit overtaking, i would have been taken out.
fordomatic is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #133
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
Sometimes the law is an ***. That is why I often witness people spend massive amounts of time on the wrong side of the road when overtaking.
May be you are right about the law, but what we have is what we have, we all know the rules, some of us break them and when caught complain with some sort of excuse as to why they are different, weather it's the car they drive, how far they are from Sydney, it's the cops fault, there was a truck dropping gravel that made me speed, I accidentally spun the wheels, (insert any excuse used here), but at the end of the day we all know what the rules are.

Does not necessarily mean they are right, but that is all we have at the moment, and I can almost guarantee if EVERYONE followed the rules we would have less road trauma, but it will never happen, as every day I see people doing crazy and dangerous things, as a matter of fact I had to run off the narrow country road I was driving on this morning into the dirt as the oncoming driver was either texting or doing something and veered straight into my lane wish the cops were there then

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic
......a few times, if i did the speed limit overtaking, i would have been taken out.
So it was that important that you got in front of that slightly slower driver that you had to break the law as well as risk your own life and that of the poor person/family coming the other way?? What was so important that you had to take such a risk, you are dead for a long time

How about some patience till it is safe to overtake and everyone gets to go home??? Or is that just too far out there to consider

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Last edited by XB GS 351 Coupe; 15-10-2012 at 10:08 PM.
XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 10:13 PM   #134
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe
Does not necessarily mean they are right, but that is all we have at the moment, and I can almost guarantee if EVERYONE followed the rules we would have less road trauma, but it will never happen, as every day I see people doing crazy and dangerous things, as a matter of fact I had to run off the narrow country road I was driving on this morning into the dirt as the oncoming driver was either texting or doing something and veered straight into my lane wish the cops were there then
People break the traffic rules, sometimes on purpose, sometimes by mistake.

The trouble with hoon laws are that they are the concoction of pollies that want to appear to be tough on these dangers to society. They use emotive language. They are punitive. They are out of whack with fines levelled at other infractions in our society.
Old 15-10-2012, 10:14 PM   #135
B&D Racing
Banned

Quote:
I happily overtake as quickly and as safely as i can. I havn't been booked once for speeding in my 9 years of driving. Im not about to change my habits now. If i cop a fine i will wear it, at least im alive. a few times, if i did the speed limit overtaking, i would have been taken out.
More common sense .... what is happening ?

Reality perhaps ??
Old 15-10-2012, 10:20 PM   #136
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Hoon laws good, overzealous policing bad. End.

My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 10:22 PM   #137
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
People break the traffic rules, sometimes on purpose, sometimes by mistake.

The trouble with hoon laws are that they are the concoction of pollies that want to appear to be tough on these dangers to society. They use emotive language. They are punitive. They are out of whack with fines levelled at other infractions in our society.
You might be right there, but the amount of P platers and others wrapped around power poles with cars torn to shreds and body parts everywhere demands some attention.

Personally I am not too concerned about these laws as I have not even had a parking ticket for over a decade, but if it somehow stops that out of control 200SX with P plates coming my way next time I am out for a drive I will be a happy man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&D Racing
More common sense .... what is happening ?

Reality perhaps ??
So you consider risking your life and that of other innocent drivers that may come the other way for the sake of getting in front of a car that might be travelling 2 or 3 km under the limit common sense

Please let me know when you are out for a drive so I can keep my family home and cars in the garage

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 15-10-2012, 10:26 PM   #138
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:

So it was that important that you got in front of that slightly slower driver that you had to break the law as well as risk your own life and that of the poor person/family coming the other way?? What was so important that you had to take such a risk, you are dead for a long time

How about some patience till it is safe to overtake and everyone gets to go home??? Or is that just too far out there to consider

Jump to assumptions much???? actually one time that sticks in my mind was when i had overtaking a b-double and as i did i noticed he was texting, just as i got passed him the truck went straight into the other lane, if i was still there in the lane i would have been a goner. Another time i got past a caravan and i noticed in my rearview mirror, the car swerve all over the road and crash. One of the tyres blew, caused swaying and tipped the van straight over.

God i love this forum lately
Old 15-10-2012, 10:29 PM   #139
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Jump to assumptions much????
No assumptions just quoting what you wrote!

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 15-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #140
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:

Please let me know when you are out for a drive so I can keep my family home and cars in the garage
With all these "hoons" around i am amazed you even go out for a drive. You are probably lucky to be alive
Old 15-10-2012, 10:33 PM   #141
The Monty
Just slidin'

Ok, just to help you guys out, there is actually offences that relate directly too hooning. Just trying to get this thread back on track.

Quote:
Quote:
Q: Where can I find a copy of the hoon legislation and what it allows police officers to do?
The Police Powers and Responsibilities Act 2000 creates the ability for members of the Queensland Police Service to impound vehicles involved in hooning activities when a prescribed offence is detected. This legislation can be accessed via the website of the Office of the Queensland Parliamentary Counsel at www.legislation.qld.gov.au/Legislation.htm.

The definition of a prescribed offence in the Police Powers and Responsibilities Act 2000 means:

an offence against the Criminal Code, section 328A (Dangerous Driving) committed on a road or in a public place; or
an offence against the Road Use Management Act, section 83; or
an offence against the Road Use Management Act, section 85; (Racing or Speed Trials) or
an offence against the Road Use Management Act involving wilfully starting a vehicle, or driving a vehicle, in a way that makes unnecessary noise or smoke.
Old 15-10-2012, 10:34 PM   #142
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
No assumptions just quoting what you wrote!
Well read what i wrote again, you clearly got it wrong

I never said i overtake unsafely either, i am not a hoon, i simply get passed the car as safely and as quickly as i can. I never said i take on traffic like you are implying. If you want to sit on the other side of the road for longer, good on you, but i rather get passed the threat of a collision and move on
Old 15-10-2012, 10:36 PM   #143
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember when I started driving on the OLD Pacific hwy northern N.S.W and gold coast hwy there used to be signs on most of the bends, 65 70.75 kmh. For the first couple of trips I thought these were the recommended limits for the bend in question and that was it. Didn't take long to work out that no one took any notice of them and low and behold my old XT at the time could go round them a bit quicker.
As I upgraded cars over those wonderful years of two lane bliss so to did the challenge of cornering a bit better each time (always under that magic 100 kmh Jim). However overtaking was treated a little bit differently. As quick as you could stuff the speed limit! This sort of behavior is now frowned upon by both the law and the dogooders (as I found out in a previous thread) out there who think that everybody is braindead. FFS where is the logic in the argument that semi or for that matter a 1800 kg falcon can tow a 2300 kg caravan at the same speed legally on the same peice of road as you in your falcon or whatever. Oh thats right it's the law.
The MOST dangerous act that should attract big fines is wakers on mobiles wayy more dangerous than someone paying attention when their overtaking those law abideing numnuts who do 80kmh until the overtaking lane then 100 kmh to make sure no one breaks the law. These are d/heads who complain about tailgaters.
End of rant. I'm a hoon .
GREGL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 10:43 PM   #144
The Monty
Just slidin'

I actually did supply all this legislation before, but it seems like noone bothered to look, rather just argue about it regardless.
The offences which renders a member of the QPS able to impound a vehicle are as follows:
328A Dangerous operation of a vehicle
(1) A person who operates, or in any way interferes with the
operation of, a vehicle dangerously in any place commits a
misdemeanour.
Maximum penalty—200 penalty units or 3 years
imprisonment.
Definitions in relation to this offence:
(6) In this section—
excessively speeding means driving or operating a vehicle at a
speed more than 40km/h over the speed limit applying to the
driver under the Transport Operations (Road Use
Management) Act 1995.
operates, or in any way interferes with the operation of, a
vehicle dangerously means operate, or in any way interfere
with the operation of, a vehicle at a speed or in a way that is
dangerous to the public, having regard to all the
circumstances, including—
(a) the nature, condition and use of the place; and
(b) the nature and condition of the vehicle; and
(c) the number of persons, vehicles or other objects that are,
or might reasonably be expected to be, in the place; and
the public includes passengers in a vehicle whether in a public
or private place.
unlawful race means a race involving a vehicle in
contravention of the Transport Operations (Road Use
Management) Act 1995, section 85.
unlawful speed trial mean a trial of the speed of a vehicle in
contravention of the Transport Operations (Road Use
Management) Act 1995, section 85.

83 Careless driving of motor vehicles
Any person who drives a motor vehicle on a road or elsewhere
without due care and attention or without reasonable
consideration for other persons using the road or place is
guilty of an offence.
Maximum penalty—40 penalty units or 6 months
imprisonment.

85 Racing and speed trials on roads
(1) Any person who organises or promotes or takes part in—
(a) any race between vehicles or animals on a road; or
(b) any attempt to establish or break any vehicle or animal
speed record on a road; or
(c) any trial of the speed of a vehicle or animal on a road; or
(d) any competitive trial designed to test the skill of any
vehicle driver or the reliability or mechanical condition
of any vehicle on any road where a prize or trophy or
other benefit or advantage in excess of the value of $100
may be won by a competitor;
is guilty of an offence, unless the prior permission in writing
of the commissioner to the holding or making of the race,
attempt, or trial has been obtained.
imprisonment.
(2) The commissioner has power to grant or refuse permits under
this section.
(3) The commissioner may in any such permit impose any
conditions the commissioner deems necessary in the interests
of public safety or convenience.
(4) Any such permit or conditions may be of general or limited
application.
(5) If any person organising, promoting, or taking part in any
such race, attempt, or trial contravenes or fails to comply with
any condition imposed as aforesaid, that person is guilty of an
offence.
imprisonment.
(6) If the court convicts a person of an offence against subsection
(1), the court, in addition to imposing a penalty, must
disqualify the person from holding or obtaining a Queensland
driver licence for a period of at least 6 months.

291 Making unnecessary noise or smoke
(1) A person must not—
(a) start a vehicle, or drive a vehicle, in a way that makes
unnecessary noise or smoke; or
(b) wilfully start a vehicle, or drive a vehicle, in a way that
makes unnecessary noise or smoke.
Maximum penalty—20 penalty units.
Example for paragraph (a)—
driving a vehicle in a way that causes noise or smoke because of—
(a) disrepair of the vehicle; or
(b) the way the vehicle is loaded; or
(c) the condition, construction or adjustment of the vehicle’s engine
or other equipment
Example for paragraph (b)—
driving a vehicle in a way that causes noise or smoke by wilfully and
unnecessarily causing the wheels of the vehicle to lose traction and spin
on the road surface
Note—
An offence against paragraph (b) is an offence mentioned in the Police
Powers and Responsibilities Act 2000, section 69A(1)(d).

So if anyone actually wonders why I know this legislation, I got hooked on reading and interpretting legislation when I was studying a bit of law. I love it, and considering what is contained in it all, I dont understand why more people dont get into it.

Regards,
The Monty
Old 15-10-2012, 10:52 PM   #145
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rule 83 would fill the jails up here.
Old 15-10-2012, 10:59 PM   #146
The Monty
Just slidin'

So to make it even easier for the people reading, I will word it like this:

If you dont:
Dangerously operate a motor vehicle (as stated)
Speed by more than 40km/h
Drive an overly unroadworthy car
Overload your car
Involve yourself in a race
Drive a vehicle carelessly (as outlined)
Engage in a race or speed trial, or
Start or drive a vehicle that makes unnecessary noise or smoke

Then your car CAN not be taken from you.
And then, even if you DO do one of these acts stated, a police officer can and will still use discretion as to whether they will impound or not.

So, if you are stupid enough to do any of these, and are stupid enough to get caught, dont be a ***** to the cop, as your car will be gone.

Or, you can just drive normally and have nothing to worry about.
Old 15-10-2012, 11:05 PM   #147
B&D Racing
Banned

Quote:

So you consider risking your life and that of other innocent drivers that may come the other way for the sake of getting in front of a car that might be travelling 2 or 3 km under the limit common sense

Mate give yourself an uppercut.. and stay out of the R/H lane is my advice !!
Old 15-10-2012, 11:11 PM   #148
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Settle down a bit boys and girls ....... discuss without getting the personal insults out. High horses and other agendas can be left at the door please.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 11:26 PM   #149
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm probably being a bit pedantic here but what is the definition of a "not overly unroadworthy car". it's either roadworthy or its not, If not should it really be on the road ragardless of how "normally" it's driven .
The point I'm trying to make is there are so many shades of grey in these laws that owning a perfomance car is kinda pointless these days. Spirited driving these days is becoming a memory, a fang through an area you know there is no pedestrians, little traffic and no sideroads is a lottery. Will I get off on a warning for causing undue noise between corners when the the boss goes above 4000rpm (the only time it really sounds good) and giving it a bit at the old cleveland rd. lights with nothig in front of me for half a kay to the speed limit.
Starting to feel pretty pointless owning it if this the future.

Last edited by GREGL; 15-10-2012 at 11:53 PM.
Old 15-10-2012, 11:28 PM   #150
Trav199
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i see what the law states as posted by monty... What im worried about is the Police bending it to make it suit them. Its been done before..

P.B 10.97@129.6MPH

CPV TUNING
Trav199 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post