Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-06-2014, 09:25 AM   #121
Motorbreath310

Default Re: why do you like driving an "old" car?

Here we go;

http://youtu.be/ZcjpXbMiCtg

This sums it up pretty well.
Motorbreath310 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2014, 09:28 AM   #122
T-Pak Addict
Jim

Driving a car with non power assisted drum brakes all round is an experience just on its own.... Forget the fact 3 on the tree, no air con & lucky if you got a heater!!! Couldn't change down to 1st because non syncro box....

I miss my old car, I loved it...

None of my adult kids could drive it, it was just to weird for them.....
I seriously need another one, just getting it past the misses is another thing...

The Old Daily.......2003 Octane BA Taxi Pak Egas Falcon Build Thread
T-Pak Addict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2014, 09:36 AM   #123
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post

hailing a car from the 60s or 70s is a little bit like being envious of a caveman. Wobbly handling, no air cond, slow, lucky if it has a fm radio. Simplicity in life is one thing but the caveman wasnt better off either.

It's an appreciation of engineering from a different era. Parts that were build by skilled tradesmen without the benefit of CAD or CNC. Restoring these old cars and their parts requires hands on skills. You need to understand how the parts operate and fix these worn components.

Put a hit and miss engine next to a modern generator and I'll spend hours watching the hit and miss engine run. I'll also spend hours looking at an old saddle that was made by a craftsman or an old piece of cabinetry made by a carpenter.
Old 18-06-2014, 09:46 AM   #124
superyob
Banned

Quote:
I still think there is a good blend of modern features and simplicity.

hailing a car from the 60s or 70s is a little bit like being envious of a caveman. Wobbly handling, no air cond, slow, lucky if it has a fm radio. Simplicity in life is one thing but the caveman wasnt better off either.

cars like the au are a great blend of substantial features and performance without the clutter of modern tech gizmos. But cars from 60s and 70s are like living like a caveman.
?????? The AC in my 1971 ZD was colder than anything they make now and it does not wobble and while not a powerhouse, it's not slow... And it will attract more attention than any AU!

Please get your information correct before you post wantonly ignorant inexactitudes!!!
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-06-2014, 10:20 AM   #125
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

But cars from 60s and 70s are like living like a caveman.
When the bloke that ordered my car in 1973, apparently he liked ticking boxes.
Power steering, electric windows and air conditioning just to mention a few.

And I`m not sure about that caveman, but I know a few people that would rather sit around a Campfire than a Plasma with Top Chef on.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2014, 10:35 AM   #126
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

So I'm a caveman? I can live with that. Funny because I call old Fairlanes and LTDs dinosaurs. Pre 1978 of coarse.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2014, 11:09 AM   #127
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
But cars from 60s and 70s are like living like a caveman.
This bit I can agree with, because just like a caveman, cars of the 60s and 70s take a club to those they find annoying and not worthy of their company.
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2014, 11:37 AM   #128
TRAU BLAU

Many years ago I had the chance to buy a cheap Chrysler Charger but I didn't because I thought that I'd kill myself in it(wild days).If my AU is slow I'm glad it is 'cause it's the sudden quick acceleration that 's so lethal!With all the speed fines you can't go fast anyway so is the Audi a better cruiser than the AU?
TRAU BLAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2014, 11:50 AM   #129
rocketscientist
AHHHH...WHAAATTTT

...because there's nothing funnier than watching kids hang out of a car window taking a picture of your car as you pass them on the freeway. Tends not to happen when I'm driving my other car.
rocketscientist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2014, 12:28 PM   #130
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorbreath310 View Post
Here we go;

http://youtu.be/ZcjpXbMiCtg

This sums it up pretty well.
vid out there of some cool old dude with an old big block, twin carb, ex moonshine runner

tells the story of the car, farts around, starts it up and goes for a spin

cant find the ******* thing at the moment
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2014, 12:39 PM   #131
66FAIRLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

deleted by me before the mods got to it.
66FAIRLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2014, 02:02 PM   #132
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66FAIRLANE View Post
deleted by me before the mods got to it.
skid pics on private roads is cool
2 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2014, 02:18 PM   #133
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Pak Addict View Post
Driving a car with non power assisted drum brakes all round is an experience just on its own.... Forget the fact 3 on the tree, no air con & lucky if you got a heater!!! Couldn't change down to 1st because non syncro box....

I miss my old car, I loved it...

None of my adult kids could drive it, it was just to weird for them.....
I seriously need another one, just getting it past the misses is another thing...
thats a Masters Apprentice, Daddy Cool car rocking out right there

drove HR 161 and three on tree crunchy all the way here and back

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_Hill_Station

went good, jumps at train crossings and even managed to get booted out of the Tarcoola hotel

lol
3 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2014, 03:10 PM   #134
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
cars like the au are a great blend of substantial features and performance without the clutter of modern tech gizmos. But cars from 60s and 70s are like living like a caveman.
You will never know & appreciate the experience what it is like to own & drive an old car from a bygone golden era.

I feel sorry for ya.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2014, 04:10 PM   #135
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
You will never know & appreciate the experience what it is like to own & drive an old car from a bygone golden era.

I feel sorry for ya.
Exactly. I used to even love driving around in the 1957 Morris Minor we used to own.
Sorry, but an AU isn't "old". Of sure, in years it might be "getting on a little", but it's still very much a modern car.

I've heard people place "requirements" on what makes a "classic". Mostly things like "chrome bumpers" for a start. There are others, but the concept of what makes a classic or an "old car" varies wildly.
If you want to see real vitriol and division, look around at the classic bike movement and see the arguments and anger about what constitutes a "classic bike". Some people say that anything Japanese simply cannot be a classic. Some say that the cut off date should not be a rolling date of, say, thirty years, but be a fixed date, something like 1980. Some say that only certain makes should be worthy of being called "classics" no matter what the age. It's funny and at the same time sad to see, when everyone should just realise that they all enjoy the same thing, but some people happen to like things slightly different to what others might.

I agree with a rolling date by the way (thirty years seems pretty good), as well as chucking in some much more modern stuff that will most likely be considered "classic" in years to come.
That could include something which was revolutionary like the AU...maybe in spite of (or possibly even because of) the controversy over the love-it-or-loathe-it design.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2014, 04:28 PM   #136
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Yeah I agree with a rolling date and 30 years seems like the mark. As to be able to get club rego in most states, it has to be around that. If a car or motorcycle can still run after 30 years then it deserves the title.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2014, 05:05 PM   #137
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketscientist View Post
...because there's nothing funnier than watching kids hang out of a car window taking a picture of your car as you pass them on the freeway. Tends not to happen when I'm driving my other car.
So one could say that classic car is for people with extroverted personalities that enjoy the attention. For shy ones like myself sleeper concept suits better :-)
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2014, 07:47 PM   #138
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Something I see in my wider appreciation of automobiles, is that modern cars at the top end of the spectrum are just becoming too perfect and in ways that are really irrelevant.

We see this in many areas of technology where it passes (what I think of as) a "glass ceiling." In my adulthood, I have seen computer monitors progress, where each new evolution was an improvement, but now the human eye can nolonger tell the difference. Now days I tend to buy a new laptop when one I gave to the kids has finally worn out (it needs another new battery and power supply, the harddrive is dicky, the keyboard has fallen to bits, and the internal fans don't work.) I don't buy "because I need the new technology".

Living in WA, and getting older & fatter, I want A/C in my car. But I don't need a dodgy touch-screen and a BCM to control it. A button for the a/c, and a tap to control the heater is all I require.
I was initially annoyed that my new Ford came without cruise-control, and that one was not available. But I got used to to it.

My current ride has one of the best adaptive automatic gearboxes in the world. It's connected to sensors that tell the CPU what the driving conditions are, whether it is raining, condition of the road surface, load, gradient, etc. It's brilliant, it always seems to know exactly what mode I'm driving in, and it practically "senses" when I need to change gear.
At which point the CPU tells my feet and left hand to move accordingly.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2014, 08:51 PM   #139
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I like driving an old car for the fact I have to drive it, retaining the skills I've acquired over many years.
These days I also own a car that tells ME when it's going to light the instrument cluster based on ambient light OUTSIDE the car, not based on the fact I can barely see the instruments. There are cars now that I no longer have to check my blindspots when changing lanes because it'll warn me someones in the next lane, can reverse park itself because after 31 years of driving I no longer need that skill, nor that I even need to pay attention while driving in traffic because the car will automatically brake to avoid a collision. I can distract myself setting the inside temp to enth degree while downloading a song that couldn't find scrolling through my I-phone plugged into my stereo whilst driving........
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2014, 10:42 PM   #140
T-Pak Addict
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
My current ride has one of the best adaptive automatic gearboxes in the world. It's connected to sensors that tell the CPU what the driving conditions are, whether it is raining, condition of the road surface, load, gradient, etc. It's brilliant, it always seems to know exactly what mode I'm driving in, and it practically "senses" when I need to change gear.
At which point the CPU tells my feet and left hand to move accordingly.
That's just awesome.....

Old 18-06-2014, 11:09 PM   #141
zilo
BANNED

I like driving old cars cause they have carburettors and points.

None of that computer stuff that no one really knows how to fix anymore.

The slightest thing that goes poof in the modern cars and they need a tow truck.

Changeover computers for a thousand bucks a throw...yeah right.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2014, 11:10 PM   #142
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
So one could say that classic car is for people with extroverted personalities that enjoy the attention. For shy ones like myself sleeper concept suits better :-)
Not me
I sink into the seat with embarrassment. The attention makes me think that there is something peculiar or strange about me . I actually prefer not to be noticed
neptune blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2014, 01:06 AM   #143
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post

I agree with a rolling date by the way (thirty years seems pretty good), as well as chucking in some much more modern stuff that will most likely be considered "classic" in years to come.
n.
Plenty of attempts at defining an old car. The rolling 30 years is a bit excessive

Realistically despite years or age, a car is probably considered old when it's past it's best use wise. Like everything when it doesn't perform at its peak anymore it's considered old

For a car, let it be a ford 6 or 8, you would be lucky to see 250000-300000km before it falls to bits or needs major reconditioning. (Log books usually stop at these km) At this point, it's beyond old, it's near expired.

Car manufacturers usually stop fixing things (no warranty) when they hit 100,000km or 3 years. So somewhere between the 100,000km out of warranty mark and the 300,000km useful life lies when a car is old. I'd say call it 200,000km regardless of years..

For the most cars that do an average 20,000km per year, it leaves them as old at 10 years or 200,000km whichever comes first. But certainly not 30 years.

Probably a fair way to define old. When things are likely to be replaced outside routine servicing or maintenance costs increase.

Last edited by HULK_I6T; 19-06-2014 at 01:11 AM.
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2014, 01:54 AM   #144
T-Pak Addict
Jim

So you saying my BA is an old car then?? at 570,000 kays it must be old....

Old to me is anything steel bumpers...

Old 19-06-2014, 07:45 AM   #145
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Plenty of attempts at defining an old car. The rolling 30 years is a bit excessive

Realistically despite years or age, a car is probably considered old when it's past it's best use wise. Like everything when it doesn't perform at its peak anymore it's considered old

For a car, let it be a ford 6 or 8, you would be lucky to see 250000-300000km before it falls to bits or needs major reconditioning. (Log books usually stop at these km) At this point, it's beyond old, it's near expired.

Car manufacturers usually stop fixing things (no warranty) when they hit 100,000km or 3 years. So somewhere between the 100,000km out of warranty mark and the 300,000km useful life lies when a car is old. I'd say call it 200,000km regardless of years..

For the most cars that do an average 20,000km per year, it leaves them as old at 10 years or 200,000km whichever comes first. But certainly not 30 years.

Probably a fair way to define old. When things are likely to be replaced outside routine servicing or maintenance costs increase.
You don't understand the thread you started.

Your defining a car as old when its r&m starts to increase, in some cases that means if its out of new car warranty

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)

Last edited by Auslandau; 19-06-2014 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Careful with the personal insults .....
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2014, 08:05 AM   #146
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:

Hulk I used to think you didn't have a clue, now I know.
7 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2014, 09:15 AM   #147
Motorbreath310

Think; a 10 year-old car, has been through ten hot summers, and ten cold winters. All that annealing of the steel, you're lucky they don't shatter to pieces at the first sign of a pothole. Certainly not something I'd want my neighbours kids from the BBQ driving...
Motorbreath310 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2014, 09:49 AM   #148
66FAIRLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
skid pics on private roads is cool
Na, it was in reference to the post below and may have insinuated the OP was akin to a male chicken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T

Last edited by 66FAIRLANE; 19-06-2014 at 10:11 AM.
66FAIRLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2014, 09:54 AM   #149
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Old cars are awesome that's all there is to it, you either get it or you don't.
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2014, 10:26 AM   #150
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
For a car, let it be a ford 6 or 8, you would be lucky to see 250000-300000km before it falls to bits or needs major reconditioning.
Hmm, we sold our AUII Fairlane (230,000kms) to a business in Syd that runs a fleet of Hire cars, the majority of which are AU Fairlanes.

He thought ours was great as it was (in his words) "just run in" !

I did recently have to replace the Drag link on my 230E Benz !
You're right..... 27 years old and only 540,000 kms! Nothing is made to last these days !