Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-07-2009, 08:47 PM   #121
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangm001
The FG MKII GTHO (if they ever do it!) will probably be the most expensive new Aussie ford made.. Will that stop some of us for wanting or buying one.. I think not..
If it's the same price as the C'dore I will be more annoyed than anything. Why make a car that you can only wish you could own and at $150,000 will be to much of a pipe dream for most. Make it at least a more realistic price .... say under $99,000 .... that would at least give more of a chance to get into into the mainstream market and not just for the elitist's. A 'hero car' for a manufacturer is great to have ... but if it's so exclusive in number because of price ..... well for me, whats the point?

If it came in at a fair price realistically above the best on offer at the moment, yep I would want one and could possibly hope to buy one, one day ....... but no way for twice the amount of the highest similar model on offer at present. Once these things hit BMW, Audi, Merc etc pricing .... boy there is alot of great choice out there already.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 08:57 PM   #122
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
If it's the same price as the C'dore I will be more annoyed than anything. .........

Well chances are it would be just as pricey. There's quite a bit of design and compliance costs that go into what is basically a jobbing project.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 09:16 PM   #123
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
If it's the same price as the C'dore I will be more annoyed than anything.
If FPV screw up like HSV did then yes, it would be overpriced.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:18 PM   #124
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
If FPV screw up like HSV did then yes, it would be overpriced.
Im not sure how they stuffed up to be honest, ive seen what was involved including some of the costs... i cant see how FPV could do it any differently or cheaply without compromising the result..

Old 12-07-2009, 09:27 PM   #125
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im not sure how they stuffed up to be honest, ive seen what was involved including some of the costs... i cant see how FPV could do it any differently or cheaply without compromising the result..
Unfortunately if whatever they do people will complain.
Lets say:
Mechanical only changes with a HO badge and sticker package for 100k. 'oh its like the regular gt...its a sticker pack...like the cobra (even if it had a better engine and suspension then the GT's before).

The full hog for 150k. 'oh its too expensive no one will buy it...wah wah wah'.

Besides the 'racing heritage'. What did the HO have over the GT back in the day?
Old 12-07-2009, 09:29 PM   #126
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Possibly, at sometime, they should have just thought .... "What the hell are we doing?" Yep, the GFC was not around when things started but really .... its FORD & GMH we are talking about. What's wrong with making something that isn't so far off the planet that R&D makes it so prohibitive. It doesn't need to be TT with off the wall dyno figures (would be nice ) .... just something quicker that looks damn tough is all that might be required. But it MUST be not exclusive .... or a numbered run.

| [/url] |

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-07-2009, 09:31 PM   #127
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
They didn't count on Holden not installing the LS7 on their (Holden's) assembly line; effectively meant they had to take the LS3 out and put the LS7 in themselves. Double-handling, selling the LS3s, and everything else that comes with the job, etc, influenced it's higher than expected price.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:39 PM   #128
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Possibly, at sometime, they should have just thought .... "What the hell are we doing?" Yep, the GFC was not around when things started but really .... its FORD & GMH we are talking about. What's wrong with making something that isn't so far off the planet that R&D makes it so prohibitive. It doesn't need to be TT with off the wall dyno figures (would be nice ) .... just something quicker that looks damn tough is all that might be required. But it MUST be not exclusive .... or a numbered run.
They nearly pulled the pin when the sky clouded over but some elements were to far down the track to stop.
I think we are spoilt with the regular product range to be honest, i think its too easy to forget how damn good the current regular FPV and HSV products are.. To bring out something that's significantly better than the rest of the pack like the W427 is costs a packet...
There's the cheap way and the proper way, the "cheaper" VXR SC Clubsport might make pretty dyno numbers but it isnt a patch on the W427as a pure sports/track tool.
Im not sure you could pick a point in price and performance half way between the std range and where the W427 is and please anyone..
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Last edited by 4Vman; 12-07-2009 at 09:57 PM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 09:42 PM   #129
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
They didn't count on Holden not installing the LS7 on their (Holden's) assembly line; effectively meant they had to take the LS3 out and put the LS7 in themselves. Double-handling, selling the LS3s, and everything else that comes with the job, etc, influenced it's higher than expected price.
Absolutely! but i doubt FPV are any better off for those kinds of issues...

Old 12-07-2009, 10:00 PM   #130
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well said guys, sometimes we all need to step back and think how lucky we are that such a small market like ours has such a great range of locally built vehicles. We truly are the lucky country.......
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 10:10 PM   #131
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
If the standard GT has a supercharged engine then in theory it would be easier to wind up the boost a little and make a few changes, like the difference between an XR6 Turbo and an F6. Nothing but a different set of pistons, bigger injectors and intercooler, and an oil cooler, which should keep R&D costs lower than going high strung NA.

If the Mustang GT500 uses a similar, but more powerful engine it would be even easier. It would save them the trouble of paying over 20k for a hand built engine like HSV had to do with the WD40 over the cost of the LS3 as well, and would also in theory allow the engine to be fitted on line, saving further dollars over the W427.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 10:16 PM   #132
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
If the standard GT has a supercharged engine then in theory it would be easier to wind up the boost a little and make a few changes, like the difference between an XR6 Turbo and an F6. Nothing but a different set of pistons, bigger injectors and intercooler, and an oil cooler, which should keep R&D costs lower than going high strung NA.

If the Mustang GT500 uses a similar, but more powerful engine it would be even easier. It would save them the trouble of paying over 20k for a hand built engine like HSV had to do with the WD40 over the cost of the LS3 as well, and would also in theory allow the engine to be fitted on line, saving further dollars over the W427.
That's fine if it turned out that easy and cheap which i doubt but what about the rest of the car!!!!!!!!!!! There's over a $mill in developing a new body kit, then driveline and suspension, brakes, interior... some people are too focused on just the engine and dyno figures...
HSV steered well clear of forced induction for a host of reasons including buyer backlash, it had to be naturally aspirated to achieve their goals, some of which arent tangible....

Last edited by 4Vman; 12-07-2009 at 10:23 PM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 10:29 PM   #133
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't understand why people are against forced induction. It improves the efficiency of the the motor, correct?
Old 12-07-2009, 10:31 PM   #134
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

here u go guys a vid i found, it aint the 427 but the next one down http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BOMapeA6Dg

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 10:40 PM   #135
Ibrox90
Banned

The W in W427 stands for Walkinshaw to my understanding so look at it as a walkinshaw on a Holden body

HIS
THUNDER
2004 BA XR8
Blueprint

Mods:
Quad Exhaust, Hi-Flow Air filter, BFtiming chain tensioners, Billet Oil pump gears
stage 2 shift kit, riding on G6ET 18's

HERS
FLASH
BA MKII XR6 Turbo
Phantom Purple
Typhoon front end

Parking your ford after a long day of being Awesome
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Parkin...37774932974038
Ibrox90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 10:42 PM   #136
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
I don't understand why people are against forced induction. It improves the efficiency of the the motor, correct?
Efficiency.........yes....but there's always the pitfalls.......

It puts more demand on the engines lubrication system....and a FI set up generates more heat. More heat means potentially unstable HP and Torque. Getting all this to work reliably and CONSISTENTLY on a factory offered car to meet all EPA requirements throughout the warranty period is a considerable challenge.......especially when you've never done it before.

Then there's always all the issues with drivetrain with the added immediacy and brutality of the TORQUE curve.

That's why, if FPV ever did a FI set up, don't expect an out of the BOX monster...........a mild upgrade in power from the current N/A set up is more likely.
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 10:56 PM   #137
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
They nearly pulled the pin when the sky clouded over but some elements were to far down the track to stop.
I think we are spoilt with the regular product range to be honest, i think its too easy to forget how damn good the current regular FPV and HSV products are.. To bring out something that's significantly better than the rest of the pack like the W427 is costs a packet...
There's the cheap way and the proper way, the "cheaper" VXR SC Clubsport might make pretty dyno numbers but it isnt a patch on the W427as a pure sports/track tool.
Im not sure you could pick a point in price and performance half way between the std range and where the W427 is and please anyone..
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Agree .... scares me that I do though

If you look at the range from both GMH & FORD .... for such a small market it is staggering .... then add the FPV, HSV offerings.

Just in the Falcon range (1 model only) Everything from an XT to the GTE, 90% of the public couldn't tell you off the cuff what was in between and the configerations available. Its good to be spoilt and yet ..... bring out a Cobra or 5th Anniversary and eveyone goes off tap because its not 500rwk's. Yes you can't please everyone

| [/url] |

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-07-2009, 11:05 PM   #138
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
A 'hero car' for a manufacturer is great to have ... but if it's so exclusive in number because of price ..... well for me, whats the point?
Good point.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2009, 12:16 AM   #139
Kaan
Mercury XR6

It is way too much money to spend on a HSV. I don't understand HSV brand. Because there is a lot of them around with the other names. For example: hsv, vauxhall, pontiac. Which one is real? Which ones are copies? If you guys work it out tell me please. Here is the Vauxhall VXR8

Kaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2009, 12:20 AM   #140
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akyuz
It is way too much money to spend on a HSV. I don't understand HSV brand. Because there is a lot of them around with the other names. For example: hsv, vauxhall, pontiac. Which one is real? Which ones are copies? If you guys work it out tell me please. Here is the Vauxhall VXR8
They're exported vehicles, named under the local product banner. Why? Don't know. Perhaps they expect more sales than if they called it an HSV in England, USA or the Middle East. Though didn't one of the Vauxhall models come with a supercharged version...?

To me it would be like the US exporting a Corvette to Australia under Holden and calling it a Holden CVT.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2009, 12:29 AM   #141
Kaan
Mercury XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
They're exported vehicles, named under the local product banner. Why? Don't know. Perhaps they expect more sales than if they called it an HSV in England, USA or the Middle East. Though didn't one of the Vauxhall models come with a supercharged version...?

To me it would be like the US exporting a Corvette to Australia under Holden and calling it a Holden CVT.
thanks for the info. I am little bit far to these HSV business. I owned a holden once and I will never make that mistake again. It was crappiest car I've ever driven. (VX Commodore)
Kaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2009, 10:00 AM   #142
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
To a point, a F/I engine will gobble fuel like a N/A engine when its driven hard, you need to burn fuel to make power.
Reliability and power delivery characteristics are the main draw backs, simple as that.
F/I is great for street driven vehicles but as we've seen in higher demand racing or track conditions they bring an extra dimension that NA doesn't need to cope with.
N/A vehicles are "easier" to drive flat out too.

Old 13-07-2009, 12:47 PM   #143
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:

The main problem is the lead foot tends to increase by the square of the boost level.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2009, 02:16 PM   #144
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I understand now, it's just that my rationale was Diesels are so much better when turbo'ed and the same goes for the I6, but supercharging has never really caught on in oz....... Anyone remember the supercharged ecotec?
Old 13-07-2009, 02:30 PM   #145
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I understand now, it's just that my rationale was Diesels are so much better when turbo'ed and the same goes for the I6, but supercharging has never really caught on in oz....... Anyone remember the supercharged ecotec?
Not sure what you mean by that?
"straight" configuration engines are easier to turbo charge, "V" configuration engines are easier to pd supercharge, both are legitimate forms of forced induction, both can produce the same results, supercharging of diesel engines has been around for decades.

Old 13-07-2009, 02:36 PM   #146
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by that?
"straight" configuration engines are easier to turbo charge, "V" configuration engines are easier to supercharge, both are legitimate forms of forced induction, both can produce the same results, supercharging of diesel engines has been around for decades.
Sorry, what I am trying to get at is, if turbo diesels are much better than n/a diesels and the turbo I6 is much better than the n/a I6, then why has neither manufacturer looked at offering a factory fitted twin turbo or supercharged V8? Does not have to be a raging beast, just a little bit of boost up the top end to make you feel special? CAPA has been doing it for years and yet the factories don't want to know about it.....
Old 13-07-2009, 02:40 PM   #147
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sorry, what I am trying to get at is, if turbo diesels are much better than n/a diesels and the turbo I6 is much better than the n/a I6, then why has neither manufacturer looked at offering a factory fitted twin turbo or supercharged V8? Does not have to be a raging beast, just a little bit of boost up the top end to make you feel special? CAPA has been doing it for years and yet the factories don't want to know about it.....
I still don't follow, what do you mean by "better"?
F/I costs more money. Reliability is a factor too... it isnt a cheap way to gain factory performance where build numbers are relatively low.
Until now the NA V8's we have are fine for the job, but the new 5.0 will have FI to compensate for engine capacity.
Forced induction is merely a way of creating artificial engine capacity, in essence it makes a small capacity engine behave like a larger capacity engine when called upon to perform but .. "better" isn't probably the right term.

Old 13-07-2009, 02:53 PM   #148
dandandandan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp

I'd assume they are rebadged/renamed in other countries because those countries haven't heard of HSV or Holden brands and so the companies that are importing the vehicles rename them under their branding i.e SS Commodore as to Pontiac G8 so that there is familiarity in the countries that these are being sold to.

BA MKII XR6T, Vixen, Leather, Sunroof.
Stock as a rock... Till after xmas :evil3:
dandandandan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2009, 08:25 PM   #149
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
That's fine if it turned out that easy and cheap which i doubt but what about the rest of the car!!!!!!!!!!! There's over a $mill in developing a new body kit, then driveline and suspension, brakes, interior... some people are too focused on just the engine and dyno figures...
HSV steered well clear of forced induction for a host of reasons including buyer backlash, it had to be naturally aspirated to achieve their goals, some of which arent tangible....
I was just trying to make the point that without having to pay for the LS3, and then pay for an extra 20k LS7 on top of that FPV should be able to produce a GTHO for less money than a W427, by using an upgraded version of the base GT engine.

Why would HSV go for forced induction, they had an engine on the shelf that is near identical on the outside to their current engine that delivered the power they wanted. The ZR1 engine would not have been available to them yet, and would have required a lot more effort to fit.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post