Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 22-08-2012, 12:11 PM   #121
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Default Re: Post-2016 Falcon News and Discussion.

Thanks Sinead.

To support Brazen’s comments a bit more, the way I look at adding another variant to the Territory lineup is from the perspective of adding a bit more product depth to an already strong performer that is in high demand. It is clear that the SUV craze is with us as a permanent fixture in the market, regardless of the size of the vehicle. So some buyers may be after something a little less mainstream and a little less dowdy looking than a family wagon. There aren’t too many faux-sports looking SUV’s out there, and the Territory already has the driving dynamics to live up to a sporty type of image.

The actual task of sourcing the components and building the car might not be that difficult, as the concept (in my mind anyway) is simply utilising what is already in the Falcon parts bin. Colour has a lot to do with a ‘sporty’ look, and you could apply some of the XR range colours to the sporty Territory. XR front seats (fitted to Territory seat bases as they’re by and large the same seat) and XR interior trim fabric, together with the 18 inch rims from the SYII Territory Ghia Turbo would be it. The only bits that would need to be designed and made for the XR Territory is a little skirt kit to round out the XR-style feel and look. There is no need to make any changes to the mechanical or chassis package.

I would imagine AWD diesel versions of this car would fly out the door. Ford could do a “limited edition” run of 500 cars to gauge market reaction before committing to a permanent variant in the lineup.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Old 22-08-2012, 12:11 PM   #122
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinead Phipps
Re Government sales of Falcon EcoBoost: we're working on it from a number of quarters and I know that quite a few Falcon fans have also been supporting that effort by writing to their own local members, which is greatly appreciated.
Just wondering why there has been virtually no advertising of the Ecoboost Falcon? It is an excellent engine - everyone on here agrees with that, but the general public have no idea it exists. Even the EcoLpi engine has been very poorly advertised. Why pour so much into creating great donks for the Falcon then spend so little on telling the buying public?

Compare this to Holden - they have been advertising the electric Cruze for months even though you can't buy it yet - the public are well aware that it is coming.

With due respect; selling the EB Falcon shouldn't fall onto forum members writing to local members - Ford's advertising should be selling the car's brilliance and then you would have companies knocking your doors down to buy these economy variants.
Old 22-08-2012, 12:41 PM   #123
Elements

Thanks for your contributions so far Sinead. Good to see these things are making discussion points "behind the scenes".

One thing to think of guys - sometimes these seemingly 'easy' tasks to do actually cost a lot of money in development, tooling, etc. I am NOT saying a Territory Sport (XR, Zetec, take your pick) is a bad/too expensive choice - but more hinting toward things like people saying "bring back the wagon/panelvan/LWB/XR8" and "do a dual-cab ute/diesel Falcon/Supercharged, Twin Turbo, direct injection, Euro 10 compliant V10 GTHO".
Old 22-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #124
I6DOHC

Hi Sinead,

Thanks to you (& Ford Aus) for taking the time to log on to AFF and provide us direct feedback. It's certainly a a good way to ensure messages are not confused. (I hope there is some significance that you have done this in this thread "Post-2016 Falcon...")

In regards to the Falcon Ecoboost, it's great news that there is some focus being paid to the Government (& Fleet?) sales. The fact this vehicle currently misses the targets set for some goverment fleets under the Green Vehicle Guide seems astounding. Hopefully there is an easy way to rectify this, which I'm sure you guys are looking at. This country needs manufacturing and what is achieved by the Oz car industry in relative terms compared with the rest of the world is something to be proud of. Ultimately we need Aussies to support Aussies, and if it doesn't happen at the Government level something isn't right.

And now what I'd like for Christmas is...Direct Injection on the next iteration of the venerable (Geelong built) Inline 6 for my next XR6 Turbo.
Old 22-08-2012, 04:53 PM   #125
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
We are promoting Falcon - have you seen all of the positive drive reviews and comparisons? They don't happen by accident. Broader marketing is about more than just a TV ad, particularly in this day and age when more and more people have digital recorders and don't even watch TV ads.

100% agree.

There is many ads on the radio advertising the Ecoboost and TDi ranges, plus the $37 990 XR6 Limited Edition...plus there is a lot of stuff on social media and web-adds.

One of australia's most popular automotive enthusiasts websites (Boost cruising) has banner adds dealing with the EcoLpi and smartdrive campaign.

There is plenty of advertising around, and I think some people are limited to thinking that advertising = 20 second TV's adds.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 22-08-2012, 06:04 PM   #126
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
100% agree.

There is many ads on the radio advertising the Ecoboost and TDi ranges, plus the $37 990 XR6 Limited Edition...plus there is a lot of stuff on social media and web-adds.

One of australia's most popular automotive enthusiasts websites (Boost cruising) has banner adds dealing with the EcoLpi and smartdrive campaign.

There is plenty of advertising around, and I think some people are limited to thinking that advertising = 20 second TV's adds.
So you believe Fords advertising of the EB Falcon is adequate? Really?

I have never seen an EB Falcon tv ad on any station, nor seen any ad in Australias biggest selling paper, the Daily Telegraph. Seen the Focus auto reverse park ad hundreds of times, sure, as well as the Territory relaunch, but zip on the Falcon. I have heard a few ads on triple m radio for the lpi, but again zip on the EB. I am only aware of this car because of this forum.

Feel free to diagree, but sales of the EB back me up: which is a shame - Ford you put the $ into making a great car, now let the buying public know about it.

And maybe the Falcon will live on beyond 2016.
Old 22-08-2012, 06:46 PM   #127
prydey
Rob

fiesta man - this thread is meant to be about 'post 2016 falcon news and discussion'. your gripes with ford are well documented on these boards. do you really need to persist and drag down yet another thread??

go buy that mazda.
Old 22-08-2012, 06:55 PM   #128
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
So you believe Fords advertising of the EB Falcon is adequate? Really?

I have never seen an EB Falcon tv ad on any station, nor seen any ad in Australias biggest selling paper, the Daily Telegraph. Seen the Focus auto reverse park ad hundreds of times, sure, as well as the Territory relaunch, but zip on the Falcon. I have heard a few ads on triple m radio for the lpi, but again zip on the EB. I am only aware of this car because of this forum.

Feel free to diagree, but sales of the EB back me up: which is a shame - Ford you put the $ into making a great car, now let the buying public know about it.

And maybe the Falcon will live on beyond 2016.
I don't watch TV Ads, and this trend is growing. How do you propose Ford advertise EcoBoost or any of their products to people like me?

At what point should Ford consider alternative marketing methods when the cost and return on that cost is prohibitive when you're talking TV ads?

Oh that's right, they've got an bottom less pit of money, they can advertise anywhere, all the time!

I'm sure Sinead can explain in detail if she chooses, but the issue is far deeper and more complex than just marketing of Falcon or Ecoboost alone.
Old 22-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #129
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
fiesta man - this thread is meant to be about 'post 2016 falcon news and discussion'. your gripes with ford are well documented on these boards. do you really need to persist and drag down yet another thread??

go buy that mazda.
My point being if the EB and other variants aren't marketed and don't sell (as is the case right now) there won't be a Falcon post 2016. Simply putting such a question to Fords advertising branch is therefore extremely relevant in such circumstances....
Old 22-08-2012, 07:13 PM   #130
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
My point being if the EB and other variants aren't marketed and don't sell (as is the case right now) there won't be a Falcon post 2016. Simply putting such a question to Fords advertising branch is therefore extremely relevant in such circumstances....
no, the point is, they are marketed. just because you don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. i'll go out on a limb and bet my left one that ford will still be manufacturing cars here post 2016.
Old 22-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #131
Elements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
I don't watch TV Ads, and this trend is growing. How do you propose Ford advertise EcoBoost or any of their products to people like me?

At what point should Ford consider alternative marketing methods when the cost and return on that cost is prohibitive when you're talking TV ads?

Oh that's right, they've got an bottom less pit of money, they can advertise anywhere, all the time!

I'm sure Sinead can explain in detail if she chooses, but the issue is far deeper and more complex than just marketing of Falcon or Ecoboost alone.
There it is! Thanks JPFS1. I spent my lunch break trying to word a response like this, and just couldn't get there, before I had to get back to work...
Old 22-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #132
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Sure there are people that don't watch TV ads but its still probably the greatest way to get across to the average person. People will bring up popular commercials in conversation on occasion. Look at ads like AAMI insurance atm for example

Radio ads are useless because people generally just tune out while they are on. I know the new gas Falcon got played a bit on radio but it was more annoying than anything. People dont read the paper anymore. I found that out when I was in real estate. Internet ads are just ignored as they are a pain.
Old 22-08-2012, 08:05 PM   #133
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

If TV adds are not the way to do things these days ....... why start the rash of adverts for the Ranger? They are well recognised through the auto mags and journos with lots written and full of praise? Same with Focus and Terri? Save the money and advertise the same for all? Same goes for Toyota (86), Mazda BT-50 ..... etc. Should save their pennies and try word of mouth? Obviously not working for the Falcon trying to do things on the cheap. Even if it is just the perception .......

Direct adverts to the converted only (Falcon, EcoLPI & EcoBoost) and will promote the other cars to the masses (Everything else)?

Just trying to stick with the Thread Topic as do not want to see an early demise before 2016 just because of a wrong direction in advertising.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 22-08-2012, 08:14 PM   #134
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Perhaps some should learn the difference between marketing and advetrising.....
Old 22-08-2012, 08:16 PM   #135
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
If TV adds are not the way to do things these days ....... why start the rash of adverts for the Ranger?
Simple, Ford believes that advertising Ranger will actually grow sales where as advertising falcon probably won't.

We need to get past the idea that not advertising the Falcon caused the drop in sales,
it's the other way around, Ford stopped advertising falcon because that advertising proved ineffective.
Falcon's fall from grace has more to do with buyers moving onto SUVs and Trucks like Ranger
Old 22-08-2012, 08:27 PM   #136
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
If TV adds are not the way to do things these days ....... why start the rash of adverts for the Ranger?

I would put that down to the segment growing and being highly contested.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 22-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #137
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Simple, Ford believes that advertising Ranger will actually grow sales where as advertising falcon probably won't.

We need to get past the idea that not advertising the Falcon caused the drop in sales,
it's the other way around, Ford stopped advertising falcon because that advertising proved ineffective.
Falcon's fall from grace has more to do with buyers moving onto SUVs and Trucks like Ranger
So you are saying that Ford has given up on finding new customers for Falcon. Everyone knows that the large car segment has shrunk so sales will be lower than in the past but an effort should still be made. I'm not sure how they know that Falcon wouldn't be helped by TV advertising when they haven't had a decent TV advertising campaign for it for over 5 years.
Old 22-08-2012, 08:36 PM   #138
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:

I totally agree with the move to SUV's 100% ...... want a big car, might as well be 7 seater, high position, good towing, etc ...... but a real Falcon advert has not appeared since fingers walking in 2008? It maybe just the perception that FoA has dropped the Falcon already or given up on it. Might not be a fact and as said .... just a perception and they need to shout a little louder. somehow, to get the message out there that all is not lost with it. EcoBoost has not been tried yet in any real form of main stream advertising.

Target market might be larger fleets but there are lots of me's out there who buy cars for their companies, at the moment do have a G6E, Ranger, Territory, GT 335 along with the older BA falcon still doing the rounds. I buy a new one and sell one every year. Not much in the scheme of things I know.

I don't know what the answer is as I am by no means a marketing guru and FoA are in a hard position I am sure but the Falcon just seems to be a little bit ignored, even if FoA do not believe it is.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 22-08-2012, 08:43 PM   #139
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
So you are saying that Ford has given up on finding new customers for Falcon. Everyone knows that the large car segment has shrunk so sales will be lower than in the past but an effort should still be made. I'm not sure how they know that Falcon wouldn't be helped by TV advertising when they haven't had a decent TV advertising campaign for it for over 5 years.
Maybe because Ford are the ones doing the market research, trending and paying the bills.
Yes, by all means be passionate about Falcon's survivability but understand that t's market
is now one fifth of what it used to be, those buyers are gone, moved on and no amount
of TV advertising is going to bring back buyers who are happy with other vehicles.
Old 22-08-2012, 09:10 PM   #140
JG34JA

Quote:
jpd80 - one of the challenges we face as a business - and all businesses face to some degree - is managing complexity. There has to be a big enough demand for something before we can add a new model to the line-up. Doing so means extra parts and manufacturing complexity, adds more complexity to the ordering process and also requires additional marketing and dealer resources to sell it. For Territory, we think our line-up is pretty spot on at the moment (which the sales back up) and we tend to look at special vehicle packs (SVPs) or limited editions as ways to drive spikes in interest and sales at various times.

Thank you for your responses. When my family was looking for our first family wagon in 2007, we were looking for exactly that - an 'XR6ish' Territory. The TS felt about 10 years older than who we were. What arrived was the 2nd SR pack (first black interior) and to this day it looks 'sportier' and 'younger' than its contemporaries. And for Ford's profit, we pretty much specced it up to TS level (individualising cars with options from the factory - you could market and sell that, to a large degree your competitors cannot...) I guess you are right with the SVP's, who knows, in 5 years time we might feel 'old' enough for the TS!
Old 22-08-2012, 09:37 PM   #141
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG34JA
Thank you for your responses. When my family was looking for our first family wagon in 2007, we were looking for exactly that - an 'XR6ish' Territory. The TS felt about 10 years older than who we were. What arrived was the 2nd SR pack (first black interior) and to this day it looks 'sportier' and 'younger' than its contemporaries. And for Ford's profit, we pretty much specced it up to TS level (individualising cars with options from the factory - you could market and sell that, to a large degree your competitors cannot...) I guess you are right with the SVP's, who knows, in 5 years time we might feel 'old' enough for the TS!
I'm not that far over 30, with a territory diesel titanium, what's that say about the way I should feel ;)
Old 22-08-2012, 09:46 PM   #142
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
jpd80 - one of the challenges we face as a business - and all businesses face to some degree - is managing complexity. There has to be a big enough demand for something before we can add a new model to the line-up. Doing so means extra parts and manufacturing complexity, adds more complexity to the ordering process and also requires additional marketing and dealer resources to sell it. For Territory, we think our line-up is pretty spot on at the moment (which the sales back up) and we tend to look at special vehicle packs (SVPs) or limited editions as ways to drive spikes in interest and sales at various times.
Sorry Sinead, didn't look back far enough to see your post.
Yeah, while I can understand the desire to simplify build complexity, recognising a shift in
the market is also essential and what held true as little as two years ago may not be valid today.
I thought that Ford now playing more to retail segment may view a sporty Territory with fresh eyes..
For some reason, TS doesn't feel right, can't put my finger on it - maybe half baked G6 attempt?

What's with XT, that waste of space gets EcoLPI and Ecoboost and sits like a wallflower..
Old 22-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #143
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

Isn't it supposed to be when your product is struggling you fight like hell and spend more on promotion to try to stem the tide. Ford have just laid back and taken it, like they have just given up and excepted their fate without a whimper.

Holden would never do that with the Commodore.
Old 22-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #144
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Isn't it supposed to be when your product is struggling you fight like hell and spend more on promotion to try to stem the tide.
But that's it, the change in market cannot be stemmed, let alone reversed, this is permanent change.

Quote:
Ford have just laid back and taken it, like they have just given up and excepted their fate without a whimper.

Holden would never do that with the Commodore.
They are doing exactly that, different reason though because VE has run its course, highly amortized
but most repeat VE buyers are on their second and won't budge until VF gets here mid 2013.

Last edited by jpd80; 22-08-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 22-08-2012, 10:10 PM   #145
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:

Agree, Territory and Ranger advertising is being seen and heard, I do know many Falcon people who have moved to the Territory its priced in the same market and they love the room.

Add Falcon and Territory sales together and Ford numbers are not shy of the red teams sales.

Territory is Fords wagon, now if we split C/dore sedan and wagon sales there sales wouldn't look any better than the FALCON.

People don't want big sedans anymore and to me it looks like Fords advertising dollar is being spent the models that people are looking for in todays market.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
Old 22-08-2012, 10:13 PM   #146
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In Popular Mechanics. June issue, FORD USA EcoBoost ad. Full page ad.
"Squeezes a gallon of gas so hard
IT SCREAMS
Wicked smart.Thats the new 2.0l EcoBoost engine. It use turbo charging and direct injection to force gasoline to do things it's never had to do.
Like give you the power of a V6 and the fuel efficiency of a 4-cylinder.
Yeah gas just got owned.
THE NEW 2013 TAURUS,
ford.com

Why cann't Ford run that ad here?????????????????????????????????????
"
Old 22-08-2012, 10:21 PM   #147
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
Agree, Territory and Ranger advertising is being seen and heard, I do know many Falcon people who have moved to the Territory its priced in the same market and they love the room.

Add Falcon and Territory sales together and Ford numbers are not shy of the red teams sales.

Territory is Fords wagon, now if we split C/dore sedan and wagon sales there sales wouldn't look any better than the FALCON.

People don't want big sedans anymore and to me it looks like Fords advertising dollar is being spent the models that people are looking for in todays market.
The overwhelming majority of Territorys sold are diesels with practically no discounts attached,
contrast that with Falcon sales, if you can't get a loaded XRg for under $36K, no one will buy..
and then the top 250-300 odd sales a month that go to high series with healthy profit..
Old 22-08-2012, 10:40 PM   #148
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
But that's it, the change in market cannot be stemmed, let alone reversed, this is permanent change.
I don’t think anyone thinks Falcon will go back to what it once was.. But just because the market has changed permanently does not mean you don’t advertise the model underpinning your entire production line. Not using main stream media to launch Ecoboost is just plan dumb. Ford might as well saved the R&D it spent in bring the option here, if that was they marketing plan for Ecoboost. It was a waste of money & a failure before it was even sold with Ford current effects.

Anyway, I don’t want to kept going on about this topic as I think it is one that is polarizing Ford fans on this website & I don’t think either side will agree with the other side
Old 22-08-2012, 11:28 PM   #149
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619

Anyway, I don’t want to kept going on about this topic as I think it is one that is polarizing Ford fans on this website & I don’t think either side will agree with the other side
No doubt one thing we all have in common is we love the blue oval especially the Falcon, we all have questions on there marketing direction but like any business you must spend the money where its going to make you the most money.

I have read on here where members don't like the Territory advert, its the one where the young lady is going to visit all her friends on facebook.
I discussed this add with my step dad and brother they have a marketing company and my step dad has been in marketing all his life and they think in todays marketing strategies this add is very relevant and said he would bet its a successful add being pitched at its potential buyers, a SUV that gets 1000 klm's to the tank, ''big family SUV vehicle thats good on fuel'' is what every family wants..
Here is the full add, I think its very good..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19o2pNJHgoQ

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
Old 22-08-2012, 11:59 PM   #150
XD ESP! XELR8
ESP5 + BOOST

Great Thread OP..

Friend of mine had the hilux and was getting a new one (work car)

I told him to have a look at the ranger, He rang me a week later saying cheers m8 just put a deposit on a Wildtrack..

Cant wait to see this Bad boy, He said it had the power over the hilux and the gadgets inside sound great..

Bit of a wait but i,m sure it will be worth it over the hilux in every way..

Daily drives
BA XR6T lighting strike...Boosted
FG G6ET ego...tuned
F6
Closed Thread