Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-03-2009, 05:41 PM   #121
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCoupedUp
I'm pretty sure now that I'm firmly in the non-holden side of the court so thanks for all your help guys.
Good stuff, now we won't need to organise that intervention.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:48 PM   #122
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmm.. im skeptical.. i'll reserve judgment till we see proof of purchase!!!

Old 06-03-2009, 12:46 AM   #123
AllCoupedUp
Garage Dreaming...

Location: In the garage - waiting for the car to build itself!!

haha - 4V. Lets just say that my head spins often, but recently (especially after this thread) it has actually been stuck on the G6ET, with glimpses of Force...

Now where did that TL-50 go that I saw for sale a while back............... bwah wawa.
AllCoupedUp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2009, 06:03 AM   #124
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've found the car for you:
http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...cs=7&silo=1011

Dealer car - 2002 BMW 745i $54,990

Luxury everything and a V8 to boot (0-100 in 6.3).

Review from Fifth Gear: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUTYapYGyX8
5.4 GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2009, 06:38 AM   #125
azaxr8

bmw, beautiful heap of crap. that interior is shocking. and that steering wheel looks like it just came out of a 70's xy
azaxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2009, 07:40 AM   #126
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by azaxr8
bmw, beautiful heap of crap. that interior is shocking. and that steering wheel looks like it just came out of a 70's xy
Yeh steering wheel looks a bit funny but here are some better pics of the 2002 E65 745i interior:

The quality of materials used in the interior are exceptional. Got to remember this was a 240k car back in 2002.

Makes a mockery of anything the locals can produce and is a bargain at this price with all the stuff it comes with.
5.4 GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2009, 08:16 AM   #127
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd go the Caprice also if a luxo V8 is what you're after...Holden have that market wrapped up now with Fairlane/LTD gone......Looks nice mate....streets ahead of the Force 8.....I wouldn't hesitate...Enjoy
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2009, 12:50 PM   #128
AllCoupedUp
Garage Dreaming...

Nice cars those 7's... What you guys think of the styling / car? Honestly! I don't mind it as it sort has commanding looks and is a little brash - looks great lowered too, but something about the front doesn't quite look right.

Servicing is not cheap either especially if something goes wrong. I had a 2002 5 Series a couple of years ago and the servicing and replacement costs of parts just got dearer and dearer as the years went by... That's my only concern about the BMW's... Oh, I might struggle to get the car packaged as it's second hand.

Does anyone on here own one of the 7's? (They might in the minority but hey worth a try), I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the car.
-------------
There's just too many bloody options!!

I'm going to try and not think about the whole car situation until I find a serious buyer for our Subi. I might even focus on the Coupe for while and see what happens...
Old 07-03-2009, 01:03 PM   #129
Scott

My boss has had 2 750's, he loves them. It must be an odd sensation to pay ~$300k for a car then sell it 5 yrs later for $30k to his neighbour but they seem happy.

I guess when your biggest gripe is that the H2 doesn't fit in the shed at the "Coast Home" things like resale are not really so important.

I've hit him up for his next 750 when he upgrades, will let you know if I have any joy ;)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2009, 01:18 PM   #130
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Well, if your going to consider the BMW, you may as well check these out, the same thing applies, they are going for around about the 69K mark, but you could probably bargain them down a fair bit.

http://www.carpoint.com.au/used-car/...sn6107105.aspx

http://www.carpoint.com.au/used-car/...sn6523724.aspx
Old 07-03-2009, 02:08 PM   #131
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz
Cheers mate - Positive comments like that can make me almost justify the fat wad of cash and fuel bill :togo:
Best BF ghia ive ever seen looks better the even dare i say it G6ET. No hang on it does
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2009, 02:14 AM   #132
AllCoupedUp
Garage Dreaming...

thanks xr6 - not really a fan of jag, nor MB Sclass. Having owned a 5 series before, I kinda like the BMW's.

So, been checkin a few 7's out and sounds very much like the same issues with Caprice... Gremlims and big costs to fix. Hmmm...

Honestly, when you guys see someone in a 7 what do you think?? eg "nice car, wish I had one", or "they must be successful", or "loser in a barge", or ..........??
Old 09-03-2009, 05:05 AM   #133
azaxr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.4 GT
Yeh steering wheel looks a bit funny but here are some better pics of the 2002 E65 745i interior:

The quality of materials used in the interior are exceptional. Got to remember this was a 240k car back in 2002.

Makes a mockery of anything the locals can produce and is a bargain at this price with all the stuff it comes with.

I agree with your comments, No doubt that is a well presented car and has alot of features that ford haven't even thought of yet.

But theres just something about the layout of if that turns me off it. Looks really squishy and all grouped together?
azaxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2009, 10:32 AM   #134
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I don't know what the rules are like with your salary packaging but I know that with ours the car can be second habd but must be less than 6 yrs old at the end of the lease period. That would count out any 2002 and 2003 cars.

I have seen some BMW 540's for the sort of money that you are looking at that are 2-3 yrs old. They would be a cinch to package, V8, lots of creature comforts amd reliability far superior to the statesman. Worth a thought?

BMW E60 540 Private sale

BMW E60 540 dealer

Just in case you want to stretch the budget
Old 09-03-2009, 02:11 PM   #135
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Honestly, when you guys see someone in a 7 what do you think?? eg "nice car, wish I had one", or "they must be successful", or "loser in a barge", or ..........??
when i see these sort of cars (MB, BMW,AUDI etc), esp the up spec ones i generally picture myself driving one and having it parked in my drive/carport. i don't actually think too much about the driver but more about the car, and how i'd like to own one.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2009, 02:18 PM   #136
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just a wild thought, but what about a new Chrysler 300C?

Wait scratch that, just saw your post from a few pages back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.

Last edited by Daymoe; 09-03-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2009, 04:25 PM   #137
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go the Caprice ford lost its classy V8 sole when they dumped the fairlane IMHO

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2009, 06:00 PM   #138
Jondalar
Formely FG G6E Turbo

With the BMW's be prepared to pay a MINT for servicing and if anything goes wrong outside warranty make that a small fortune. I had an E34 540i and yes it was a fantastic car and way ahead of it's time tech wise. I got it with 130,000km on it 6yrs old and one suspension bushing needed replacing, cost was about $1500!

Also those 4 litre V8's are gutless as hell at low revs.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:28 PM   #139
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Have you thought about a GT-E?? i no its an FPV but its one hell of a sweet car!, Even maybe consider a G6E-Turbo?? Not v8 but just as fun!
Old 09-03-2009, 07:14 PM   #140
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUF_302
Have you thought about a GT-E?? i no its an FPV but its one hell of a sweet car!, Even maybe consider a G6E-Turbo?? Not v8 but just as fun!
Mate read the thread before you post maybe? you might not look as foolish maybe?

Just maybe
Old 11-03-2009, 12:23 AM   #141
XESP351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If a GT-E is in your price range (which it sounds like it may be for the $60k someone mentioned before) then that would be a perfect fit for ya.

If it was me i would have a G6ET in a heartbeat, and i am V8 man, you just can't beat that for value.
XESP351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2009, 06:45 PM   #142
AllCoupedUp
Garage Dreaming...

How things change!!

I did my back a couple of weeks ago (quite badly as I found out today from the scans :evil3: ) and all of a sudden things like ingress / egress, seating position, seat quality and construction, seat comfort and adjustability have a rather different emphasis!! I haven't been able to drive anything for a while and I'm missing the whole driving thing...

Being 6'6" (2m ish) tall and lanky, seats have always played an important role for me but I've always managed to find a comfortable position in all my Fords. But now that I've been shown how to sit in the car, the seats are not good. They're designed for Joe Average, not Steve Lanky...

I've decided to start some research into car seats in the cars I've been interested in:
Caprice is out - I remembered how flat and unsupportive that was with a good back...
G6ET - can't really remember it so it should be OK.
BMW 7 - holy cow - there's more adjustments in that car than there is adjustments on Michael Jacksons face.
Force - I'll have to re-look at it.
XR5T - didn't consider this car earlier due to size but apparently it's got some of the best seats in the business...
BFII F'Ghia - I've had a BA before and ended up completely customising the seats coz they weren't that good.
GT-E - same seat as G6ET.

Just spoke with Recaro today too...

Changes a few things doesn't it!
Old 12-03-2009, 06:52 PM   #143
Wally
XP Coupe

My daughter has pretty bad scoliosis, so standard seats aren't much good. She has had her driver's seats rebolstered by an auto trimmer to be more supportive.

Just a thought.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2009, 06:56 PM   #144
AllCoupedUp
Garage Dreaming...

That's a great idea Wally - Blackman's have done a couple of my show cars so I might have a chat to them too.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:06 PM   #145
AllCoupedUp
Garage Dreaming...

OK - decision made!! Just that it's not in the Ford camp though (I've still got two Fords though!!) and no it's not the Caprice either. Not in the euro camp either!!

I've decided to keep the Liberty. After badly damaging my back, I've been researching seats and seat modifications etc and I couldn't bring myself to hack into a brand new car (take a hit on depression then spend a fortune on the interior), so I've just had the my seat in the Liberty modified and retrimmed the remaining of the car while I was at it to brighten it up.

I seriously did not think it would end this way, but in the end I now have three things that I'm very happy about...
1. I actually sleep at night now 'coz the decision has been made,
2. The wife is very happy as she really loves the Lib and actually didn't want to see it go (now she tells me!!), and
3. Since making the decision approx two or so weeks ago, I have a new found interest in my coupe project car again. Funny thing is, about 3 days after I made my decision, the panel beater that I've been waiting for 4 years for to work on my car rang me and said he's ready for it!!! Yeee-haa!!

Gotta love how life just 'works' out in the end. Now the only thing I've got to do is work out how to trade in my spine!

Thanks for all your thoughts, comments, and ideas guys. It really did open my eyes to so much more.

End of thread. Tennis match over.

Cheers
Old 04-04-2009, 10:26 PM   #146
Trendseeker

Hang on a moment; don't leave the thread just yet....

Quote:
But now that I've been shown how to sit in the car, the seats are not good.
The Territory has a comfortable seat (as you would well know). But I'm interested in the advice you were given on how to sit in the car to avoid back problems. What was it?
Trendseeker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2009, 10:39 PM   #147
AllCoupedUp
Garage Dreaming...

WhiteSR - that's a whole new post and is a very 'personal' thing. It will cause too much bickering about what is the 'correct' driving position. I don't want that to happen in this post. If you're really interested, PM me.

Cheers